Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye cruel world, I’m leaving you today. Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye.

Unhappy Goodbye cruel world, I’m leaving you today. Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye.

Goodbye, cruel world,
    I'm leaving you today.
    Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye.
    Goodbye all you people,
    There's nothing you can say,
    To make me change my mind.
    Goodbye.

Goodbye Cruel World (listen), The Wall – Pink Floyd

Garret ‘Bonefish’ Silvestrini left the SPARTA office for the last time. It was the birth of a bright fresh new day outside, and Rome’s blue district was still largely waking up as only a couple of hours had passed since the break of dawn. Garret himself had been up early; his shuttle was leaving first thing. His driver had stopped by the office en-route to the shuttle downport so his passenger could pick up a last few personal items, and now waited at the bottom of the office steps patiently.

Garret noticed him still waiting beside the gravlimo where he had left him, and so turned back to face the door. “Office, initiate full secure lockdown and activate permanent perimeter security measures. Authorisation level Ross Omega Omega One Alpha Omega.”

“Verify identity.” The somewhat detached and soulless female voice desponded from the door, needing final authorisation before closing down and securing the office in such a way that only Silvestrini or Ross himself could reverse it.

“Silvestrini, Garret, Director SPARTA. Complete lockdown, Silvestrini Alpha.” He responded with practised ease, as if it was something he did every day, yet had never actually done before.

Thick metal shutters slid slowly down over the office windows, before with a note of echoing finality a second skin metal door slid down over the office’s regular one.

“Lockdown complete.” The female voice confirmed, “Goodbye Director.” She continued without a hint of emotion.

“Goodbye office.” Garret replied as if on social autopilot, then shook his head at him himself, smirking ruefully. The office had no character, soul, or intelligence, these were just pre-programmed automated phrases, and it was entirely pointless talking to her, it, as it was not listening, and would not respond.

He turned around and drank in the stunning tranquil beauty of Rome where the office was situated one last time and smiled. He would definitely miss it. Padding quickly back down the steps and back to the gravlimo the driver straightened as he approached and opened the rear door for him.

“Are we done Sir?” He asked the director politely.

“Yes, head directly to the shuttle downport.” Garret replied. Only moments later the gravlimo was climbing high into Rubi-Ka’s morning sky, and Rome fell away beneath them.

Even though he had only been on Rubi-Ka two and a half years and had served longer postings elsewhere, Rome had become more of a home to him than any place had before, he really would miss it. And he would miss her. He closed his eyes and fell into his memories.

Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?
    Remember how she said,
    That we would meet again,
    Some sunny day.
    Vera!
    Vera!
    What has become of you?
    Does anybody else in here feel the way I do?

Vera (listen), The Wall – Pink Floyd

An hour or so later the gravlimo pulled up directly onto the tarmac of the shuttlepad, a rare occurrence that caused a number of facility workers to turn their heads in curiosity at who had just arrived to depart. The driver stepped out and moved around to open Garret’s door, who in turn stepped out. He glanced around, assessing the scene a moment before turning towards the shuttle. Behind him the driver was already unloading his luggage.

“Good morning Sir!” The slightly annoyingly chirpy shuttle pilot called out as he approached the director.

Garret nodded in return as he walked towards the man as the datapad in his pocket vibrated slightly, seeking his attention.

“We’re just finishing fuelling now; we’ll be ready to go shortly.” The pilot smiled enthusiastically, “Say… didn’t I bring you here?”

“Probably.” Was all Garret responded, the pilot was increasingly annoying with his damn chirpiness. He took the datapad out of his pocket and keyed it on, curious what was up.

“I guess a permanent move huh Sir?” The pilot tried to continue the conversation, nodding at the increasing pile of luggage the driver was producing from the gravlimo.

“Indeed.” Garret replied, thumbing through a report on the small datapad in his hand.

“So what are you going to do now? Anything interesting?” The pilot continued, as if Garret was a friend. This annoyed him, the former security-intelligence director immediately found over-friendly people su****ious. But then InternOps made you like that.

“That’s classified.” He replied point blank.

“Oh.” The pilot shifted awkwardly. “Anywhere nice?” He tried to continue weakly.

“I’ve accepted a promotion and it involves reassignment to Omni Prime. So no, not particularly nice, and yet not particularly bad either. It’s a living.” Garret smirked at his own humour that the pilot unsurprisingly didn’t seem to find funny.

An uneasy silence descended for a few moments as Garret studied the information on his datapad, ignoring the silent shuttle pilot as he obviously tried to think of something else to say.

“So… who’s running your department now Sir, if you don’t mind me asking?” The pilot finally spoke.

“No-one, it’s stood down.” Garret replied point blank again.

“Oh? How come?” The shuttle pilot seemed genuinely surprised.

“The corporation hasn’t had any threats to its security, facilities, or personnel for a good while now, significant or otherwise. Basically I’m no longer needed here, and nor is my department really. Nothing for us to do. So I’ve been promoted and reassigned, and my people have been reassigned to different areas of the corporation here on Rubi-Ka.” The director detailed, not sure why he was even entertaining this conversation.

Garret thumbed an option on his datapad and cycled through a list of names before coming to hers. He keyed it and the screen immediately switched to a video feed from one of Rome’s street security cameras. The target was an Opifex woman buying breakfast from a street vendor. She looked sad and tired, as if she had not slept, and in truth she might not of.

He recalled their last conversation. She was not happy he was finally going, even though she had known for months he always was going to. She had said she understood his personal sacrifice for the corporation, but he wasn't sure she did. Without fault the corporation had always looked after him, so he would always look after it. He was all but married to it. The corporation was his family, and his life.

It was a bitter pill to swallow all the same, for them both. He studied her face and did not know who was dealing with it worse, her or him.

“Oh right, so you’ve kind of finished everything up and now you’re off?” The pilot chided with his frustratingly please-punch-my-face-in smirk, unable to see the screen or what the director was looking at.

Garret watched her for a long silent moment; his heart sagged so heavily he thought it would fall out of the bottom of his stomach.

“No.” Was all he replied to the shuttle pilot, who in turn frowned at the answer, not sure how it fitted the question.

“Well, I’ll leave you to it Sir,” he thankfully finally said, “we’ll be ready for departure in about ten minutes, board when you’re ready.” Past them the driver had started to transfer the luggage onto the shuttle.

I wanna go home,
    Take off this uniform and leave the show,
    But I'm waiting here in this cell because I have to know,
    Have I been guilty all this time?

Stop (listen), The Wall – Pink Floyd

Garret was deep in a world of his own now, there could of been an anti-matter war raging around him for all he was aware. He was leaving his Rome and what was left of his department behind, and both hurt, but nothing hurt anywhere near as much as leaving her.

There had been plenty of women over the years, plenty of lovers, but love itself had previously been an alien concept to the InternOps officer. Before Rubi-Ka, before her. He had never loved before her, and as he stood there on the shuttlepad, his heart bleeding as if cut from his chest, he thought he would never love again.

They had shared so many things, so many times, so much mental, emotional, and physical intimacy; she had all but become a part of his very being and his life in a way he thought nobody ever could of.

“Goodbye Raquel.” He murmured quietly to himself, touching her face on the small view screen one last time and holding the moment, before keying it off and looking up. He refused to allow himself to shed a tear, and it took every ounce of strength to do it.

Without even looking around a last time he walked up the ramp into the belly of the shuttle, and left Rubi-Ka.

All alone, or in twos,
    The ones who really know you,
    Walk up and down outside the wall.
    Some hand in hand,
    Some gather together in bands,
    The bleeding hearts and artists,
    Make their stand.
    And when they've given you their all,
    Some stagger and fall.
    After all it's not easy,
    Banging your heart against some mad bugger's wall.

Outside The Wall (listen), The Wall – Pink Floyd
    Ooookay. That’s my lot, I’m done.

I have so many good friends here, two good years full of good memories, and it’s hard to say goodbye to individual people without forgetting someone, so I won’t. Instead; goodbye everyone, it was a blast.

I know I’ve not really been here this year, aside from keeping tabs on things, and hey let’s not go into why again, but it was and still is something I feel very strongly about. Naughty Funcom.

But I’ve not been idle in that time, I have been busy, and most of my friends from here know what I’ve been doing for the past six months or so as most of them are involved. Yay. (hint: it involves a galaxy far far away… <cue twinkley music>)

If you’re curious and I’ve not told you, feel free to ask me by mail. This will be my last post here. My SPARTA mail account will go dead at some point in the very near future, so use my RL one; mattchilds@btopenworld.com

Regardless how that turns out, good or bad, it’s highly unlikely I will be back here. AO’s problems are it’s own, and SWG has nothing to do with them. So...

Goodbye cruel world, I’m leaving you today. Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye.

Oooh look, post no. 300. *dances*

Security is everyone's concern.

Omni-Tek protects.

Garret "Bonefish" Silvestrini
    Director - SPARTA
    Chairman of the Omni-Tek Security Council

Founding Member of the Omni-Tek Security Council (OTSEC)

The Omni-Tek Security Council is dedicated to ensuring the company’s security and interests against all threats, coordinating any action deemed necessary to protect corporate assets and personnel.

garret.silvestrini@ot-sparta.org | www.ot-sparta.org

Voted by the community: BEST ROLEPLAYER & MOST INFLUENTIAL OMNI-TEK - Thank you guys!

Bye Bonefish. Was fun playing alongside you
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol
    Level 207 Omni-Tek Dictator
    Meister's Reinforced Suit - Bureaucrats may be gimps, but at least we know how to look good.
    Account Created: 2001-06-27 23:07:32

Take care Bonefish, best of luck to you

You could not have chosen a better band to quote from .

I guess we all knew this was coming sooner or later.

Good luck and take care, Bonefish. I'll miss your random /tells that were sometimes a little unsettling, but always interesting.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Good bye Garret. I sure you'll do great things in SWG.

Savoy
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

ooc

Goodbye, Bonefish. I'm not sure what to say, really, other than thank you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I hope you find fun gameplay somewhere, because you are a true roleplayer.

Player of Lille

Thank you for trying to put me on the straight and narrow... and even if you warned me about that certain guy telling me about falling in to the pools of my eyes.. or what ever it was.. well it didnt work

Maybe we will cross paths again one day.. but for now thank you for being the influence you have been to me over the last year.

Take care Garret.

When the comm signal beeped on her monitor, Jen knew what it was all about even before opening the message. It was weeks she had ben sensing the storm coming, so to say - and now it was breaking out, carrying away a whole part of her life with it. A forced resignation, but one she had forced herself to accept, because there wasn't any other choice. The deal had never been in her hands, after all.

The Fixer kept staring at the terminal for long, long minutes before finally letting out a sigh, and began to read the message, her gaze oddly blank, her lips mutering the word as they were appearing on the screen. "...Resignation order from Omni-prime... blah-blah... due to reasons that blah-blah-blah... demand of transfer signed today, 13:00 Central, by the CEO Office..." Barely a month ago, this would have been a blow directly in her heart; today, she was feeling odly detached... almost numb, devoid of all emotions. It was the only solution she had found not to give away to the depression clawing at her.

It had been an awful spring. The situation her department had been in, the work lessening, more and more, yet only to leave room to other problems, Raquel's terrible sadness, Quinn's nervousness, the long and tiring research, her own relationship with Malcom, so beautiful and yet so doomed... the terrible news Heiji had brought to her, the way she had hated him when he had admitted what he had done, his plans and his decision of forcing her into them, her existence crumbling down... all the feelings, all the despair melting in one huge blur. She couldn't go on like this. She couldn't, she knew it, and yet there wasn't much she could do...

"...office closed undefinitely from today, 13:10 Central. Reassignation of operatives to the following sectors ... blah-blah..." Jen wasn't even really understanding what she was reading, only going on out of habit, maybe. Until her eyes fell on a single sentence, a sentence that, very oddly, made her jerk on her chair and open her eyes wide. "Operative Markarian, Jenae: reaffectation to sector 14, division 9, Digital Resources Development, Engineering Department.Please report to Omni-Admin for further..."

She blinked, once, twice. Engineering Department? That certainly was a mistake. There was no way she could spend the rest of her existence working developping softwares. It must have been a mistake. Or maybe had she read a bit too fast? She checked again; it wasn't a mistake on her part.

"...What the hell?! Ain't gonna work in a friggin' office, dammit! Reaffectation my ass!" What all her decisions, all her inner fights hadn't manages to do, this simple sentence was now a slap in the face, and she felt like suddenly waking up from a long, long slumber.

This was the last drop. It simply couldn't be! She hadn't survived to perma-death and destruction to end up crying in front of her terminal. She hadn't escaped the Dusters to end up doing a lame job, and not after having worked all these months for the S1 Department. She wasn't a woman to stay behind a desk. She was a field operative, and nothing would ever been able to change this.

Jen sighed again, a new spark rising in her eyes now, slowly clenching her fists. In her whole life, SPARTA had been her best affectation, and the best job she had ever had. But the time had come to turn the page and stop complaining.

"G'dbye, boss. G'dbye, SPARTA", Jen muttered, knowing that there was no one but Heiji to hear her words. "Sorry. Kin't ne'er forget ya'll... But ya'll have ta excuse meh. I can't accept this reassignation."

There. It was said, it was done. She didn't know what the ideal solution would be for her, but she was a Fixer, after all - and a Fixer never really needed an official job to maker her way through the world. She frowned again, considering all the other opportunities. She vaguely smiled upon thinking of Dorotha, of Kas, of Dart, Hukk, young Lazaro, all the other people of her kind she had learnt to know. No. A Fixer was always able to set up her own goals. Either she had to react, or to crawl in a corner and let herself die.

Jen closed the message display, and simply decided that she would react. She didn't know how yet, but she would.

((OOC: This was doomed to happen for quite a bunch of months, and it's really a shame... But what is sure is that while it lasted, SPARTA was a blast, it opened for me new doors in the world of RP in what is my very first MMORPG, we met wonderful RPers on our side of the fence as well as on the other side, and I don't regret the experience *at all*. So well, thanks for having allowed us to take part in it. I doubt I can one day forget SPARTA.

Take care, see ya in SWG, and you haven't finished hearing from me anyway, for I'll probably bugger you from the office from time to time ))
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

"Well, I'll miss the insults, but good riddance ya bastard."

((OOC: Not goodbye, but good luck 'Fishy. Some of the most entertaining "small" (things that aren't large or political; rather things that would happen everyday) RP I've had was trading snide remarks and insults at The Cup with you.

But like I said, not goodbye, good luck, take care, and I'll see ya around ))
    Bliqz: "anything Uwen says is a vicious and ugly lie"

Raquel sorely leaned on the small table, her elbows disliking the harsh tabletop. It had been almost 2 hours since she woke up finally, and today the world seemed the cruelest ever. Her 'sis', Jenae seemed glad that she was alright, at least. The past day had been a long one, filled with gut-wrenching pain, nightmares, and now.. this.

On the bright side, the agent's world wasn't filled with shadows any longer. Her appetite had returned somewhat, and the thirst seemed long gone. The "cure", Jen called it, had worked upon her too... so what did Raquel have to lose? Thankfully the process was a success, maybe she was lucky to be an opifex.

Who knew. Who cared. Not Raquel, not now. What seemed to be a good turn was soon met with sadness. Not even an hour before she awoke, her comm silently flashed in the darkness. She'd still been in the safehouse outside Omni-Entertainment, and when she awoke, all that greeted her was that lone blue light. Jenae had left a few hours earlier, as she had watched over Raquel's recovery. She'd been just napping after the process, and everything was fine... was a good thing, Jen needed her sleep too.

The agent, always the worrysome type, had attended to that message quickly, as soon as possible.

This is an announcement from your friendly Omni-Tek Corporation!
    S1 Department is closed. Please refer to the enclosed notes on your employers resignation, possible reassignments, and office agenda.
    Remember, Omni-Tek is your family.

Have a nice day.

She had sat there, stunned. Soon, she was glad she was alone in that room. Tears swelled into her eyes as she read over the enclosed packetmails concerning it all. Her department was terminated. Her work finally ended. He was gone.

Words across her comm display blurred heavily through the tears, tears she'd never suppress. After all she'd been through, they'd been through, there was no way that she'd repress her feelings this time. Her stomach twisted and turned, a lump in her throat dared to choke the life from her. Panic began to set in. She was still fresh from the cure, the world seemed so raw now, no shadows crept around her. And as if a large wound, her heart laid open to pain.

Frantically, she began tapping across her comm's keypad, doing anything she could to find out. Transport numbers, shuttle ports... Omni-1? Raquel scanned the flights as fast as she could, hoping. Finally, after a long moment, she came across it: Silvestrini, Garret - Shuttle Flight 405, Omni-Prime - boarding.

A wail escaped her throat, a wail of utter sadness. All she could do was put her head in her hands and ride the storm. He really was gone. Perhaps it was for the best, he wouldn't see her this way.

As she gazed down at her coffee, now, teardrops dampened the table's surface. Raquel used to think that losing SPARTA would make her life suffer, that it would be the biggest blow to her "world"...

Now, she knew... losing him, would be.

Raquel raised her face, to the sky, as she reached up to remove her sunglasses. They had hidden reddened, eyes, sore eyes, tearful eyes, and as she stared up into the mid-morning sky over Rubi-Ka, she whispered something so familiar, to him.

Spartan, I salute you...

-

If my heart was still alive
    I know it would surely break
    And my memories left with you
    There's nothing more to say

((You know I love ya, Boss... and as much as I knew it'd come one day, I still can't help but cry my ass off over it. All of us SPARTAns had a damn good time, and you know I can never thank you enough for letting me be a part of it.
    See you on the other side.))
    Last edited by sezmra; May 11th, 2003 at 18:05:28.
    Lauri
    Cookiemonger

The Original GSP Groupie

(( Mmm .. Pink Floyd - The Wall.
    Good luck and lots of fun to you in a .. "galaxy far, far away", Bonefish. ))
    Didymus - Solitus Trader, Member of Instability

((Aaaaggh...

Dammit, we're losing everyone... wish SPARTA didn't have to die. I also wish you weren't leaving- you did great things here, you were a good RPer and a nice person. As Savoy said, you will do great things in SWG. Have fun in there; maybe I'll see you there sometime.))
    ~~~~~
    Katelin "Missmaul" Locknane -Sloooowly climbing her way out of the dank pits of gimpness. But stil crazy. Ya know...just in case you cared.

ooc- It is sad to see you all leaving our community . As Noholdsbarre the head researcher of RUR , I enjoyed your part in our rp events. Good to all of you in Sparta wherever you go!

Rheena , Honored Maidens
    Noholdsbarre, RUR

Only regret is that you and I never had the chance to meet at Reets one night and pick apart all the clanners.

Until our paths cross again,

Bliqz.
    Bliqz, Agent, Omni, Atlantean, "Iron Chef of Rubi-Ka"
    God is a bullet.

((The IC only RP forum is back. Bliqz is an Omni Extremist, and his posts IN THAT FORUM reflect that attitude. I can be reached by PM if you feel I have personaly offended you, and I will be happy to change/temper my post. Thank you, and have fun!))

Cathern read the latest signal intercepts. "Well, well, well....Looks like another Omni division down the drain. It's no wonder Omni is loosing the war when they keep closing down their best divisons", she thought to herself outloud. Many a time Cathern and the Director had verbal jousts. "Wonder what new monkies he will find on Prime." Cathern snickered to herself suspecting they would be larger and hairier than any monkies he had found in The Cup. Cathern fired up her grid terminal, logged into the Omni Personnel system with a "liberated" password, and began typing a message.

Attention employees of the now closed SPARTA division. Come work for the Clans. No need to continue working for those who spit on your efforts and reassigned you in a most cold-hearted manner. Free yourselves...before they decide you know too much and have you terminated. Cathern Flowers, Whisper's Edge

Cathern smiled as her message was succesfully stored into the data base, soon to be forwarded to the in-box of all former SPARTA members.

(Bye bye Bonefishy...it's been enjoyable...good luck over..there)
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Farewell 'Fishy...

hauled your rotting, stinking carcass off this dustball, have you? A shame. There was none like you and I fear, the rest of the bunch won't be able to live up to your standarts of crankiness, wit and outright cynicism. I am sorry to see you lift off this planet. And I will thouroughly miss our duels of snide remarks, insults and clashes of opinions in either the Rhompa Bar or the Cup.

Good riddance

Sidarion of Whispers Edge

I met Bonefish outside of Neuters one day as he had a pleasant conversation with Aazamon... what a shrewd, dark, mean, bald, lil'man he was.

Just one word for him... bitter. Bitter to the core, eaten up inside with the company propoganda and his own half-truths...

Rubi-ka will be a much brighter place without so much bitterness.

(( Heh. So long Bonefish... I bumped into you a few times here and there. Was always a pleasure to duel wit and have just proper banter with an OT employee from a Neutral and eventually Clan character...

So long mate... and cheers ))
    Graduate of the Elite Academy

Viray's Yalm Cleaning Services

Viray's Taxi Co.

The moral highground was levelled the very day the first player landed in a backyard, saw a cute leet and said "I wonder what it drops?"

- Savoy

It is Rubi-Ka's loss to see you go Bonefish. Farewell and good luck in your next endevor. The roleplaying community will miss you.
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

I doubt that the Spartans will go clan. They are too well trained for that.
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol
    Level 207 Omni-Tek Dictator
    Meister's Reinforced Suit - Bureaucrats may be gimps, but at least we know how to look good.
    Account Created: 2001-06-27 23:07:32

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast