Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We don't need a /list command: Privacy and Lag.

We don't need a /list command: Privacy and Lag.

I would like to hear one good reason why we need a /list command and how it would be of any real use. I have had this conversation with many people in game, and not one has been able to give me a good reason.

I have some good reasons why we should *not* have a /list command. The biggest being lag. Large numbers of players asking the server to send them a list of all clients in a zone *will* create more lag.

Another reason is it is an invasion of privacy. Especially if you are a well known Trader or MP. You're out there trying to do some missions or hunt with your team and you have people bugging you for buffs because they know you are in the same area as them.
    Last edited by Mindswayer; Feb 14th, 2002 at 21:08:08.

i think that a complete list of players in the area is stuipd aswell.... i dont want people to know that I am in the area... i would, however, extremely like to know the number of players in the zone im in. So insted of /list giving a list of players in the zone.... could it just give the # of players in the zone?

If sometime in the future they fix concealment, this would kinda negate it already (assuming the fix makes it work, not break it more)

/list is unrealistic (not to mention a dumb idea) and is going to kill high level traders/MPs/enforcers/etc -- people who get pestered for buffs nonstop.
    Katelin Arinia Rhees
    Level 220 Enforcer
    Former Enforcer Professional
    Former President of the late Midnight Reveries
    Account Created: 2001-10-08; Account Expired: 2005-02-19

Heh, after the game first shipped, many many many people were tearing into FC saying that NOT having /list was killing the game. Now they might add it and everyone wants them not to. :)

Originally posted by Kaerem
    /list is unrealistic (not to mention a dumb idea) and is going to kill high level traders/MPs/enforcers/etc -- people who get pestered for buffs nonstop.
    Then why not just add an option to hide your profession like Everquest does?

As for a reason to add it, to know how many people are in a zone, thus how camped it is/ how easy it will be to get a team/ or just to see who is there...

Who cares about realism. Is it realistic to hit someone with a hammer from 20 paces, is it realistic for a sniper rifle to have 40 meters (or even 100 meters) range? It's a GAME.

Well for some of us this game is... well... an RP game. I am not some l33t d00d who goes out twinks and griefs people... I am here for the RP. I dont want people to know if i am moving into a zone. I am a soldier and my cover is what keeps me alive on the field.

*/list ...........etc.......etc..... :Snarf Atrox NT
    [Team]Skymarshal: Crap
    [Guild]Skymarshal: Send backup.

Lame
    215 Solitus Soldier RK1
    Advisor Midnight Reveries.

Do politics exist? Yes.
    Who's involved in them? Anyone who wants to be.

If you spend your time worrying about what everyone else is doing in their lives, you'll miss what's happening in yours.

/list had better the hell not list opponents!

That would be totally stupid. Having a "remove any possible element of surprise" command would be ridiculous.

Snarf
    Snarf: Level 165 Atrox NT

"At one time you were maybe a little useful Snarf. Now you're just being annoying." -- Hawkman

"Well one guy said Atrox was the worst breed for the NT. The other guy said......'You tell that to Snarf....he'll kick your arse!' You are a NT Rockstar!" -- Hemicuda

"Snarf, Snerf, Nerf. It's YOU that brought nerf to NT's you you!" -- Rhayden

"Snarf cuts to the core of the problem like a chainsaw to a bunny rabbit." -- Deaddreamer

So /list should work only on people from your side, whose concealment is not above a certain level compared to your perception...

Which makes it...not very useful.

A /target command to target a named person within "tabbing distance" will be more useful.
    Seid. Clan Nano Technician, Atlantean
    Proud member of Opposing Force ( Website )
    Seid's Hideout : Home of the Friends List Tool
    I would like to see a mail system in AO, for letters, money and goods, and with mail order !

Originally posted by Snarf
    /list had better the hell not list opponents!

That would be totally stupid. Having a "remove any possible element of surprise" command would be ridiculous.

Snarf

Agree, and i even think listing players at ur own side is stupid, most ppl will then use a "spy" to find out what players that are in the zone. Why should we have the command? i can't see any reason why, if u wanna see if a friend is there give him a tell ++

Regards,

Fryli

/list sounds mostly bad

Number of players in zone is fine.

Number of enemy players in zone is stupid. Go find out for yourself how dangerous the zone is.

Specific names is unthinkable for obvious reasons. If you want to see if a friend is on, look at your buddy list or send him a /tell.

The spy loophole has been noted above. If you are clan and want to see if a specific enemy is in a zone, then just Beacon Warp an Omni-Spy in and do a /list.

'/list profession' serves no useful purpose other than to make the game less enjoyable for those who will be hounded for buffs. Do the legwork yourself and find a player and actually talk to them if you want a buff.

