Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Discuss: 13.8 PvP changes (updated Tuesday 19th)

Post Discuss: 13.8 PvP changes

• The PVP grace period now works as was originally intended. This means no more grid camping!
    • Neutrals will now have PvP titles.
    • The reward for PvP has been changed. You will now be able to loot all items your opponent has gained since last saving, and you will receive a trophy if the person loses more then 10% of the experience needed to gain a level.

Added Tuesday 19th:
    • PvP Title will now update without the need for zoning, so you will see your new PvP title instantly.

Re: Discuss: 13.8 PvP changes

Originally posted by Cz
    • Neutrals will now have PvP titles.
    Freshman = Fence Sitter
    Rookie = Fence Stander
    Novice = Walker of the Fence
    Apprentice = One Footed Fence Balance Artist

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Originally posted by Cz
    • The reward for PvP has been changed. You will now be able to loot all items your opponent has gained since last saving, and you will receive a trophy if the person loses more then 10% of the experience needed to gain a level.
    As I've said in other threads, you are encouraging griefing and a risk without reward strategy with this change. Camping of mission sites has been going on with very little incentive and now it will be epidemic. Players that have put in two hours hard work will get nothing while players that have sat done nothing but sit outside rooting and nuking will get the treasure.

Scorus

Originally posted by Cz
    I would love a post by funcom letting us know the thinking behind this change and what they hope it will bring to the game, which direction they are hoping this change will take players and who it will benifit most.

at the moment it does not effect me personally but I hear alot of people arguing that it is rewarding gankers and not alot of people saying otherwise (other than the gankers themselves)

so, I would love to hear from funcom on this one letting us know the vision behind the change

I think it's a great idea. Anything that enhances the sense of risk while playing the game makes it more thrilling and less dull.

I agree, this is VERY encouraging for grief players. Please dont encourage grief play.
    Cyrus "Othar" Peak

"The Honored Guard, Serving with Pride, Prejudice and Patience." - Justsabi

Alamut

"My body is my Temple."

Bad bad bad idea. As stated above it promotes grief play. Players waiting at zones (mission zones) to gank players as they load or cant run away.

Giving some kind of reward if a PVP'r kills another >> _TITLED_ << pvp'r would promote what you want in my opinion.

Lightbulb

As I have said in other threads on this topic, the idea is fine IF you plan on changing the reward system for missions and hunting in PvP areas. Especially for level 75+ when any level 160 character can come along and smack you down with ease.

So, in short, before you encourage MORE mission exit camping and 25% hunting zone sweeps by players 100 levels over them, add something that rewards "the hunted" for taking the new level of risk. JMHO.

Has anyone ever been mission camped? If so speak up. I for one have never gone into a mission in 25% gas only to come out 1-3 hours later and the same guy was still waiting there for me.

I like risk, I also don't think every rule in this game should be decided by a court of popular opinion. Dying should entail some risk and losing unsaved gear can be a part of that risk. I bet it will happen far less often than you think. You are not compelled to take missions in 25% gas so if you choose to you should accept some risk of combat.

Also, I wouldn't mind that when you died from a mob, unsaved items were not returned to the res terminal. Since they are not insured there is no reason for them to be there. Though maybe they could stay in a corpse pile that you could loot only.

I don't see how this will encourage any more people to pvp or grief than already do. I imagine it will be the same people doing the same stuff.

I don't think it's bad to give people a reason or incentive to pvp, after all, the reason why most pvper are called griefers are because they kill for no reason or reward, just to kill. Giving a reward will encourage others to partake in the conflict, that otherwise would do nothing but level. Another thing that needs to happen soon is objective based pvp.
    Last edited by Nichola_Six; Feb 18th, 2002 at 17:33:01.

Originally posted by ULTRA1
    I think it's a great idea. Anything that enhances the sense of risk while playing the game makes it more thrilling and less dull.
    NO! The player base does not want challenge or risk or thrill! What are you thinking? They want happy-fluffy land in the middle of a war, and mega-uber-xp for killing weak mobs...

You know what? I'm looking forward to getting ganked. Yes! that's right all you whiners! I am gleefully anticipating it! Maybe I'll actually start being afraid of the 25% zones... maybe I'll get that same feeling I used to have in the beginning of the game... fear and tension...challenge...even the occasional unplanned/unexpected death! woot!

-D
    ===============
    First Order S.S.S.C.
    ===============

Has anyone ever been mission camped? If so speak up. I for one have never gone into a mission in 25% gas only to come out 1-3 hours later and the same guy was still waiting there for me.
    I killed an MA once who looked to be mission camping.

Was out in Stret West exploring with my NT (in reet form, back when you could cast in reet form). This was my first time out there.

Flew by this MA outside a mission area, when all the sudden I hit a 25% zone... he brawled me and I kept flying, and got away... then I thought... wait a minute... this is just some MA trying to kill me! ME, the "scourge of MAs"! So, I came back and rooted him and took him out. I suspect he was camping the mission area he was standing next to, but I could be wrong.

-D

We used to also hunt clanners in broken shores, not "camping a mission area", but I'm sure we killed a few on their way to/from missions.
    ===============
    First Order S.S.S.C.
    ===============

OMG Dropcid I LIKE YOU!

Someone who wants risk in their game!

Back in the SWB days of launch I was there too, the save at the BB was broken and after a fight I lost my guns that I had unequiped to do some MA attacks (god i was a silly soldier back then, but hey my first rpg game) and I needed to have friends help me find a gun just so I could fight again. Anyway PVP was a big thrill back then.

Having a lot of areas 75% gas again is another big thrill. It was fun running from guards, being chased, feeling unsafe in some areas, that everyone wanted to kill you and you needed to move fast and stay low if you wanted to live.

THAT WAS THE GAME I SIGNED UP FOR. Thrill and risk!

Yes, this is a good thing!

More risk = more fun.

However, I would rather see a different looting system. One that is not based on what you have saved.

Maybe something like 2-3 random items from your backpack and a 10-30% chance to loot one random equipped item.

EDIT:

I changed my mind. This is a BAD idea. It will only encourge griefing because you will not get a trophy or loot unless you gank a n00b that is out hunting because everyone else will save before going into the PvP zone.
    Last edited by Zeroshift; Feb 18th, 2002 at 21:35:25.

I have, more than once. Some PvP zones have hot mission areas.

And its not the thrill of the chase. Here is what happens:

You zone.
    They(more than two) /follow you.
    You Run.
    Your Non-PvP timer expires.
    They snare you.
    They root you.
    They de-buff your skills.
    They Taunt you.
    They then kill you.

FUN! .... not.

I stopped by Mort last night in the area where the Factory and Sentinel Base used to be packed with people. As you know with 13.6 that area was made 25%.

Not one soul in sight. If you want opinions on how people feel about PvP look at that, it means a lot more then anything posted here. Add looting to the mix and what do you think will happen? The only people that will ever be looted are unsuspecting victims that don't understand how PvP works or the occasional fool that forgot to scan.

If you all want to make improvments to PvP try these ideas:
    - Add a risk to the attacker.
    - Remove the XP loss or make it minimal. Nothing quite like losing 2+ hours of XP to someone taking no risk at all.
    - Make it rewarding to be in a PvP zone (hunt in a PvP zone). Currently XP is safer and more rewarding in 100% zones. With things as they are, why even bother going to a 25% gas zone to hunt?
    - Give reasons to PvP as a team. Titles turn PvP into a silly duel fest and breed board whiners complaining about class imbalance. The fact is, with buffing and equiping determining the winner of a PvP contest, PvP is already a team contest but title rewards are for solo people only.
    - PvP fights need to last longer so people that get jumped have time to decide if they want to stay and fight or run.

I feel that this type of change is ok, looting someones body is kinda cool, makes them have to think twice before entering a 25% zone.

But what i think should be added to the game is some sort of reward for having a title

such as "freshman" ~ adds 1% to damage
    rookie adds 5% to damage
    apprentice 9%
    Novice 15%

and put restrictions on when they will come into affect, such as:

1% (freshman) you can use through level 1 - 200
    5% (rookie) you can use through level 30 - 200
    9% (apprentice) you can use through level 60 - 200
    15% (novice) you can use through level 90 - 200

~ obviously these numbers can change, but this makes more people pvp and know what its all about, rather than just "bashing" it saying pvp is not part of the game, when really... it is. Why else you think guards attack you? Basically to piss you off, your in someone else's turf, now its your turn to kick some @ss.

Anyways, thats how i feel. People always ask me, "hey why does your name say apprentice?" Then i say i've killed 100+ people. Then the dude says, wow what kind of bonus you get for that? "nothing... it just looks cool " ~ the dude walks off laughing.

-breaku 113 apprentice ENF

PvP titles should not give you advantages... that is too easily exploitable by getting your friends together and killing them.

How does the title system work anyway? Can we get a run down on it please CZ?

I have been. It used to be common to find groups of agents and soldiers outside the 25% mission sites in Stret West Bank. They weren't there when I went in but they were there when I came out and took my XP. If they had also taken my loot then the whole two hours would have been wasted. People that have that experience are not going to keep pouring money and time into playing the game.

The same group stayed there a while ganking people. I came back with a group to kill them but they /terminated. That is the kind of player that this rule change is going to work for.

Scorus

Any other NTs out there with Kels or Volcanic, give me a tell in the game once this goes in so we can kill by the dozens and actually get something for it.

Seriously, this is only going to piss people off.

Has anyone on the FunCom staff played Ultima Online? Have you checked how many players actually play on the non care-bear land?

All this change will do is move more people to the already over-crowded 75-100% zones.

How about a PvP option for players? Then the PvPers can do all they want and FunCom can quit nerfing all of us who just PvE.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast