Thread: RP Central Closes its Doors

Film director extraordinairre RandaZ's Avatar

Unhappy RP Central Closes its Doors

Okay, I know some of you here have signed up to RP Central and don't check that often.. so I've taken the liberty to post this letter here in case you check one day and see something different. To everyone else, just ignore this thread.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Eulogy for the Beloved
    Tue, February 19, 29476 09:04 RST

Dear Friends,

Some say that it may have been too grandiose idea. Others might say that it wasn't ambitious enough. Regardless of which side of the fence you may sit on, the fact is that the Roleplaying Central, which has been home to myself and so many others since last year has been languishing alone.

Tormented by the reopening of the official funcom boards and taunted by the ever repeated promise of expanded official "character profiles", this site has attempted to find its own personality. However, the personality it seems to have chosen is that of a ghost town. Despite the fact that we regularly get new members, few people post on the boards, and even fewer still submit event news.

As such, it is apparent that this community no longer needs this site. We prefer not to think of it as merely a death of a site. It's just that like all things in life, we have to move on. On that note, we bid farewell to our home for the past several months. I do sincerely hope that you all keep in touch and remain true to roleplaying. Thank you all for spending the past few months with us.

In terms of administrative stuff, this site will remain to serve as an auxiliary bulletin board for the South Rubi-Ka Society. All users accounts that are not affiliated with SRS will be deleted in one or two weeks' time. This is to allow you to backup your data in the character registry and image folders.

When your account is deleted, so will your contact information. As I promised from the beginning, in no way will your information be used for reasons other than this site. All new account requests waiting in the membership queue will be deleted immediately and not processed.

Sincerely,
    Tappert Solminski
    & Slotine Zembower
    AO Roleplaying Central

Smile

Be a shame if you closed...

however am one of the guilty sign ups that hasn't posted

may be a good sign though - your audience are all so keen on RP they are too busy In game to take to the boards???

Unhappy *Sob*

this is horrible

nothing but really, really horrible

I am a fairly new player and has signed up but itīs about now I feel I CAN start posting on your bords and sending messages.

I have 2months behind me right now 2months of extreemly many hours ingame. (currently 9h a day minimum spread over a weak)[yes I donīt have too many classes at college right now]

But not beeing one of the ppl that played this game when it was new at the shelves is hard, one have to build oneself up to try and near the lvlīs of all you hardcore RPīs out there.
    Now I have hosted my own events I am second in command in a guild I have been to alot small and a few big events and seen you, Tappert, Savoy and others from the big and mighty South Rubi-Ka society at theese. I know now enough RPīs to start making use of the possibility to send mess on the site.

Yesterday I went to reetīs to meet up with Dominata (the honored maidens) for help some help, found myself at a South Rubi-ka Society meeting of some sort [you know, you where there] later I talked to leaders of The Corporate Teamplars about events. I got a few/tells of to some NPCīs in our timelined RPstory.
    Now is the time where I would make use of this greate site please do not make this a South Rubi-ka society privilege atleast make it possible for others to join the site without joining south society or you will kill alot of other RP guilds since this is something real special. I know now if a new character asks around for what RPguilds to join one hardly get alot other answers then Rubika South Society.

This game needs stars one ofcourse and maby the brightest all categories is you Tappert but donīt destroy one of your masterpices I understand It might hurt that it is not used and indeed why should it be left online when not used...
    It should be left online because of the possibility. The possibility that it will bring RPīs together, create a unity without the need to join any other organisation, for the possibility that people from all roleplayer guilds can connect and use this as the perfect meeting point it really is.

You have been a radical change to this game even I a newbie can see that. If you look back at the past this community would not be the same without you. Donīt loose hope we are still here willing and able donīt kill your creations, I beg of you.

I might have been affected by the chock of the moment but, Yes damn im serious this is SOO serious to me.

Doh! This cant get worse soon :/

Closing such a site would really ruin it for alot of true RPers, like my self.

Tell us what to do, and will do it

Arion, I am flattered you hold the South Rubi-Ka Society in such regard, but when it comes down to it, we are neither big nor mighty. I'd like to think pulled off one or two good events in the past, but it's always a struggle. And for each project that turned out okay, there were many which simply crashed and burned out of inexperience, lack of interest or lack of resources. So please don't cast us as some sort of "l33t rp guild" when in reality we are just barely coping, learning as we go along pretty much like anyone else.

As for Tappert's RP Central, it was created to replace the official AO message board, back in those dark days FunCom had shut them down, and he really deserves a lot of credit for that. But from the moment FunCom decided to reopen it's message boards, keeping a reasonably level of traffic at RP Central's was always going to be an uphill struggle. Simply put there is little that can be posted at RP Central that cannot be posted on the Funcom message board, with the difference that the official messge board reaches a lot more readers, including those new to AO.

Regards,

Savoy
    Last edited by Savoy; Feb 26th, 2002 at 14:39:15.

The RP Central has somehing found only there.
    It is not Simply a forum It could never be spooken of as simply a forum. It is an RP central with the Brilliant registrary found NOwhere else.

We are not talking of the forum part here we are talking of the all and mighty registry over RPīs all Roleplayers not only players, this can not exist on theese forums.

I am talking of the possibility to send messeges to players out of game, this can not exist on theese forums.

I am talking of the possibility to collect all RPīs on one site with a way to post your incharacter background, picture and all info avalible of that character, this can not exist on theese forums.

There is no way one could speek of the RP central as simply a forum created in lack of an official forum this may have been the reason Tapper created the RP Central but this site is so mutch more. So extreemly mutch more then just that. There is a potential in this site to bring more RolePlayers together, organise them a way for us all to get in contact.
    At the First Roleplayers Convetion there where discussions of this problem to meet other roleplayers and know who where roleplayers and who was not. This is the place to organise it all, it might be wise to use the forums here but there is need for a way to contact others via messeges to hold a memberpage filled with the InCharacter info a commuity webbpage.
    I roleplay in all of itīs forms and have been for the past 11years, in later years the community webbpages have grown in popularity amongst de huge collection of RPīs out there and for a massive onlineRPG like AO it can bring so extreemly mutch joy and enlighten the game itself.

I say KEEP THE RP CENTRAL ALIVE Itīs potential is extreem, do not kill something that can bring so mutch, that has a possibility to unite and focus all RPīs of AnarchyOnline.

As for the South Rubi-Ka Society I have only described the gloria that hangs over the name out there.

"You must be the change you wish to see."
    -- Mahatma Gandhi

I belive Tappert has been that change I now merly try to be mine.

Player of
    Areania
    Kelei