Thread: The 'T' information on your enemy

The 'T' information on your enemy

Why does AO give a profession of someone of the opposite side?

For example, any clanner can 'T' me and get all my information. Most of that information doesn't really bother me, but I think, to the 'enemy' that a characters level and definitely a characters profession should not be viewable. Allowing the enemy to see my profession is unrealistic and a burden to me and my group. For instance, I am a doctor, and in the future, when team PvP begins, if you don't remove the profession from 'T', the doctor will always go down first because all the other team has to do is 'T' me to see who I am. This goes for any profession, as well. I'm just speaking in terms of my doc, since that is what I play. Where is the role-playing aspect in this?

What the enemy should have to do is 'guess' that I am the doc by my actions. This would allow characters to get creative. FOr example, I could put on some omni-pol armor or something along those lines, and a low lvl mausser. Try to disguise myself as a soldier. The only way the other team would know otherwise is by watching my actions. Seeing that I am constantly casting, and that when I do, the healing spells go off. This would make the team PvP aspect so much more interesting. It would actually require a strategy on the parts of the teams, rather than just, "Target the doc first!" Now they are like, "Who the hell is the doc?!"

What do you all think?

Telorn
    101 Doc RK-1

i agree totally with this

I have to second this post! The information given to the opposing side be limited. In fact you could add an entire line of nanos to handle getting such information. Have a Fixer have a nano that hacks into the opposing sides database to download confidential personel information about that player.

However hitting T should give player name and guild affilation. Level and profession should be excluded.

Yup, give fixers a nano to let you see more of a players info.

It is not usualy that had to spot the doc though, he's the one not fighting and casting the red nanos
    Fausto Biggfoo Clyburn

Are you some kind of robot? And if so what kind of powers do you have? Do you use them for Good? or for Awesome?

Good idea

Papers, that is an excellent idea to let fixers have a nano line that could give profession and lvl information. Obviously the lvl of the nano, lvl of the target, and their nano resist skill should all be factors on if it would succeed or not.

Could also have items that would do the same effect, like the information tool. You would be required to have perception skill, and you'd have to beat the targets concealment check in order to get their information.

The advantage of the nano line is you wouldn't have to put any skill in to perception.

Biggfoo,

True, it isn't hard to spot a doc. But in the thick of battle, while groups are all around you firing from all ends, it would be kinda difficult to spot the doc. Especially if you are aggressive in your attack and are automatically spun around to your fighting target The doc suiting up to look like another class would make it all the more difficult. Heck, I'd even be firing that mausser and healing only when required I'll even do my little bursts and full autos, ehhe. Obviously you can still figure out who I am. But that is the point. You actually have to do some observation to find a certain profession.

DOh

Why do you think the doctors helmet is so much taller than the rest of the players? Duh, so we can pick you out in the crowd and kill you first. =]

Re: DOh

Originally posted by ULTRA1
    Why do you think the doctors helmet is so much taller than the rest of the players? Duh, so we can pick you out in the crowd and kill you first. =]
    You aren't entirely listening. That is why we would 'disguise' ourselves in a full set of weak omni-pol armor. I at lvl 101 could probably fit at least ql 90 omni-pol armor with str and sta implants and the str and sta buffs. Heck, at ql 125 implants, which I can use, I'd gain 72 str and sta. That is a total of 124 buff on both str and sta (God, no wonder fighters can fit armor so damn high). I could fit some pretty decent fighter armor in me even if I don't put IP in the skill. It just causes more creativity (a role-playing aspect) I think.

But this subject isn't even the point of the thread, it was just an example.

How can automatically knowing your enemey's profession and level be considered role-playing? I believe I recall funcom advertising itself as a role-playing game. Am I mistaken?

I completely and whole-heartedly agree with you. The POD indicator should be enough if you're going PvP. If it's red, you're probably gonna die. Good idea

Well my question is...

Why hasn't anyone thought of this before? Its brilliant.

Enemy information

I would have to disagree with the fixer idea, and the perception/concealment check.
    I'd even go for not showing the enemies NAME if that was possible. And not guild affiliation either.
    Feel free to knock me on the head, but I think this would add more to roleplaying.
    Mysterious attacks by a clan/omni guild.

This is only an idea, and very likely not possible to implement with the current system. But its still how I'd like it...

This is currently the system of DAoC. Sorry for that one. You are to my knowledge not able to talk to the opposition, see their names, or anything. NO socializing...

No Socializing? Thats gotta blow.

I can agree with the name thing, it eliminates griefers and unwanted harassment. But not being able to talk to them? Jeez.

Sohjiro

Yes, I agree with the socializing part. You should be able to talk
    with the enemy. I was merely refering to the system in DAoC.

If you should REALLY roleplay, you wouldn't even be able to see
    the names of your allies either, until you had some sort of
    "Hi, I'm Vilbo!" message. But something tells me that is pushing
    it TOO far... he he.

Vilbo

Telorn that's a good idea.

Not sure Funcom will read this though, given it's the pvp part of the forum. Right now they are looking at what people think of the next patch.

Name.. and pod is what you should see.

And if you have l33t perception.. etc.. youc an see more info on the player.

Just make it so that in mayhem/political zones that some information usually seen in 'T' is not there. Problem solved.
    Kizzim - Agent RK2
    Omni Quick Response Force

"Some people call me a Troll, I see myself as Denial of Service to idiots."

"The object of War is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."

Brilliant, but...

I think this is a wonderful concept, that makes a lot of sense (even the Fixer stuff), and I don't even PvP. It does beg one question, though: what about me, I'm Neutral?

Two obvious solutions:

a) Let me see everybody's 'T' as a friendly, and let them see mine -- I have no personal problems with this

b) Let only other Neutrals see my life story (and vice-versa) -- a bit punitive and limiting, but certainly deserves fair consideration and discussion.

Sathar
    36 Nutered NT RK-1

you are sitting in mort OP, looking for recruits, just tabbing through people for your team, & checking profession for the most suitable person.
    these changes would mean for every person now instead of just hitting T i would have to study them & guess their profession? i wanted a soldier & i get a doc?? or i have to ask them first their profession & turn them down because they arent what i am looking for? that'd blow.
    PVP wise great yea, but if you are starting a team, i like to see who i am gonna recruit.

PVP wise great yea, but if you are starting a team, i like to see who i am gonna recruit.
    Ok - so make side-mates visable to each other - less of a roleplay but somewhat irrelevant when you're all on the same side and unable to fight except in 0% areas (never seen any..)
    OR - include the restrictions on available info only in 25% areas.

This is a fantastic idea - given that you cant see Mob info, and clanners are as much enemy to omnis (and vice versa) in Pvp areas, then why can we see more info?
    Please allow me to introduce you to the voices:

The voices, the voices! Stop the voices!

The voices are played by, in order of appearance:

Gragoneye - loveable, hugable, with a fondness for violence!
    Servivious - bitter, twisted and a little unhinged..
    Blindhealer - just a little bit out of her depth!

Proud to be First Order!!