Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Omni Mining, up to something

An apartment interior

Dr. Neblett paced anxiously around the main room of his apartment, it had been over a week since he had last contacted Roguefire and so far no word. In the meantime that damn Mr. Blackswords Rm of Omni-Mining was contacting him about the file and he was running out of excuses, their last encounter had seen the doctor losing Blackswords in the Mantis lair below Southern Foul Hills, hopefully he would be there a long time. Putting his tea down he tried to contact Roguefire once more and still no response.

“This isn’t good, not good at all” he muttered.

With Omni-Mining tailing him he couldn’t head to Roguefires apartment but he could send an intertmediary. He knew the people to trust, they had helped him before with the embarrassing incident with the misappropriated funds, but with Enerbias off planet permanently he wasn’t totally sure they were still operating. Well only one way to find out, he picked up an old fashioned roller file from his desk and flipped through it to F.
    Omni-Pol intelligence report for Peregrinus Praecautus
    Known applicant of Third Faction
    Warning! Record is being accessed by an external source of unknown origin.
    Recovering file

be on your guard pilgrim
    File ends

Reets Retreat, Last Ditch

Major McCovery relaxed letting the noise and hubbub from the wedding party wash over him. He liked weddings, they made people consider their future and actions. An ideal he had always subscribed to. Man this beer was nice though, the cool suds going down fast. He needed this, after leading Desert Winds down under Southern Foul Hills they had found a mantis hive and the queen mantis. She hadn’t been pleased to see them, not at all. An afternoon of fierce gunfight below the surface of Rubi-Ka, he never would have thought his life would lead him here. He was startled from his thoughts by a man’s voice

“You’re a hard man to track down Major McCovery” he looked up from his beer to see a man in full Omni Battle Armour standing next to him.

Naxilite: aren’t we a little far from the comforts of Omni1?
    Blackswords: well you have a Disc that has Omni-mining Info I have been charged to retrieve
    Naxilite: a disc?
    Naxilite: i don’t know what you are talking about
    Captain Lewison: W..
    Captain Lewison: what?
    Naxilite: neither does Lewison here
    Blackswords: Yes the one that your Org had taken from our base
    Naxilite: oh..oh yes
    Naxilite smiles
    Blackswords: I have already gotten the Copy from Serragilo...I just need to get the orginal back unecrypted
    Naxilite: and what makes you think i would willingly return it?
    Blackswords: well perhaps I can buy you a Beer and we can go somewhere a little more outta the way and I can convince you
    Naxilite: A beer? that seems somewhat civilized for you
    Blackswords: Here the beer
    Naxilite looks at the beer
    Blackswords: well I know you haven't yet decoded the files and this is good...I have orders to Perma kill anyone who decodes it...
    Naxilite: are you threatening me?
    Blackswords: No just stating my orders..
    Naxilite: Perma kill, hmmm. The lovely Ms Swiftmind must be rather pissed off
    Blackswords: My orders also say I must get the file back unencrypted and then check to make sure it is still intact.
    Blackswords: to that end I have the decoding encryption...
    Naxilite: your rather forthcoming
    Blackswords: More to the Point shes scared for what will happen if the file is Public knowlegde
    Naxilite: oh really?
    Blackswords: your org in my opinion will suppress the info even more vementaly then us
    Naxilite: well well, this seems too high security for Ms Swiftminds holiday snaps. Must be somehting far more important you lost
    Blackswords: It is more what could be lost if the file is made Public
    Naxilite: really? care to share?
    Naxilite smiles
    Blackswords: My orders say I can use my initaive to get the files back..
    Naxilite: that would be typical for the corporation
    Naxilite: whose to say I will return it?
    Blackswords: so with my orders I need to check that you have not decrypted the files in your ncu then get the files and decrypt it using mine to check..Who said I have to disconnect your NCU from viewing the files when I deycrypt them
    Blackswords drinks his beer
    Naxilite smiles
    Naxilite: I didnt really expect any other answer
    Blackswords: I'm just following my orders..
    Blackswords: Besides I know what the files are and I know you will keep quiet about there contents...
    Naxilite: Ah yes, I have heard that a number of times before in the past
    Naxilite: really, why would I do that. if its embarresing to the mining effort then i am hardly going to keep quiet
    Blackswords: But I don't mindlessly follow my orders...I instead try to keep it to a minimum of Conflict
    Naxilite: well thats a start
    Naxilite: But I am hardly going to willingly hand the data over now am I
    Blackswords: It is more who will come to mine more and more if this is made public...Also the nanomages a little more content
    Naxilite: mine more? the nanomages?
    Blackswords: Naxilite just trust me that I'm trying to do the best for everyone okay..
    Blackswords Holds out a connection cable from his NCU belt
    Naxilite: I put my trust in the corporation before.....
    Blackswords: Not everyone is bent on hurting others to make a Buck...
    Naxilite: I was betrayed then, why should i believe the corporation now?
    Blackswords: I think that you should know what is going on..and I may work for Omni-Tek but I have to live with myself
    Naxilite nods slightly
    Naxilite: not many do that now a days
    Naxilite sighs
    Blackswords: So they're the ones who don't think and blindly do what they are told...Evil can only triumph if good pays no mind to it
    Blackswords still sits holding the connection out
    Naxilite thinks
    Naxilite: wise words and some many people need to hink on
    Blackswords: its not thinking that got Rubi-Ka in the mess its in
    Naxilite nods
    Naxilite: very true indeed
    Blackswords: I want to go back in time and shoot the dumbass admin who said don't bother with a rescue op on the Atrox Miners
    Blackswords: You NEVER leave your people Behind..
    Naxilite: well we can not change the past, but the future we work towards all the time
    Naxilite: looks up
    Blackswords drinks his beer and crushes the can in some anger
    Naxilite: that is very true
    Naxilite: your wasted on the corporation
    Naxilite: I may regret this, but something tells me i wont
    Blackswords: Hehe...I joined to get the people who killed my father because he didn't take sides..but I gave my word when I join Omni-Tek so I have to keep it
    Naxilite takes the connector and plugs it into his NCU
    Blackswords: Nothing says I can't try to make things work for all
    Naxilite: everyone is on a side, they just dont know it
    Blackswords taps a few keys and nods as his NCU notes Naxilites NCU is Clear
    Blackswords: One half down...may I finish the other half
    Naxilite hands over the disc
    Blackswords slides disc into his NCU Belt and Begins the Decode
    Blackswords NCU files show a lab where they are attempting to manufacture Raw Notum..
    Naxilite raises an eyebrow. Omni-Tek are doing this?
    Blackswords: they haven't succeded yet best they have gotten is 87% near perfect replication of Notum
    Blackswords: that is File 1
    Naxilite: why do that?
    Blackswords The next file shows a Time lapse of a notum Vein and the Raw notum seems to be regenerating itself.
    Blackswords: because if the second file became Public every Mega Corp will be here to mine and Omni-Tek wants to make sure it can keep Notum available to it
    Naxilite: yes I can understand that
    Blackswords: you can understand why I think you'd keep this Info quiet now
    Naxilite nods
    Blackswords Encrypts the Files again and puts the disc away
    Blackswords: Oh I have a side note for you personally Naxilite...
    Naxilite: Go on
    Blackswords: Col Feldran the man who ordered you to be abandoned has been reasigned to a very remote Omni-tek outpost on a comet
    Naxilite smiles slightly
    Blackswords: last I heard that outpost had only 6 droids assigned to it
    Naxilite: well, well poetic justice it seems
    Blackswords: and my Org friend Gute programed them to upgrade the com system but they haven't the parts..
    Naxilite: well you should have told me this first, i would have been more agreeable
    Blackswords: so the com don't work right now....tsk tsk...gute is a bit sloopy
    Blackswords: far better to get you to agree without a carrot
    Naxilite chuckles
    Blackswords: Besides I Didn't like what he did so I made arrangements
    Naxilite: well perhaps i owe you one
    Blackswords: far better such as he not be where they can cause problems
    Naxilite: indeed
    Naxilite: well well serves the paper pusher right
    Naxilite: I'll sleep better knowing that
    Blackswords holds out his hand for the cable..
    Blackswords: damn sloopy of me to forget that I was still hooked up now.
    Blackswords: You didn't see anything did you?
    Naxilite: me, saw nothing
    Naxilite smiles
    Naxilite returns the cable
    Blackswords: Ah good...Inative can be such a nasty thing to let loose
    Naxilite grins
    Blackswords: Well is there anything else I can do to perhaps make DW and OM not shoot at each other for a bit?
    Naxilite: stop mining
    Naxilite grins
    Blackswords: Hehe...Sorry can't do that but I'll make sure they keep it neat and tidy
    Naxilite: well thats a start i suppose
    Blackswords: well hope that someone gets the 100% in some lab somewhere and mayhap what you want will come true
    Naxilite: as long as people care for their home it will
    Blackswords: hey I live here and I'll be damned before I let them leave it a royal mess
    Naxilite: well perhaps there is some hope
    Omni-Pol intelligence report for Peregrinus Praecautus
    Known applicant of Third Faction
    Warning! Record is being accessed by an external source of unknown origin.
    Recovering file

be on your guard pilgrim
    File ends

The suns rise over Omni-HQ and yet another day begins as Lelora makes her way into the high security offices of the Intern-Ops divison of OTRK, Retinal scans, brainwave scans, DNA checks, and that is just the checks they are told about.
    A high security building indeed.
    Starting the days work she supresses a yawn and starts browsing the files that came in just before she left last night, something about possible subversive activity on behalf of a low-placed clerk in administration, reading over a few pages of the extensive surveillance data she sighs and shakes her head, the man is clearly as guilty as a puppydog next to a wet spot on the carpet.
    "Computer.. draw up resignation and transfer papers for carl G. Robins of Section C, Department 22 of Omni-Admin..."
    Eyes flickering to his personal information, seeing that there were no next of kin. not anymore atleast.
    "Then Issue a Grade Beta security order to Department T..Secure and Eliminate same subject, after questioning for acomplices."

Another sigh from her lips and a shake of her head, menial, routine stuff, far too long since she was actully out doing anything.
    The next case comes onto her screen and forces a blink of her eyes as she sees the name, and the order.
    Immideate Execution, Subject: Ransam Heigdeschler.
    The name familiar as it is one she knows, one without a person attached to it, a shadow, a non entety, constructed and used only for one particular person to contact her through.

Scanning the rest of it fast..
    Acts against OTRK..Aiding and Abetting..Information Tefth..Omni-Mining...files retrieved and returned..
    "****..."
    A few fast Keystrokes and she rises from the chair, turning to the door.
    For a moment before turning off, the screen shows her as the officer assigned to the perma kill of the individual.

Making her way out of the building and into her Yalmaha she speeds out of the city, tapping the controls with an agitated air, after a few more moments the vehicle is set on auto pilot as she punches a ident into the onboard communications terminal. Getting only the answering machine..
    "Ricky..Lora here.. I don't know what the hell was in that file you wanted me to keep for you, but it's gone..totally, gone, security clearance way above my head. Rick, you know I love you, but if you involve me in your little games like this one more time, I'll rip your damn head off!"
    Punching the coms off she takes back the vehicle control and turns towards the northern regions of the terraformed area.
    "ok Lora..gotta find someone who'se body you can claim belongs to Ransam..shouldn't be too hard..."

Day after Blackswords meeting with Naxilite

It was nearly noon, the suns shown brightly over Clon****. Cristin stood in her office, looking out the window. John Rm stood farther back, behind the desk, taking a peak of the view. A grand view it was he thought. It over looked southern Clon****. You could see everything from the old Clon**** mine, the Notum Exportation Base, the Omni Outposts far south and even some of Galway County. A view that can only be seen from Omni-Mine Headquarters in Clon****. “What news do you bring me John?” Cristin asked while looking out the window. John pulled out the file from a compartment in his belt. “It was hard to track him down, but I got it back.” John said as he placed it on Cristin’s desk.

She turned from her window and walked towards her desk. She picked up the file, flipped it over, “Hmmm…looks like the right serial number.” Cristin then inserted the file into a computer system on her desk. In an instant the word Decrypting appeared on a holographic screen with a clam female voice stating the word. “Lets just see what was seen and not seen.” Cristin stated. Second or two later a list appeared. “Well you were the only one who actually decoded the file John. Coping is another story though.”
    John looked down and then back up, “Something happened while I was getting the original from Naxilite.”
    Cristin look at John with a puzzled look then returned to a neutral face. “He saw the file contents?” she questioned.
    John nodded slowly, “Yes…yes he did…I was decoding the file to see if it was the right one. He saw the picture. I explained basically what it was. I got him to understand that this must remain quiet for the safety of many.”
    Cristin thought for a moment, “This is not good John; he will just go explain to his followers…explain more then they could have gotten out of attempted decoding.”
    “I think differently Director. I trust that…”
    “Trust? You trust him…not just a Borpac terrorist, but one of the leaders of it? He is one of the craziest out of them all. How could you even remotely think of trusting such a man?”
    “He has the motive to not speak. I explain the potential danger if he spoke.”
    “Motives may aid in decision making but does not make the decision, John. I will have Omni-InterOp keep close surveillance on him.”
    “That is not necessary Director, he won’t speak.”
    “You base this on what? Trust? Trust of a man who even lies to his own people…no John, I can not trust a man who has attacked us. I will keep surveillance on him, at all times.”
    John remained silent for a moment, “About the copies….Here is one but I there are two more.” He said as he handed the copy to Cristin.
    “Yes I know. They have been taken care of.”
    “They have? I haven’t started looking…”
    “You were only supposed to get the original and the first copy. I can not send you for everything. I had some friends of mine in the Corporation help out in getting them back. I have received both of them yesterday. My ninja droid over there had a fun time destroying them.”
    John thought for a moment, “How did they get returned?”
    “They were returned to me by Omni-InterOp, friends in the Corporation as I said.”
    “How though?”
    “Ah, they have their ways. Intell, agents, security drones…you know. The important thing is the copies have been returned and destroyed. Why do you ask so intently?”
    “I followed the trace program of the second copy to the apartment of Rougefire. I turned into a leet and headed into the air ducts. I discovered Rougefire dead. I don’t mean regular dead, she was permanently killed.”
    Cristin showed a surprised look, “Permanently killed? Are you sure about this John?”
    John looked at Cristin with mile long eyes and said "Director I've permanently killed six people...I know what it looks like...and please don't ask who I killed."
    “Six? Your citizenship background does not mention this.”
    John sighed, “Long ago Director...very long ago but I remember the smells and sights. Did you order her to be killed Director?”
    Cristin gave John a confused look then stated, “I? Order an assignation? What ever made you think of this John? I would never want to take the responsibility or face the guilt of such a drastic, barbaric action. It such an immoral, improper and unsanctioned act that I would never remotely think of doing. I of course did not give the order to have this Rougefire killed.”
    “Then someone did. I'll do something...She didn't need to die...I will find out why she was killed and by whom. I will check here computer and its logs; I will ask around…this murderer can not hide from me forever.”
    “John, John, calm down for a moment and think about this. There is no need to run around and search for a murderer. We have more important things to do. But, I can see you are committed to this, and it is worth looking into. If you want you go search her computer system and anything else you can find. But this will not get in the way of your primary job here. You aren’t going to run off and follow a shadow just because of past guilt. But a time of relief has come. You did well John, as always. I will contact Ollie Svancara and have C104N-B returned to Omni-Research immediately. I will also recall all other sensitive information back to its original location. Such an incident won’t happen again.”
    “I hope not Director. This took time away from being with Oleta.”
    Cristin smiled, “Yes it took time away from many. Time that could have been spared.”
    “Well if I am finished here Director, I will go.” John then started towards the door.
    “Very well John, good bye.” Cristin said as she watched John walk back towards the door.

Cristin pulled the file out of the computer system and spun around in her chair towards the window. She shook her head slowly, “All this stress for a small file…a report…just imagery analysis. But nevertheless it was a small part of a bigger piece, even the smallest is always important…yes important.” She spun around again and hit a few buttons on the holographic screen on her desk. Soon enough a man appeared.
    “Well it seems I have some more work for Omni-InterOp” Cristin stated to the man.
    “We are honored to help you, Director Moscardelli.”
    “Please, keep surveillance on the Desert Winds leader, nicknamed Naxilite…close surveillance.”
    “Ah yes him, we know a lot about Naxilite. But John got the original file back. Why do we still need to keep a close eye?”
    “Our neutral friend Naxilite has seen some of the file contents while John was checking it. We just need to keep surveillance on him in case he goes and tells another… we just need to watch him.”
    The man nodded, “I see, well watching is what we do best. I will have human and or robotic eye on him at all times. Anything else?”
    Cristin thought for a second, “No nothing else, thank you for your continued aid in this. I must thank you again for getting the other two copies back to me.”
    “Of course Director Moscardelli.”
    “Well then that is all for now, good bye.”
    “Good bye Director.”

Then Cristin selected another name from her contact list on the screen. Soon enough an older man appeared, gray short hair, dull blue eyes, pale white skin. He smiled when he saw Cristin.
    “Greetings Dr. Whineyard. I hope you are doing well today.”
    “Indeed I am doing well, Director. I have heard that C104N-B was returned to you today. The sentence brought relief to me. Of the many things I need to worry about, that did not need to be one of them.”
    “Yes I am pleased they have been returned. I still must apologize about them even being taken by Desert Winds.”
    “Oh, my dear, you don’t need to worry about it. It wasn’t your fault. Just a mistake, mistakes don’t always need explanation. Besides no one got to decoded them.”
    “Hmmm…well..”, Cristin said distantly then returned to a normal voice, “There was yet another mistake. It seems Naxilite saw the file decoded when John was checking it. But Naxilite did see it quickly, so I assume Naxilite doesn’t understand what he saw. But the picture is still of worry.”
    Dr. Whineyard nodded a little, “ehhh….That is nothing to worry about. That file was just a report of 104-B compared with 104-A. You can’t blame John for wondering eyes.”
    “I have not. Though I have sent some to watch over Naxilite in case he says something”
    “Wise, yes. Well Director, when will I be expecting C104N-B IA report to return to Omni-Research?”
    “By the evening it should be there.”
    “Very well, I will be waiting. I am sorry but I must go for now Director Moscardelli, my presence is requested in lab 14-B. I will speak to you later Director.” Dr. Whineyard’s portrait then disappeared.

Cristin then stood and looked out her window once again. A beautiful day she thought.

John "Blackswords" Rm left the offices Of Omni-Mining and was deep in thought as what to do next. The Files where back but he had sworn long ago that never would he Perma Kill unless they're was no other options...And Roguefire laying there dead troubled some long buried memories.

"I need better info on how they got in there and killed her" he thought aloud. "hmm. But how to get a report of the autopsy."

He stopped before the Grid term and just waited as his mind raced with thoughts. He suddenly looked up and smiled.

"Hmm.. Well he may shoot me or help me...Plus it may be fun just to see his face when as for his help in this." he spoke aloud again. "Computer open a Comm Channel to DrTiny."

"Channel open." Chimed the computers voice.

"Hey Doc can we meet I need to talk to you?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12