Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Discuss: 13.8 Token changes

Originally posted by Dudicas
    Besides, you don't "beat" a roleplaying game.

Just because you are the best you can be does not mean you have nothing else to do. I personally look forward to the day when I don't have to level anymore and can just enjoy the life on Rubi-ka.
    SO true. The best times in this game are the RP events. More of that to come please
    ~Have you hugged your leet today?~

F̶u̶n̶c̶o̶m̶ ̶l̶i̶s̶t̶e̶n̶s̶ ̶:̶)̶
    Thanks for "fixing" DM, Funcom, yeah, no really... thank you so, so much. I was missing having my toolset put back to 2007.

Talking yup.

you will not know me as i have not posted here before.

i have been here at launch, left now returned.

i come from asheron' s call, in other words i have seen twinking and powerleveling before.

my take on it is that funcom is doing the right thing in making something that is seen by the average player as boring and/or mindless easier.

there will always be people who can do the same thing over and over and over better then you.

explain to me again what the difference (monotony wise) between powerleveling and token farming is, since i do not see any.

my stance has been in the past, is now and will always be in the future to let the kewld00ds burn themselves out and move on to the next game.

in the long run mmorpgs and roleplaying games in general are SOCIAL events, as in meeting with some friends for a good chat and laugh.

creativity, immersement and diversity make a good evening.

if you start setting the standards on the d00ds you will drive away your base of casual gamers.

Originally posted by eleetist
    I can recall Truwind being well known for buying like 940 tokens... or so the accusations on here said...

So early on a lot of players bought 1000 token boards.. I also heard that there was once a bug that allowed you to make a reusable token that worked similarly to the reusable nano crystals... so that being said... 1000 tokens doesn't mean glory

Also... a level 200 mission shouldn't carry the same weight in accomplishments as a level 1 mission.
    I'm not so sure that a whole lot of people bought the 1000 token board... Back in those days tokens were selling for 50k-200k. So that would take 50,000,000 credits at least to have bought your way all the way to the 1k token board. 50mil is a lot for most, even today. What I DO recall happening was that a few of the bigger guilds collected tokens en mass and gave them all to thier guild leaders, which apparently allowed a few people to get 1k token boards. It seems that a lot of people make the assumption based on the fact that tokens were at one time tradeable because of a bug, that means that lots and lots of people bought 1000 of them, it just doesn't seem possible to me. I know agents and advents that had that kind of cash back then when conceal worked too well, but I can't imagine how others could have gotten that much easily before blitzing became king.

Just to let you know that I was teaming today with a guildmate and something interesting popped up.

Basically what happened was that I was supposed to get 30k for the mission and I only got like 18k. Tested this a couple of times. Took some screens. Then I had the bright idea to ask my guildmate to watch her money when I completed the next mission.

Low and behold she got about "half" of the credits and I got the rest.

This didn't happen earlier this week. So did this change when the servers went down last night?

Originally posted by Soozan

This didn't happen earlier this week. So did this change when the servers went down last night?
    no that has been happening a couple weeks now. I was unsure the first time i noticed so i had to send a petition to find out cause the other guy wasn't paying enough attention to notice if he got the cash.
    Member of the "I tried SWG and I am still kicking myself for it" club

Originally posted by griemdaall
    I'm not so sure that a whole lot of people bought the 1000 token board... Back in those days tokens were selling for 50k-200k. So that would take 50,000,000 credits at least to have bought your way all the way to the 1k token board. 50mil is a lot for most, even today.
    The same individuals and guilds that were willing to exploit by buying tokens had been at the lead on the all the duping exploits and had stowed away hundreds of millions of credits. Demand far outstripped supply.

Scorus

Also the going price for tokens at that time was 30k. There was some inflation as they neared fixing nodrop items but not really much.

You'd see it on clan chat everyday back then, buying your mission tokens 30k each!

Sorry, didn't read all the threads, but I have to speak up.

Bad idea, I hate it!

1) Token farming is a non-issue to me. Don't change the game for this trivial scam. It will only penalize those of us who have worked to earn tokens within the normal context of gameplay.

2) Cosmik, devalueing is exactly what it does. You basically admit this in your statement. All you say is try not to feel bad about it.

3) Stop nerfing the solo player. This is all he has. Solo players get no money, ql125+ armour, nanos, weapons or implants from guild members. We cannot team to take tough missions to get more elite loot. I am struggling to do 50% missions. Why rob me of my only edge (and a psychological one at that).

4) Create more title levels instead of giving more tokens. One title level for each 100 tokens is reasonable. I would really like this. It seems insane to get the 400 token board, then have to wait 600 tokens to the next level. This is a no-brainer for a fix.

5) Anybody who has done missions enough knows how to select missions that are likely to be short ones. A specific example is this: If you take a mission in Aegean- select Delirium and you will get a short mission, select Rising Sun "in a tent that leads underground" and you will get a long one. I select short missions for tokens and long missions to level up. You don't have to take 2 hour missions everytime.

Final: Changing the system will only harm those who have earned them and the poor solo players, who are the weak link anyway! You totally devalue the currency, irrefutably.

I love the idea! It makes the most sense in the world RP-wise, no matter if people like it or not... After all, look at it this way: Getting a blue ribbon at the county fair and being handed the keys to the city by the mayor are two *very* different things!!! Tokens are awarded for "heroic effort." Shouldn't an act that's a lot more heroic (i.e. completing a level 100 mission) be rewarded more than an act that's not so herioc (like doing a level 5 mission) when any n00b off the boat can sleepwalk through a level 5 mission?

Yeehaw!

Good Idea

I am all for it.

My lvl 150 guy has 80 tokens, I got about half of those in groups, that let me pick the missions, post lvl 100. I don't think I was a power lvler. The problem is after lvl 70ish my agent couldn't solo anymore. I just couldnt tankt he hits, and it took a LONG time to complete 1.

I have 2 twinks, 1 has 120 tokens, which i got by soloing from lvl 1 to where he is now.

2nd has almost 250 and this guy i had to terminate tons. I agree, going for 1k at lvl 6 is damn boring, hard work. It makes me crazy just thinking about it. I did it for 120 tokens cause i knew it was way easier. Took my first twink 70lvls to get 120 tokens legit and like a month. In the end missions were large. Those grey caves are borked and like 10% of the time give u tokens.

1k should be attainable. So should lvl 200. I want to have a few chars I can play (and perhaps RP) once some storyline starts to occur. Saying the game is 4 years etc is dumb. Most people won't play that long and we want the most for our time/money while we are in the game.

My suggestion would be ranks in either Omni/Clans based on how long you are loyal etc. So if you really want to shoot for something sweet in 4 yrs it could be CEO or head clansman etc where you get "special" abilities in the game. Like controling gas and NPC troop movement etc.

Good job FC...hurry up and bring that patch on live!

Hobbes, I think the idea is that you get more tokens based on your level, so maybe you get 2 a mission at level 100. It's not based on the level of the mission but the level of the player.

So this will make token farming a waste of time, level 6 terminators won't benefit as much, but level 100+ players that get tokens very slowly will get them at a better pace, which will still be slower, I bet than a level 6.

The point is to make board progression more even - now, it takes about an hour to get the first board, and a month to get the fifth. Since it scales based on level, doing an assload of missions at level 6 (or even something like 50) will do very little to get you the next ql board, whereas normal progression through missions will get you the next one on a continual schedule.

That said, the idea is sound... but it still REALLY pisses me off that I've worked my ass off for my pitiful 170 tokens, and the last month of work seems somewhat pointless now that I can do the same thing in a week... FC *really* needs to compensate those of us who honestly put in the time and effort, only to be shafted in the end by a sudden rules change that DOES devalue what we have done (in the same manner that saying that every dollar you make as you age is worth more and more... you punish the people who are already older and have a smalelr savings, whereas their younger compatriots will be comparatively RICH by that age)... I know that my grandpa would come kick your asses.
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

Originally posted by Bronto_Cowboy
    I love the idea! It makes the most sense in the world RP-wise, no matter if people like it or not...

Yeehaw!
    Funcom slogan #1: No matter if you like it or not. Who cares what the players think? Thanks Brontoburger, real good point, partner. Look for a Funcom job application form in the mail real soon.

This thread boils down to two simple points:

Those who have earned them say, don't devalue my tokens

Those who have something to gain, nothing to lose, say "great".

Solution: Increase the number of title levels to make each increment seem like an obtainable goal. I really don't care about token farming, but maybe you could cap the number of tokens per level (you have exceeded the limit) to appease the significant number of people who do have a problem with it.

Problem solved, next issue...

Originally posted by griemdaall

I'm not so sure that a whole lot of people bought the 1000 token board... Back in those days tokens were selling for 50k-200k. So that would take 50,000,000 credits at least to have bought your way all the way to the 1k token board. 50mil is a lot for most, even today. What I DO recall happening was that a few of the bigger guilds collected tokens en mass and gave them all to thier guild leaders, which apparently allowed a few people to get 1k token boards. It seems that a lot of people make the assumption based on the fact that tokens were at one time tradeable because of a bug, that means that lots and lots of people bought 1000 of them, it just doesn't seem possible to me. I know agents and advents that had that kind of cash back then when conceal worked too well, but I can't imagine how others could have gotten that much easily before blitzing became king.
    Everyone lvl 100+ was running missions back then, I could run 10-15 mission/hour and by selling the reward to the vendor I made 2-4 mill every day, and I didn't get any money for completeing the mission so if I picked money mission instead of xp mission I could easy make alot more money, so 50 mill wasn't really hard to get if you wanted.

I think the change in tokens is great, I haev about 180 tokens with both Azz and Anti and it would never be possible for me to even get close to the 1k board with any of them as it is now.
    Azzazzimon

Clan Apocalypse - The guild for models

Account closed.

Megabio
    Well, the fact that people have 1k token boards legitly or illegitly is not too much of a problem. The problem was an exploit that I heard of (I dunno how they did it; may have just been a rumour) that allowed lowbies (>50 I believe it was) to use the 1000 token boards.
    ~Chris

Originally posted by Megabio
    Well, the fact that people have 1k token boards legitly or illegitly is not too much of a problem. The problem was an exploit that I heard of (I dunno how they did it; may have just been a rumour) that allowed lowbies (>50 I believe it was) to use the 1000 token boards.
    ~Chris
    Yepp, think it worked before, it never really checked what lvl you were, doesn't work anymore tho
    Azzazzimon

Account closed.

Originally posted by Megabio
    ~Chris
    It was one of funcoms famous "features" that allowed the clan 1k board to be worn at levle 15 or 50...

Theyhave since fixed it but those people are probably gone or over levle 100 now so it doesn't really matter.

Originally posted by hobbes

Funcom slogan #1: No matter if you like it or not. Who cares what the players think? Thanks Brontoburger, real good point, partner. Look for a Funcom job application form in the mail real soon.

This thread boils down to two simple points:

Those who have earned them say, don't devalue my tokens

Those who have something to gain, nothing to lose, say "great".

Solution: Increase the number of title levels to make each increment seem like an obtainable goal. I really don't care about token farming, but maybe you could cap the number of tokens per level (you have exceeded the limit) to appease the significant number of people who do have a problem with it.

Problem solved, next issue...
    I like the idea of more steps in token boards as well, but I like the idea of more tokens granted at higher levels, based on the player's level.

I have 1 character, 50ish ma 130 odd tokens, 64 NT 200 tokens, 125 soldier 160 tokens, I have earned these tokens, and I have both something to gain and I guess something to lose to new re-rolls, but instead of being bitter about what others have or will get, I will be happy about what I can now earn.

I think it's a great change, if you have a 120ish character, you'll find that any mission you generate is an all night endevor. It would be nice to get 2-4 tokens for that, considering I can get about 2 an hour at level 60 with my NT.

I don't care if people farm tokens or not, it's their time and their life let them do what entertains them.

I don't care if people farm tokens or not, it's their time and their life let them do what entertains them.
    I 100% agree on this, it's a game, it can be played in many diffrent ways, I rather lvl and have fun in teams than terminate at lvl 6 for afew months, but if someone else like that playstyle, why not let them?
    Azzazzimon

Account closed.

I welcome the idea, though I have a few reservations. As a concept, it's ok, but it rings true as a beta version of an in-game modification. (Please bear with the beta/rc analogy)

Beta:
    Make the token value ladder according to level.

Release Candidate:
    Put a max amount of tokens per title level.
    Tie the laddering effect with the amount of XP gained in a mission (e.g a 2 hour mission where x amount of xp is made killing npc's gives a 5 point token, whileas a short mission run for an item or whatnot gives a 1 point token).

This is a rehash of what other bright people have contributed to the discussion with, and I will not pass it out as my own ideas (although I had thoughts in the general direction of this).

What this would do is effectively choke token farming at a low-level to, say, 60 tokens for title level 2, and upwards.

I do missions solo mostly, because getting a team together and having them all do a mission with you without waiting 30 minutes for one of them, having one go LD in the middle of it, etc etc is just pointless. And of course there is the question of who gets the token

215/15 | Lagerlad Atrox Adventurer | eqp | Mostly indestructible
    214/13 | Xpie Atrox Meta-physicist | eqp | Supernova!
    Member of Ragnarok

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast