Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nanomages, Notum depletion, evidence or lack thereof

Originally posted by Emiliy
    No, that's Omni-Tek. Do you need to go see Ms. Pourais at Omni-Reform again, Bliqz? She'd be quite upset to hear a "loyal employee" so obviously confused.
    Omni-Tek is a business...Democracy is a government.

Originally posted by Emiliy
    So Bliqz, who's backing your little "cookbook"? Considering that everyone on Rubi-Ka now knows of its vile contents, I would argue you've done quite the job in this regard...and given your recollection of such intricate details, are obvious very familiar with this process. So tell me: who's backing you, and what are you giving them? (( #3))
    I have said time and time again that sales on my cookbook are terrible. I published the original independantly, and rely on the occasional tabloid and newsfeed to squeeze in the newest culinary delight. The only profitable portion of my cooking career has been the infrequent dinner party I cater to the more refined Omni-Tek pallate...Should you ever find yourself in need of a tray of biscotti, or a gourmet desert, please, feel free to drop me a com.
    Bliqz, Agent, Omni, Atlantean, "Iron Chef of Rubi-Ka"
    God is a bullet.

((The IC only RP forum is back. Bliqz is an Omni Extremist, and his posts IN THAT FORUM reflect that attitude. I can be reached by PM if you feel I have personaly offended you, and I will be happy to change/temper my post. Thank you, and have fun!))

Wow... can I deliver the scalp then kill Bliqz? Two million creds and get rid of two detriments to society? Sweet!

And Bliqz, I've presented the same argument. OmniTek can be a dictatorship in business all it wants. Just not as government. As long as it has a police force, an army, and an governmental department (Admin) it is a government in addition to a company. In fact, I could explain, yet again, my "vision" which would make everyone happy, boost profits, give democracy, whole kit 'n kaboodle. But I don't know if I feel up to it now. Maybe later.
    Last edited by Uwen; Apr 1st, 2003 at 04:04:29.
    Bliqz: "anything Uwen says is a vicious and ugly lie"

Forgive me if I've missed something. I just arrived on the shuttle a few weeks ago. I didn't think anyone spoke for the clans. Not even Henry Radical or whatever his name is.

But when I see clanners killing the guards in West Athens, when I see clanners tearing down each other's mining towers, when I hear fights break out on the radio with the least provocation, I don't believe us clanners would take orders from anyone. And Omni-Tek doesn't look any different from here.

I doubt I'm the only one who didn't come here to fight for a romantic cause with the easy morality of the underdog. I joined the clans just to spite Omni-Tek. They bought my contract, paid off my crimes, covered my shuttle fare, gave me "a chance at a new life on mysterious Rubi-Ka." Their price was right, but they never said "please."

Business or government, the wealthy always pay tribute to the powerful. Bribes, taxes, extortion, insurance, Political Action Committees, whatever you want to call it. At least this ensures that only people smart or strong or lucky enough to hang onto some cash who're willing to put their money where their mouth is have influence. I'd rather live with that than some feel-good universal suffrage. Just look around you. Would you want most of the people you see deciding the future of Rubi-Ka? Would you support a democracy if 51% of the people supported Omni-Tek?

Originally posted by Autumnleaves
    ? Would you support a democracy if 51% of the people supported Omni-Tek?
    Absofreakinglutely.

If a majority of the people want OmniTek, I'd accept that. Its how democracy works.

And I will say that although the clans are not completely united, when it comes to military operations, we are far more united than Omnitek as of late.
    Bliqz: "anything Uwen says is a vicious and ugly lie"

So what if the Atrox, Opifex, and Nanomages voted to kill and eat all the Solitus? They have the majority here, would you support that?

A system of government based on the weak and selfish natures of individuals will magnify those qualities in its policies. A democracy on this planet would lead to even worse exploitation of the world in order to give everyone a "fair share." Elections would be won by whoever promised a Leet in every pot and a Yalm in every apartment. The leaders who get ousted every election when they failed to deliver their economic miracles. And that's if we're talking about an idealistic republic. A true democracy would be no more than a popularity content with the losers getting a one-way ticket off-world.

I'm not going to work some mine for Omni-Tek, and I'm not about to work a mine for the Will of the People. I work for one person: me.

((I'm trying to develop a personality here. Since my experience here on Rubi-Ka has been, in a word, abrassive, this is how I think I'd react.))

Democracy may very well be the route taken by Rubi-Kans after the Omni-Tek lease on the planet expires, as, quite frankly, the corporation has no vested interest in what happens to this rock after we can no longer turn a profit from it. Until that time, however, we have a legal right granted to us by the ICC to manage this planet as a corporation and we will defend our legal right to ownership to the death against those that would seek to take it from us. The irony of the clans fighting over something that was only made possible by the incredible amount of time, credits, and lives sunk into Rubi-Ka by the Omni-Tek corporation never ceases to give me pause.

-Shuldrich

Originally posted by Uwen
    OmniTek can be a dictatorship in business all it wants. Just not as government. As long as it has a police force, an army, and an governmental department (Admin) it is a government in addition to a company.
    Since the days when humanity was one breed on one planet, large corporations have had Administrative and Security offices. OTRK is different only in scope. The sheer size of a planet wide business operation requires that there be many departments and jobs not directly involved with the mining of Notum. There must be food, clothing, housing, waste disposal, mass transportation, traffic control...and a host of other duties associated with the well bieng of millions of people. The benefit of all these ocupations coming under the umbrella of ORTK is that huge savings can be made by the mass production of items and centralization of human resources. Evidence of this can be seen in the passing on of savings to every level of employee from the top to the bottom of the organization in the terms of pricing at the merchant terminals.
    God is a bullet.

((The IC only RP forum is back. Bliqz is an Omni Extremist, and his posts IN THAT FORUM reflect that attitude. I can be reached by PM if you feel I have personaly offended you, and I will be happy to change/temper my post. Thank you, and have fun!))

Originally posted by Uwen
    I could explain, yet again, my "vision" which would make everyone happy, boost profits, give democracy, whole kit 'n kaboodle.
    Democracy is flawed when applied to a planet wide scope...If "Uwenism" is like democracy, im sure that proffits will increase as the special intrests that bought the election will force legislation that would benefit them.

As for giving everyone everything...Well you are begining to sound like a politician...A profession historicly associated with lies, corruption, crooked deals, broken promises, and generaly unwholsome swindlers.
    God is a bullet.

Freedom....

Ok.... *deep breath*

When the Borpac people speak of freedom in there battle cry they shout out "Till All Are Free"... I asked, free from what. Being that I'm a clanner, I feel I am free. I escaped the cruel bonds of the man that created me.... I joined a fine family.... I roam the streets of the town I call home openly... I can buy and sell as I please, and I've decorated my apartment quite nicely....

Yes, the ever oppressive shadow of OT looms over all of us. Many of our friends and family still slave away for the company, and they are the ones that need to be set free.

*sigh* ramble over... Buggy out.... *comlink, mute all chans*
    -

The storms show her pain... electric coated tears that reflect her sorrow... lava boils from the heat of her

rage... we are one and the same.... She is my Rubi-Ka and I am her nanomage ....

As to the Notum depletion issue, Look to the clans.

Notum will still be present on the planet long after OTRK finds it profitable to continue to look fir it. When the cost of finding, removing, and processing the Notum becomes more than the actual mineral is worth, OTRK will most likely have already lost its lease on the planet.

People seem to forget that this is a business venture. When there is no profit to be made, the busines will move on.

The very fact that Notum is a solid in its natural state means that there will be deposits of it that are too small to mine proffitably. Unlike liquids which can be displaced by preasure, or gas that can be collected directly from the atmospehre, solids have to be gotten to and physicaly moved from their location. OTRK wont spent billions of credits on a cubic meter of Notum...its foolish to assume that OTRK will suck the planet completely dry it will be the clans that do the most damage.

When OTRK moves off planet all remaining notum will be in the control of the clans and whatever remaining neutral individuals who decide to stay. As the Notum is depleted more and more, the measures taken to acquire this remaining reserves will become more and more drastic, and detrimental to the planet.

Again, Look to the clans. They are the ones who will **** Rubi-Ka and leave it the baren lifeless rock it was before OTRK made it into the hme you have now.
    God is a bullet.

Re: Freedom....

Originally posted by BugLight

When the Borpac people speak of freedom in there battle cry they shout out "Till All Are Free"...
    *Clarification*

TILL ALL ARE FREE! is a Nanomage Liberation Front battle cry. Not a BORPAC battle cry.

*End Clarification*

We are not free. Not now. We will not be free until Omni-Teks lease expires. Thats if you wanna get technical.

Quit living in a dream world. Why don't you jump on a shuttle and go explore the moons you're so interested in..

Oh, I forgot. You can't can you? You're NOT FREE to leave this planet are you?

The hatred, the carnage, oh my..I love when tempers flare. The dark side of human existence at it's brightest. I never thought that I would say that omnis here actually make a good point about democracy. It is never for the people, nor will it ever be, you can't please everyone, you have to step on someone's toes to get something done..and even go a step further in some cases. The only difference between tyrannical rule and democratic rule is in a democracy, you have more than 1 person who craves power and wants to be a leader. There has been many a night when, while sitting on that soft knoll above west athens, Vixen shared her intimate thoughts about the fame she wanted to see brought to WE, how her one biggest desire was to see the wE name in all the grid feeds...of course she doesn't tell the general public that...almost sorry that I dated her, bleh..
    "Did I tell you that you could speak?....then why are you still talking?."

Exclamation democracy

majority rules is only *one* form of democracy, and I believe a highly problematic form, as Autumnleaves and Bliqa's posts show.

Proportional representation based on the idea that classes/groups of people will be more effected & affected by a decision gets more influence in the outcome of that decision. This is established and developed theory in Old Modern Earth.

Ofcourse, we have none of that on Rubki-Ka at the moment. Its is anarchy.

In the way of democracy on RK is the galactic demand of notum without any thought of consumption or conservation.

but this idea is better developed in its own thread, which I will soon start.
    Last edited by Vashtiklorna; Apr 1st, 2003 at 22:01:38.
    Vashti Vashtiklorna Toussand,
    Nanomage Liberation Front.
    "Until all are free!"

Down with the NLF
    i openly opose your cause beacase you have no rational evidence, or even any imperical evidence. ive been to your website and ive known a poor young nano engineer swept away by the mad howlings of your pseudocult bah i wouldent even call it a cult. i have never seen any sign of raceism of any kind infact those nano girls have a exotic mystique which drives the guys crazy .
    not that i support omni tech but if you think you can make terrorist "revolutionary" attacks on mining facilities based on evidence which dosent make any sence and was proberbly made up.
    do you see what im getting at. your just not justifide in your insane nano jihad. notum is the basis of our technology its and we cant just stop mining it beacause some crack pot fluze declares the planet running out of natural reasources. if i were you guys i would of patitioned or at least politiely asked for omni tech to look into the sustainabillity of notum and the effects on the nano mage population.
    the bottom line is your actions are totaly unprofessional

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12