Thread: Them, Borg

Them, Borg

(( I am posting this stroy on behalf of Lucrecia. Enjoy ))

Lucrecia awoke abruptly; rising too quickly she was dazed with sudden head rush. Coming to her senses she recognised the irritating noise that was her works comm link bleeping away.'Aw, cmon, its my day off!' she cursed, jumping out of her bed too quickly, only to land on her face. Rising once more, she ran to switch her comms controls and turned on to receive the message.

'Yes, Luc here.' Her employer, Dabblez appeared on screen. 'Ah Lucrecia.. Sorry, I hope I’m not interrupting you am I?'

'No no, not at all, what’s up Dabz?' Luc replied, rubbing her sore cheek.
    'Something you should have a look at, turn on the news, Luc. Look for Tir local area reports'

'Tir? um...ok'

Luc turned to the west wall and called for the holo screen to show. 'News channel. Tir. Local.' She said, and quickly a list of all the local Tir news reports flashed up on screen, most recent being a report about a massacre. The rest other small petty crime reports. 'What am i looking for, Dabz, the massacre?'

'Yes' Dabz replied. 'Sadly it involves us.'

Confused, Lucrecia did so, selecting the massacre report, it flashed up on screen.
    The news was disturbing. As Lucrecia looked on, she watched horrific pictures of a slaughtered family, their home destroyed by what had been a devastating and motiveless attack.

The camera panned over various areas as the newsreader spoke...robots lay nearby..2 of them, cyborgs... The camera zoomed in on one of them, panning over the fallen metal corpse.

Lucrecia gasped 'Pause!' she shouted. The image now still, she looked closer, the borg bore a symbol on its mangled right arm. The symbol clearly recognisable to Lucrecia *R.U.R*

Luc choked at the sight. 'Dabz, what the..?'

'I don’t know' Dabz replied. 'Your guess is as good as mine.'

'Were not being held responsible for this, are we?'

'No, not yet anyway.' Dabz replied, with a low sigh of relief.

'So, what’s the deal with us?, Any idea how our parts ended up on those borgs?'

'Again, I don’t know' Dabz replied, 'Our robots have been sold to many from Neutral territory, we’ve had no reports of any going missing or malfunctioning, Yet our parts have shown up in this attack, something is very wrong. On a plus side, the authorities have passed it for another rare borg attack.'

'That’s a relief...should we report it ourselves?' asked Lucrecia.

'No, lets leave it for now, I want to find out for myself, while were under no su****ion at this time.'

'Have you told the others?' Luc asked.

'I’ve tried to get contact, so far only luck with yourself and Crattyjack. I’ve asked him to look through our sales record to neutral areas.' Dabz paused...'Luc, i have a favour to ask.'

Lucrecia cut her off. 'You want me to work today?'

'Well yes...kinda.' Dabz replied. 'Not so much work, Luc, I’m going to Tir county to find out how our robot parts came to be on those borgs, I'd like it if you would join me. You will be paid of course.'

Lucrecia thought for a second then answered 'Sure, when do you plan to go?'

'As soon as you can be ready.'

'Oh...' Luc replied right, um... give me an hour.'

'Great, meet me in Entertainment distinct beside the whompa transports, see you in an hour.' The link was closed. Lucrecia looked at the blank holo projection lost in thought, then turned and made her way to the dresser.

Dabblez looked up at the huge clock on the northern building beside the Whompa
    transports. 'Where is she?' she thought. At that moment a woman in a dark cloak
    Approached her from Dabz's right. Lucrecia let down her hood.

'Sorry im late, I thought it best to pack a few extras before I left.'

'Same.' Dabz replied. 'We'll take the transport to Newland city, I have a friend there who can get us to the Tir outskirts safely. We can start our search from there.
    'Ok , shall we get going then?' replied Lucrecia.

'Yes, lets go.'

Moments later, after jumping through various transports, Luc and Dabz found themselves looking upon the bustling crowds of Newland city. A city torn and run down, free from any major technology. The smell of cooked Bronto meat was in the air. It made Luc feel hungry. 'Better not' she thought 'I’ve just had breakfast.'
    Newland was different from before...there were no clans around. This put Lucrecia's mind at ease, though the hired thugs brought in by Omni-Tek to protect the neutral people didn’t look too friendly either.

'My friend lives on the west side of Newland, he can provide us a transport.' said Dabz.

'Great, lead the way.' Luc smiled.

An hour later, Luc and Dabz had attained their transport and were just clearing the Varmint Woods approaching the Greater Tir County. 'If I’m right, the farm area is a couple of miles down this road.' said Dabz. 'There are a few surrounding farms nearby, I want to ask around.'

'Ok' Luc replied, looking at the area scanner onboard the transport car. 'There’s one a mile due north east from her, Dabz, want to check that one out?'

'Yes, lets go.'

Dabblez steered toward the location, pulling up outside the farmhouses moments later. A man appeared at the house door, gun in hand.

'What do you want?' the man asked.

'No need for the gun, were only looking for a directions and to ask a few questions if you have the time sir?' replied Dabz.

'Well that depends on who you are and where you going.' The man looked over at Dabz's Robot. 'What with the robot?' he asked.

'Personal protocol' Dabz replied quickly. 'And for protection.' she added.

'You'll need it round here, there has been attacks on people in this area you know..by robots like them.' The man pointed to Dabz's robot once more.

'I assure you sir, there are many like this one, this not being the guilty party.' Dabz replied.

'However, that is why we're here. Can you tell us anything about the attack?'

'Attacks!' the man cut in. 'There have been many...attacks.'
    Luc and Dabz were silent.

'I don’t know anything about them. They're Borgs, they just attack unprovoked.' he said.

'Do you know where we can find them?' asked Luc. 'Or know anyone who knows where we can find them?'

The man looked at Luc in surprise....then he laughed out loud. 'What!, your planning to go after them? Oh that’s the best I’ve heard in a long time.' The man continued laughing. 'I don’t know where they are. No one does. They come from eastern Tir, but none knows exactly where. Now if you'd excuse me, I have work to do, be on your way! Idiots' the man had mumbled under his breath and walked into his house still laughing.

Luc turned to Dabz and shrugged her shoulders. 'C'mon lets get moving.'
    They jumped back into their vehicle and headed off east.

The journey east was silent, half an hour more they had travelled, not a word had been spoken. Dabblez rubbed her eyes, the southern sun was beating down on them both making them both feel as thirsty as they had ever been. Already both had consumed most of there water supply, and both had thoughts of just giving up going through their minds. Still they went on. 'This heat is unbearable' Lucrecia complained. 'Your friend could at least given us a vehicle with air conditioning.' Dabblez was in no mood for laughing, she too was desperate for cooling off. Luc scanned the horizon. 'Dabz, slow down...whets that?' Luc pointed out a small pole sticking out of the ground to her left 50 yards away. A skull with feathers was on top of the pole. 'Dabz..thats a rhinoman territory marker...'

'Yes.. I think we should pay them a visit, if anyone knows this area it will be them.' said Dabz.

'Sure about that?' replied Luc.

'Yes, they’re generally friendly, and my robot can translate for us, we should be ok. Just be on your guard, you have got insurance, yes?'

'Yea I’m ok.' Luc replied. The thought making her uneasy, how she hated resurrection sickness. Dabblez turned the vehicle and headed in towards rhinoman territory. The village appeared just ahead of them. As they entered, various rhinomen appeared from their homes. Luc and Dabz slowly got out of the vehicle. Dabz gave a small wave of her hand to gesture peace. The rhino men were now gathered around them, all speaking in their own tongue. Dabz pressed her robot activation button on her hand controls. Her robot sprang into life, unfolding itself in the back of the vehicle. It climbed out and stood next to Dabz. The rhinomen looked it up and down, and stood firm as if ready to attack. Dabz switched the robot to translation mode and began to speak. 'Do not be alarmed.' she said. Her robot then spoke up in the rhinomen's language, all sounds that were not pronounceable by humankind.

One of the rhinomen stepped forward and spoke. The robot replied the translation to Dabblez.'As a peaceful kind, we welcome you, what is it that you seek outsider?'

Dabs replied 'We seek your knowledge of this area, there has been a disturbance in the surrounding areas created by cyborgs, we wish to seek them out. Any help in finding them would be greatly appreciated.'

The robot responded, translating once more to the rhinomen tribe. The rhinoman who had stepped forward replied and gave what looked like a smile to Dabz and Luc.
    'You had better come with us.' the robot said. The rhino man gestured for Dabz and Luc to follow them. They did so without hesitation.

For hours Dabz and Luc sat with few of the Rhinomen who were leaders among the tribe. They spoke of many things involving the cyborgs and of the rhinomen themselves, things from long ago, things from present. Dabz and Luc were astounded by how much the rhinomen knew. They were not a primitive race, only seemed to live that way. Cyborgs were old news to them. Cyborgs never bothered or came near rhinomen, they knew better. Rhinomen knew lots about cyborgs though, for years scouts kept close eye on the rhnosmen's surrounding going unnoticed by the outside world. Night crawled over the sky, the heat of the air turned cold. Luc shivered and pulled her cloak over her. The rhinoman chief had offered them shelter for the night, at first Dabz and Luc had refused, but now it seemed like a good idea. Gladly they accepted, and stayed the night.

Lucrecia woke first. She checked her watch and gasped at the time..then remembered that she was on the other side of the planet. She laughed to herself. It was still dark outside however the second of Rubi-Ka's suns would be rising shortly she guessed. She was right, within the hour it was daylight, and Dabz was also awake. 'I think its time we got going' Dabz said.'Yea, we need to thank the chief for his help, I don’t think this could have gone any better.' Dabz smiled.

The two made there way out of the small tent, to collect their things. There were rhino men walking around the village going about there chores. 'Who do we speak to? They all look the same.' asked Luc. The question became answered shortly when one of the rhinomen approached them.

Dabz activated her robot, 'Good morning' she said. The robot translated, then returned with the reply.

'We understand you will be leaving us soon, we have prepared some provisions for your journey.' The rhinoman bowed his head.

Dabz and Luc said their goodbyes and gave thanks for the warm stay. Getting back into the vehicle, fully refreshed and fed they set off once more in the direction the rhinomen had given.

They had now reached the far reaches of eastern Tir county and had entered a forested area beside a mountain hillside. 'The camp should be just up ahead.' said Luc. Dabz slowed the vehicle down. 'There should be a canyon around here somewhere.'

'You mean like that?' Dabz replied, pointing to her right.'

'Ah yea... .like that.' Luc blushed at her failure to notice the obvious. Dabz stopped the vehicle. Both got out the vehicle, Dabz activated her robot, it unfolded and came by by her. 'Guard mode.' Dabz commanded. The robots stance changed, ready to attack any threat that neared. 'We need to get closer.' explained Dabz. 'Come.' She moved towards the edge of the ridge, Luc followed, the robot close behind scanning the surrounding area.

'Get down.' Dabz said sharply, she fell to the ground, her eyes wide with fright. Luc didn’t hesitate, she dropped so fast it hurt when she hit the ground, 'Damn, the robot!' she cursed. Dabz gave a command for the robot to lie down but it was too slow. The robot began to lower its body to the ground, but the impact of the shot fired had smashed into the robots face taking it clean off. The remaining carcass fell limp to the ground.

*S**t!' Luc and Dabz swore at the site and both scrambled for cover. More shots came, barely missing them. They ran for the vehicle as fast as they could. As they reached their vehicle a bullet smashed into the front, causing smoke to start hissing from the bonnet. Luc and Dabz looked at each other. 'Oh great that’s all we need!' Luc shouted.

Both drew their pistols and ran behind the cover of trees. Dabz fired a few shots at the two cyborgs now approaching. Lucrecia lay low beside the opposite tree and closed her eyes. Her body began to tremble and she let out a scream, from her body rose a manifestation which scared Dabz. Dabz had heard of Lucrecia's ability to produce such beings of hatred, but never seen this happen. Like a ghost the manifestation rushed at the approaching cyborgs with the scream of a banshee. It passed through one of the cyborgs ripping its torso from its legs within seconds. The second cyborg turned to attack the floating monster which Luc had created. Dabblez fired her pistol. Ten shots ripped the cyborgs back open. It fell giving a hiss of death. The look of hatred on Lucrecias face eased, the manifestation withered.... All became silent. Dabz helped Luc to her feet.

'Are you ok?' she asked?

'Yea, just give me a minute.' Luc replied.

'What the hell was that?'

'Id rather not talk about that, I don’t like doing it, only when I need to.'

Dabz turned to look at the vehicle. She walked over and lifted the bonnet and smiled.
    'Can you fix it?' Luc asked.

Dabz laughed. 'Of course, I’m and engineer, this is like lego to me. Its not badly damaged, we'll be out of here in five minutes.' Luc gave a sigh of relief.

Minutes later Dabz had the engine going. 'There, sorted. Now let’s get my what’s left of my robot and get out of here, I think we should get help if we are to take these guys on again.

Lucrecia nodded. 'Lets just go home, I’ve had enough for one day.'With that, Dabz agreed fully.

In the weeks that followed, RUR were to mount a series of expeditions deep into cyborg territory in search of answers. What was the connection between these borg attacks and RUR's bots? But that is a tale for another day.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

We went to the cyborg area to collect some samples of cyborgs last week. DrLina has examined the samples troughly and she found out that same kind of tissue, that can be found from the Lush Fields area mutants, was used to build these cyborgs. We will make our next expedition in Lush area on Tuesday and try to collect some more samples. Maybe that will help us to find out who is using R.U.R bot parts to build these criminal borgs.

Limona

borg = omni creation. die!
    Freshman Che "Elnertz" Guevara.
    Atrox Soldier - 203th lvl.

Noone in this game has more bad luck than me.

Our trip to NW mines in Lush Fields was not too succesful. Me, Dabblez and Prudencia went there and attacked one lonely mutant in order to take some samples of it. The mutant was surprisingly strong and it killed Prudencia, I'm happy she had a good insurace.

We decided to go to the SW mines because the mutants around there are a bit weaker. Dr Lina had told us to go to NW camp, but who would notice the difference.. We killed some mutants there and took samples of them (uh, ripping off those mutant body parts was terrible :( ). I brought the samples to Dr Lina and we went to have few drinks at Rompas.

Dr Lina examined our samples but she was not happy with them; she told me that we should had just stayed in NW camp - she needs samples of those mutants, not the ones in SW camp.. uh. She explained me that she has a theory that the mutant DNA is used to reduce cyborg implant rejection rates and she hopes that she can proove that.

I guess we have to make another raid to Lush NW Mines and we will do that tonight 17:00 GMT ((that is 18:00 UK time I think, press F9 for gmt)). If we could get some people to help us, that would be great. If somebody wants to volunteer to help us, please send me a message :)

Limona

((OOC: the good levels for hunting in this area are around 40-60, but this will be mainly RPing and secondly hunting, so that is quite flexible:)

Originally posted by Elnertz
    borg = omni creation. die!
    Auctually, the cyborgs were origionaly created by the clanners. And like the Omni experiments before them the clan responsible lost containment and they escaped, the rest is history.

Note that almost all major cyborg concentrations have been in the northern terratories with clan influence.
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

Summary: After a series of cyborg raids on farms in Newland and Varmint Woods, RUR are alerted to the fact that among the remains of the dead borg are predominantly RUR robotic components. RUR decide to investigate this further while at the same time trying to keep quite on this potentially embarrassing situation.

Based on a tip from Prezidential of Red Tape, RUR learns of the existence of a large cyborg base close to where they'd tracked a previous borg party. Lucrecia, Limona Gunndragon, Dabblez and Prezidential head out to investigate. The base is heavily guarded but with Prezidential's help, their entry goes mostly unchallenged.
    Inside Dabblez works hard to break into the cyborg's computer systems. Initially she is successful. She finds detailed information on RUR, its personnel and designs, though fortunately nothing to indicate they have cracked the secret of QPT. She also manages to data on the cyborg research on mutant DNA, and how it could reduce implant rejection rates. She saves this for Dr Lina to study.

As Dabz digs deeper, the borg computer security protocols shut her out. The party go further into the cyborg base looking for another, less guarded access point to the computer, but it all goes out of control as cyborg attack the intruders. Gunndragon, engages the borgs in order to save the rest of the party's life and is shot dead. The rush for the exit and embark on the long, grim journey back home.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Exclamation earn 50k credits for participating scientific experiments!

*Dr Lina posts a small add in Rubi-ka News*

A humanoid guinea pig is needed for scientific experiments (homo-solitus, homo-nano, opifex or athrox will do). The tests will be extremely safe and carried out under professional supervision. Please contact Dr Lina for more information.

DrLina
    Researcher, Implant Expert, Veterinary
    Rubi-ka Universal Robots

I took some pictures of your last nights expedition to the Cyborg barracs. You can find them here: http://koivis.to/~lina/ao/0304/

Limona
    Robot Psychologist
    R.U.R