Thread: Windguard's Journal

Windguard's Journal

These are the de-classified entries of my father's personal log.

=================
    August 26 29461

Omni-Tek is on the move; their propaganda states they're going to "reclaim all occupied territories by force" because the clans are "disrupting commercial interests". Lisa insists on joining a peaceful protest tomorrow in Omni-1, but I think it will be useless, the Omnis once again want to destroy the clans. She wants me to join her, but I have guard duty in West Athen again, and with all that is happening I doubt Lt. Bolieu will allow it. I heard General Keppler say "I see another war as inevitable" while I was passing the High Command office in Athen. I've made a few calls and made sure my son is not alone; I fear something may happen soon.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

August 27 29461

Lisa is dead. My wife is gone. OT forces fired on the people protesting, not one person was armed, and most were uninsured. My Lisa was among them. How will I raise my son alone? How can I tell him his mother is no more? God give me strength, I'm going to meet my son in an hour. I've been given orders, by nightfall everyone is on full duty status; I must leave my son and join the fight for the survival of our people. I don't know if either one of us will make it through; it has already cost me the love of my life.
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).

August 29 29461

Men and women in my Platoon share my grief, some lost friends and family the 27th, we're helping each other remain strong for the good of our families, and the clans. Unity seems to be in everyone's mouths, clans that nobody expected to agree with one another, much less fight side by side, are putting their differences aside and joining the effort to defend our freedom. Assaults took place today at a few OT military and mine facilities close to clan borders in retaliation to the murder of hundreds of innocents, I wish I had been there to pay them back for what they've done to me and my son.

August 30 29461

The third war has begun, as General Keppler predicted. ICC is doing nothing but observe. We're heading today to an undisclosed location, something about Omnis planning an attack. God knows if I'll survive today to see my son's face again, a fifteen year old who is the light of my life. I fear he is involving himself with a bad crowd, but duty calls and I cannot be there to guide him, I hope he can take care of himself while I'm gone.

August 31 29461

I'm a lucky man to be alive. Yesterday we lost thousands of men to an Omni attack; we've had heavy casualties but some idiots up in the higher ranks boasts that we won the great "Battle of Stret". We barely made it out, the General didn't look too happy, I overheard him talking to one of our Captains, he had told his superiors it was not a good idea to move so many troops in the open without cover, high command ignored his warning in their eagerness for a quick "victory" to show our people. Some victory, over half of my Platoon is still laying on the ground. They would be at a reclaim if it weren't because we don't have the finances to fund so many insurances, but they made sure every officer was insured of course. Grunts can be replaced any day. I'm going to ask my Lieutenant for a few hours of leave so I can see my son.

September 1 29461

I got in good graces with my Lt.; I introduced him to an Opifex who loves men in uniform. He in turn was kind enough to give me a full day's leave. I'm concerned about junior, since his mother's death he has been full of anger for the Omnis. I fear he will do something stupid. His friends are young and eager to join the war; his head is filling with ideas of revenge and death. There is little I can do from where I am; will this war cost me a son?

September 13 29461

The Sentinels went on a rampage today, somehow a team got into Omni-1 and took out a few guards before retreating. Now their security is tripled and no further attempts to get into Omni-1 is possible. What are they thinking? Killing a few guards makes no difference, had they killed Ross it would have done wonders for morale. Still the news spread and people celebrate and rejoice in the death of a few worthless Omnis.

September 26 29461

It's been a month since OT announced they're going to reclaim all clan occupied territories by force. So far they tried a big push south of Athen, we held them back but at the cost of thousands, including most of my Platoon. We're still waiting for replacements. I heard one of the Captains brag about being at the "Battle of Stret" to a few females during our patrol, yet the idiot was safe miles behind our lines. How can we win this war with officers who are trying to get laid instead of trying to get our lands secure and safe from the enemy?

October 4 29461

Saw my son again, he's got a new tattoo with a snake around his arm and he's got a rifle now. He told me everyone was armed now for self-defense, and I could not argue with that. He's growing up; he seems to be learning how to handle his new weapon well. I hope he doesn't go bite more than he can chew. No clan town is safe these days, Omnis are getting bolder, attacking clanners wherever they are, armed or unarmed. Where the hell is the Council of Truth? Nobody has seen a council member for months; clan leaders just receive orders through a secure COMM. Lieutenant Bolieu and I spoke at length today about the CoT, he agreed our people are losing faith in them. How long can we fight without visible leadership?

October 9 29461

Omni factions tried to force their way into Athen today, but we got word from a clan sympathizer hours ahead. General Keppler got all Platoons on the move and ordered us to hide in the rubble of Warthorn Valley east of Athen to surprise the enemy. The Plan worked quite well, the Omnis sent a scout ahead who didn't seem so sharp as he just took a look around without searching and went back. I thought maybe he had spotted one of us and didn't have to search, but when I saw the Omnis on the move on the road I knew the scout has been overconfident. We waited for the General's signal to attack, and we waited so long I thought the enemy was about to walk into our town, they were really close to the gate. The signal went off and we started to opened fire from our strong position, with the ruins and junk as cover. Half of the Omnis fell in seconds, the other half fled in panic, the battle lasted less than 10 minutes. We got some decent loot from some of the corpses; one of them even had some expensive wine bottle on him (can't figure how a soldier can carry a bottle instead of another round of ammo). Tonight we'll celebrate our little victory. I hope they give me the first shift on patrol so I can join the officers later tonight.

