Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Fixers

Fixers

Fixer love!

Please use this thread to reply to and discuss Jim Salabim's article on Fixers, their current state, upcoming improvements and the direction they are heading in.
    Earn free game time and play with your friends[/b]

Anarchy Online Community Representative

Fixers

Wee! First post! I'm just hoping that this fixer love includes some of the fantastic black market ideas that people have come up with.

dont get me wrong...

this _sounds_ great.

I appreciate you finally giving us feedback on our profession's state;

now take a Burst of Speed stim and get going.
    Zack "Raik" Brumble - "Boom Hippie Bye Bye, the Raik is back!"

woohoo...
    a fixer thread! and a post by Cosmik! did someone just log in under your ID because they couldnt access this thread or are you actually back?

ok, fixer love...
    thanks for the article in response to Netties questions (ao-fixer.com for those who havent been). that what we have been screaming, singing, whining and pleading for for so long, that you recognise that we actually have problems and that they are being worked on.

the bit on nanos interests me, any love for us or making it easier for us in that department at all would be highly welcomes as too many fixers are dying an ip allocation death.

one thing that wasnt addressed in the article, that I would love to know and has been a talking point in orther artciles recently (sl we know it is a focus), is how are fixers going to be made desirable in teams, in what direction do funcom personally see fixers going in group missions.
    dont need specific info... but directions would be helpful

again, thanks for the focus on fixers.

Originally posted by Intra
    woohoo...
    a fixer thread! and a post by Cosmik! did someone just log in under your ID because they couldnt access this thread or are you actually back?

I'm back. I've been competing in the Olympics...winning gold for Australia and all that. GOLD, GOLD, GOLD for Australia!

Nah, seriously, I've had quite a fair share of side-tracks here. But I'm back, and bigger than ever. HUUUUUUGE.

As for the question on Fixers and group desirability, I'll try and get some information for you. But yes, the improvements sound great, don't they?

its great to have you back mate, and gratz on the gold

yeah the additions look good, any fixer love is a good thing in my opinion.

"The Fixer is still struggling, and we want to repair that."

this is one of my favorite bits, it recognises that we need fixing something which previously hadnt been stated.

cant wait for roots and snares to get fixed, and the info couriering (is that a word?) sounds interesting as so far in the game there is no need for that role.

anyway, good luck on getting us team direction info (are you still in australia or have they shipped you into norway so you can just go and tap on a shoulder now?)

again, great to see you back, (Cz has been running around like a man possesed while you were away) especially when your first task back includes fixer love

personally I'd like to know how the area burst is supposed to work...fixers aren't much for being able to handle aggro, and since it's a rare time that you actually encounter a beastie by itself in a wide open area...wouldn't this be something that would really add more pain?
    +Tekniker 142 Engineer
    +Xiaopingxu 121 Fixer
    +Stongrel 135 MA
    +Ukkonen 100 Agent
    +Pixelation 79 NT
    The Flying Frog Brigade

would be good for the 1st room in a team mission if the pull goes wrong. ae burst and hit till you have to zone and heal, back in ae burst, rinse repeat.

still havent been able to find it to test it yet though

as it was said before

... Can we please have Feedback on the "Minor Suppressor" Issue as well? Alot of other professions that are not "Expert in <insert weapon type here>" get Mastery buffs; Traders for instance and their notorious Shotgun buffs...

The Chem Streamer for instance has crazy requirements - having a +40 SMG / +30 Burst buff is not going to make us gods - its gonna allow us for more crits and better gear.

the only Class Specific Weapon buff Fixers get is Minor Supressor
    Its our QL1 Backyard-nano and gives +8 SMG and +7 Burst.
    Zack "Raik" Brumble - "Boom Hippie Bye Bye, the Raik is back!"

I'd like to say that I'm glad Funcom is thinking of reworking the kiting issue for Fixers. I wasn't around in AO before the nerfs to bursts/roots/snares but I do have a 'little' bit of experience with kiting and I'd like to explain in a bit more detail how it works.

Kiting a MOB is alot like flying a kite, hence the term. To fly a kite the object is to have the kite catch the wind and fly up into the air farther away from you until it stays there. To do this usually involves a bit of running away from the kite and judging the direction of the wind until this is accomplished. Kiting a MOB is accomplished in somewhat the same way. You try to slow the MOB while running away from it while stopping periodically to shoot at it. When it gets closer to you (starts dropping to the ground) you run away from it again increasing your distance. The end result is the kite stays up/monster dies.

The biggest problem for Fixers trying this now is that it is very hard to stop for a few seconds to effectively kite at all. Just like flying a kite, if you never stop running you get tired/fed up and go do something else.

Now along this vein I'd like to point out the main problem with the Smuggle line of nanos. The time limit on the items smuggled coupled with the amount of time it takes to summon what you need is out of balance. Taking a half an hour or more to get temporary equipment that only lasts two hours or less just gets you and the people your trying to help tired/fed up and they go do someting else. Not to mention having to pay for alot of other equipment noone wants in the meantime which is also going to disapear. If I have to smuggle 3 backpacks worth of armor and still can't get a full set of one type of armor (I don't mean a full set of Cyber armor etc., I mean trying to get a full set of one type i.e. str/agil). The current setup just gets everyone involved aggavated to the point of not bothering anymore. There is no way in the current system for me to come close to breaking even on the cost of summoning all that armor, let alone making a profit. And let's face it, that's what playing a Fixer is all about. See your own description. If I can't get those goods a person needs they will go somewhere else.
    Slyykie - 200+ Shade
    Slyyk - 200+ Fixer

Members of Alphastrike
    ------------------------------------------------
    Sarcasm rules! Go prance around in the forest you silly pixie.

It sure is nice, that fixers get something...but of course except the slow spell effectiness, there was really nothing in that post to discuss.

Personally I never have used the slow spells, as they are useless in my view, at least in teams. I haven't even used roots since around level 90, except while fleeing from borgs. Area roots would be mildly useful, but we dont have those.

I prefer having a trader/crat/nt in my team to calm mobs, that is really something i would call crowd control.

For pvp root/slow sure is nice though.
    RK1 Guild Apocalypse

Dillon "Duradas" Belote, Fixer
    Kiyoko "Selarana" Vallone, Meta Physicist
    Donald "Jorman" Dublin, Bureaucrat
    Burl "Gnorrg" Marinos, Enforcer
    Florence "Florania" Aronstein, Doctor
    ----
    RK3, Arnold "Gideon" Reineman, Enforcer

Originally posted by Cosmik

I'm back. I've been competing in the Olympics...winning gold for Australia and all that. GOLD, GOLD, GOLD for Australia!
    Hmmm now Cosmik's secret identity is revealed Stephen Bradbury the ice skater does this explain some of his wild fashion sense?

Nah, seriously, I've had quite a fair share of side-tracks here. But I'm back, and bigger than ever. HUUUUUUGE.

As for the question on Fixers and group desirability, I'll try and get some information for you. But yes, the improvements sound great, don't they?
    They do...Its a pity I havent the time to scamper on test and look at them myself....I hope the area burst doesnt mean I agro everything though, I prefer the more elegant option of pulling one or two, rooting what i cant handle and move out of the way...It could be great used carefully..it could be horrible used carelessly

[edit] /me takes 10 points of typo damage [/edit]
    Last edited by Jorji; Feb 19th, 2002 at 15:44:52.
    Queen of the Ninjas

Slyyk - MUHAHAHA! Old Fixers never die, they just take a different grid exit.

Cosmik - And don't worry, Jorji. We've got FC love for everyone. It's stockpiled and going out the door.

Jorji's art page (some mature content )

zomg she finally got myspace lawls

I think Fixers nano is a bit strange. QL should be the lvl you can access the nano, but I found some Fixer nano with my MP that have HIGHER req then my MP nanos of that QL. And if you consider that Fixer have blue nano skills while MP have a lot of green skills....

Oboy, it must suck being a fixer. Give those fixer a bit of love in nano department either through better nano skills or through lower nano req.

oh boy

ohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboy!
    Teknolord, Rubi-Ka 1 fixer.

Some random thoughts.

Fixers are supposed to get goods on the black market, right? They're also masters of the Grid, right? Would it make sense to put the entrance to the fixers black market in the grid? That would explain how they avoid Omni-Pol and stuff...

For that matter, I'd love to be able to grid to my apartment. I cna already grid from it (Grid Phreak), it'd be nice, kinda like installing a T1 line in my house.
    Good, bad... I'm the guy with the gun.

As for the question on Fixers and group desirability, I'll try and get some information for you.
    Ding. Ding. Ding. That is the million dollar question. I would also like to add that is has to be fun too. You could say the evacing our group when we get into trouble is our role, but realistically how often do you think that is going to happen. Maybe once a night if you are lucky, umm… I mean unlucky. All the other times we’d feel like an experience leech.

But yes, the improvements sound great, don't they?
    I can’t really say. I don’t have enough information. I do have a couple of concerns. You could rename the AOE Burst the Mez Breaker. I really don’t know how often we will actually be able to use our new toy if it is simply going to start a stampede towards our group

I am also getting the feeling that the damage for the AOE Burst will be lower than our normal burst. I hope this doesn’t happened because then there would be even less reason to use it.

As for the Fixer only stores, they are great. Only one has been found, but I am hopping there will be higher level versions.

Some feel that this [high cost of increasing the nano skills]makes it impossible to use Investment Points (IP) to raise other, defining skills, like the "Spying" skills, "Trade & Repair" or perhaps testing out SMG/Assault rifle combos. We will do something about this, but there are some dependencies still lacking. This change does not indicate that we will be turning "dark blue to light blue", but we will most likely introduce a more indirect change.
    Thank you.
    As her name suggests - she should be able to "fix" things for others. There might not be enough possibilities in the game right now to use the above abilities. We are keeping that in mind. Already patch 13.8 will introduce certain features that can make her fill that role better.
    Thank you.

Not much to discuss. You guys seem to know what we want to be able to do with our fixers. Have some spare IP to put into other places than the major sinks, get a little help with the RP aspect of our profession, and being able to team w/o feeling like leeches.

Thanks Nettie. I believe you can remove the torch now. But keep it close.

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

I'm very glad to see the devs are thinking about making our nanos
    easier to use. As it stands, I look at a QL of a nanoformula and
    just have to laugh, my fixer is usually going to be 10-20 lvls above
    the QL before she can use it. (Sure I could throw all my IP into
    nano-skills and get it, but I'd never survive a fight that way)
    I feel that way about run buffs, and I don't even put a single IP
    into MatCrea for the summon parlor tricks.

So if our skills are going to stay dark blue, what's going to enable
    us to use our nanos with less pain? Make the skill reqs lower?
    Here's a very fixerish way to fix it: allow us to hack our formulas
    to lower the skill requirements. Maybe a new fixer nano 'Hack
    Nano Formula'. When it's running, the skill requirements for all
    nanos go down.

Better yet - allow us to cast our Hack Nano Formula on others.
    Then fixers get a reverse of the MP masteries, and all of a sudden
    we have a purpose in life other than just run buffs!

Salanth

Originally posted by Intra

one thing that wasnt addressed in the article, that I would love to know and has been a talking point in orther artciles recently (sl we know it is a focus), is how are fixers going to be made desirable in teams, in what direction do funcom personally see fixers going in group missions.
    dont need specific info... but directions would be helpful

Well, basically, whether any of the Fixer improvements coming up do improve group desirability is probably best left to you, the players, to decide. Personally, I would think Fixers getting new and better SMGs, as well as the Area Burst would already help Fixer group desirability to an extent (damage is always good in a group, no?). The as-yet unpublic improvements coming up should also help group desirability - but that ultimately comes down to what the group is looking for. Group wants can change from day to day.

So, from my standpoint, these improvements will help group desirability. Fixers are always welcome in my group. But let's also hear from you about these changes once you get a hand on them to determine their desirability. I'd be really interested in hearing that - the designers too.

[B]
    Well, basically, whether any of the Fixer improvements coming up do improve group desirability is probably best left to you, the players, to decide. Personally, I would think Fixers getting new and better SMGs, as well as the Area Burst would already help Fixer group desirability to an extent (damage is always good in a group, no?).
    Absolutely, the chemical mausser was a nice thing, but unfortunately only at lower QL (up to around ql130) as the damage does not raise at higher levels comparable to shotguns.

I still do not know what area burst means, but it sounds interesting
    Would be nice if you could explain what it does.

The as-yet unpublic improvements coming up should also help group desirability - but that ultimately comes down to what the group is looking for. Group wants can change from day to day.
    Well, gridding out the team is one nice thing we already have that is desirable in groups, but many other professions got that too. What really is wanted in groups is the ability to travel to a destination as well as leave it fast, engineers can already warp teammates to a destination, but they still have to go there by themselves. I really hope the "super duper" thing is something in the line of traveling "to" somewhere and taking teammates there as well.

But let's also hear from you about these changes once you get a hand on them to determine their desirability. I'd be really interested in hearing that - the designers too.
    So waste no time, and tell us what those changes are, then the dev team hears from us faster
    RK1 Guild Apocalypse

Dillon "Duradas" Belote, Fixer
    Kiyoko "Selarana" Vallone, Meta Physicist
    Donald "Jorman" Dublin, Bureaucrat
    Burl "Gnorrg" Marinos, Enforcer
    Florence "Florania" Aronstein, Doctor
    ----
    RK3, Arnold "Gideon" Reineman, Enforcer

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast