Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OOC: Timezones

Unhappy OOC: Timezones

I have discovered that I chose to live in the wrong timezone... I might be imagining or just have no clue, but I get the feeling that so many people are in a very different timezone than me. Most parties are held in the middle of the night (for me), most meetings are done very late at night (for me), and so many of the people active on this board are ingame when I sleep or when I'm at work. So I hardly ever get the chance to talk to any of you, which is a shame.

So...with no further adue...let's list our timezones. Only getting some nice rp during weekends is silly, and I want to change that for myself. I have met so many great people and roleplayers in this game, but I think I must be very "unlucky" since 99% of them live in a weird timezone for me. And hardly being able to talk during weekdays and only ever planning anything during weekends is getting rather boring. From now on, I'll steer clear of the US/Canadians, and befriend the Europeans . You know what I mean.

I live in Norway. GMT+2 for summertime, CET (Central European Time) normal.
    Last edited by Tussa; Apr 10th, 2003 at 08:56:39.

Question Hmmm...

I am AEST.
    That is, Australian Eastern Standard Time -or approximately GMT+9 or 10.

Not many people around my time :-)

Hey Lille,

I'm European, as is the balance of RUR. We get our fair share of roleplaying during the week. However if we want to do somethign that includes all members or a cross guild event, we're stuck with having to wait for the week-end as well. If we could get in touch with more Euro based roleplayer that would be nice.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Nooooo......

Lille you're NOT in the wrong timezone!!!!

Poetica winks
    Best regards Juliet Poetica Capulet (female solitus trader lvl195 - poet by heart, Oh Romeo, - who need Romeo?) Applicant of Ancarim Iron Legion

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)
    "Not all who wander are lost." (John Ronald Reuel Tolkien)
    "To Dare is to risk losing your foothold for a moment, Not to Dare is to risk losing yourself." (Søren Kierkegaard)

Anaïs Manifestos Nin (female solitus mp lvl 171) Member of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Angel Heroess Heart (female solitus fixer lvl 102) Applicant of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Luna YangYing Lee (female solitus MA lvl 75) Unit Commander of Legionaries
    Meow Wyxxen Meow (female solitus doc lvl 74) Applicant of Legionaries
    Destiny ZorZereZ Decay (female nanomage nt lvl 57) Applicant of Legionaries
    Kittie DarkGodess Catt (female solitus soldier lvl 39) Applicant of Legionaries
    Modesty PlayGirl Blaise (female solitus engie lvl 19) Member of Legionaries

Absolutely not Lillemaju, that timezone is ABSOLUTELY wonderful
    ~Have you hugged your leet today?~

F̶u̶n̶c̶o̶m̶ ̶l̶i̶s̶t̶e̶n̶s̶ ̶:̶)̶
    Thanks for "fixing" DM, Funcom, yeah, no really... thank you so, so much. I was missing having my toolset put back to 2007.

Re: OOC: Timezones

Originally posted by Lillemjau
    So...with no further adue...let's list our timezones. Only getting some nice rp during weekends is silly, and I want to change that for myself.

I live in Norway. GMT+2 for summertime, CET (Central European Time) normal.
    I live in GMT -5. Most of the RPer's I know live in the USA which is
    GMT -5, -6, -7 & -8. So to coordinate an RP with a GMT +2 is next to impossible during the week for USA folks.

Maybe if people started using the Player Calendar more, it would be easier to find an RP event and boost participation.

-Tifanyx

Hiya

((GMT here, in the north of Blighty feel free to give me a shout if you fancy a chat, or a beer ))
    Balerienne
    tek_chik@postmaster.co.uk

*laughs* Yes it is a wonderful timezone full of wonderful people

This said, unless meeting US people who have, uhm, weird hours of playing (no, Sezmra neeeever go to bed at 4 am, and Jon neeeever go to bed at 11 am *coughs* *winks*), I have to agree that... it can be hard. Myself am mostly stuck to one hour of playing mx on weekdays, due to work, of course, but also homework to do (and I've had my share of doing homework till 2-3 am for 2 years when I was in prep', so thanka you very much, but it gets tiring playing *before* and doing the homework *after*, huh ^_^). Add this to timezones, the mix isn't very... amusing.

*is at work as of typing these words, just after lunch pause. See where it gets us... uuh*

This said, Lille, you know where to find me even out of game. Beware the Dem' in holidays soon! I miss teasing o nee-chan waaaay too much to let the opportunity pass

NB - In case I wasn't clear enough, I'm currently GMT +2 too!
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

OH! How I long for the days when the earth was flat and we all could play AO together!
    Bliqz, Agent, Omni, Atlantean, "Iron Chef of Rubi-Ka"
    God is a bullet.

((The IC only RP forum is back. Bliqz is an Omni Extremist, and his posts IN THAT FORUM reflect that attitude. I can be reached by PM if you feel I have personaly offended you, and I will be happy to change/temper my post. Thank you, and have fun!))

Nevver whacks Bliqz over the head.

The earth, she's-a flat like-a you head!

Lille, I think this is a great start for getting players in other time zones together. Maybe a sticky would be in order for when players "register."

Oh - I'm U.S. EST.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

I am in the US EDT (for those of you above who listed your time as EST (eastern standard time) don't forget that we moved our clocks up an hour last weekend, so we're on Daylight savings time. But I have a question. During standard time I'm in gmt-5, but does that mean that I'm in GMT-4 during daylight savings time or still gmt-5?
    Cathryn "Vallikat" Thompon

Your queen of muffiny goodness!
    Director - Gridstream Productions --->Tune In Here

Member, GSP Dancers

Gunney: Lissunin ta GSP mayukz me wanna play... wut bettah reezun duz enee wun need?

Bliqz runs about in circles.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! ...that or a chirop bomber squadron droped an egg on my head.

USA EST here as well.
    God is a bullet.

((The IC only RP forum is back. Bliqz is an Omni Extremist, and his posts IN THAT FORUM reflect that attitude. I can be reached by PM if you feel I have personaly offended you, and I will be happy to change/temper my post. Thank you, and have fun!))

...Gah. GMT not changing, you should be -4, Vallikat, but I always get lost in this myself anyways, so....
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

'GMT' like 'EST' technically never changes. However most of Europe do have their own equivalent of daylight saving.

In England we are now on British Summer Time (BST) which is GMT+1. So at present the relative time difference between London and New York is still 5 hours, regardless if you calculate it as GMT->EST or BST->EDT.

Of course actual dates used in Europe and America move their clocks forward and back are not synchronised, so there is always that confusing week or two when one continent is on Summer time and the other isn't.

All of which suggests that the only sensible people are the Icelanders who simply stick to GMT.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

I am GMT -7...err...I think. US Mountain time.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Valli...

we are in Daylight saving time now...

actually Europe reset there clocks one week before us so we had one week where the difference was not GMT -5 but GMT -6...

Now we are back to normal again... GMT -5 in your case.

I am CST by the way... (thats GMT -6)

(Chicago, YAY!)

Sid

Germany, thus GMT+2
    (CET too, as in Norway)
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol
    Level 207 Omni-Tek Dictator
    Meister's Reinforced Suit - Bureaucrats may be gimps, but at least we know how to look good.
    Account Created: 2001-06-27 23:07:32

Originally posted by Sidarion
    Valli...

we are in Daylight saving time now...

actually Europe reset there clocks one week before us so we had one week where the difference was not GMT -5 but GMT -6...

Now we are back to normal again... GMT -5 in your case.

I am CST by the way... (thats GMT -6)

(Chicago, YAY!)

Sid
    Um Sid, yeah, I think I said that we are in Daylight Savings time. ..I was just wondering if we have a different offset from GMT now or not, but you answered that.
    Cathryn "Vallikat" Thompon

Your queen of muffiny goodness!
    Director - Gridstream Productions --->Tune In Here

Member, GSP Dancers

Gunney: Lissunin ta GSP mayukz me wanna play... wut bettah reezun duz enee wun need?

Its all very easy.

When its noon in GMT, its...add the 4....carry the 6...Factor of 2 for daylight savings...

Twenty-Seventeen o'clock in your Time zone, ValliKat.
    God is a bullet.

Originally posted by ValliKat

Um Sid, yeah, I think I said that we are in Daylight Savings time. ..I was just wondering if we have a different offset from GMT now or not, but you answered that.
    Sid is wrong. We are actually now GMT -4, (& -5 , -6, -7)

GMT is always constant. If in EST we are GMT -5 , then we ADD an hour to become EDT , that makes it GMT -4.. Don't believe me?

Check here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast