Thread: (OOC) Rp convention. IE: Didymus

Smile (OOC) Rp convention. IE: Didymus

Thanks for the gathering or Rp'ers in the last meeting at Reets!!
    I must say it was fun but I was bit disappointed (for Rp sakes that is)!! I felt it lacked structure (but it IS hard to get that many people in a corropative mood)! BUT, I had some things I wanted to say, but felt i could not say them for lack of they would be lost within the chat that was going on, I also knew a few others that had some things to say as well, but felt better of it at the time.
    With that said, Dydimus, I would like to take your idea (with you) one step further. I have people who would like to speak if people will listen. Furthermore, there are key elements that are missing and just gone from our RP community that need to be addressed!! These things should be reborn and dealt with!! I propose a commitee to talk first and then bring the ideas of the commitee to the RP community!! This way there is a clear and precise idea that can be set in motion. Didymus I ask that you or anyone else that is interested in this task to contact me in game to set the wheel in motion! there are many things that need to be addressed!! You can also contact me at rpconvention@hotmail.com. Thank you all and Godspeed
    Last edited by Boglwe; Mar 25th, 2003 at 19:09:26.

That's a good idea .. I'm in!

I'll contact you in-game .. right now.
    Didymus - Solitus Trader, Member of Instability

BTW< if i am not here to recieve your ingame tell, its best that you post here or, email me, so that I know who i need to talk too, thank you!!!

Ya that was a blast, but very true about disorganization - there were way too many people talking and emoting to keep up.

Awesome idea, Boglwe If people want to speak, they should submit in advance, particularly the topic that they want to speak about. There's no sense having dozens of people speaking about the exact same topic (unless they're presenting different sides of the same thing; i.e., no redundancy).

Also, if someone speaks, don't only point out a problem - offer solutions to that problem. Also, speakers should be prepared to take questions afterwards, but as constructively as possible.

Some things that I think need to be addressed:

(1) Enemies. OTSEC vs. the CoA was an awesome RP time (for those that RP in the main storyline). We need more of that kind of thing, dammit!

(2) In-fighting. Tarryk & Metalynx addressed it on the last episode of Talk Deviant, and they were bang on - there is WAY too much disharmony in OT. Granted, there will always be inter-departmental rivalries and "1-upmanship", but there is a TON of chaos among OTers. (much props to Kithrak for trying to remedy this recently).

(3) MASS RP stories. Having participated in an awesome one (run by the now-departed Tisantous) and having co-coordinated one, these are a BLAST. The problem Uwen, Viray, Raveleet and I had was controlling it once it got running . People who are interested in GMing/running these should be encouraged to do so.

(4) OOC Flames. The touchiest topic of all. Most of these are (whether rightly or wrongly) directed at OP, and I think everyone agrees these have to stop. People mess up; say things they shouldn't have; do things they shouldn't do. But, sometimes it's better to forgive and especially forget.

These are just my thoughts on what should be discussed/resolved. Anyone with any thoughts, go nuts
    Emiliy Age
    Unit Leader, Foreign Relations
    Speak your heart, don't bite your tongue...

Whisper's Edge | Gridmail | Engy's Workshop | Tir School of Engineering

Bliqz on Shadowlands: "Gonna make it hard to decide who I can and cant eat."

Emily,
    It would be my pleasure to have you on the comittee to translate and define these issues, So far, it would be Didymus, You and me at this point!!! thanks for the info

Talking Shameless Bump!

1). I am very interested in this.
    2). I wanna BIG RP stroy so I can participate in it mroe fully this time!!!
    3). Maybe we should first find out what kind of "stories" people are interested in participating in before we begin planning to get the maximum effect.
    4). We need more villainous characters and/or rivalries to power conflict and opposition.

just my two creds... I'll get off the soapbox now.

There is more to being evil than simply walking around saying "I'm evil."
    Charles 'Kithrak' Houston - Equipment
    Administrator, Omni-Admin
    Bringing the politics of Rubi-Ka to life!

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..." -Friedrich Nietzsche-

"By denying support to the possibility of peace, the Council of Truth is guranteeing an outcome of war."-Administrator Houston-

Originally posted by Boglwe
    Emily,
    It would be my pleasure to have you on the comittee to translate and define these issues
    Emailed you just now

Originally posted by Yum Yum Crow
    I'll get off the soapbox now.
    No! Bad! You stay up there with all the other people that are making contributions
    Emiliy Age
    Unit Leader, Foreign Relations
    Speak your heart, don't bite your tongue...

Whisper's Edge | Gridmail | Engy's Workshop | Tir School of Engineering

Bliqz on Shadowlands: "Gonna make it hard to decide who I can and cant eat."

I will attend your convention Boglwe.

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

I agree Bog, while the OOC gathering was a great place to get to know RP'rs in an OOC context we certainly need to have a bit more organization the next time something like that happens (if we want to get any work done that is ). I would be glad to chip in on any topic but I would most notably like to both see any ideas on possible massive RP storylines and possibly toss in a few ideas of my own. With "official" storyline concepts seemingly left alone 'till Shadowlands it's up to the RP community to keep itself alive by keeping things fresh and interesting. Contact me ingame or send me a PM with any possible dates/times/locations and I'll be glad to help out.

Trying to do anything in a scale so massive, public and with as many exclaimation marks as Boglwe post scares the life out of me. But, hey, if I can I'll help.

I think preselected topics should have time limits. Like 5 minutes exposition by a speaker to introduce the topic then a up to 25 minutes moderated round table discussion and off to the next topic. I reckon 4 topics for a possible maxium total of 2 hours is as much as a body can stand (add also an hour fluff as people come late and struggle to settle down).

I also do wonder is issue (2) in Emiliy's list is really a roleplaying issue or if at the very least it could be merged with issue (4) about flamming.

As for YumYum's point (3) 'what stories are people intersted in', well that 's easy, any story that's got robots in it. :-)
    Last edited by Savoy; Mar 26th, 2003 at 01:39:28.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

There is more to being evil than simply walking around saying "I'm evil."
    Cyani makes an Evil Face.. RAWR!!!!! I'm evil

What's more evil than a NT with no mouth running around screaming Rawr!!!!

Bump for Evil persons
    ~*~ Nanoprincess ~*~
    Katelin Cyani Kerans

Originally posted by Cyani
    [B]

[COLOR=silver]What's more evil than a NT with no mouth running around screaming Rawr!!!!

Not much....

And I agree with everything thats been said and am merely posting to boost my post count....

No, I'm kidding... really!

I do agree with everything thats been said, though there is something I want to say that what would be great is if we got another story running with more "GM"'s in on it. Its hard to run a story with too few/too many GMs. Ours had 3 people GMing it and that was difficult, don't know how Tis was able to do that entire story alone. It boggles the mind . I would love to GM another story and maybe 6 or so people in on the plan would be best. Not too big, but not too small and you have enough characters that the GMs can directly control that the story is more directed. Yes, its fun and it is meant to be influenced by the participants, but you don't want the GMs completely losing control of the story (a la Hawks and Doves ). Another thing is having GMs from both sides and getting entire orgs involved. If you've read about project revenant (Don't know if its still running, cheers if it is) something like that on a smaller scale (and not constant) would be cool.

But I'm babbling once again. I should learn to organise like other people.... oh well....
    Bliqz: "anything Uwen says is a vicious and ugly lie"

(( The RP thread is for RP discussion, so why not set up a thread for discussing the topics?

By limiting to IG meetings and even limiting speaking time, people still may not have the time to say whatever it is they wish to say. Plus, I'm sure everyone knows, no matter how much you try and restrict others from talking they will still want to make comments and ask questions while the main speaker is speaking. Also, those that can't attend weekly meetings can read and post on the topics seeing as the board are open almost always.

Emily and YumYum Crow have already brought up their issues, as I'm sure others can do the same. Someone can take the issues, post them in another thread and keep the initial post updated with both issues and suggestions by those offering constructive critism. This way flames can be ignored, while legitimate concerns and solutions are kept on the initial post. In other words, create a "Current Role Player Issues" thread much like Letah has done with the doctors issues. (http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=55249) ))

Cemetary, please dont forget about the huge population , more then us, of people who dont ever ever look at the forums!!! I would agree and it would be practical if most people read the forums even on a limited basis.
    Last edited by Boglwe; Mar 26th, 2003 at 04:07:12.

I was at the convention for about 10-15minutes, and it seemed great, but 'living' currently in Rimor, I didn't know too many people, execpt for someone recognising me (Hey "Bill" ), which was a good reunion, and I wish to thank you.
    I don't know what stories has been told on Atlantean, or what has happened, but wouldn't it be an idea to have this on Rimor aswell (alltho I think most rpers there that I once knew has left.. *sad*)? To setup a meeting and exchange ideas? Maybe I'm just seeing this too big.. *shrug*

Cham

PS: Was good seeing you again Yum Yum Crow I miss the old times. (And thanks for trying to introduce me :P)

Caught this thread a little late but anyways...I thought the idea of meeting up with other RP'ers was a great idea.

However as it was said above it lacked structure and with the amount of "chat traffic" going on made meaningfull conversation difficult.

Im not entirly sure if it was there as a Social gathering for RP'ers to meet OOC if so all well and good, but i thought it was a chance to make plans and develop stories which didnt really happen.

What id suggest before another meeting of this type is to agree an agenda of clear topics to discuss, and appoint 1 or a group of players to "lead" the meeting and keep it on track

Also it was great to see support from ARK with Director of Events Tchu coming along to the meeting
    Melynda 'Carla02' Zembower
    L220/15 Omni Eternalist
    RK1

Advisor of Vatos Locos
    Vatos Locos Forums

Carla , this is exactly the goal here, I would hope that you Email me and let me know you would like to be a part of this committee if you are interested, ,what you stated is exactly how it should be done