Thread: OOC: An idea for FC

OOC: An idea for FC

This whole threads OOC

Ok, I have had a lot of people whining for months, oh years actually about where the main story is. Yes...FC has it out there but its no longer in our face like it once was but is now hiden in slow moves with patchs (like the Sentinals and Loren Warr in Newlands), and also hiden in discussions with NPCs. Soooo, I had an idea, and if FC is interested in listening, or if anyone quiet likes it then please say here...I've mentioned it with many people in game as an idea, and so far haven't heard anyone think its bad....so here it is...

Have weekly, or even fortnightly scheduled server downtime. Say every Wednesday morning FC takes down the servers, they get the nice time to make adjustments as necessary which seem of late to be coming more often, and the players get a story. A story in that its nothing big, but say one week OT tanks are parked in Wartorn Valley, the next week Clan artillery is put in 20k, the following week theres wreckage of tanks in Wartorn Valley and the tanks have moved back into Aegean. You all get the idea here. All the moves are made via objects. Nothing needing FC to provide time and people to man events in these places. Just objects placed or moved in an area which shouldn't take the world designers more than an hour to do. The players get a small patch and everyone wins. We get a moving story. FC gets more time for maintenance and server tweaking.

Anyhow, what do you guys think?
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

((bump for this

I would love to actually see the world changing. Small changes but fairly often is the way to go, I agree.))
    Garret "Necc" Scheer press officer of Desert Winds (MSAS)

Karma, the world's true equalizer.

Free Rubi-Ka!

(( I whole heartedly agree... its the little changes and subtle things that happen that add alot of character to a game.))
    -

The storms show her pain... electric coated tears that reflect her sorrow... lava boils from the heat of her

rage... we are one and the same.... She is my Rubi-Ka and I am her nanomage ....

(( Yes this idea is great! Like they can change objects and NPC Discussion and this would help make AO the best MMORPG EVER! Cz I hope you read this and forward it to FC ))
    Characters on Atlantean
    Main Character: Ardoyt Former Rubi-Ka Citizen and Former Omni-Admin Employee
    Characters on Rimor
    Deleted
    Anarchy Online Related Stuff
    Former AO Stratics News and "The Community Says" Reporter
    The Death of Ardoyt

BUMPAGE

OOC
    Great idea Nyadach.. it would be nice if the game had a faster moving focus within the storyline. Give us all something to do other than attack/defend towers (yawn) and maybe those who have gotten bored with the same old thing will find it a way to hold their interest a bit longer!
    And who would agrue with a little extra tweaking here and there on the servers?.. except maybe system admins

I think it's a nice idea, but ultimately it would probably never happen because powerlevelers and campers do not like down time. Also, regularly scheduled down time would be quite an advantage to any organization that has towers that go to 25% within that time frame.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

C'mon Nevver,

we are talking a short downtime here only... and it doesn't need to be on a fixed schedule. I think this sacrifice should be possible to be made by every player if the game gets more dynamic in the process. Bump for a great idea!

Sid

Campers love downtime. They can insta kill the spawn as soon as servers come back up.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

True, it doesn't need to be on a fixed schedule, but you're guessing about it being a short down time. I'm no expert on web servers and certainly have no idea what sort of work goes into making a computer game. And what would you consider to be a "short" down time? One hour? Two hours? Three hours?

All I'm saying is that just because the rp crowd wouldn't mind some down time to move around some objects, a lot of other players would see it as a complete waste of time. Don't get me wrong - I like the idea - but I doubt it that the majority of players who could care less about the story line would go for it.
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

This is the RP Forum this is an RP request...

You can can the non-RPers on this one... I mean if there are objects out there like tanks or artilery you could make them political zones for PvP... temporary of course, but then you could have fights over the land as infantry/soliders whatever...

Maybe put a little Lt. or Capt. of Clan/Omni-Tek that drops a little cash nugget or something... not special loot but what little group of Powa-Gamerz wouldn't like a guranteed 2 mil piece of loot?

Just little things here for us RPers that could even bring some of us RPers into a little Gamerz world as well.
    Graduate of the Elite Academy

Viray's Yalm Cleaning Services

Viray's Taxi Co.

The moral highground was levelled the very day the first player landed in a backyard, saw a cute leet and said "I wonder what it drops?"

- Savoy

*nods and agrees*
    nice idear

Originally posted by Viray
    This is the RP Forum this is an RP request...

You can can the non-RPers on this one...
    No you can't can the non-RPers. It's something that effects all players, no matter what their style of play. As far as other players are concerned, you're talking about taking away play time from them. If this was something that was done during regular patches and a lot of these areas/objects/whatever were moved around at that time rather than in smaller, more frequent moves, I think it would be fine.
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

OOC

I tend to agree with Nevver...But I also see Tower PvP as a viable RP outlet.

Imagine you are waiting 20 hours for that base to drop to 25% only to get patched on top of your fight...

YES I want more content, but in a less intrusive manner than systemwide shut downs.
    Bliqz, Agent, Omni, Atlantean, "Iron Chef of Rubi-Ka"
    God is a bullet.

((The IC only RP forum is back. Bliqz is an Omni Extremist, and his posts IN THAT FORUM reflect that attitude. I can be reached by PM if you feel I have personaly offended you, and I will be happy to change/temper my post. Thank you, and have fun!))

OOC:
    I agree that a little bit of down time to shift things around a tad would make the game world much more dynamic and vibrant but I also have to disagree with "scheduled" downtimes as it could lead to people terminating their towers and tweaking the rebuilding time so that the 25% gas time will occur during the server downtime and other such exploits. I agree though that there should be more regular changes to the game world (placement of mobs, static items, etc)

/OOC