Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I`ve just had the most wonderful idea!

It's not the players fault that Funcom can't balance their game for both PVM and PVP. I want both to be balanced too, but no one on this board can do anything about it.

Why not have a vison on envisioned: "PVP/PVM shall we balance these this year?"

And neither am I saying that we can fix it. I just came up with a viable solution, quite offhand. Until they fix it, all we can do really is to play, and hope to make the experience a nice one for everyone.

Have a plesant stay on Rubi-Ka. Remember; Omni-Tech is your friend.

PVP is good in a RP sense

This games story is about a huge war between clanners and omni right???
    How can you have a war without PVP??
    there should be a constant pvp battle going on, on a battleground. People who dont want to pvp should stay away from the front lines
    people who want to battle npc's should stick to single player rpgs
    PVP shouldn't be some lvl 150 jerk picking on a lvl 5 weakling, unless the weakling is in enemy territory.
    Cities should be safe only for the people whom belong in it. In other-words if an omni is coming to tir it should be only if he is plannig a full scale attack of some sort. And even then he should be dead before he gets to the gate (come with an army).
    neut territory seems like a place for big battles and/or a good resting place for peace talks.
    Bar fights (common allignment fights) would be cool too, but should eventually get broken up by guards.

I use to play Meridian59 which was a pvper's heaven in that pvp was allowed everywhere except in cities.

Only problem was you had to leave the cities in order to level. And gradually the game became dominated by jerks who would attack newbies over and over again. Result? The newbies couldn't level. Not at all.

So the newbies left the game. And pretty soon even higher levels left because they got tired of being ganked as soon as they set foot outside the city.

And it wasn't just being killed over and over that was so tiresome. It was these kids bragging about how uber they were because they just killed someone twenty levels lower than they were. People left in droves out of sheer disgust.

Now I suppose you're going to say that people can take missions in the city and level. Yeah that sounds like a lot of fun. Spenting most of your time online stuck in a city because the moment you set foot outside you're going to be killed by someone twenty levels higher than you are. No thanks.

Having all zones but cities become pvp zones would be a disaster. It would drive away all but the pvp addicts. Which would mean Funcom would lose money. Which would mean AO would die.
    Anastasia "Aniee" Cervenak
    Martial Artist

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to. -------Mark Twain

Originally posted by Yazule

Look at UO, dont know if you ever played this, but they did what you are talking about almost exactly, and every pvper pretty much quit the game. It is not about JUST pvp, but right now there is not really ANY pvp on RK2.

*shrugs*
    What does it means ?
    For me it mean that PvPer profit from peaceful ppl.,
    they just "suck" thier energie like vampirs,
    it adds a lot enhancement to thier game
    to be able to jump on ppl. who hate PvP
    in form as it exists in UO, AO or other MMORPG.
    If you ask me who these PvPer are,
    who didnt want to play with each other
    after they was left alone -
    they are just sadists.
    ( and i will call so everyone, who calls me care bear )

I played a lot of FPS, mostly Battlezone ( about 1,5 years ).
    our clan was quite long time in Battlezone Federation
    ( my nick was {IG}Dante )
    But it's FPS( with Strat elements )

As it was said already so often,
    PvP in AO is just about "ownage", to show
    how good you are, and there are no fair fights
    (exept may be some in arena )
    The one who have more RL to spend,
    and who use dirtier tactics
    ( like attacking lvl 180 attacking lvl 80 ) - wins.
    Also the better PvP professions win
    Should weaker" priofessions ( if solo ) avoid PvP zones ?
    Dont think many ppl. would play Docs then,
    this profession will just die then.

There are a lot things to do besides PvP:

1. Explore the wonderful world of Rubi-Ka;
    i dont think there is any other game,
    that is looking so good and gives so many exploration
    opportunities.

2. Explore character development

3. Explore Trade Skills

4. Cooperation for hunting / team missions

How i visualized PvP when i buyed AO was like:
    here is Omni territory - there Clan territory.
    Time to time one side invade other side's land,
    so mass-attack , mass-defend, may be strike-back.
    May be also some diversions, even missions for diversion.
    But usually you stay in own territory and relativ safe there.
    (PvP limited only to few small zones would be fine as well for me.)

While i understand how PvP flag may disturb "good PvP roleplayer",
    since you see ppl. walking around invincible in the middle of battle area,
    i dont see how the server separation can harm you.
    Exept you especially enjoy to gank ppl. who are not interesing
    in PvP in AO,
    or you think that most RP ppl. go to non-PvP server.

P.S.
    I also played Mankind (MMORTS) about 1,5 years, after Battlezone;
    Mankind wars was also not about skills ( mostly ),
    more about RL time wasting and typefighting in forums,
    but i still enjoyed it a lot,
    because you get what you invest,
    and no matter how "unfair" a fight or a war is -
    no one can be really defeated.
    A big fleet can kill a small system even with few losses,
    but if you are small you can easier hide,
    what your "big" enemy can not so easy,
    so you get a fair chance to strike back.
    Rubi-Ka is a beautiful place,
    but the WORST place to PvP
    ( along with other MMORPG ),
    since you neither can await fair fights here,
    nor you can use the "hide and stab" tactics while
    not willing to waste too much RL time,
    or even building alliances
    ( something not just for hardcore gamers,
    but also for seasoned )

--------------
    Quantar MP 60
    Yottskry NT 13

If pvpers left UO because they didn't want to fight each other, they wanted to be free to attack EVERYONE, well that says something about what kind of people they are.

I cannot respect people who get their jollies by spoiling other people's fun. You have pvp in this game. Yet pvpers are whining because they have to do it in special zones which means that those people who don't want to pvp can avoid them. So basically the whining pvpers are whining because they don't get to spoil someone else's fun. Awwww poor dears.

If you want to pvp well go to the pvp zones and have at it. Don't whine because you're not allowed to slaughter people who aren't interested in pvp. This game is big enough for both kinds of players. And frankly it needs BOTH kinds of players.
    Anastasia "Aniee" Cervenak
    Martial Artist

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to. -------Mark Twain

The problem is,
    there is no other sci-fi game with up to date graphics ( first person ),
    that includes exploration, cooperation, tradeskills,
    but not force you to PvP .
    ( some wars in the background would be nice,
    but not the permanent skirmish i have to be involved into,
    while it have nothing to do with skill )
    I have heard here about EQ having mostly non-PvP servers,
    so i visited the EQ site
    What i can say.... mh.......
    Would be the graphics at least 1/2 as good as in AO,
    i probably would give it a chance,
    but what i have seen was sooooo disappointing
    ( and i have seen all aofficlal screenshots available ) ....

You dont have to have pvp determine your role playing, but lets face it, if you go where people can fight then it is a choice. If you dont do it for role playing reasons then your not role playing when you go there.

I go there to fight Omni scum, that in itself IS ROLE PLAYING.

My role = disgruntaled Atrox enforcer

What I do = Go take out my rage on the OT in hopes that they leave the planet.

Yes I am atrox, I dont understand mining, I dont understand profits, IM A DUMB ATROX DOING WHAT I DO BEST.

If some guy says "I owned you!" he is role playing. This is a futuristic game, thee's thou's and henceforth's are STUPID. This is not medival times, this is the time for techno-junkies and people that are almost all cyborgs (implants).

If the guy says "people in Allegan michigan are L33t" then he is NOT role playin cause he is making irl references.

oh by the way

Ph3ar m3 is role playing

L33t is role playing.

You think that they will talk like people today in the future? You think they will talk like midevil?

Cmon gimme a break, as long as they dont reference earth 2002 and the fact that this is a computer game THEY ARE ROLE PLAYING.

You go to an inner city and listen to the smack talking gangs... oh wait, that is a 0% zone (no joke) and NOBODY that dont want a part of that would go there unless they lived there!

That is what I am sayin, if you go to a 25% or 0% zone it is just like going to gangland in detroit, either you want to be a part of it, or your a damn idiot.

Or maybe if your an american and decide to work in the middle east (definitely a 25% zone). YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Anything you do in the game, as long as you dont reference that it is a game IS ROLEPLAYING.

Dnastyone is much different than Antag my trader, D is a nice guy, and Antag is a reall @ss (many have him on ignore). Is this role playing? hell ya! Is this pvp, you bet. Funny thing is most people think Antag is run by a l33t dud3 but actually he is run by a nice guy that lives in michigan, but antag HIMSELF is a l33t dud3. Makes me laugh, and anyone that puts me on ignore is lame cause all I am doing is role playing and I never harass anyone, I just talk the talk and walk the walk. That is who he "is".
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

[SARCASM]
    Sorry, this game is about war, I pay monthly fees to kill players, and I want to kill all, not just a few "volunteer"...
    [/SARCASM]

Hmm, I think it is a bad idea, pvp is fun and we all should participate
    NT phone HOME!!

Talking

Originally posted by Garzu

Hmm, I think it is a bad idea, pvp is fun and we all should participate
    LOL
    Yeah, drink beer is fun and we all should participate
    ( sorry, i think not everyone understood,
    the second part was sarcastic too.... or wasn't it and I'm wrong ? )

Anyway for all you beer drinkers:
    http://www.hooligans-thegame.com/
    ( too bad they took away the intro & old presentation )

Saint,

Some of us rp since 1985, see ?
    Many of us have played every single MMORPG since 1996, and know what peekay/anti means.
    You have your opinion about rp, just admit some have theirs.

A game like AO should be 25% everywhere outside towns.
    0% in remote areas, as it is now.

This game is about war.
    It doesn't mean a clanner can't have an omni friend, see ?
    But it does mean you are in war, and supposed to fight your opponents, not breandead monsters for fat loot and XPs.

Leveling is another word for "customer captivation". That was best idea from EQ, marketing wise, of course.
    So now, you want to level happily without anyone interfering with your gameplay ?
    That is just not possible.

Killing a player should grant as much XPs as killing a monster, and some credits too.
    Then you will have the best AI ever: human players.

You still have missions if you want to level alone, and it's already too much, IMHO.

Yes indeed. I do have my opinion about rp, and indeed I do admit some have their. Happy? You better be, because that`s as far as I`ll go.

So I am supposed to fight the enemy huh? Well, I guess I`ll keep playing the game "wrong" then, just in spite LOL

Originally posted by ULTRA1
    Let's stop dancing and cut to the chase.

What does Mort have to do with Role Playing?

Can't you role play in Newland, Tir or Omni-1?

Why do you need to be able to Role Play in Mort?

Why shouldnt you be able to role play in mort? Why cant you role play in ANY environment in the game?

Originally posted by Yazule
    You say we got pvp zones unwantedly.

I disagree, I think EVERY ZONE except in cities should be at LEAST 25%.

As for that agreement "If they want to PvP then they should play CS"

STFU

Did ANYONE say that ALL they wanted was pvp. Name a mmorpg without PVP please, I would like to know what they are. Then I could tell you "go play <insert mmorpg here>" Even EQ which is not pvp designed has pvp.

Originally posted by Turin

Why shouldnt you be able to role play in mort? Why cant you role play in ANY environment in the game?
    My point is people are using the word "role-play" as a substitute for POWERLEVEL and CAMP HUNTING, these things are the opposite of ROLE PLAYING.

When Mort was 75% gas people didn't think the BEST ROLE-PLAYING IN THE GAME went on out there, they thought the best leveling in the game did.

Nothing is stopping you from role-playing in mort now, in fact now you have many more reasons to do so. You can go there and plead that omni spare you, or you can bring a force and fight, in Tir, you can shout out that there has been an incursion in mort and all loyal clanners should come to the defense of the sentinels while you and your group continue with borg extermination plan alpha at camp concentration.

My point is CARE Bears use the word role play incorrectly frequently. They use the word to disguise their motives. No one has ever done much role playing in mort, unless you think "LEVEL 100 ENFORCER LFG" is role playing, or "hey, that docs not teamed get him!"

Let me spell it out. There is no IN CHARACTER reason to go hunt borgs. You cannot explain why you want to exterminate them like the nazi's attempted with the Jews. You cannot explain why you attack this otherwise peaceful group of mobs or why they majicakilly resurrects after you kill them. Same goes for omni camping ACES and MEDUSSA, no in character reason to exterminate a neutral village, or peaceful mobs that never leave their territory.

I will make an exception for this: You ROLE-PLAY a VILLIAN AND A THUG. You mug leets of their CRs that they save for chocolate surprises, you r41p and kill shades, tearing guts from their bodies when you are done like panda bear poachers then sell the parts to merchants, you ROLE-PLAY a mindless murderer, mugger, rapist and villain. Hunting sentient beings for money and their property is just that. The only thing you can justify camp hunting are non-sentient agro mobs that attack you first, then you are defending yourself.

I'm saying don't be a hypocrite and come here saying you want Mort to be 75% gas so you can ROLE-PLAY. That is not your real reason.
    Last edited by Nichola_Six; Feb 22nd, 2002 at 15:39:15.

Just for the record: I`m lvl 7. Been 6 for absolut AGES. I just turned 7 last week. So, think ME a power leveller? In addition I`m constantly broke. I aint in it for the money... I guess I would have been some higher lvl if I hadn`t made several characters. But I want one I am REALLY happy with. And this run-down, broke, unhappy MP I now play, is what I ended up with. Just gotta love him.

But I agree, don`t power level. It`s stupid, shows lack of imagination and a lot of other negative traits.

Btw, I am an UN-CARING Bear. Lot of anger and hate in this ol dude. GROOAAARR
    Last edited by Saint; Feb 22nd, 2002 at 16:04:10.

OK, well said and fair enough. You won't really have to worry too much about PVP if you don't want to for seventy levels or so, and then it will pretty much be your option if you want to put yourself at risk or not.

You no doubt are one of those real role players, not the "MAKE MORT 75% so we can ROLE PLAY (cough power-level) again crowd". I would also say I'm glad you have found a niche in this game you enjoy.

That being said, most story events cater to higher level players, and that means you do have to level some to be a part of these events and some of these events do involve PVP.

I would also say, that in order to be able to discuss PVP with any crediability, you will have to have participated in it quite a bit.

True enough I shall not discuss PvP spesifics.
    My original post was fuelled by a deep and burning paranoia that those we agree are not role players, but power levellers, was getting fed up of being lvl200 with nothing to do and so wanted to get a chance at killing innocent victims cought in this terrible war. Now, I would not appreciate that. But reading these forums, I kept seeing demands for more and more PvP areas. I felt it appropriate to take a stand, as they say But as you rightfully pointed out; also some of those that do not want more PvP are power levellers. So I will not persue the issue further. I was merely speaking on behalf of the more peaceful part of the population. You can have a REAL good time in Rubi-Ka without picking up the gun once in an entire session, and I frequently do.

Personally, I have no unfinished business with any member of the Clans. I did not even start the war. I just happen to live here. So obviously, I do not want the war at my doorstep so to speak.

What we DO need is a standing army keeping the aggressive part of the Clan at bay. Women and... well, not children... live here too. Do we really want to expose them to the horrors of war? Keep us all safe! Atrox and other soldiers; rally to the lines. Hold Omni areas safe from the Clan. I`m no soldier though, so I will be at Rompa drinking wine and hitting on girls while you are away

Re: Saint,

Originally posted by Miriandel
    Some of us rp since 1985, see ?
    Many of us have played every single MMORPG since 1996, and know what peekay/anti means.
    You have your opinion about rp, just admit some have theirs.

A game like AO should be 25% everywhere outside towns.
    0% in remote areas, as it is now.

This game is about war.
    It doesn't mean a clanner can't have an omni friend, see ?
    But it does mean you are in war, and supposed to fight your opponents, not breandead monsters for fat loot and XPs.

Leveling is another word for "customer captivation". That was best idea from EQ, marketing wise, of course.
    So now, you want to level happily without anyone interfering with your gameplay ?
    That is just not possible.

Killing a player should grant as much XPs as killing a monster, and some credits too.
    Then you will have the best AI ever: human players.

You still have missions if you want to level alone, and it's already too much, IMHO.
    Played UO for 3 years, I was the anti. In three years I pvp'd just about every day, was never once a Red on ANY CHARACTER EVER.

I deserve some props for that

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

Zero, was that quote saying "I think this too" or did you forget to flame me

ROFLOL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast