Thread: English has been Stagnant for 27 Millenia?

Film director extraordinairre RandaZ's Avatar

Wink English has been Stagnant for 27 Millenia?

Hi,

I'm here to talk to you about the problem we face today in the world of Rubi-Ka, and in the galaxy for that matter. That is, for over twenty seven millenia, the English language has remained somewhat stagnant. Sure, there have been flowering blooms of progress throughout the galaxy over this same period, but somehow, we always regress back towards the 21st century prose that many of us are all too familiar with in our daily lives. It is time for change. It is time for progress. Join us in our effort to better the ourselves in our attempt to strive towards the perfect form of communication... join us in our goal of universal brotherhood... join us in l33t speak.

For those of you who have not understood the power of l337, please listen closely. First, when speaking l337, joo show your prowness of your cOmM4Nd foR c0MmUN1c@t1ON. Everyone will turn their heads in 0rD3r to hear J00 speak. You've seen it on this forum... where people use the P0W3R of +hiS F0Rm to C0nV3Y their ideas. d0 J00 not LO0k uPOn in awe at their mastery of 'u', 'r', and 'stfu'. But ThE$E are in f4Ct M3reLy d1cipleS oph our TruE$+ f0RM.

ev3n heRe 0N Rubi-Ka, the roots are taking H0Ld. j00 5EE the most inT3lli93nt An1m4l5 attempt to m1M1c this speech in Ord3r to make us Re+HiNk whether Or noT t0 KIll Them, or T0 WOr5HIp them (refer to l337 dolls). Be UBer like those w0nD3rpHul, smart PEOPl3 J00 see ruNnIn9 4R0UNd 0N the streets.

C0ME, Jo1n u$. Together WE 5H@lL Tr@n5C3nd T0 @ N3w LeV3l... On3 that ROXxors!

Anonymous Transmission

P.S. The above post while comming from me is not affilated with me.. but is most likely from the evil-twin me that has had way too much coffee this morning.
    Slotine Zembower
    R.U.R. Member (RK1)

Tappert Solminski
    Tailor of Rome-Blue (RK1) [currently MIA]

And this is coming from the person who wrote this? freaky..

Originally posted by Tappert
    Damn you. Damn you for your insensitivity. Many men and women died during the day of Sept 11th. A lot of them, risked their lives, knowing full well that they may not see the end of the day.

Damn you for callously using the memories of their lives in such a trivial manner. The "war on terrorism" you equate. "Ripped straight from the headlines." This is not right!

Yes, we all acknowledge that other countries have had their share of terrorism. But have you said to yourself "this is different. This is too close. The time is not right"?

Some say this is only a game. Are they right? Do we not have the same responsibilities to reasonable.... tolerant... sensitive... in this game? Does the fact that we are anonymous make us say things in public which would we otherwise not have said if we were say, on the street corner. The lack of direct eye contact... the windows to the soul... would it hide our own insecurities? Would you use the events of that day as a soapbox, to reach the widest membership? Stepping, trampling, on them as you would a wooden box?

You are from Norway... you are from the States. You are on this Earth. Do you not share our solemn rememberance and respect for the lost souls during that day? It does not appear so, because you throw about equivalence between real and fiction in such abstract terms. Right... wrong... sensitive... insensitive... those are all personal opinions and don't matter here.

Shame on you.

No, this is not a message to Funcom. This is targeted at the rest of you.

[Jan 20 - I felt that I had to append this message since some people have been reading partially my post and firing off replies without fully comprehending. Obviously, they never got to the last line, or never bother to analyze what was actually being said along with the style used. If you feel like replying... please re-read the last line and clear your mind of any prejudices before re-reading the text. A lot of headache and frustration will be saved. - Tap]

T. Solminski

Film director extraordinairre RandaZ's Avatar

Talking

Yes, same person. Same style of using underlying messages - imagine that! Sadly though, some people seem to only read what's on the surface and think it's about one thing, when it's really about another. Perhaps I'm too obscure or perhaps critical thinking is asking too much.

And now for the blatant stick, just in-case I WAS too obscure: the l33t post was written after trying to decipher the 'u', 'r', 'stfu' for the upteenth time on this bulletin board. Maybe I'm old. Maybe I'm a stickler for typing out words... whatever the case, I just found it annoyingly funny that some people couldn't be bothered to spell out 'you' at all. And yes, I realize it's only typing and I'll accept it in chat messages.. but come on, when you're trying to make an argument, at least attempt to speak the same language.

As for why it's in the Story forum... well, considering how prevalent it is on these boards, I thought we'd make l33t speak official in-game and in the Funcom story. What say you?

Tap
    Slotine Zembower
    R.U.R. Member (RK1)

Tappert Solminski
    Tailor of Rome-Blue (RK1) [currently MIA]

I remember posting something like this way back when, a couple of board whipes back about what is the language we speak. Olde English is fine for other games, but here definatly not. Even normal language seems kinda wrong. l337 is about the most apt, but even that doent feel right somehow....never know, we might start something new if we get a few nice ideas?
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

Lightbulb What language to use.

l33t suux!

How about Esperanto?

j00 suxxor :P

Nawh I hate it, remindsm e of counter-strike and i HATE that game now.

You all be wrong. Ebonics be da way of da futya.