Thread: OOC: I remember when I got this...

I remember when I got this...

..game I heard something about a finite story time. If I recall correctly, two years of pure story driven action at which point a conclusion would be met and the server reset. Now, I do not hear anything of the sort at this time. Have Funcom's plans changed?

I was around during beta4 and I played up until 02. If the game is going to abruptly end I don't think I want to play it anymore..it's not worth it. Even if the servers do start back up I would have to remake everything and reconnect w/ all my old chums.

Basically this thread is about answering that question. Was there ever a plan to have a finite story driven game? In games like Ultimate Online there is a story but they never restart the servers, it just keeps going and they just keep writing in new events.

OOC

The way I've heard this (and I am so not a reliable source) that the planned duration of the story is now 5 years. Once the story has run it's course, the main storyline will finish, but the world will remain active and not reset, at least as long as there are people paying Funcom to upkeep the servers. I'm sure ARK will be around to make up some new "official" stories to keep us RP folks happy, but as far as I know, the only server that will ever be subject to a reset is Test......cause it's Test. :P
    Janeen "Kyrstina" Gabriel - Level 127 Adventurer - Squad Commander, Whisper's Edge
    ------------
    Check out my armor set I'm working to have one day.....and I'm pretty darn close now (or better) ^_^

I am certain i read that the current story arc would last 4 years, we are approaching the halfway stage. After which this arc would end and the servers continue allowing for more story arcs to be run.
    Omni-Pol intelligence report for Peregrinus Praecautus
    Known applicant of Third Faction
    Warning! Record is being accessed by an external source of unknown origin.
    Recovering file

be on your guard pilgrim
    File ends

Ok, when do the aliens invade the sol system and we all get to take a sub space ship there to fight the evil people!

oh wait...that was another movie. Hmm.

I can see some good story opportunities but I am happy and fond of this one. I mean, I am no RPER but AO has such a good storyline. W/ out it, the conflict between OT and the Clans, I am not sure if the "WOOSH" that goes into player's motives will be there. Thus, will it be a gameplay experience similar to the one we know now?

((The clans sure could use a bit more incentive though.

The old: "j00 mistreated my ancestors in the mines, I will keel j00." Sadly isn't quite cutting it anymore. ))
    Garret "Necc" Scheer press officer of Desert Winds (MSAS)

Karma, the world's true equalizer.

Free Rubi-Ka!