Thread: Lunatic Fringe

Lunatic Fringe

Diakonos awoke gagged and chained to a chair. He was in a classroom of crumbling stone, ancient desks, and rusty well-worn implements that were obviously designed to extract screams out of sentient beings. As his vision cleared he noticed a sickly white figure standing near a cracked chalkboard, its eyes and mouth horribly mutilated. The apparition grinned at Diakonos, unexpectedly jovial albeit in a way that set his hair on end. It held an ancient pointing stick that slowly bled, staining its hands and splattering flecks of blood on the walls, floor, and chalkboard everytime the figure gestured at something. Drawn on the chalkboard was the simple figure of a man in front of a triangle with circles at the points. Inside the circles were strange symbols that seemed almost recognizable.

"Greetings Diakonos, it's time for your lesson," said a disembodied voice that seemed to wander around Dia's head. "Today we'll discuss the composition of a human being." The figure struck the board, splatting a few drops of blood onto the drawing. "Observe that each human consists of three parts: body *splat*, mind *splat*, and soul *splat*. The body is the physical presence of the human, a vehicle for interaction in the material realm. The mind handles the thoughts, cognitive functions, and the like. The soul is the eternal life force; it is the heart and will. All non-cognitive feelings such as instinct and love originate in the soul. All motivations beyond reason, all miraculous energies that push a human beyond its limits... all these things originate in the soul. Do you understand?" Diakonos, not able to do anything else and not even sure what that could be, dumbly nodded.

"Now then, humans have developed technology that manipulates all facets of life. Insurance terminals for example can rebuild a person exactly as he or she was at their time of death, body and mind, and somehow direct the soul to enter the new body. That person, although a new creation is wholly the same as the original." The voice paused for a moment before speaking again, this time sickeningly close to Dia's right ear; a phantom tongue occasionally flicking greasily against his lobe and a phantom breath that brushed like dirty spider hairs. "The soul is vulnerable for a moment. It does not pass into an afterlife, it lingers in the void until the body and mind are reconstructed and it is able to armor itself once more in a persona...."

The figure licked scarred and stitched lips. "I hunger Diakonos. I wish to feast upon the souls of humans, that inexplicable energy they take for granted. On Old Earth there was a legend about a man who had a thousand demons possesing him, calling themselves Legion. They were driven from him into a herd of pigs... the entire herd of pigs could not contain the number of demons that were but a moment ago inside of one man... their wills shattered and they flung themselves off of a cliff to die. I need that terribly and I want you to bring it to me. I will give you anything in return; wealth, women, or power -- name it and it is yours. I can make you great if you can bring me souls...." The voice faded. "I will see you again my friend." The voice was gone.

Diakonos awoke in a cold sweat, breathing heavily. He massaged his wrists and his mouth and it seemed the faint smell of decay was still in his nostrils. He pushed the covers off of his futon and checked his wall clock. Another half hour before he had to get ready for work. Breathing deeply, he relaxed into a practiced sitting position and began to meditate, bringing his scattered thoughts to a determined order.

OOC:

I'm not sure how this will translate into an org I hoped to form called Lunatic Fringe. As I develop this story, perhaps it will turn into something more useful for a group situation. Anyway, for those who have read my other thread and expressed interest in this, this is the start of one of the ideas I've been throwing around.
    Last edited by ebullient; Apr 4th, 2003 at 08:59:02.
    The only difference between genius and insanity is success.

Diakonos left his apartment in Rome just as the suns were coming up. Putting on his sunglasses, he strolled to the grid terminal in order to meet his supervisor at a burger stand in Trade.

Although a martial artist by nature, he was asked to be a consultant on the project that aimed to open up Jobe. He had previous experience with brokering deals -- albeit uninentionally. He grimaced. While Omni-tek was his employer, he preferred not to have a carreer thrust upon him, especially in something he disliked. He prayed that his employment would not become habitually based on accidental successes. To add insult to injury, all he could honestly say for his current job was that he was nothing more than a paper-pusher and a gofer and not involved in any real work. Perhaps he could get off early today and hit a mission terminal. It would do him good to refine his skills for a while....

Dia's supervisor was already seated on a stool at the stand, a half-eaten bronto deluxe on the counter before him. Diakonos sighed -- he was getting tired of bronto meat -- but sat down to order something anyway. He courteously greeted his boss who was uncharacteristically silent. Dia's food came and he was halfway through before the supervisor spoke.

"We got some news today, something that may complicate the project." Diakonos mumbled something indifferently, mind on his own thoughts. "Some of the top minds at Jobe are talking about trying to find the source of notum. They think that a whole other dimension may exist on -- or is it in -- Rubi-ka." Mildly interested, Diakonos looked at him but he had said all he wanted to. The rest of the day Dia spent uneventfully in paperwork and errands, getting home too late to use the mission terminal.

Voice 1: "What is the subject's status?"

Voice 2: "No change. The subject is proving to be remarkably resilient."

Voice 3: "I disagree. While not showing something that is readily apparent I believe that the subject has been uneasy as of late."

Voice 1: "How is the project working?"

Voice 2: "The nano program is running better than expected, the visuals are more vivid than any we ran in the lab."

Voice 3: "I have also been able to keep him so busy that he doesn't have time to sort out his mind. He depends too heavily on combat to keep him sharp. His frustration with his job is rising as well and the stress is gradually weakening him. It is only a matter of time before his will fails."

Voice 1: "Have you been able to keep the program hidden?"

Voices 2+3: "Yes --"

Voice 2: "Excuse me. Yes it was fairly easy to cloak, if he checks his ncu all he'll find is a high quality run speed modifier. I've made sure the program does that as well." Icily, towards Voice 3, "Seeing as how it is my responsibility, how have you been able to help?"