October 15 29461

My Lt. has given me a few books to read on tactics and military history; he has noticed my interest in such subjects during our conversations. He's told me I could be an officer someday, if I live long enough. I miss my son, I have not seen him in over 10 days, I hope he is fine and stays out of trouble.

October 16 29461

Got a COMM from a friend of mine, my son is in the hospital. He got into an argument with one of his friends and accidentally shot himself in the foot. After making sure he was fine I shared a laugh with my friend, how can you shoot yourself on the foot? This is something I will remind my son when he is older. I will call him soon to reprimand him for not having his rifle set to "safety". I'm running out of COMM time, I'm ask Lieutenant Bolieu if I can be allowed more time, if I tell him what happened to my son he may give me a few more minutes, after he laughs his head off.

October 22 29461

Captain Hereda is AWOL. He was last seen drunk with a girl in Tir; that fool is probably bragging about being at the "Battle of Stret" like he did last month during one of our patrols. Lieutenant Bolieu is happy he is gone and firmly believes the Capt. is a waste of a uniform, I couldn't agree more. Saw General Keppler today at lunch, even with his hectic schedule he makes time to talk to us grunts. If he ever forms a clan he's going to have no problem finding people to join him. Got to find me a new set of boots, mine are now worn to death; I'll have to see if I can trade one of my old NCUs for a new set.

November 1 29461

I feel guilty, Capt. Hereda's corpse was found today a few miles of the west road from Tir. He was shot in the head execution style. The female who was with him last was under a tree less than fifty yards from where the Captain was. Her clothes were ripped as if there was a struggle, doctors are examining the body but I can guess what they will find. Everyone is assuming the Omnis had something to do with it, always jumping the gun. Lieutenant Bolieu looked as guilty as I feel, we've had a few drinks today and discussed our previous assumption. He revealed to me the Capt. had more than a few husbands looking for his head, he would get involved with any female, available or not. I'm tired, had to pull double shift since our Platoon is still waiting for the replacements we were promised 2 months ago. I wonder how junior is doing, hopefully not shooting himself on the foot again, ha ha!

November 8 29461

Finally we got some replacements today, but some of these people have little or no military training. Lieutenant Bolieu had to fight one of them, a big Atrox who had the misguided idea that officers were chosen by size. Every one of them were cheering for the Atrox, while me and my fellows just stood by grinning, these guys had no idea our Lt. was quite experienced in the Martial Arts. The fight lasted less than a minute; I doubt these new recruits will ever underestimate him again. Surprisingly while the Atrox was being put on a stretcher, he said "Me sorry, sir" to our Lt., and got a smile in return. He should be back on his feet in a few days. I think they'll learn fast, after seen the biggest and strongest fall so fast they've learned to give respect to every one of the veterans in the Platoon, including myself. Tomorrow I get to talk to my son; I'm looking forward to it.

November 9 29461

Just finish talking to junior, he asked me to grant him permission to join the war. I told him he was not old enough to get involved, that he had no idea what he was getting into, it was a short conversation; he hung up on me. I'll let him calm down and call him in a few days. I sent his DNA record to the recruitment office in case he was foolish enough to try and falsify my DNA signature in his permission datapad. I'm more worried than ever for him, these damn wars have cost me my wife, now it could cost me a son. I better go and ask my Lt. for some work, I need to keep my mind busy.

November 13 29461

Well, it wasn't too bad a day. The atrox that my Lt. knocked out is back, and salutes him before anyone else, making the entire Platoon smile and grin. All we've been doing in the past few days is patrolling the streets of Tir, between us and the regular guards on duty the town looks like it's under Martial Law. I got word from one of my neighbors that my son tried to enlist and was thrown out (literally) of the local recruitment booth near our home. He wasn't too happy to be rejected, or "ejected" so to speak. I'll give him a call soon, to cheer him up.

November 15 29461

A Colonel Harish has arrived and joined our Platoon; I checked his records and he's got more medals and recognitions than I knew existed, why is he just a Colonel? With such a solid history he should hold a higher rank. I'm curious to know. I think a few drinks with Lt. Bolieu will get me some answers.

November 16 29461

I got a hangover from hell. I vomited on my bed while sleeping; I don't think I've ever drank like I did last night with the Lieutenant. Knowledge does have a price, a huge headache, and a ruined set of sheets. After cleaning myself and throwing out my sheets (and having to explain to the provisions officer why I needed new sheets and promising him a round of drinks) I remembered what the Lt. had shared with me the night before. Colonel Harish was one of the most respected officers apparently, but made the mistake of involving himself with the daughter of one of the big shots who has a seat in the Council of Truth a few years ago. The Lt. doesn't know which of the clan leaders was the father, but whomever he was made sure to put pressure to keep him from getting a promotion. With the record I saw yesterday, he could be a General by now. I wonder if he is still involved with her, did the Lt. told me? Damn I can't remember if he did. I'll ask him next time. Almost time for guard duty again, another night in Tir.