Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Modest Proposal.

I'm not an Omni employee. I'm just not a communist. Capitalism goes hand in hand with democracy. Its the freest economy form and the most intelligent. And what you're saying makes no sense at all. "Don't work and get more money". Kinda like stealing. Getting money for nothing. No, thats stupid. You do work, you get rewarded. If you're lazy, you don't. Get a job. If you can't, you get some welfare. Capitalism works. Your system doesn't. There is no incentive for progress.

And don't you dare say that I'm sounding like an Omni employee, Mr. Might Makes Right.
    Last edited by Uwen; Apr 6th, 2003 at 00:40:04.
    Bliqz: "anything Uwen says is a vicious and ugly lie"

Originally posted by Uwen
    "Don't work and get more money"
    I'm still amazed at how you can quote something and say it came from someone when they never in their lifetime said what you're quoting. For all I know you pulled that out of one of Bliqz's Clanner Fortune Cookies.

Anyway, since you missed entirely what I said I'll rephrase.

Clans are not about climbing the corporate latter or gaining wealth. Omni-Tek is about climbing the corporate latter and gaining wealth. So, when you said, "you work hard, you get more money," I was picturing some Omni-Exec telling thier employee how to behave. I thought you were practicing for the position. Thus my comment, "how much longer before you fill out the application?"

Uwen, if you don't want to come off as sounding like an Omni sympathizer, or even a potential recruit, then stop preaching the Omni-Tek way.

Ok, if you don't work hard, you get more money. That is what your saying, even if "not working and getting money" isn't. How does that make any sense? It doesn't. I'm not preaching the "OmniTek" way, I'm saying that working hard gets you rewards. Its how life works.

Uwen,

You have to understand the basic premise of communism to make sense of what Cemetarygate is suggesting.

Communists belive that every comrade will always put 100% effort into what they do. Not taking into account laziness, and greed. To make this system work, it requires that ALL comrades are on board and believe in the ideal...even less likley to work as intended than capitalism where at least there is the chance that your hard work will pay off eventualy.

However, in a "Business as Government" society, there is direct means to guage and reward performance.
    Last edited by Bliqz; Apr 7th, 2003 at 17:35:35.
    Bliqz, Agent, Omni, Atlantean, "Iron Chef of Rubi-Ka"
    God is a bullet.

((The IC only RP forum is back. Bliqz is an Omni Extremist, and his posts IN THAT FORUM reflect that attitude. I can be reached by PM if you feel I have personaly offended you, and I will be happy to change/temper my post. Thank you, and have fun!))

Uwen, "poverty," doesn't mean "not working." Means lack of money or below the standard. The people can still be working, possibly harder than those wealther than them, but still not earning enough to survive. So, you're wrong to say "working hard gets you rewards." Sometimes it doesn't.

Thus, I'm saying, clans want to tax the wealthy and refund the poor so everyone has enough to survive.

I'm saying working hard should give you rewards. Now, if you are just saying a bit of welfare to help the poor survive, then yes, thats good. But giving money to people who do no work is not good. That was the point I was trying to get across.

Originally posted by Cemetarygate
    Uwen, "poverty," doesn't mean "not working." Means lack of money or below the standard. The people can still be working, possibly harder than those wealther than them, but still not earning enough to survive. So, you're wrong to say "working hard gets you rewards." Sometimes it doesn't.

Thus, I'm saying, clans want to tax the wealthy and refund the poor so everyone has enough to survive.
    Thats right folks! All that money you have earned over the years is now belong to the clan. Your good idea now pays the un-thinkers. The fruits of your labors now go to those that feel you dont deserve what you make.

Bliqz spits.

Questions.
    -What is poverty?
    -Define "work"
    -How will the tax scale work?
    -Define "rich" liquid assests, or invested?

Lets take Yalmahas. Someone designed, paid for single run prototypes, field trials, liability and patent insurance, initial investment capital, re-investment to expand, advertising, promotional premiums, waranty replacement, and any other expenses that they incure on a daily basis.

How do you justify saying that that person now "owes" a living to the poor?
    God is a bullet.

((The IC only RP forum is back. Bliqz is an Omni Extremist, and his posts IN THAT FORUM reflect that attitude. I can be reached by PM if you feel I have personaly offended you, and I will be happy to change/temper my post. Thank you, and have fun!))

Re: A Modest Proposal.

*yawns and nods off into a deep sleep*

Originally posted by Bliqz
    Far be it from me to not at least consider other ideas before making a personal decision on their merit, and company compatability. In this spirit, I want to take a moment to consider in conjecture only what would Rubi-Ka be like should there be a planet wide democratic process.

The screen shakes and grows cloudy, signaling the onset of a dream sequence.

First of all, Omni-Tek would absorb all obsoleted professionals. Agents, Soldiers, Adventurers etc. Every employee that cannot be placed planet side in a gainful employment position will be sent back to Omni-Prime for reassignment.

Clan professionals, will be out of work, poor, hungry, and dirty (some things never change), as there is no parent organization to absorb all the out of work individuals who up to this point made their living off of killing and looting the Omni faithful. There will of course a few clanners quite well off. THose that posess trade skills will do well, as will those with access to Notum Mines.

But tragicly most will be destitute, and poor with no way to provide for their biological needs. This is a problem that must be addressed.

I, Bliqz, humbly submit to you these ways that post-election, out of work clanners may contribute to society.

-Of course, there is the obvious solution, they are a food source. They could gather amongst themselves and democraticly decide who gets the opprotunity to be eaten.

-Carrying this thought a bit further, as minors do not have the right to vote, the parents could make the decision for their children. I have been assured by a very knowing Omni of my acquaintance in Rome, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled. The revenues generated from this venture could keep a clan family in food and new cloths for a week.

-Buy what about benefits to the scientific community? Medical testing on live subjects has the potential to advance the science of medicine in leaps and bounds. In addition to this, organ replacement lists could be all but eliminated with clanners democraticly choosing who is allowed to participate in the grand adventure that is science!

-And then there is the artistic community. Clanner gut makes a delightful violin string. What a pleasent thought that the clans could contribute to a beautiful symphony, or contatta...all brought to your ears thru the miracle that is the democratic process!

A person should never be so rigid in their ways that they cannot bent with the winds of change. A duly elected government providing all these wonderful opprotunities to the post war clanner issue could...possibly...have my endorsment.

((Many apologies to Johnathan Swift, whose original proposal was even more gruesome than mine.))

Re: Re: A Modest Proposal.

Originally posted by Nelida
    *yawns and nods off into a deep sleep*
    Bliqz sneaks up behind Nelida while she sleeps and makes a violin out of her.
    God is a bullet.

Questions.
    -What is poverty?
    -Define "work"
    -How will the tax scale work?
    -Define "rich" liquid assests, or invested?
    After the government takes shape a census can be distributed to to gather the necessary information to determine the poverty level, acceptable forms of work (legal ways of generating credits), the tax scale and what constitutes being wealthy.

This information can be gathered now, but would be a waste of time considering we expect new jobs to form, possibly alternate ways of generating credits and more people.

How do you justify saying that that person now "owes" a living to the poor?
    Since you're Omni, I don't expect you to understand what working together for a common goal means. The Omni-Tek way seems to be everyone for themselves which shows by your asking why someone at the top owes the person at the bottom anything.

However, please pay attention more, Bliqz, I've already said why. We do not want a "poor, hungry, and dirty" society. We do not believe in a society where people have to suffer such fates. Our people, unlike Omni-Tek, are willing to work together to ensure all our people are clean, clothed, fed and happy; so they are not suffering.

We do not want a "poor, hungry, and dirty" society. We do not believe in a society where people have to suffer such fates. Our people, unlike Omni-Tek, are willing to work together to ensure all our people are clean, clothed, fed and happy; so they are not suffering.
    So then why is it that when something isn't working in Rome Blue, Highrise 7 Omni-Manitenence fixes it in a prompt and efficient manner? The anwers is simple, Omni-Tek cares about its employees and looks out for our well being so that we may serve the company with greater efficiency. Omni-Tek does look after it's own.

Oh, before I forget, Since when did clanners want to be clean?

/puzzled

Since you're Omni, I don't expect you to understand what working together for a common goal means. The Omni-Tek way seems to be everyone for themselves which shows by your asking why someone at the top owes the person at the bottom anything.
    Wait a minute, I thought I was a brainwashed Omni-Tek drone. What am I supposed to be this week?

*checks her schedule*

*chuckles*

You have no idea what it means to be a true member of the greatest company, family, and force this universe has ever seen. But you could. If you Clans would ever get over yourselves and realise what potential you have being a part of something great. And being rewarded for your hard and honest work.
    Vice President Cristin "Jypsie" Kaba
    Division 9 : Rational Science and Genotype Enforcement
    R.S.G.E Division 9

Webster is your friend.