Voice 3: "I know him. He rarely checks his ncu unless he's in a combat situation, therefore if I keep him out of combat he's not likely to notice anything. Also, I keep him to busy to think about mundane things like what's running on his ncu. It would take something pretty severe to happen while he was awake before he'd even think to check."

Voice 2: "I seriously doubt that's necessary, 'friend.' I'd suggest that you --."

Voice 1: "Enough. In any case I think it's time we added more subjects to our expirement. The portal will be opened soon and unless our position is secure the subjects will be like leets to the slaughter and all our progress will have been lost. Am I making myself clear?"

Voices 2+3: "Yes sir!"

Voice 1: "Very good. Add at least 5 more, and run the next simulation on the current subject tonight. That is all."

I just have to say, I think these are awesome. Of course, I'm your friend, but I still think they're very entertaining.

So, how are you going to work me into the story?
    Beiko, Fixer, Omni, Rimor
    Valhall Guardians

There's no excuse for being Slow. Same with being Unfashionable.

OOC

Write yourself in Beiko, this is an open thread. I'll write story elements for your responses. As of right now, one of your options is to be one of the test subjects and your dream can be anything you like as long as it's at least borderline crazy. I suppose the following one isn't really like that though :/ . Anyone could join on any part of this, I just don't know anyone particularly well enough to mention names. Also, I suppose this story is too full of holes or is too gritty, the forum seems a little more lighthearted . I apologize if this is so, but I'm enjoying myself so :P .

/OOC

Diakonos awoke to a landscape covered in grass and wind. There were trees and cliffs in the distance that seemed to signal the onset of wholly different territory and the whole was somewhat familiar but unlike any place he had seen on Rubi-Ka. However it did seem to be his home as there were twin suns blazing in the sky.

He stood up and scanned the horizon. There wasn't a sign of civilization anywhere, but the cliffs obstructed his view. Upon closer examination he noticed how ragged and sharp they were, like talons attempting to gut the sky. He cringed inwardly a little, having been gutted before. That brought his mind to insurance terminals and then to the dream he'd had the previous night. He wondered if this was going to be similar and right on cue, a figure appeared in his peripheral vision. Turning, he was unable to make out anything other than a vaguely humanoid being that wafted like fire in clear white light. The figure was more clear out of the corner of his eye.

"Greetings Diakonos," a voice said slowly moving around his head as before. Only this time it was firm, direct, and even somewhat gentle.

The figure and Diakonos stood looking at each other for a moment (at least, that's how it seemed to him) until Diakonos felt the urge to speak.

"Um, greetings." He felt it was important to keep it somewhat formal for some reason, but he felt foolish.

"Do you know why you are here?"

"Of course not."

The figure seemed to nod vaguely. The voice spoke again, this time startlingly close and quiet.

"You stand at a crux in your life. Last night you were offered a decision, and tonight I will offer you a decision. There is something you should know first however." Diakonos waited, his naturally white hair blowing in sync with the grass. "While both of these messages are legitimate, there are others attempting to play with your mind. They seek my land, my... rival's land, and they wish for you and for others to be ready to take anything of value once they've made contact. The dreams you've been having are intended to shape you into a vacuum, to suck power and knowledge and spew it back into their laps. All of the gain and none of the pain, as it were." The figure seemed to smirk and Diakonos waited tensely, competely clueless. The voice continued somberly. "However, they did not anticipate this. Somehow their machinations have opened a channel between your world and mine. They do not realize that their carefully planned dream sequences are not running according to their designs. Their computer sees only what they wish it to see, for they forgot to include a method to see into your mind. What you saw last night was as real as a dream can be, and the message even more so. My message to you is just as real." The voice went silent.

"What message?" Diakonos hesitantly asked.

"My 'counterpart' offers you riches, fame, and glory. Any lust it can fulfill. I do not care if that is true and I will plainly tell you that I do not offer any of that. What I offer is growth. You can side with me and grow in stature, in strength, in discipline, and in honor. Your heart desires this, I have felt it even here."

"What do you want in return?"

"Resist my enemy. That is all I will say for now." The wind roughly caressed the grass and Dia's clothes and hair. He sat and attempted to wrap his mind around what was happening to him.

"I suppose despite your desire to be sharpened, you are also tempted by the easy pleasures the other one offers. Fine then. Meditate on this and search your heart. However know that my enemy is rightfully referred to as 'The Destroyer.'"

"And what are you known as?"

"You can call me 'The Banner.'" The voice faded into the wind along with the figure.

Diakonos awoke and checked his clock. Same time as yesterday morning. He sighed and relaxed into meditation. Of all the things he wanted to do today, the last thing he wanted to do was go to work.
    Last edited by ebullient; Apr 7th, 2003 at 17:02:34.

Voice 3: "The subject has taken the day off today."

Voice 1: "What is he doing?"

Voice 3: "I believe he plans on completing some missions, combat always seems to help him clear his mind."

Voice 1: "Then we must prepare a mission for him immediately. Is it possible to simulate what we want?"

Voice 2: "Yes... yes we can do that. I'll make sure that any mission he gets encourages him to use the grid. After that, it's merely a matter of keeping him inside and directing him to our simulation. He'll think he's left the grid and proceeded to the mission area, etc. when really he's just wandering around in the program."

Voice 3: "What if he gets on a team? He likes to go it alone usually, but I've teamed with him before."

Voice 2: "That won't be a problem. I'll post some polite withdrawal on his team's commlink and then use his team members in the simulation. In fact, that would make it even more interesting."

Voice 1: "Alright then. This is the perfect opportunity to intensely develop his conditioning so let's keep him in there all day. I expect status reports every 15 minutes or so. That is all."
    Last edited by ebullient; Apr 7th, 2003 at 23:36:16.