Thread: Run, Little Buddy, Run

Run, Little Buddy, Run

The DLK-2000 robot was running for its very life. Though just a menial vacuum cleaner bot, the DLK possessed a well developed sense of self-preservation. It understood all too well what the violent intentions of the angry mob chasing it.

How things had changed. Earlier that day DLK had been at hard at work, suction motors contentedly pumping away, filtration systems gently humming at optimal efficiency. The Ambassador Hotel where it worked seemed to produce an almost infinite amount of dust and dirt, and its hotel manager's seemed genuinely pleased with the DLK's single-minded dedication to eradicating it. All of which made for a blissful existence.

It was also a job that required a certain amount of tact and responsibility. Humans wanted their rooms vacuumed for sure, but were somewhat fussy about when the vacuuming should occur. And with so many different people coming and going and so many different schedules, errors could easily be made if one was not careful.

And it was just one such error that triggered the current crisis. It was just past 2 AM when the vacuum cleaner bot approached the hotel's lecture room. Earlier today a private presentation by the Northern Loom Makers had been held. Cleaning after these presentations was a challenge the DLK looked forward too as no two groups ever left the same kind of mess behind.

The robot had stepped into the lecture theatre only to discover it was still in use. The presentation was obviously running seriously late it had surmised, as an impassioned speaker at the far side of the room had continued to address an enthralled audience of loom makers.

"..the simple truth that relentless industrialisation dehumanises. And the symbol of this dehumanisation is
    the robot. Yes, that thing made in the image of man yet constantly undermining man's place in the universe.
    How can we tolerate it? Why should we tolerate it? No more I say. It ends here. The Neo-Luddite Movement will no longer tolerate the ever increasing presence of robots in our society and their -" The speaker had stopped mid sentence to looked hard at the vacuum cleaner robot. "What is this...thing doing in here!" he'd exclaimed.

"Pardon me sirs, I'll be back when you are done." had said the DLK, sensing the disquiet in the audience.

"Your a robot spy!"

"No sir, I am a vacuum cleaner."

The DLK had felt angry stares coming from the audience upon itself, followed by more an more mutterings and curses. As it had turned to leave, it'd heard a the chilling cry, "Smash the bot!" coming from behind. It was then the DLK had decided to start running. The Luddites had followed, chasing it out of the hotel and into the city streets of Omni-1.

Now, some twenty minutes later, the DLK looks into the darkness around itself. The the tall white buildings and paved roads of Omni-1 had given way to trees and earth. "I must have run further than I thought." it reflects. "I don't recognise this area at all. I wonder if they are still chasing me or if they have given up?" Its head rotates a full 360 degrees, sensors picking up any signs of human activity.

"There is it, the damn bot!" says on voice, hidden by the dark and the trees.

"Smash it, smash it good!" replies another one close to it.

In response the DLK unit as it plunges into a blind run deeper into Omni Forest night. It struggles forward. The bot had not been made for this kind of terrain. It is used to glide quietly over smooth, flat surfaces, with nothing more challenging in the way than the odd carpet. Progress in the forest is difficult and the DLK can here the humans gain on it. Panicked it stumbles forward, getting tangled in vines, at first bumping into trees, and then bumping into something altogether harder which results in the vacuum cleaner bot getting knocked to the ground.

"Hello little buddy."

The DLK 2000 unit picks itself up and looks at the stranger speaking to it, a A400-Warbot.

"Safe at last!" explained the DLK.

"What's that you're saying, little buddy?"

"You must help me. There is this mob of highly emotional humans coming after me. I think they plan dismantle me, which is not something I would sonner avoid."

"Clanners?"

"No. They call themselves the Northern Loom Makers, but I now suspect they are in fact from the Neo Luddite Movement."

"No can do then."

"You cannot help me?"

" Sorry little buddy. I am an army bot. I can only deal enemy forces or threats to Omni Tek security." The warbot strikes a fierce pose as he says that. "You really want an Omni-Pol bot if you wish to report an attempted vandalism case."

"It is not very likely I'll find an Omni-Pol bot around here before those human catch me, is it?"

The warbot just shakes its head gravely.

"I better keep running then. Thanks you anyway."

As the DLK makes to go, the warbot quickly adds, "Not that way."

"Please explain?" inquires the DLK 2000.

"If I were running away from a crazy human mob, I'd head North-East, towards the desert. Not of course that I would even need to run for anything." it adds quickly, letting the barrel of its mini-gun spin for emphasis.

"North East. Any specific reason for that?"

"No reason."

"Oh." replies "In that case I think I will try my luck West. I don't think I care much for deserts."

DKL makes to start off to the West, but again it is distracted by the warbot who quickly adds. "Nightcrawlers and gargantula like desert climates. I understand they are particularly aggressive at this time of year."

"That is all very interesting, but I am afraid I am in something of a hurry A400 unit." the DLK replies in a somewhat petulant tone.

"They hunt mostly at night" continues the warbot, unperturbed, "preying on mini-brontos, careless humans and reets among other things."

"Yes, well I really must... Oh!" says the DLK with sudden understanding. "On reflection, North East sounds interesting. Thank you A400. That was very infomrative indeed."

"Your welcome little buddy. And good luck."
    Last edited by Savoy; May 1st, 2003 at 17:17:52.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Bots are so crafty!

(( Not only did I enjoy reading this I was laughing loud enough a few co-workers came to check on me. I let them read it... but most of them just looked confused. Ah'well

Excellent work Savoy!))
    Graduate of the Elite Academy

Viray's Yalm Cleaning Services

Viray's Taxi Co.

The moral highground was levelled the very day the first player landed in a backyard, saw a cute leet and said "I wonder what it drops?"

- Savoy

[I love it. ]
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

(OOC)

You can count me in, cept no bosses to worry about... laughing all the way through... wonder if the NLM will respond wwith their version of the story? Who knows

(/OOC)

::Ognom wonders if the robots have heard of the underground Og-Town railroad::

((Hahah, excellent. ))
    Delia "Aerinyi" Jett
    General of Whisper's Edge
    Atlantean

Neo Luddite ,was a lowly ,lowbie.In otherwords to put it mildly .
    a noob! Only a level 4 trader and the Luddites brought him along
    to the lecture. ''What does looming have to do with bots!?" he exclaimed. ''When a person looms he does not need the artificial
    help of a robot,'' he said. Still the Luddites thought it would be good for his resume and background. The guess speaker was about to start but was interupted by the unthinkable! A bot@!

" Pardon me sirs, I'll be back when you are done." had said the DLK, sensing the disquiet in the audience.

"Your a robot spy!" The speaker exclaimed.
    The robot replied, ''No sir i am vacumm cleaner"

They proceeded to chase the poor bot through Omni entertainment. Neo was in the crowd and closing in fast!

Neo kept runnning but somehow became lost . He ran past
    the whompas into Omni forest. ''This is way past my level of
    hunting expertise!"
    He heard the rest of the rabble behind him.
    They shouted , ""it ran in there somewhere!"
    He ran up to a biofreak and tried to start a trade. ''Would you
    like some omni pol leather boots?"
    Getting no answer he used health funnel on it. It made the bio monster very upset! ''You dont look to happy , Neo said with a nervous smile.
    It chased him all around the forest an even deeper into it.

Very original and ..
    Very very fun reading!
    Great work, Savoy.

Run robot, run!
    Didymus - Solitus Trader, Member of Instability

Re: Run, Little Buddy, Run

OOC: Savoy I loved that story! I think my favorite line in it was this:

Originally posted by Savoy

"No sir, I am a vacuum cleaner."
    ^_^
    Advisor of First Light
    Tradeskill How-To's, Engineer Profession Guides, and Jello Wrestling at The Tir School of Engineering
    Confused by Alien Tech? Check out my Alien Invasion Guides

New to Engineering? Try HighOrbit's Engineer Guide. Thanks HighOrbit

Fantastic.

Really just great. You should be writing a book, if you aren't already. I'm laughing my ass off.

You've got real wit.
    k- This message has been reviewed by intrusive goons searching for "evil-doers".

(( Bumping an old story for no particular reason. But its almost been 2 years, maybe someone missed it first time round :-) ))
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

glad ya bumped it..that was pretty funny, and imma n00b, so i hadn't read it before =)

This is really really clever. I cracked up. Very nice.
    {Self-Moderated by Iolanthe}
    //220//19// ex nihilo, nihil fit

Proud Veteran of Tranquility
    RK-1's First 220 Hawt Solitus Shade
    Hawter than j00 and always right. Always.

-=Mottos to Troll by=-
    "I am Paper. Rock is fine. Nerf Scissors." "Shaddup before I smite you with scary logic bombs
    and keeel you with mind bullets." "You don't have to provide all sides of an arguement
    when the other perspectives are clearly bullsh*t."