Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Policy Change - Ninja Looting

YAY!
    Board Member, Black Orchid

Hey, you look like me!
    Of course I do. I'm a beta unit.
    What the hell is a beta unit?
    A beta unit is a simuloid. An exact duplicate, only not as loud!

Here is a thought. I don't know about other guilds but whenever our guild does a raid everyone who is participating joins a private channel. How about having this channel serve as basically a giant team. For a set amount of time after the original team loses looting privilage (maybe 5-7 minutes), the loot when then only be available to members of the private channel. The channel has a leader who can set loot to any specific person in the channel. This will lessen the chance of a ninja looter who is not supposed to be there being able to loot.
    SmileyDoc, Veteran of Black Death Union

"No doc can heal stupidity." -Jynne

While I applaude the sentiment, I anticipate increased 'grief petitioning' in the same vein as when waping into camelot was made an exploit (where simply the presence of an Engineer was enough to start the petitions rolling)

People will always try and bend a system to their advantage. Even if they lose a raffle fair and square there will be those who will petition it as ninjaing just to stop the other person from having the item.

People are a problem
    Dont you think I look like Geordie from Star Trek?
    <-----------------------------------------------------------
    Actually I look more of a cross between him and Picard don't I?

Originally posted by Warlock
    While I applaude the sentiment, I anticipate increased 'grief petitioning' in the same vein as when waping into camelot was made an exploit (where simply the presence of an Engineer was enough to start the petitions rolling)

People will always try and bend a system to their advantage. Even if they lose a raffle fair and square there will be those who will petition it as ninjaing just to stop the other person from having the item.

People are a problem
    hehe so true
    That s why FC must help us. Give a ROLL function(bot roll). Allow Team of 15ppl for unique. Give a number to each teammate(alphabetic order for name) B4 roll. That could help a LOT at least ! it avoid ninja from outside team at first .
    loser of raffle are kicked from team by leader=only winner stay

only winner and leader can ninja like this but it s better to have 3 potential ninja than 30

A step in right direction FC, Thank You.

I like the idea Georg has about being able to assign looting rights. Only problem i see is the bug where someone goes LD and then noone in team is leader. Could be stuck with a unlootable corpse.

Another feature that i feel would be helpful is one i see in daoc. EVERYONE gets a msg when someone loots, not just the team of the looter. Anyone in general vicinity will be notified who looted what from what corpse.
    "In this great future, you can't forget your past"

Robert Nesta Marley

1. Target Person to receive item (anyone in vicinity).
    2. Right click item in Loot Window and select Transfer Item Icon
    3. If person selected cannot receive the item for whatever reason (inventory full etc...), it will just abort and tell you and the other person why.

Make it only work from a Loot window...

Then once you open the loot window you don't have to close it to pass loot around. If loot window stays open and body decays, you would still be able to transfer the loot.

Also make looting display in the vicinity if your not in the team, and make it display the same when they did the option stated above. You need this so there is no question as to who got the loot. You ninja, people don't team with you anymore...

Maybe need a Accept/Decline option on both ends as well...

Val
    Last edited by Valoren; Apr 11th, 2003 at 18:46:36.

Question Sweet happy for the change

I just have some questions.
    Not everyone reads the boards . So how do you expect everyone to know about such a policy. Also, how can you enforce such a large scale rule. I feel there are alot of greedy people in online games!! Does not matter if they need items or not in game. As long a eBay is an option this issue will still go on.

We are not just talking made up credits or items anymore, we are talking real cash.

Re: Sweet happy for the change

Originally posted by WarGear
    I just have some questions.
    Not everyone reads the boards . So how do you expect everyone to know about such a policy. Also, how can you enforce such a large scale rule. I feel there are alot of greedy people in online games!! Does not matter if they need items or not in game. As long a eBay is an option this issue will still go on.

We are not just talking made up credits or items anymore, we are talking real cash.
    Make uber stuff unique and nodrop.

Originally posted by Valoren
    1. Target Person to receive item (anyone in vicinity).
    2. Right click item in Loot Window and select Transfer Item Icon
    3. If person selected cannot receive the item for whatever reason (inventory full etc...), it will just abort and tell you and the other person why.

Make it only work from a Loot window...

Then once you open the loot window you don't have to close it to pass loot around. If loot window stays open and body decays, you would still be able to transfer the loot.

Also make looting display in the vicinity if your not in the team, and make it display the same when they did the option stated above. You need this so there is no question as to who got the loot. You ninja, people don't team with you anymore...

Maybe need a Accept/Decline option on both ends as well...

Val
    This is exactly right.

Perhaps make looting credits a visible display as well, so you know who has loot. Having these loot messages as a vicinity option as well as a team option is also important.
    Last edited by Thelcia; Apr 12th, 2003 at 01:32:39.

on the face of it a step in the right diretion ..yay!!

but will have to wait and see how it pans out.. have been shouted out by angry GM before some something i did not do and was not amusing to be stonewalled and simply told same over and over..for those who undoubtably will get caught out by this and have done nothing wrong will be bad imo.

as for teaming now i guess if when team is formed you have a macro saying how loot is to be treated and all there agree.. if for eg someone takes a GA IV disc when was said it was to be raffled then is a case for said to be ninja'd maybe and gm can check chat log if any are kept to verify..for large raids hopefully only folks experienced with how they work will try to resolve them ...though i dont envy them the job soemtimes raids are v confused.

<me crosses finger for the poor dude who pick a nodrop up by accident>.
    woohoo at last!!!! i've found my MK IV
    "Make all trader drains self only." -aaronb (asmoran)

Great decision

A thank you from meh.
    Dreamerxx - Doctor Current Setup Future Hope

Dreamerll - Soldier Babe

Dankala - Loved MP

Wound on the bone can heal but a wound from words may fester

I think this policy is ok for many situations but needs a little bit more clarification, if for anything to cut down on accusations. It is not going to be hard for a GM to determine what happened in the case of a solo ninja who opens a corpse while it is being changed hands.

Where I feel the policy needs to be clarified is in the area of damage teams from outside.

For example. I put together a damage team, none of us join the private channel so we are not affiliated really in any way with the other people. If we do the most damage and win the looting rights, how have we ninjad any loot? In this same scenario, if someone were to petition us and say we were killstealing, unless the policy on killstealing has changed, no action would be taken. This is the way AO was designed, in a case where multiple teams are involved, the team that does more damage is going to get more experience and the looting rights.

There are always going to be a lot of grey areas, the problem as I see it is that there is no support for multiple teams or teams larger than 6 members, yet in many cases, multiple teams/teams with more than 6 people are required to take down certain mobs.

Originally posted by Mztr44
    I think this policy is ok for many situations but needs a little bit more clarification, if for anything to cut down on accusations. It is not going to be hard for a GM to determine what happened in the case of a solo ninja who opens a corpse while it is being changed hands.

Where I feel the policy needs to be clarified is in the area of damage teams from outside.

For example. I put together a damage team, none of us join the private channel so we are not affiliated really in any way with the other people. If we do the most damage and win the looting rights, how have we ninjad any loot? In this same scenario, if someone were to petition us and say we were killstealing, unless the policy on killstealing has changed, no action would be taken. This is the way AO was designed, in a case where multiple teams are involved, the team that does more damage is going to get more experience and the looting rights.

There are always going to be a lot of grey areas, the problem as I see it is that there is no support for multiple teams or teams larger than 6 members, yet in many cases, multiple teams/teams with more than 6 people are required to take down certain mobs.
    Team of 15 ppl should be allow : in some area (where unique are) OR dmg should be allow on this unique only when team like that enable. At least it allows to win vs other group = best group win. But the main goal is to have all potential winner of loot in the team already so nobody from outside could ninja.
    It allows to compete between omni/clan group VS unique as well. Best dmg group win the loot.

I amnot for a the loot appears in the vicinity chat cos if u do /team loot all with no rule, and someone loot a GA4 it will be the mess =no ninja, and it floods the chat more. Look at daoc, too much flood outside sometimes. If someone not agree with loot all he can tell b4 start miss.

How about the mobs drop a container, that you have to rightclick to spawn the intended NoDrop item.

In order to curtail farming and stuff; put a effect on it that basically makes if spawn a leet doll or something if you zone before you "open" it:

Something like:

Onclick: Spawn some silly nodrop armor (azure perhaps)
    OnZone: Spawn Leet Doll

Should curb Ninjalooting ( if the assigned raidleader is trustworthy) and also stop farming (Contents for all, not just the uber ones)

Another vote for a /loot transfer [Target] command.
    cheers
    amis
    Skebet Omni lvl 181 MP

A good idea, but I think it will generate a lot of gm calls where people get suspected who did nothing.

The only way this might work out without generating to much false calls is a vicinity loot message, the same as you get in teams.
    RK1 Guild Apocalypse

Dillon "Duradas" Belote, Fixer
    Kiyoko "Selarana" Vallone, Meta Physicist
    Donald "Jorman" Dublin, Bureaucrat
    Burl "Gnorrg" Marinos, Enforcer
    Florence "Florania" Aronstein, Doctor
    ----
    RK3, Arnold "Gideon" Reineman, Enforcer

Originally posted by Greystar
    A good idea, but I think it will generate a lot of gm calls where people get suspected who did nothing.

The only way this might work out without generating to much false calls is a vicinity loot message, the same as you get in teams.
    I think maybe a vicinity loot msg thing could get quite spammy, but then again the idea has real merit, and I think it should be tested.

I also think that falsely accusing people of ninja have a very real possibility of being the kind of mistake a player should treasure, because it might very well end up being the last mistake you ever do in the game. I doubt the GMs enjoy being lied to and having their time wasted anymore than the rest of us, and unlike the rest of us they have a very wide range of tools for venting their dislike, plus the authority to do so.
    Reverend Revelator Ramagano, Proud Something of Alpha Omega

Alpha Omega: Fighting For Your Future, Today

No, I'm not back.

How embarrassing, after all these years it turns out I CAN'T spell **ncom with an F and a U, talk about egg on my face eh?

w0 *claps*

Ty for some good news =)
    GalxandJoan "Toxinator" Rox :: 202 Doc
    He "Tearspoint" Totem :: 215 Nano Tech :: Equipment :: Perks
    General :: Band of Brothers :: Band of Brothers Forums

Account Created
    2001-08-23 04:59:27

Account Status:
    Open

Thank you everybody for both the feedback and suggestions for making a more secure looting system. I know the designers are aware of the wish for a better system (and that they wish it themselves), so hopefully we can get something added in not too long.

Closing the thread, as I think we've explored the topic fully by now.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345