I can't see a single reason I would want or need any information that would come out of /list other than the number of players in a zone (to find out how laggy it might be.)

Every other use leads to grief or the reduction of PvP maneuvering tactics.

Better options:

- If you are a Tradesperson or Buff provider, then they should add bulletin boards where you can 'advertise' that you are in a particular zone (Tir or Trade, for example). Players can then go to the bulletin board and see who is in-town that has the skills they need. Those not interested in being pestered can opt not to put their 'open-for-business' sign up while in town.

- Implement the LFG features that DAoC has. They can start with doing it simply through the chat client. '/lfg on' will flag you as looking for a group. '/lfg enforcer 80-90' will return information on all enforcers lvls 80-90 looking for a group in your current zone. 'lfg any 80-90' will return information on all lvl 80-90 players looking for a group in your current zone. They could do the same with 'tlm' (team looking for member). '/tlm doctor 80-90' would then provide feedback to all doctors in that range when they turn their 'lfg' flag on that there are team that might want them.

- Make /list show the number of players in a zone or simply provide the '% full' information that is currently available via the XML page. Players will soon enough learn what percent full a zone can be before becoming unstable.

- Allow '/list friends' to show the location of players in your guild or allied guilds. Allow '/list' to show the location of players in your group. If you are in a guild and want to hide your location from other members then maybe you should rethink your membership.

Somebody needs to tell us what positive purpose /list would have.
    Last edited by Bionitrous; Feb 15th, 2002 at 13:28:59.

Yep, I can't think of a use for /list.

You really think anyone's going to scroll through a list of 150 names and spam everyone in their level and ask if they can join a group? Uhhhh.

Please THINK before you suggest features like this Funcom. Think first about the use cases, the user requirements, and then draft an implementation plan that solves the problem.

Do not just implement random ****e because you are bored -- there are too many USEFUL commands you could be creating ( /lfg, /coord x,y )

Snarf
    Snarf: Level 165 Atrox NT

"At one time you were maybe a little useful Snarf. Now you're just being annoying." -- Hawkman

"Well one guy said Atrox was the worst breed for the NT. The other guy said......'You tell that to Snarf....he'll kick your arse!' You are a NT Rockstar!" -- Hemicuda

"Snarf, Snerf, Nerf. It's YOU that brought nerf to NT's you you!" -- Rhayden

"Snarf cuts to the core of the problem like a chainsaw to a bunny rabbit." -- Deaddreamer

List = Dumb.
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

Just say "no" to /list. Terrible idea all around; cannot think of one reason to put it in.

Snarf mentioned /LFG hrmm. Despite some really ugly and tiresome things, DAoC did have a pretty nice system for flagging and finding individuals looking for a group and groups looking for more. The LFG shout channels really don't work well except in some specific (overpopulated) areas.

bump

I agree, having a /list is an open directory for anyone to abuse.

Bionitrous had some excellent options in his post about people being able to advertsie their service and location. This could lead to player ran shop if tradeskills ever took off!

Ander

I agree. /list would not be a very good idea.

It would screw up people who wish to remain concealed to a certain degree. Sure, you can know if they are online, but you should not be able to determine if they are in the same zone/area as you. That would be totally lame even if I could know that Snarf was coming.

There are more important things to work on like capture and keeping territory and guild housing secondly IMO.

Altaire

I totaly DISAGREE, we need a /list for daily hunting, you just should only be able to see people of your alignment

Vyse, please don't state your opinion without backing it up. It's poor forum etiquette.

I think everyone who had eggs for breakfast this morning needs to drive off a bridge on their way home from work this morning.

Now ... if you want to join the argument, then please present an argument. WHY do you need /list command for everyday hunting?

Thanks in advance for the insight.

Thumbs up

BUMP BUMP BUMP!
    I agree /list is a griefers dream, following you around and buggin you all day, spend your time on the stuff everyone is shouting for, new high lvlv content and class soloing balance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i never really found the EQ equivalent to /list to be all that useful in seeing who was in a zone except for when i needed
    :drumroll:
    to bother them for buffs.

It was almost always filtered to see who was lfg and that in itself was much more useful.

I would much rather see the /list command do the following

• /list lfg:on would set a LFG flag on you so your name, and your chat would show up LFG:<pvp title> Name... purple LFG: would be a clickable reference to your character so someone could just click and see you were a level X of profession Y
    • /list g:lf# Would be for groups : looking for #, any number between 1 and at least 12 should be possible as sometimes you want multiple groups for something.
    • /list doc:lfg 93-112 should show you doctors between 93 and 112 who had the LFG flag set on themselves
    • /list lfg:2 would show the groups that had set g:lf2 or more

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast