Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dimension transfer information

Originally posted by Merkaba715
    and you obviously are missing the point of mine. please refrain from posting in this thread any longer.
    I honestly dont know who that was directed to, but if YOU dont like what SOMEONE SAYS then prove what they said wrong, if YOU cant then YOU please refrain from posting on this thread any longer.

Though I want on RK1 I would have never blown Ill out of the water, he was the lucky ONE and honestly I was gonna start bugging GM's to put me on RK1

Too late now
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

Question Side issue re: special treatment

I'd like the ability to change dimensions. I hope you guys can get it automated and perhaps making it a one time thing per character would be good also, so people think before doing it.

I'd also like some information on this Lady phionna http://www.anarchy-online.com/charac...1/name/phionna

Is this just the name or some special addition given for rank/title levels?

I'm just curious, as there are a lot of undocumented features in AO and while surprise is good for some things, things like this are also good to get disclosure on.

Thanks,
    Ecce

You can get a title like that if they catch you RPing well, or something like that.

When my guildleader got married, he got a Lord title, and his wife got a Lady title.

A bit hard to give direct requirements on such things though.
    *poof*

Finally free from this nightmare!

Nicely handled Funcom -- and CZ in particular -- kudos on an excellent job in a difficult situation. FC was forced to pay a huge hit in trust due to the actions of (one assumes) a single individual. I am happy with how it was eventually handled -- hopefully they will be more vigilant in the future. This is one nice advantage of all the hue and cry, I suppose -- it establishes sharp costs to a casual policy that permits unwarranted favoritism from what should be neutral judges and service providers.

However, for all you people screaming "witch hunter" out there...

Personally, in the limited contact i had with Illuvatar, he struck me as a likable bright guy. His posts reflected this also.

As such, I personally cannot believe that he was not aware that something shady was going on. Funcom has acknowledged that it was illicit, and have moved to rescind it. Moving characters is certainly not an offered feature. He certainly could not work through official channels to do it. Editing his posts afterwards certainly supports this -- he did not, for example, post, "You mean people aren't allowed to do this?" What he actually posted was deeply amusing, as I noted at the time. I suppose i could be wrong, but that is what the evidence suggests. I am not out to either persecute or prosecute him, i have neither the interest nor the power. I would not have been all that put out if it had succeeded. But the "innocent victim" view seems rather far-fetched.

Well, assuming I am correct, he got snapped off. He took a risk, and it didn't pay off, and was forced to endure some bad consequences, including be sent back to the 'hood. He risked enduring intense public scrutiny. But in so far as this is a community, a game we all share and play, a certain amount of public scrutiny has to be legitimate here. I tried to keep the tone as light as possible in my own posts -- I hope you don't hold my light teasing against me Ill!

On the other hand, I agree with those who say that some people take this way too seriously. It is a just a game, and nothing real is at stake here. Many people seemed a bit too gleeful to beat on something, and took out the accumulated frustration of paying for a beta test a bit unfairly on both Funcom and Ill. In many ways, this seems rather worse than what Illuvatar did, I think. His action was primarily self-affecting, even if it turns out (who knows for sure?) that he actively tried to secure for himself an unfair and illicit advantage. But deliberately hurtful or otherwise irresponsible posts targeting others seem in another moral category in many ways.

-- DrPhil -- Hehe Nice discussion. I have taught ethics in a university context -- I really loved the caliber of your comments, as well as some of the others. I tend to think you are strictly speaking correct. Since it is in the context of a game, I am not inclined to treat it all that seriously, but I will confess I am rather constitutionally unable to take anything seriously for too long -- perhaps this explains why I no longer teach ethics lol

just a thought, but it would be cool if you could transfer chars between RK1 and RK2 while the other server is down. (Just as a temp option while the other server got sorted)

I know it'll never happen, but would still be a cool way to stop people complaining about downtime.

Originally posted by Cz
    On copying characters from Rubi-Ka 1 or 2 to Test-Live
    We choose to rather focus on completing a tool for players to be able to copy their character from the live dimensions to the test dimension. This is part of the process of allowing dimension travel.
    When this happens, you'll see me on the Test server very soon. Nice decision.

Originally posted by Merkaba715
    herm, this same argument came from them when the lead of the exploiter team told us that it was just an error and he was always on RK1. I am sorry, but I dont believe them anymore.
    Come on... she realised it was not the case and removed the post imidiately. How come you keep cluterring this thing. They said it was a mistake, and made up for it by moving hom back. Jeez get over it.
    ~Lone

Re: Official awnser plz

Originally posted by Dragev
    How many accounts has AO?

How many players is not importent, but how many Accounts has AO?

Just a curious soul..
    Assume 4 chars/account...that's being a little optimistic, I think. I generally keep my RK 1 account filled and I think I have a couple on RK 2.

A quick division yields 11k accounts. However, the antiguardians script I'm using read 41k chars a week or so ago. Use at your own risk.

Good job making the best out of a bad situation

I work for a computer networking company & I understand how complicated these things can get.

I'm proud of FC for investigating, once it was obvious something had gone wrong. How were they to know in the beginning of this that someone with access to their servers had used bad judgement & move a character?

I totally understand the reason FC has for refusing to move characters, even on a case by case basis. It would be a real challenge to make a tool to do it automaticly, and any manual move would definately take time & careful thought.

I have a suggestion for how this could be done fairly. I heard from a friend who plays EQ what they have started doing. This policy makes tons of sense.

EQ will do case by case transfers under a few strict rules

1. There is a $50 fee for the transfer
    2. The character can not take ANY items with them, including money, and their bank does not move.
    3. They reserve the right to not make transfers if they don't want to. This gives them the freedom to check things out & say no if there is any technical, or political reason.
    4. The $50 is per move, per character, if someone wants to move back, OK, that will be $50.

I think this setup is really fair, I believe they also do not gurantee how long transfers may take, as it has to be done by humans who have other things to do, and things like server patches, emergencies will de bone before character transfers.

Just an idea, but I would rather see my Fixer fixed, than get a character moved.

That's all

Film director extraordinairre RandaZ's Avatar
    $50 might be a bit harsh and then you'd still get the people who think it's their god-given right to get it for free.

Thinking about it a bit more, I think one of the primary reasons might be duplicate names. We know FC can already dupe players (for testing purposes). Now whether that's on a single-server or only to the test-server is unknown. But if they can do it across servers, there's still that pesky problem of name collisions that turn up if they try to automate it.

Maybe a compromise is in order. Let those that don't have name collisions do a one-time transfer from the login-shell. Check names, dupe the character, verify, and then destroy the old one. All steps must be verified in order for the old character to be destroyed and the new char to be available to ensure integrity. However, most of the basic functionality seems to be in-game already.

Now for those that have name collisions, maybe have the option to append something to their name or pick an entirely new name later on. That might be a bit more to program in though. But at least they might be able to cover the rest with an automated program now.

I'm not saying it's easy to do. Even small but critical things like this take a lot of testing, testing and some more testing, but if they restrict it to their login-shell, they can test it to their hearts content in-house since it doesn't really modify the client handler in anyway.

Tap
    Slotine Zembower
    R.U.R. Member (RK1)

Tappert Solminski
    Tailor of Rome-Blue (RK1) [currently MIA]

HE GOT LUCKY.

AO COMMUNITY = ME ME ME ME ME!

****ING JEALOUS ****S.
    Summon those tissues, baby!
    Idiots.
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

Talking transfer and names

I think they are planning to do the transfer for a number of reasons, but just to clarify:

1) There are only duplicate names on the same account. If you make a "tappert" on rk1, only your account can make a "tappert" on rk2. At least this is what FC stated when RK2 was put up.

2) RK1 has a lot of events and ARK/GM activity, whereas RK2 does not. RK2 gets 1 Unhappy Worker once, very early in the morning on GMT; no herald to publize events, etc.

So, maybe they'll figure on putting everyone on RK1, using the hardware that is being used for RK2 for the remaining and yet to be implemented zones.

I think a lot of people would be upset with a merger of rk1 and rk2, mainly because alot of people on RK2 left rk1 because of the crashes, crowded hunting areas, and other issues (lag, etc, you name it).

Anyhow, I'm not adding much, so I'll stop now. :-)

Ecce, my soldiers name "Obergeist" was already taken on RK1. Maybe the character has been deleted, maybe not. All I know is that someone rolled up a Atrox MA and beat me to the name.

So, I shouldn't even have this name.

Oh yeah, you can keep RK1. You can actually get a even steven chance at the good nodrops, without being in a huge guild. You just need good friends. Well.. not even that. Lots and lots of Slayerdriods
    Perfection breeds weakness.

Obergeist-Burning bright, Above the head ghost

Mdgprogram-Fearful symmetry <---beat the every lovin' crap out of a level 60 soldier at 49

Stronger, better, faster, push it

The Troll Corps want you!tm
    General in the Troll Corps tm

/tell Merkaba715 Who cares? Bleh...

/me watches Merkaba715 beat a dead horse to death.

And I use the name Merkaba715 to describe everyone doin the same.
    Don't get mad peeps just cause the babysitter gave little jimmy a piece of candy and not you. Now little jimmy got his candy taken away and somebody stole his name: are you happy now? ;p
    Live long. Put your face in many h00ters.
    What would be next The Hardend Criminal would change his name to the The Misunderstood Offender?

C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION
    Frame pointer not aligned. Stopping!
    <end>

If your elbow hurts when you go like this, don't go like this!

Originally posted by Vasion
    /tell Merkaba715 Who cares? Bleh...

/me watches Merkaba715 beat a dead horse to death.

And I use the name Merkaba715 to describe everyone doin the same.
    Don't get mad peeps just cause the babysitter gave little jimmy a piece of candy and not you. Now little jimmy got his candy taken away and somebody stole his name: are you happy now? ;p
    lol, this is funny. me beating a dead horse to death. I havent posted on this thread for over a month, and I am still getting flamed. Jeez people, move on. What they did was fair. He should have been moved back. The babysitter shouldnt give out candy unless she has enough for everyone or is willing to slowly start handing them out. What happened was totally different, and you have only 30 posts or so, tells me you really didnt keep up with the story, have no idea what really happened, and are just a troll.
    Frelo - Level 29 Fixer (and loving every minute of it)

Anahata - Level 110 Solitus Trader
    Khephra - Level 6 Solitus Engineer
    Zaum - Level 8 Nanomage MP
    Merkaba715 - Level 50 Nanomage NT (Sleeping till NT's are fixed)
    Dimholt - Level 10 Atrox Enforcer
    Omni
    Rubi-Ka 1

'The only ones that see the end of war are the dead' - Plato

Talking

I agree with MiKEBoND btw.
    lol, like I said 1. "/me watches Merkaba715 beat a dead horse to death. "

2. "And I use the name Merkaba715 to describe everyone doin the same."

Let me indulge in a little "Merkaba715'ing" myself.

As for my posting count, I have been around since the launch and read the boards since then. After I gained enough game info to contribute to the boards. I started posting. If you've been around since or before then kudos and props, who cares.

Just because someone had something done for them that was not supposed to happen, doesnt mean that everyone needs to automaticaly get the same thing. Damage control is making sure it doesnt happen again it doesnt mean pay reparations to morons and griefers\whiners because they feel they were wronged by not getting to take advantage of the same mistake.

BTW if I didnt keep up with the story and you havent posted in a month, how would I know about the situation? Did'nt mean to pick on you but, you were the one whining about it most and the best example of what I had to say.

As for the troll comment: There are more healthy ways to deal with your shortcomings. Channel you frustration into somthing more constructive like digging holes, or even better, filling them.

Bleh... Who cares. Stop whining and making things more difficult for everyone else. And I suppose you are partly to blame for all the crappy patches with all your posts that I lack. They obviously listen to the biggest whiners. This is a dead issue they put the guy back where he was, and somebody stole his name, leave it at that. If you dont believe that they did who the hell cares? It does not affect your gameplay.

Last, I would like to direct your attention to the comment labled 1.& 2..

I will not post again on this thread as I do not want to contribute any more to the "Merkaba715'ing" that has already transpired

If these comments do not apply to you then dont worry about them they are not about you. ;p
    Last edited by Vasion; Apr 9th, 2002 at 02:14:10.
    Live long. Put your face in many h00ters.
    What would be next The Hardend Criminal would change his name to the The Misunderstood Offender?

C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION
    Frame pointer not aligned. Stopping!
    <end>

If your elbow hurts when you go like this, don't go like this!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234