Thread: Who does FC design events for??

Question Who does FC design events for??

With the recent appearance of Mr. Ross in Omni HQ the other day, a question has been raised in the back of my mind. Why do we continually hear about the same high profile people present at these events? How do they hear about Ross speaking? It was posted in any news media whatsoever. Is this something that was done in a guild leader channel? I am very dissapointed as I would have loved to attend such an event, but all that I ever hear about are DC, Mother, and various other guilds being there. This is totally unfair FC and you need to find a way to broadcast these events in such a way that everyone has the ability to attend.
    Frelo - Level 29 Fixer (and loving every minute of it)

Anahata - Level 110 Solitus Trader
    Khephra - Level 6 Solitus Engineer
    Zaum - Level 8 Nanomage MP
    Merkaba715 - Level 50 Nanomage NT (Sleeping till NT's are fixed)
    Dimholt - Level 10 Atrox Enforcer
    Omni
    Rubi-Ka 1

'The only ones that see the end of war are the dead' - Plato

ever select the enws channel? and listen to it?

The answer is that the story is basically a big sham. Goodluck trying to be a part of it.

hey killahshin, what the hell are you talking about? the global announcement channel? thats a bunch of crap, all i ever hear on that is 'dust to dust' & 'come meet us at reet retreat for another pointless dance party'

when was Mr. Ross' appearance made public?
    Frelo - Level 29 Fixer (and loving every minute of it)

Anahata - Level 110 Solitus Trader
    Khephra - Level 6 Solitus Engineer
    Zaum - Level 8 Nanomage MP
    Merkaba715 - Level 50 Nanomage NT (Sleeping till NT's are fixed)
    Dimholt - Level 10 Atrox Enforcer
    Omni
    Rubi-Ka 1

'The only ones that see the end of war are the dead' - Plato

Fools.

It was on the trade channel and all over the chat channels in OOC. Pay attention to your corperation and you will get to hear the speeches of our Leaders. Those without enough dedication to listen in deserve the lack of information they recieve.

-Pyrothos

Normal method is for these things to be broadcast on the Leaders channel.

Though often Funcom will contact certain leaders directly. The leaders selected are usually via those that registered a couple of months ago as roleplaying guilds or are well known to GM's through contact in various forms such as IRC or Leaders chat.

As with all events in the game its down to a question of timing and sometimes who you know.

Once these events are actually occuring you may hear about them in shouts, OOC channel and other forms, but these arn't used by Funcom as a means of communication.
    Ye Olde and Original Founding is BACK !

Australian Timezone - RK1

Clute, don't you mean good luch being a main character in the story?

I was part of the story when Dust Brigade attacked Mort.

They didn't mention my name in the news, but I'm the Atrox in the bottom right corner of the screenshot. Both the body and the one sitting down. I was lucky enough to be the first to see them and spread the word.

But that's just dumb luck, and beside the point. By helping drive off the Dust Brigade, I participated in the story. By going to and participating in player events (no, not talking about parties, races et cetera) I participate in the story. I've been to several events, bot player-created and GM-created. I had a blast in all but one (some lamer ruined it for everyone).

I keep saying this

the 'big names' are the people who make a concerted effort to participate. if you make enough effort you can do it too most likely.

Even if guild leaders aren't notified, I would venture to guess that large guilds would have some members who happen to be present in the zone when an event starts and can then quickly notify their guildmates. This is one of the advantages of being in a guild. (I'm not in one btw so don't think I'm recruiting! )
    Anastasia "Aniee" Cervenak
    Martial Artist

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to. -------Mark Twain

Been there, done that, know the people, can't be bothered anymore after I've seen what half my fellows were like.

There are a few good ones, but most of the leaders (clan and omni) are retarded wankers.
    Ye Olde and Original Founding is BACK !

Australian Timezone - RK1

Originally posted by Clute
    The answer is that the story is basically a big sham. Goodluck trying to be a part of it.
    And that attitude is why you, most likely, will never be a part of it.

That's basically all I have to say. MikeWeather said it better than I anyway.

- Sllaagor
    Clan - Atrox Enforcer

How about neutral leaders? Are the wankers too?

I agree with all this, wholeheartedly...another big stumbling block for neuts wishing to get involved in the story is that there is no neutral leader's chat, and no neutral leaders ever get contacted by funcom. Morale among neuts is pretty low right now, because we've been seriously ignored in the recent events.

I did hear about the Ross event, because I'm a friend of Gestava's. However, my modem couldn't cope with the huge number of people, and I never got to hear what he said.

If I didn't happen to know Gest, I wouldn't have had a clue. Funcom are currently disappointing some of their most committed roleplayers.

We need better communication of events!

Re: I keep saying this

Originally posted by Windie
    the 'big names' are the people who make a concerted effort to participate. if you make enough effort you can do it too most likely.
    Shame its utter rollerrats droppings if you say it so much.
    I aint naming names, but there are certain "Captains" of the priviledged I'm in FC's backpocket brigade who haven't ever done jack to run things, organise things, or anything. Yet they get picked out as one of there friends who has been picked for actually doing something is in. The whole thing is becoming a total "club" for those who know each other.
    Meanwhile there are others who actively slog there guts out doing things to run events in game, try like made to get some good RP going, have masses of contacts throughout the players who are ignored and shunned by the powers that be.

I used to believe, then I opened my eyes to all which was around me. The storys a joke designed for the privlidged few.
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

Film director extraordinairre RandaZ's Avatar
    I'd have to partially disagree with you on that one Nyadach. Sure, we've got the few asses that manage to make their way into the top tier of those events, but I do believe that the majority, as Windie says, actually have made a "concerted effort to participate" in the FC events. But in order to do that, a lot of them have concentrated almost all their efforts into doing just that... getting into those events.

A lot of the rest of us here, I believe, have put in the same amount of effort into the game, but have diversified somewhat. For instance, the IRN does a lot more than just 'leading' events as some other guilds do. True, as neuts, you kinda can't of course lead the story events... but you've gone over to do things such as journalistic reporting and the like. Things that the other guilds couldn't do because they were so focused on just getting 'in'.

So, I guess it comes down to which story you'd like to participate in... the one that is read by countless other nameless strangers on the FC official site, or the one played out by our little community here. Either way though, you've gotta put in the work.

Tap
    Slotine Zembower
    R.U.R. Member (RK1)

Tappert Solminski
    Tailor of Rome-Blue (RK1) [currently MIA]

Re: I keep saying this

Originally posted by Windie
    /ooc
    "Concerted effort to participate", that sounds good but what does it mean?
    I play the character known as oshovah, rallied both OT-leaders and clan leaders. Several times. But to what end?
    I created several sideplots. Some of them had many, many players. But to what end?
    I participated in the story, tried to influate, tried to do anything. But to what end?

Even though I create an army, FC doesnt listen to us. What in hell does it take? Do we have to camp Omni-HQ for a week, I know I have said this before but, it seems to be the only thing that will make them listen.

Im still trying to influate the game, have done so for six months. Have been one of the leading players for four and a half months. roleplaying my fair share.
    Im about to give up on roleplaying anything in this game. Im on the brink.
    Thank you.
    Oshovah.

ps. im not whining, im just a bit sad about this, thats all.

Film director extraordinairre RandaZ's Avatar
    Hey Darksnake,

/ooc

Well, when I first met Oshovah, Tappert used to think that you were a nutcase... hmm.. wait a second.. he still thinks Oshovah's a nut-case.

Anyway, despite the fact that FC doesn't acknowledge you in THEIR storyline, I do think you've made an impact.

You've brought the first player-run 'cult' into Rubi-Ka and everyone knows it. Well, player d00dUber might not, but I'm sure everyone here has heard at least something about Oshovah or at least know to avoid your members even with a ten foot pole.

As for getting into the FC story... I think they've already pretty much laid out what they're planning to do. In essence, it's a template.. with holes that have been left for people's names, and guild-names. Honestly, that's the only viable way to do it for something this big. Now, the trick to getting your name inserted into that slot is to find out what the requirements are.

Sadly, a lot of the more creative roleplayers such as yourself have created entities that are square to their round template holes. They (FC) knew ahead of time that AO would at least be dominated by stereotypical player guilds (see EQ) so they've created those slots accordingly. I know, it sucks to have to play it "their way" in order to get into the official story... but hey, that's their story.

Tap
    Slotine Zembower
    R.U.R. Member (RK1)

Tappert Solminski
    Tailor of Rome-Blue (RK1) [currently MIA]

/ooc

/ooc

yeah sorry guys, I ment what Tap said here
    w00t!
    Lost the red tape...

Sorry, Tap, wasn't directed at you as I know what you're like with your events, and I was a bit narced really at other things and people of late...But on a side note I am still peeing myself laughing at windbags suicide run at the Juggs in Avalon. We just got some VERY amusing pics of this long line of Clan bodies being rolled over by a Jugg....have to admit it cracked me up laughing hehe. Its almost like syncronised suiciding (like sync swimming but needs a reclaim terminal).
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

Agreed - we need better communications and information channel for RP.

There are those of us in guilds tasked with updating/informing fellow members - particularly on main storyline events - but we can't do our jobs if the GMs only give out info via the leaders channel and/or to only a few leaders that had indicated themselves as RP oriented.

* Could guilds be allowed to nominate a few generals for access to the leader channels, for example?

* Or perhaps a different channel be created - say a 'Rubi-Ka Planet Grapevine' channel? And let this channel be accessible to anyone who registers as RPer.
    Ino
    rolling leet, crouching tiger, hidden dragon

Pioneer rifle/crossbow Vanguard with a personal sidearm and a campstove
    Atlantean

AO Adventurer Professional (2003-2004)

Map design suggestion for mapmakers

So much... stuff

From my experience, it seems like most of the people who try to take part in FC events try to take part in many (when possible). I'll admit a certain tiredness with Snipe hunts, but thats just me.

I agree with some of the others too, Funcom doesn't do enough to include sideplots. Its not just the square pegs tho. Its any player generated story no matter how big. Thats a pity from all the effort and good story ideas lost.

(I've never had the 'fortune' to meet Darksnake ingame, sadly)

Windguards Avalon thing is an interesting case tho. A purely player event (although including some confusion about things in the start), it did eventually get a LITTLE GM support, but that quickly evaporated, as is often the case.

I think they're afraid of messing up their stories with ours, which is a pity.

Also, Nydach take a valium man, its not that big a deal.