You who consider yourselves actors and performers,
    if you play a compelling tune the people will dance.
    - Leetraider

Shuldrich, let's not kid ourselves. You and I both know Omni-Maintenance won't budge unless there's credits invovled. They fix your apartment because you pay them.

Look around Omni-Ent and Omni-Trade. Take note of the garbage that lines the streets (the cleaning bots are not working properly) and the run down buildings. Omni-Maintenance hasn't touched that stuff and won't unless they get something in return. Proving, yet again, the lack of desire to simply help each other.

Jypsie, wrong quote perhaps? I don't show "Omni-Tek are not brainwashed" in the quote you're referring to.

Hmmmm...there's an Omni-Maintenance now?

Emiliy Age
    Unit Leader, Foreign Relations
    Speak your heart, don't bite your tongue...

Whisper's Edge | Gridmail | Engy's Workshop | Tir School of Engineering

Bliqz on Shadowlands: "Gonna make it hard to decide who I can and cant eat."

Look around Omni-Ent and Omni-Trade. Take note of the garbage that lines the streets (the cleaning bots are not working properly) and the run down buildings. Omni-Maintenance hasn't touched that stuff and won't unless they get something in return. Proving, yet again, the lack of desire to simply help each other.
    Other than being comlpetely mistaken, have you ever been to the nasty vermin ridden dirt hole called Athen? Vendors plying their factory seconds in the street. Tir is actualy MADE of dirt.

Omni bots work fine, and we have very little litter compared to population.
    God is a bullet.

...have you ever been to the nasty vermin ridden dirt hole called Athen?
    Emiliy takes a quick walk around Old Athen

There it is!

Emiliy points to the defused Omni-Tek certified Grandfather-of-mother-of-all-bombs

Now...I wonder who made this mess in Athen...
    Emiliy Age
    Unit Leader, Foreign Relations
    Speak your heart, don't bite your tongue...

Whisper's Edge | Gridmail | Engy's Workshop | Tir School of Engineering

Bliqz on Shadowlands: "Gonna make it hard to decide who I can and cant eat."

Other than being comlpetely mistaken, have you ever been to the nasty vermin ridden dirt hole called Athen? Vendors plying their factory seconds in the street. Tir is actualy MADE of dirt.

Omni bots work fine, and we have very little litter compared to population.
    I suppose the brainwashing you endure prevents you from seeing the filth on the streets and the run down buildings.

Thank you for mentioning Athen. That is a prime example of what we wish to clean and make better for our people when we have the proper funding.

Emiliy and Cemetarygate:

Athen was named after the clan leader that SACKED AND PLUNDERD the city. OTRK did make an effort to retake it, but you are telling me that after more than 250 years you cant clean the place up a bit? Lazy...One word I feel more and more defines you dirt loving clanners...All I see lately is this disgusting attitude that you are owed a living not because you work for it, or earn it, but simply because you had the misfortune to be born in that cesspool you call home.

Pick yourselves out of the slime, and join the hard working masses of humanity. A little hard work never hurt anyone, and a little elbow grease might make yout cities a litlte more tolerable.

And take a bath. You stink of communism, and blolgna.
    God is a bullet.

Cemetary,

Ok, are we brainwashed drones or selfish ladderclimbers? Drones cannot be out for themselves. Or do you mean that we have been brainwashed INTO becoming self-serving powermongers?

Just amusing myself with wondering which one we're supposed to be now.
    Last edited by Jypsie; Apr 8th, 2003 at 19:56:30.
    Vice President Cristin "Jypsie" Kaba
    Division 9 : Rational Science and Genotype Enforcement
    R.S.G.E Division 9

Webster is your friend.

You who consider yourselves actors and performers,
    if you play a compelling tune the people will dance.
    - Leetraider

Jypsie, you're to follow the company motifs (political and economic gain), do what the company wants you to do, say what the company wants you to say and think what the company wants you to think. Which, not only are you legally obligated, please note the fine print in the Omni-Tek contract you signed, to do, but are also brainwashed to ensure you do.

This includes, but not limited to, stepping on anyone to climb the corporate latter and oppressing those beneath you to ensure you stay at the top. Higher position, as I'm sure Omni-Tek considers, is your reward for being a good little drone.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast