Thread: Legacy of Blood

Legacy of Blood

[OOC]This isn't a back story but tries to shed some light on what Kithrak does with all his money. Writeing these mini-stories helps me flesh out the character's aspirations and goals. Hope you enjoy it.[/OOC]

Kithrak's Yalmaha touched down on a dusty landing pad somewhere in the Newland Desert area. As he was powering down
    the engines the radio played a soothing symphony by the Omni-Orchestra. He waited until the piece was over before opening
    his air conditioned canopy and was hit by a blast of dry desert air. Kithrak flinched and frowned momentarily at the discomfort. Looking around, the landing pad was in the middle of nowhere more or less. The only building in sight was a run down shack with an equally run down service droid recharging next to it. Despite the uncomfortably hot weather and barren landscape Kithrak felt peaceful, the chaos that is Rubi-Ka momentarily forgotten. His boots cunched noisily as he crossed the landing pad made of compacted dirt and made his way to the shack. Kithrak pushed a botton next to the door and waited. The security camera above him powered up, focused on him for a bit and the door clicked open.

Inside the shack was a well lit stairway leading underground. He proceeded down the stairs and walked past a long hallway.
    As he reached the end of the hallway two auto turrets sprung up from the floor boards and their barrels locked onto him. He
    ignored them and stepped through the automatic door into an ordinary living room.

There were several children playing stopped as they looked up at the strange man that just entered. The room was plainly
    furnished as Kithrak looked around for the caretaker. An elderly woman entered with a tray holding milk and cookies.

"Ah, there you are Kithrak. How was your flight here?"

"Uneventful, how are your children Janie?"

"Up to mischief as always, you know how children are." The elderly woman crackled.

"I've braught you some more money for this month." Kithrak held up an electronic credit chip.

"The children and I thank you again Kithrak. Why don't you join me for some milk and cookies in the kitchen?" Janie set her
    tray down on a table and the children that were playing crowded around helping themselves.

He nodded and followed Janie to the kitchen. The kitchen was rather spacious for an underground room and resembled a
    small cafeteria with a half dozen small tables designed to seat children. Like the rest of the underground areas, it was well
    lit but planly furnished.

Janie pointed to a full sized table. "Have yourself a seat while I go get your milk and cookies."

Kithrak felt slightly uneasy at being treated just like the children but nodded and sat down without complaint. He wondered if
    all elderly people treat people younger than them like children and if he would be like this too when he grows old..... If he
    managed to live that long, he reminded himself bitterly.

<To be continued....>

Edit, fixed typo nyah!
    Last edited by Kithrak; May 13th, 2003 at 08:21:30.
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

Re: Legacy of Blood

Originally posted by Charles

As he reached the end of the hallway two auto turrets sprung up from the floor boards and their barrels locked onto him. He
    ignored him and stepped through the automatic door into an ordinary living room.
    Continue! Continue!

Btw, small typo
    [QAETUS]-[FIRST ORDER]
    Qaetus the Chain Insurance Claim Caster
    ‘I asked God for strength that I might achieve; I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.
    I asked for help that I might do greater things; I was given infirmity that I might do better things.
    I asked for riches that I might be happy; I was given poverty that I might be wise.
    I asked for all things that I might enjoy life; I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
    I got nothing that I asked for, but everything I had hoped for. Despite myself, my prayers were answered. I am among all men most richly blessed.’

Legacy of Blood (Part 2)

Janie returned holding a tray with some cookies and a glass of milk. "So what have you been doing these days?"

Kithrak took a cookie and found it still warm from the oven as he bit into it. "Oh nothing much, just the usual stuff at the office, keeping everything together."

Janie held her wrinkled hands out on the table and leaned foward on the table expectantly. "Has there been any word from the ICC about our complaint?"

He paused in the middle of takeing another bite and sighed. "The ICC refused to acknowledge your complaint."

"Just like that?" The elderly woman asked.

"Just like that."

"Then what are we to do? A group of clanners came by the other day demanding that we leave." The woman's voice held a hint of anger.

"I thought paid for those auto turrets to keep them out." Kithrak frowned.

Janie shook a fist at his face. "They were armed! What can I do if those auto turrets failed? What is an old woman like me supposed to do, when they do not worry about dying because of insurance? But I do worry, for the children and myself. I deactivated the turrets."

"Well....I can assign more droids here certainly...."

Janie cut Kithrak off. "It is because of your turrets that we're in trouble. They now think that we're one of `them`, with Omni-Tek!"

Kithrak bit his lip. "Look, I'm sorry. I thought it was supposed to help keep the clanner thugs out and you safe."

She sighed. "I know you meant well Kithrak, but the clanners that came by meant business. They won't stop coming until they have what they want."

"The ICC won't even listen. They say I'm just a minor bureaucrat that isn't worth their time."

"Then we are on our own then."

Kithrak finished his cookies. "No, you still have me. You know Janie, if you would only let me take you and the children back to Omni-Tek we can take care of you."

Janie glared at Kithrak. "NO. I will not allow the children be a part of this senseless fighting."

He throws his hands up in the air. "I know, I know. You keep saying you won't want the children to be a part of the legacy
    of blood that makes clanners and Omni-Tek employees hate each other. You've told me that story a thousand times. Not all of us are like that you know."

"I know. But there are not enough people like you." Janie said with a sigh.

"If those clanners think you are with Omni-Tek they might decide to hurt you and the children even though you are Neutral. Please
    consider my offer for you and your children to take up refuage with Omni-Tek at least for now."

"I need some time to think about it. If Omni-Tek knows that these children are unregistered, you know how Omni-Tek will put the children in its schools and brainwash them."

Kithrak cringed noticably. "They won't find out."

Kithrak said his goodbyes to Janie and headed back to the front door. He watched as the children crowded around Janie with a plate of cookies. There were not enough and watched as the children bickered over who should get the last cookie, two of the older boys got into a fight and threw a few punches at each other before Janie ran over and scolded them. He wondered if it was human nature to be so greedy. The thought was brushed aside with figureing out how to sneak them into Omni-Tek territory without being detected by Omni-Tek. A shadow of guilt followed as he walked back to his Yalmaha, knowing that he was partially responsible for the children in the orphanage.
    Last edited by Kithrak; Jun 3rd, 2003 at 10:29:05.
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-