Thread: OOC: Prophet without honour, what does it have to do with anything?

OOC: Prophet without honour, what does it have to do with anything?

I read Prophet without honour a while ago and I've got a question.
    Does PWH serve as anything besides being a history lesson and an introduction to Shadowlands?

I was hoping to get to know a little more about some of the characters that are on Rubi-Ka today, but other than regarding Ross I'd say I ended up with more questions than answers.

Apparently the Omega are here, but I haven't heard anyone talk about 'em. Dusters?

I'd appreciate if someone could try to explain how it's all connected. Or just give your view on the matter.

LOOTER 73.3%
    THIEF 46.7%
    SCAMMER 40.0%
    KILLER 40.0%

Neutrals of Rubi-Ka ¤ Neutral locations - by RoboKa

I agree. Regardless of the merits of PWH as a story, I bought the book becasue I was hoping to learn more about comtemporary Rubi-Ka; the attitudes, fashions, way of life and all sort of things which I hoped would help me roleplay my character better. PWH however devotes very little time to present day Rubi-Ka. As far as I am concerend, by introducing so much ooc information most players could not possibly know about, PWH actually hinders roleplaying. A missed opportunity in my book.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

hmmmm I was planning on reading this for the RP aspect... I guess that would be a bad idea then...

Please, some other view points before I read it ....
    -

The storms show her pain... electric coated tears that reflect her sorrow... lava boils from the heat of her

rage... we are one and the same.... She is my Rubi-Ka and I am her nanomage ....

Well, it has the entire history of Omni-Tek in there. If/when David Marlin comes to the surface from his capsule, I'm assuming there'll be some more insight into the Redeemed.

If anything it helps to set the tone for life on Rubi'Ka in my mind as I play.

In fact, it's the only reason my characters won't go Omni considering the general demeanor of the Clan playerbase. Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Does PWH serve as anything besides being a history lesson and an introduction to Shadowlands?
    I figure even that's pretty darn good topping considering that it's a fantastic read all on it's own. I have a hard time forcing myself to expect much more than that.

And it was the animated series that introduced us to the characters that WE know on-world. Therefore, PWH didn't have to.
    --The connections that enable us to learn are infinitely more important than our state of knowing.

My pov

The book in itself, without playing AO...is good. Now lets say you read it, and play AO. You may understand the background of the AO 'universe', the history of humanity in that reality 30,000 in the future, how it all started, who apparently was behind the changes and when SL comes out you may understand further (read the reviews/interviews with the SL developers and you will understand even more). The book DOES give a lot of information about the past, which IS important, combine that with the AO timeline, and you have a solid history of humanity and Rubi-Ka.

And that, is good to know.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

I agree with Bio, Tarryk and Windguaerd on this one - Prophet is a wonderful novel. I think people are misunderstanding the intent behind it, though.

PWH is not an all-inclusive guide to Rubi-Ka as we know it. It was never meant to be. What it is, is the introductory chapter to a LONG story that spans 30,000 years of history, of which the last chapters are written, acted out and reported by the players of AO.

Much of what happens in PWH actually does have merit to the RP-world, but this depends on the type of character you RP. If you're political (whether politically active or just "in the know" about what's happening), it's a veritable gold mine of RP - it provides the basis of who and what you are.

Think about it this way: if you're a OTer, the most important RP point you can derive from PWH is WHY OT is so pent up on defeating the clans. Remember, OT's corporate culture is based on the guidings of the Omega - who were usurped from their God-like positions of power by what was essentially a clan movement back on earth. Now, "IC", no one would know this, BUT what you have to realize is that this lesson learned by the Omega would have transcended the policies of Omni-Tek. Even though your character might not exactly know why he/she hates the clanners, he/she would have been indoctrinated to do so as result of what happened on Earth.

Granted, meanings such as this need to be derived from more than a cursory reading of the novel - you need to dig down and see the metaphors in order to build the mindset of your toon. And after all, the "mindset" - why your character does what he/she does, how they react emotionally to stimulae, etc. - is the foundation of any character.
    Emiliy Age
    Unit Leader, Foreign Relations
    Speak your heart, don't bite your tongue...

Whisper's Edge | Gridmail | Engy's Workshop | Tir School of Engineering

Bliqz on Shadowlands: "Gonna make it hard to decide who I can and cant eat."

If you care anything at all about AO's story this book is an absolute nesccesary. The Omega, David Marlin are more than likely going to get back involved and you are going to want to know who they are when they arrive.

ooc

I played AO for 1 year and one week before reading the book. I wish I had read it sooner, because I think it serves a marvelous historylesson and explanation. As a novel on it's own, it's good. As a novel for an AO player, it's great. It explains about how things came to be...the backstory, what Rubi-Ka is, what the Omega are, and how Omni-Tek came to be what it is.

I think it's a necessity. Of course...a book number two would be very nice, but I don't think that will happen, nor do I see the need.

Player of Lille

Actually, I remember Ragnar mentioning on his weblog that he has notes for books two and three. He said that, at some time in the future, he might consider making them available

Emiliy crosses her fingers
    Emiliy Age

since ragnar is no longer working for FC I'm not sure exactly who has the rights to those notes and the publication and everything though.
    And without backing from FC, I doubt he will have a very easy time getting any sequels published.

OOC

While it was definitely weird reading a book about AO that featured an old Oxford drinking hole of mine (The Head of the River) I agree that it's an enjoyable book. It does flick around a bit too much and the main character (Marlin) is never really a sympathetic character as a result, but on the whole, I enjoyed it immensely.

It does do much to set the scene for AO.

+ It explains much of why despite a great passage of time, human culture is largely recognisable (because it went thru a Long Winter and then came out regaining knowledge held dormant by the Omega)
    + It explains where homo solitus came from
    + It casts an additional aura of mystery and significance around Rubi-Ka
    + It describes nanotechnology in beautiful detail and ponders the question of immortality made possible by such technology

The only flaw for me, as a diehard OT fancier, is that by seemingly linking OT so strongly with the Omega, it once again, casts OT too strongly in the "evil" role. IMHO, the Clans vs Omni thing works better when there are plenty of shades of grey.

*shrug*

~TR~
    Bronto Ranch Breaks
    A wholly owned subsidiary of Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)

Originally posted by Gestava
    since ragnar is no longer working for FC...
    Actually, Ragnar IS still with Funcom - he's their creative director. He's just no longer involved with AO.
    Emiliy Age

Indeed. He's still with Funcom. There was even a picture of him in a newsletter a while back, with a leet doll.

Here's a little something from his web:

• The Next Longest Journey - 2005 - PC, Consoles (Writer).
    • Untitled Online World - 200? - PC, Consoles (Writer, Game Director)
    So yes, he's still there. And since he calls himself very ambitious, one can always hope for a second book. But most of all...let's hope he doesn't get burnt out .

Originally posted by Gestava
    The only flaw for me, as a diehard OT fancier, is that by seemingly linking OT so strongly with the Omega, it once again, casts OT too strongly in the "evil" role. IMHO, the Clans vs Omni thing works better when there are plenty of shades of grey.
    Omni-Tek is not all evil, but Omni-Tek as a whole has an evil purpose. This is a good vs. evil fight, 99% of Omni-Tek will gladly join the clans to fight the Omega. If only we knew.

...picture of him in a newsletter a while back, with a leet doll.
    AAARRRGGGHHH!!!! I KNEW THEY HAVE BEEN HOLDING OUT ON US!!! THEY MADE LEET DOLLS!!!
    Vice President Cristin "Jypsie" Kaba
    Division 9 : Rational Science and Genotype Enforcement
    R.S.G.E Division 9

Webster is your friend.

You who consider yourselves actors and performers,
    if you play a compelling tune the people will dance.
    - Leetraider

There was a link to a website with a pattern for leet dolls on it, posted a while back. Do a search for it and you will be able to find it.

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

I stand corrected. And for once I'm actually glad I was wrong

Originally posted by Jypsie
    AAARRRGGGHHH!!!! I KNEW THEY HAVE BEEN HOLDING OUT ON US!!! THEY MADE LEET DOLLS!!!
    Nope, they didn't. It was a player who had made them and sent them to Funcom . The newsletter even had pictures of several dolls.

Wow, The new online world sounds cool but it'll be hard to drive me away from AO. Midgard? Wow.
    Characters on Atlantean
    Main Character: Ardoyt Former Rubi-Ka Citizen and Former Omni-Admin Employee
    Characters on Rimor
    Deleted
    Anarchy Online Related Stuff
    Former AO Stratics News and "The Community Says" Reporter
    The Death of Ardoyt