The Price of Love...

Trace the feeling back to source
    Adopt a different kind of course
    A change of heart
    Another place to start
    Secret steps are in your dance
    The offer of a second chance

- 12th Night, The Ceiling Speaks -

Once again, once more among the numerous amount of times she had already done it, Jen stared at her hand, trying to prevent the mixed feelings in her heart to carry her away.

She was sitting on the floor in the dark room, her back resting against the wall, her gaze lost in the contemplation of some invisible scenery. The shadows around her, swfit and caressing, in their odd ballet she knew so well now... the darkness she could almost touch, if she closed her eyes and let her imagination work strongly enough. The room... her room... their room... it still all looked like a dream to her, a dream she wished she would never come back from. For she had woken up seized by a terrible fear again at the thought that it was only but another of these dreams; but he was still lying at her side, this time... he was still with her, the ray of light through the closed curtains delicately outlining his face. Yes... he was back now. He had promised her he would stay, and he also had told her something else, something she had been eagerly awaiting as well as terribly dreading.

She had been missing him so much... so much that she had found herself unable to even know what she was doing, more and more. She was good to nothing when he wasn't with her. Good to nothing, when he would have needed her help - and maybe it was the reason he had gone? - No... No... that wasn't the reason, but... - She had been the most desperate woman, too, when all of a sudden, upon coming back from running an assignment, she had browsed the Grid once more out of habit, and saw the ad... his words... his sadness carved in each letter. Running, running, in a haze, trying to find where he was. Forcing the communications. Asking the help, even, of someone she didn't really trust, and the deal she had set in order to obtain the means of finding her love again were.... - But I hadn't the choice!... had I? It's a deal... I should be used ta this now...-

She shook her head, trying to clear her thoughts and dismiss the bad memories. Fates had turned once again, in a matter of minutes, so to say, making her the most happy woman, too. Another stage for another dream... this time carrying her to a place she still feared, even though she had managed to get rid of the terror that seized her guts each time she was going back to the desert. She couldn't allow herself this fear, not with her job, not with what she needed to do. She had had to jump in the Rift once more... doing her best to forget that it was through this very exit, too, that Trellame had forced her to follow him, on that awful day that seemed an eternity ago... and then, the immensity of the desert sky, above her head... and the trees behind the high walls of Sabulum. Sabulum, its odd, empty Temple. Sabulum, where her fate was bringing her once again. And he had been there, Malcom had been there!, when she had stumbled through the door, escaping the dry air and the blazing light of the twin suns now setting over the horizon. He had been there, his features terribly marked by the trials, by the illness, but still the same... still the same love burning in his eyes, stronger than ever. She wouldn't give up, not this time, not on him. She wouldn't go home without him. She wouldn't go on without him!...

He had promised. And he had stayed. Such a wonderful night, their happiness wiping off for a moment all sadness and worries... and this time, the haze hadn't resisted, the veil had been teared under her furious assaults to gain control of her thoughts again. He was back! Back, and nothing would separate them again! He was back, and they would enjoy this moment of passion, the deep, complete union of the body and the heart. His kisses, his caresses, his hands on her skin, in her hair, kisses, more kisses... back to the safety of their hometown, in a loving embrace, the warm, dim light drawing their shadows on the wall of her apartment... After all they had been through, after all these months spent alone, dreaming about him, about the day he would come back, she now was truly, completely his, mind and body, heart and soul. Or rather, this part of her mind that was hers, for the other one...

But she was happy. Or she thought she was. This new feeling in her... something she had never really experienced before, something her despair itself couldn't completely erase. If she managed to succeed... if she managed to save him... she could only clutch at fainting hopes now, and the last resort... she preferred not think of it though. Not if she could avoid it. Instead, she looked at her hand again, at the golden ring and its beautiful ruby spirals carved in the metal, and her eyes filled with tears. He had proposed her... her, the sewer brat, the dirty kid who used to beg old food at the Bronto Burger at the end of the day, who never really had any high hopes in her miserable childhood... her, the weirdo, the crazed one, the odd Fixer who talked alone half of the time, and shared her mind with a Gridghost whose existence itself was a total aberration... Malcom had proposed her, on this evening that was doomed to be both the happiest and the saddest day of her life, as contradictory as this statement could seem. She had finally taken the decision she was trying to run away from for so long. And she knew that even though it made her happy, she would never be freed of this new sadness now. Never.

"...I'm so sorry...." she whispered, burying her face in her hands, biting her lower lip to prevent herself from crying now. She had been so full of fear, fear of Heiji's reaction, of the hell he would make of her life if she accepted, at his rage against Malcom for having dared to take her away from him!... Yes... for a few seconds that had seemed an eternity to her, Malcom's words still echoing in her ears as he had passed the ring at her finger, she had really feared, knowing that she wouldn't be able to accept, that the choice wasn't completely hers... feeling the wave of despair threatening to engulf her again, as she was already preparing her answer, this answer that was paining her as surely as a bullet straight in the heart, the answer that would make her cry again and again whe she would be alone... alone, as usual. And yet, what had caused her the most pain, and still was, hadn't even been what she had feared, in the end.

It hadn't been Heiji's jealousy. It had been Heiji's lovefor her. The deep, utter weight of his thoughts suddenly silenced by the shock, as Malcom's words and their meaning were reaching him too, as he was understanding, also, what was the answer she was truly wanting to give, so badly. His silence, his calm, his usual calm before the storm, before he lost control and coldly turned into this dark being he still was in the depths of his soul. Yet the dreadfully expected storm had never broken out in her mind. For the first time since she had been aware of what he could force her to do, it hadn't broken out.

"...Say yes."

For a split second, instead, Jen had thought she was going to die under the sudden, infinite wave of sadness that had washed over her, a second before he managed to repress it. Not her sadness at first, but his. His acceptance. His final understanding that there was no other way, no other solution. And the realization that hit her too. Before that very, intense moment, she had never fully realized how much he cared for her.... how true, how deep his love for her was, to the point of agreeing to this sacrifice. She wouldn't have been able to tell whether it was his love or his despair that made her so sad. The shock had left her dazed, weak, confused. He knew that in that instant, she would have obeyed if he had demanded her to refuse. She knew what he was able of, when he was angry, when the hate threatened to carry him away... he had already made her pay so many times, made her suffer for this love she should never have allowed to grow in first place...

"...Say yes, Jenny. If you don't, you'll always regret it. And I don't want you to be sad for the rest of your life."

Now that the shock had passed... now that she was sitting here, awake, alone with her thoughts, while her lover was still asleep, Jen could fully realize what it really meant, what wonderful gift Heiji had made her. She could feel the agony of his soul. The agony of letting her go away from him a little more. The agony of feeling so useless, trapped as he was within her mind, without any hope of being able to do more for her than he already had. She knew his pain... his sadness... his desire, his need of being at her side, not only in thought. Oh yes... Heiji could shield himself the best he could and pretend he was allright, she still knew nothing would ever be the same for him anymore. And Jen was feeling so bad about this, so bad about his suffering... so bad about this terrifying proof of love he had given her in that frozen instant.

Yet she loved Malcom. She loved him so much... so much that not accepting would have driven her mad, and she was confusely aware of this fact, too. Never had she loved someone like this before - someone alive, that is. Never had any man told her that she was beautiful as Malcom had did, with his so wonderful smile, his shining eyes, his warm hand caressig her cheek. Never had any living man loved her that much, a love so strong she could feel it radiating from him every time his gaze lingered on herface and body. Never had anyone been so kind with her, even when she was behaving odly, stupidly, angrily, and even though he very well knew that she was tied to Heiji in a way nobody on Rubi-Ka could fully understand.

"..I'd have... Heiji... I dun wanna hurt ya..." she whispered, her trembling voice barely audible even in the silence. She knew she was about to voice a terrible lie. "I'd have say no, if ya had want--..."

"It's a living husband you need, hun. Not a dead one" - and his invisible, mental smile was so sad, as he was saying these words!...

"But ya..."

"I'll live with it. Don't worry. Never worry about this." And he fell silent, the smile slowly frezing, fainting, vanishing. He needed to be alone, and however he couldn't, locked as he was in his thoughts, thoughts he wouldn't let her know, in fear of making her suffer even more.

So... Jen had done what her heart begged her to do, what her body longed to. She had accepted. She had said yes to Malcom. In her heart of hearts, after all, she didn't need any official ceremony or formular to feel herself tied to him the way she was. She didn't need words. The feelings were all that mattered, the feelings were all that had always mattered. Without Malcom, she would die. Without Heiji, she would die. Their fate was playing tricks on them once again, the happiness of two of them always meaning the despair of the third one. It couldn't be otherwise...

Dismissing this thought too, Jen swallowed hard, raising her head to look at the bed, on the other side of the room, the bed where he was sleeping, after this wonderful, beautiful, amazing night. Swiftly getting back on her fet, she silently walked to him, her fingers lingering on the sheets for a few seconds, not wanting to wake him up, not yet, not when he would wonder why she had been crying. She loved him, truly, deeply, madly, with a passion that was almost frightening at times. If she was to lose him to this disease... if she was to be left in this world without him... She knew what Heiji surely had thought. Maybe he's gonna die. Maybe. Maybe there is no real hope. You deserve some happiness, a happiness I can't give you, Jen-chan. You deserve love, you deserve a man that can take you in his arms and kiss you and make you really feel like a woman. So... be happy. I am the only one who doesn't have his place in this love...

How came that such a happiness could co-exist with such a sadness?...

Jen slowly kneeled near the bed, resting her chin on her arms as she was folding them on the sheets in front of her. Looking at him, at his pale features, at his long dark hair. Looking at the form of his body, feeling his presence, thinking, trying to convince herself that it wasn't a dream, that it was real. That the despair was real, thus the happiness too. They had so little time left, maybe, and she was decided not to let it flow between her fingers this time. She would clutch at the hopes, embrace them, she would find a solution, she would... She would all that was in her power, and even more, to allow them to be, at last, happy.

"Till the end of time... in health and illness... in happiness and fears... I'll always be yers... till death do us part..." Jen whispered, closing her eyes on the burning, bloody tears again.

And this thought was not for Malcom only...
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

OOC

I can't lie. I did too
    "Jon Grim,Omega News Network, mind if I ask you a few questions?"

"....I dont usually give my comm number out on the first date, Ms. Thorn.......but you did dig that bullet out of my shoulder."

[*whistles** Demmy babes...you are one HELL of a writer..that was beautiful]
    General Hershel "Kasimir" Jurik

President of Division 9 R.S.G.E

Fixer
    RK-1

Braumiester of the Pagan Bartenders, wielder of dual SSo8s

Stealer of hearts, creds, and anything not nailed down!

((Wow....just.....wow ))
    The Deacon of Doom
    www.gridstream.org

((*speechless*....uh.....what Braedon said....))
    Bliqz: "anything Uwen says is a vicious and ugly lie"

((Wow.. That is really beautiful. Very nice job. You are very talented.))
    Tristalyn, Kaidence, Daquri, Sexykitten, Brittain
    GridStream
    Ich gebe Decavolt meine Seele und Körper
    Voted by the community - Funniest Female - Most Eligable Bachelorette and Best Doctor! Thanks! <3
    Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! Hugs! HUGS!
    .·´¯`·..·» You've just been RAINBOW hugged!! «·..·´¯`·.

Hmm .. hmhmm ..

Oh well, back to work and real life ..

Dunno what to say, so I'll just go with ..
    That was *good* .. Really good.
    Didymus - Solitus Trader, Member of Instability

Fixerben stares at the screen speechless and gawking, eyes turning red and tears forming.

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

*wipes away her tears*

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

((*sniffles and clears her eyes* That was very well done! Very very well written.. great job ))

Luci "Jassel" Jurik

((aww Jen, that was beautfiul... /me wipes the tears away and sniffles. Really beautiful...))
    Lauri
    Cookiemonger

The Original GSP Groupie

((...Guys, *I* am speechless....

Thanks you all for all these kind comments. It really does move me so much... I don't know what to say myself. I wanted so much to convey... the beauty in this, and feared I wouldn't succeed.... I'm so glad it pleased you, really.

Thanks you all. Really. Makes me feel like writing even more now.... ))

There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Re: ...

Originally posted by Demenzia
    ((. Makes me feel like writing even more now.... ))
    ((Woohoo! ))
    Bliqz: "anything Uwen says is a vicious and ugly lie"

OOC:

Why am I purposely reading beautiful, yet sad things lately. Because I feel the need to express in this manner and can't come close.

It was wonderful =~)
    Lisa "Fistofpaper" Bliss
    200 Killpet Legend, RK1

Natasha "Nursedaou" Evile
    Chief of Stuffed Sturgeons and Healer of Hajk, RK1

Jynne - ... it doesn't matter if the glass is half full or half empty. Just drink the ****in' water. =p
    Dovve - If you are a poet, when you read the words on this paper, you will see a cloud

((Hmmm...

*smiles mischievously*

Prepare then, I guess... there should be more to come soon... very soon... forI think my chronic logorrhea is seizing me again.

But above all... it's all of you who gives me what I need to write. Thank you again for this support. I'm still beaming with happiness at the thought I could touch you people. *group hug for everyone who read this story*))

There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Originally posted by Fistofpaper
    OOC:

Why am I purposely reading beautiful, yet sad things lately. Because I feel the need to express in this manner and can't come close.
    ((I feel the same. And that's why it's so great that there are talented writers amongst us who can do it for us. Very beautiful, Demenzia. Very beautiful.))

Redemtion

The soldier slept. For the first time in many months, both his body and his mind now truely rested, peaceful, happily.

And he dremt......

Not the nightmares that consumed his mind everytime he closed his eyes. Not the visions of the twisted things his illness caused his eyes to see. Nor the visions he had killed the man he knew as his father...

But sweet, comforting dreams that took him far away from the darkness.

Even the old woman. She didn't seem fightning at all, though the soldier wondered if she should. She stared at him what seemed an eternity before speaking

"To sleep, perchance to dream," she said to him. He didn't remember her from his past. Was this his memory. But then he suddenly felt the odd, yet comforting notion it was one of her memories. One of his beloved Jen. Yes, he didn't know how or why, but it didn't matter. It was paradise to have her so close to him.

Jen.......

Surely she was perfection to him. Every tiny detail about her made him long for her with a passion he hadn't felt before. And now that they had shared fullly themselves to one another, he wanted her even more.

As the soldier lie sleeping, he can feel her eyes upon him. Too lost in dream to smell her tears, but he can feel her there even in his deep dream state, he knows. A smile spreads across his lips as his mind is pulled back into the pool of images and thought. He could resist, but why? These were so warm and soothing, soaking into the deepest reaches of his tormented soul. He alowed himself to again be immearsed.

But his dreams, quite expectedly and happily, took him back to Jen. Back to their ron de vous just hours ago. He had been in that abandoned temple he knew too well. Long ago, when it was Jen that had been missing, the soldier had spent much time here. If he wasn't out walking the desert, hoping for some sign of her, any sign at all, he was here. Praying. He didn't know to who or what. Certainly not this Immortal One which he had hunted down in search of other answers. The god he prayed to was one he didn't know, yet one he felt. Perhaps because He no felt so very far away

Only this time, it had been he who was missing. He who was lost. And the guilt added even more weight to his burdened spirit.

Yet redemtion came. Despite his efforts to run, to not let her see the atrocity he had become, redemtion came. The wrist com he wore had been switched off for months. He had only been using it as a navigation tool on his endless walks. But with a surge of energy Cratty could plainly hear, the thing came to life as her voice came through. Distorted, crackling at first. But it was without a doubt the woman he knew he loved more than life itself.

The bloodtears filled his eyes suddenly. He couldn't fight is any longer. He spoke to her, his emotional armor shattering to tiny pieces as he explained to her the reason he had beeen gone, pleading forgiveness in the same words. His journey had proved to be a failure. Rubi-Ka held on to whatever answers it may have.

And then she came. She walked through those doors. She began to cry and he hated himself for a moment. But she was here now. He held her close, so so close and looked into her eyes.........

The disease hadn't twisted him yet, not so fully that his feelings had changed for her in any way. He loved her as deeply as he ever had, even more so now. Underneath the flickering light of the tourches that surrounded the alter, they kissed with a passion so bright as to burn away the blackness that had moments ago been his only companion

And she spoke to him of a cure. Of a possible chance to become who they once were again. And although this was what he himself had been looking for all this time, it suddenly paled in comparison to her. Cure be damned, she was with him again. Fate had slapped him across the face far too many times. He would not allow this oppertunity to hold her, to love her....to tell her......pass by without clenching it.

SHe told him she would love him, sick or not. And he suddenly realised the truth. As an epiphy, yet so common as the two suns in the sky. It didn't matter. The illnes might stay, but she would also. She still saw the man that he was in his heart, just as she was still the woman he had always loved.

And when he asked her to forget it all, just for tonight, she agreed. Tonight they would share to themselves, to one another.

The ring. Yes, the ring he had bought for her out in the desert. He purchased it off one of the few merchants that dared to stay in that god-forsaken Sabalum. Yet, it was beautiful. that such a thing could come from such a wasteland. He hadn't given it to her yet. He knew...he felt it wasn't the time to ask. Fortunate in a way, as the ring had given him a tiny spot of hope in his darkest times......

Now, however, circumstance had changed both their lives drasticly, horribly. It wasn't that now was a better time, but the soldier knew now that time was a commodity they may have precious little of. If he were to tell her how he felt, may as well tell her everything. He had to let her know how much he truely wanted her to be in his life for so long as that may be. So he asked her. His heart nearly burst with happiness when she said yes.

Their caressses became passionate kisses, their kisses into intimate touch. Emotions overtook them and then they could finally deny it no further. All the nights the soldier lie awake dreaming of the woman were realized. She was ..........perfection. It was the only way he could see her afterwards for there were no words that could be used to describe her. For the moment, at least, they were together. Tomorrow might challenge them again, but he knew where he belonged now. Fight, if they must, but it would be together this time. No more running

Jen goes to lay next to the soldier oncemore. As he feels her body next to his, holding him, a smile streches across his face

Sometimes, the weary find strength

Sometimes, the fallen are uplifted

Sometimes, even the blackest soul finds redemtion
    Last edited by Jon Grim; Mar 20th, 2003 at 20:07:20.
    "Jon Grim,Omega News Network, mind if I ask you a few questions?"

"....I dont usually give my comm number out on the first date, Ms. Thorn.......but you did dig that bullet out of my shoulder."

((*hugs Malc*

*hugs Malc even more strongly*

This was my ray of light when I came back home. Really.))

There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast