Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OOC: What makes a guild great?

I guess you didn't appear drunk, high or slutty enough.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Maybe I need to start a new thread because what I am really interested is in Recruiting enough quality people within a reasonable amount of time. Im sure new people will leave the org once they realize noone is in it for a while.
    Last edited by Synthx J00r; Apr 8th, 2003 at 18:48:45.

Recruiting

That's a tricky question. Each guild has their own techniques, and some of the strategies are not things that a guild would share willingly, for fear that they would be used by another org to get the same folks that you're trying to target yourself. Members are the most important thing to any guild; not necessarily quantity (although that helps), but quality.

That said, the best way imho to get members is through lowish level teams. Most people start getting interested in guilds around level 25-30, and it's rare to see an 80th level player or higher that is not guilded.

The worst way to do it is to org spam people. In other words, just walking around doing /org invite to random un-tagged folks.

It's also true that beyond a certain number of members, recruiting becomes easier. I couldn't say what the exact number is, but it tends to snowball after a certain point. People stick around because there's something to do and people to team with, and that takes a certain number of folks to accomplish.
    BigGreen
    Advisor of Rising Phoenix
    www.risingphoenix.org

current setup

One thought:

Choose wisely who you recruit: the members define your guild.

Something to offer your members is a plus. Be it RPing, getting items for them, teamwork, activity, whatever. You have to decide what it is you can offer those that join you. It helps if you recruit levels lower than you and start it with players your level or higher. That way you can help your new members accomplish something with the help of the org. Organization is a must for a leader too. It takes a lot of time and patience but any good member that joins you can tell if your org has any organization or not and (at least for me a few times) has caused me to leave new orgs I have joined in the past.

I would say that Omni-Pol is rather successful... mostly due to the members and their ability to play their officer roles well. On the other hand.. my big ego (?) might have been helpful too to overcome the darker times when everyone and their granny cursed us (not that this is over.. but at least it is less often nowadays). A successful guild needs a leader who has a lot of spare time. That is quite hard to manage, especially when you are a student, like me. Something I will remember in the future is, that a guild with too many leaders (in sub-structures) will not work. I tried making Omni-Pol with that and it never worked out so far. I am thankful that I have people like Gencop, Likaetaren, Tikon, Wisewise etc. etc. in Omni-Pol who keep the guild running by dedicating a lot of time to their duties. Having duties in a guild is good and a guild like OP has a somewhat strict layout, rules and things to do, because it has its bigger counterpart, made up of NPCs. People might say that due to this, OP does not qualify as a real organization.. but for many, Omni-Pol, the guild, is a more real Omni-Pol than the NPC-Funcom one.
    Director "Meister"
    President, Omni-Pol
    Level 207 Omni-Tek Dictator
    Meister's Reinforced Suit - Bureaucrats may be gimps, but at least we know how to look good.
    Account Created: 2001-06-27 23:07:32

OOC:
    I'm going to agree with Nevver 100%. It's all about the people. You can be organized, have raids, have many members, have social events...etc etc etc.

But it's the people, it's all about the people in it. In that you can't hit the nail on the head as you form your guild. Trial and error really.

I honestly believe i've found the best collection of people on AO in omni-pol, as i'm sure Nevver thinks of DA, and others would say about the guild they are in. Otherwise, you're in it for the loot and eventually you'll get bored.
    Alex Neboja Graveheart

Assault Corps, cpl of Omni-Pol

------------------------------------------------

Angelus IceKing Anasazi

"I'm an Enforcer, my motto is simple. Hit, stick, bust d***...and talk ****, and what? Talk ****, and what? Talk ****!"

A guild that´s great is a guild lead by a guy called Methlon and hates Omni-Pol ... no but serious if you wanna know how to make a guild that´s fun to be a member of lvl 1-200 you should investigate in the history of old sinister anarchists. Boy that was lots of fun and action... R.I.P Methlon
    Healflamer 220 doc proud ex member of Tranquility
    Rapidbrawl 220 ma proud ex member of Tranquility
    Rapidbraw1 220 ma proud member of Punk

apply again, then. it shows dedication (and also acts as a gentle reminder to people who might have overlooked your application)
    jeepers

*former soldier, now adventurer
    *were-leet and defender of leet-kind
    *proud member of devils advocates

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lexusstreak
    or you are in a guild that loots and despises rp in any form *cough* storm *cough*

Erm that just not true sorry

Fatmouse. He does not make guilds, he makes them better.
    Vice President Cristin "Jypsie" Kaba
    Division 9 : Rational Science and Genotype Enforcement
    R.S.G.E Division 9

Webster is your friend.

You who consider yourselves actors and performers,
    if you play a compelling tune the people will dance.
    - Leetraider

Well, I just recently got my first taste of what its like to lead people. And high level politics dealing with uber loot people is a lot different, and very difficult, as it compares to RP'ers.

Then running a large group of RP'ers takes great organizational skill as well. So I must say that in any form leadership is something to be respected, and not to be taken lightly.

A dear friend of mine told me something. And this is what I feel when I serve as a leader.

The purpose of a leader is to serve the people under him. He is not there to have people wait on his hand and foot. As a leader you must give yourself, and do things for others.

Its a very tough job.

/salute

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fatcrusher
    Originally posted by Lexusstreak
    or you are in a guild that loots and despises rp in any form *cough* storm *cough*

Erm that just not true sorry
    Yes it is not true, I have RP'ed with a couple Stormers.

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12