Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OOC: What is happening to the RP community?

OOC

I've had the same issues in the past. Marches and security patrols, etc. You will always get hassled by some jerks. Just got to keep your head cool and chin up. Because you will get appreciation from many players that are just impressed and watching. For every 10 griefers that give security patrols hell and try to act disruptive. you'll come across a few RPers who will either:

1.) Join in and RP back. I really like Fixers that get all, "Uh, ID? Umm...*looks around nervously* Hey, look at my suit, this thing doesn't have any pockets! I left it at my apartment, yeah." and so forth. You can have some real fun with it.

2.) Didn't know RPers existed in this game. I've met alot of folks like this just by going outside the normal RP places (clubs and so forth). Kind of amazing too. Made friends with someone who told me that they have been playing the game for four months and that my group was the first folks she had ever met that were acting in character. And this wasn't an "event", it was just a mission team of 4 Niners and two others. She was impressed just because when I walked up in NLC, everyone saluted, folks responded during to each other in the mission by rank and so forth.

3.) This is the best one. You'll get them to join in, and pick up a new guildmember. I can truly say that the number of applications we got just because of security patrols was amazing back when we ran em all the time. It really does wow people when you know what your doing (or have a good knack at faking like you do )

So, even though I'd put a bullet in your head if we met on the field, keep it up and don't let em get to ya
    Vice President Cristin "Jypsie" Kaba
    Division 9 : Rational Science and Genotype Enforcement
    R.S.G.E Division 9

Webster is your friend.

You who consider yourselves actors and performers,
    if you play a compelling tune the people will dance.
    - Leetraider

(OOC)

Don't let a few greifers get you down because they can't appreciate what you're doing. There actually is a real RP community in AO however most of the time it's either in guild chat or simply unaware of the fact that there are other RP folks out there (which was my case for quite a while).

When you come across these immature greifer types though, I find it best to first send them a /tell asking for them to please leave you alone to enjoy yourself. This will work if they have any consideration whatsoever (and some greifers actually do, they're just greifing to be "funny" by annoying the living daylights out of you) if that doesn't work try and RP the situation to the best of your ability, worst comes to worst and they get really offensive/disruptive just /ignore them and petition an A.R.K to see what can be done. If nothing else remember that AO is an MMORPG and while there will always be those that like to be an annoyance there are many more who appreciate the time and effort taken to RP and stage RP events.

(/OOC)

the most players near the FT are just n00bs. Don't let they ruin your day.

Of course you could do like me and fire up a storm on em until they run away like little kids..that's the advantage to being the queen of mean. As for the rp community well..it's just largely on life support from my view, it's getting tougher and tougher to rp my character without someone who doesn't rp at all taking it as an offense or an ooc attack, it really makes things boring after a while. I like games with dedicated rp servers, was the one thing I liked about daoc...just that everything ELSE in it was crap. I think SWG will have a dedicated rp server and I just can't wait. All I can say is keep your head up and keep your finger on the ignore button, if all else fails, simply start logging your vicinity messeges and take screen shots, they always make great evidence when petitioning an ARK.
    "Did I tell you that you could speak?....then why are you still talking?."

Originally posted by Lexusstreak
    Of course you could do like me and fire up a storm on em until they run away like little kids.. that's the advantage to being the queen of mean.
    Templus thinks someone wants a shot at the belt.
    Next thing you know she will be saying she is Templus

Honey darling, I have been in the mean game longer than you sistah. I've been scaring people away from me probably since before you took your first steps on Omni Prime. However if you want a shot at MY belt, feel free...or if you want a shot at something else..you have to buy me a latte first

*bursts into laughter*
    "Did I tell you that you could speak?....then why are you still talking?."

OOC

OOC: I solo on my own; I have soloed on my own to my current level. I have only been playing the game for nearly a year and I find this is the only MMORPG where people actually meet in bars, nightclubs, etc...! If you find me in there I'll most likely be RPing with my 'bot (who loves wine and women, very unappropriate for a robot pet). I've gotten some funny reactions from people when I do this, and that's why I love doing the RP
    Former EQ Cleric lvl 26, no relation to Bugs Bunny
    90 337 $0|\/|3 l337: It's not just for dinner anymore

Oddly enough, I don't really RP in missions. Hmm, no that's not it - I tend to solo missions, thus I don't RP in them. When I team, it's almost only for outdoor hunting/dungeons (Foreman's runs were a blast, I need to do that more often!). I'm quite the babbler, so if I run a team mission with fellow RPers, we often end up talking and talking and... not really missioning *laughs* And pardoxically, I don't like pick-up teams, because if I'm not with RPers, I'm not really at ease.

I'm very weird, I know *grumbles*

Oh well. I shouldn't sleep 3 hours per night. Make my brains go *freeze* and *poop* and then I don't know what I'm writing anymore.
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

OOC

That's the beauty of being a soldier in a RP military/science org. Combat is your RP stage. Just make a few macros and learn to type quick and you can really ****e up the usual combat spree that misssions are. Say things like "Tango" instead of "Target", "Roger that" instead of "Ok",and other psuedo-military BS played-too-much-Ghost-Recon speech. Whenever we're going after items for folks, we're not farming or raiding some dungeon, we're on a mission for Mama Omni and the Division. An example, getting the Queen Blade for one of our enforcers and some eggs for folks was a search and recovery mission for the RSGE(science) Dept. We had to recover some egg samples, and in the process remove the threat of the queen. In everyday missions, some non-RPs think you talk wierd, but as long as the bodies keep hitting the floor fast enough, thier happy. And, you can sometimes encourage others to join in.
    Last edited by Jypsie; Mar 15th, 2003 at 16:52:02.
    Vice President Cristin "Jypsie" Kaba
    Division 9 : Rational Science and Genotype Enforcement
    R.S.G.E Division 9

Webster is your friend.

You who consider yourselves actors and performers,
    if you play a compelling tune the people will dance.
    - Leetraider

Boredom probably. There are a few people out there trying to ****e up the game with sidestories but nobody wants to step on FC's toes and look like an ass so we just sorta wait untill something happens on the log in screen or ingame. What I have seen is a lack of hard line actions omni vs clan. Too many people crying for a peace when it's just not gonna happen anytime soon.

I can think of about 100 diffrent things that I never here people talk about in rp that are part of the game. Here I'll list a few.

1. Medusas... Did everyone just give up trying to figure out why there out there and what the hell there doing on RK?

2. Temple of three winds. There isn't any real npc or greenie confirmation of what the heck this place is, the item descriptions are there but I'll be damned if it makes any sense to me. As far as I can figure it theres an immortal that wants to kill everyone that is a non believer or something and they drop nice loot.

3. Omni-af vs Omni-pol... There is supposed to be a power struggle here but I haven't ever seen it

4. Yuttos, why are they there, they came to sell things in borealis then disappeared back to there camps. There not mutants but what the hell are they???

5. Cyborgs, uh yeah arent we all cyborgs? Implants...

6. Biomare-foreman mine... Why do omni's attack me on site when I got there as an omni. It's obviously some sort of cover up with experimentation. I talked to a guy in there and he said they performed some experiments involving notum but it didn't make that much sense to me.

7. Nelebs madness or the big eyeball you click on cave. This is the wierdest place on rubi-ka. Floating mushrooms, mobs that cast nano's' that make you trip out. childhood memories, figments of imagination... What the hell are these things and why are they there I always wonder.

8. Smugg and his missiles... Yeah this guy has a base with missiles and a ton of gaurds and controll towers. Why is he there and what are his plans?

Inquiring minds want to know this stuff, but nobody is talking.

Originally posted by Ognom
    I can think of about 100 diffrent things that I never here people talk about in rp that are part of the game. Here I'll list a few.

2. Temple of three winds. There isn't any real npc or greenie confirmation of what the heck this place is, the item descriptions are there but I'll be damned if it makes any sense to me. As far as I can figure it theres an immortal that wants to kill everyone that is a non believer or something and they drop nice loot.
    Inquiring minds want to know this stuff, but nobody is talking.
    Actually, if you go talk to the woman that translates the MA special attacks (in GTC, a bit southwest of the Temple), she has some info on the origins/current state of the Temple and the cultists.

But bump for Oggie on this one - I agree completely.
    Emiliy Age
    Unit Leader, Foreign Relations
    Speak your heart, don't bite your tongue...

Whisper's Edge | Gridmail | Engy's Workshop | Tir School of Engineering

Bliqz on Shadowlands: "Gonna make it hard to decide who I can and cant eat."

Wink

Originally posted by Bliqz

IC: All F#%*ing calnners must F#$*ing die. Try and schedule your parade ina 5% zone, Hmm?
    Halouk my brother, if you ever need a security detail for your marches, please let me know....I will unleash the Tigers upon those that are unrully.

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG
    FFS FFS FFS FFS FFS FFS FFS
    WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF

Pete "Fozzysan" Sandine
    Guru
    Squad Comander of Lost Chapter
    Alumni of The Red Tigers
    Deffence Masta
    OMG I went back to fists!

I rp at any given oppurtunity.
    Sure someone i dont rp with becouse they dont know how to But atleast i play my role in this game. Several acctually.

OOC: You kinda got to expect this when you do something that disruptive to the norm. Most people you see on the streets are running from point A to point B, they see a large gathering or event and they get curious of course, some watch, some are jerks and decide to make fun rather than participate. It's not fun to get made fun of for trying to play your way and have a good time, but you have t olearn to deal with it, this is human nature, it happens here just as it would in real life. When crowds of people gather, it's inevitable that some will not be so kind as others, luckily since this is a game, you don't have to worry about any real harm, just an ego bruising if you let it get to you. Personally i think anyone who can get a large group organised to march has done a great job, I remember watching OP spend like 10 minutes trying to get people lined up. I laughed then of course but quietly flew away, no sense in bugging them...although there was that one time
    Atlantean Soldier.

Director of Obsoleet (@.@)/'

Originally posted by Fozzysan

Halouk my brother, if you ever need a security detail for your marches, please let me know....I will unleash the Tigers upon those that are unrully.

I might just hold you to that
    Halouk - 205 Atrox Eng RK2
    Goodbye AO. I'll miss ya.
    Guide to Engineers in Society.

Dear Diary...
    Eng lft Part 2
    Yes I'm biased.

<<Bye everyone>>

Re: OOC: What is happening to the RP community?

Originally posted by Halouk
    Hi all,

As some of you know, I posted a thread on here not long ago saying I was making a new RP org with uniform and parades etc.

I now have about 12 members, all with uniform, who take it seriously and do well

However, yesterday we were doing a little big of marching around inside Tir FT (A few new recruit needed to be dhown how to do it) when we were told to shut up by someone. Fair enough

We marched outside FT and formed up.

Immediatly we had about 4 people laughing and taking the piss out of us, one who shall remain unnamed becase ARK are alrady dealing with him.

So I ignored it and ordered my squadron to march away. And they did. Yet were were followed by 2 or 3 people who just kept dacing away in front of our parade taking the piss. FT was relativly quiet at the time, with more people there it would have been a nightmare!

My point is - what has happened to this game? What sort of an audience has it attracted? Not only to not bother roleplaying (Which is fair enough if you dont want to RP - its your choice), but people in the game where they have to go around ruining other people's RP is just sick.
    I lost my temper with one of them yesterday, and upset my org becuase I got really angry OOC.

This has seriously damaged my org's pride, as we looked smart and organised, but were taken down by 3 or 4 morons who wouldnt leave us alone.

As if the RP community doesnt have enough problems at the moment

((Think of it this way: If you are having fun then your $13 is well spent.

Now think of the people making fun of stuff like this. They spend $13 to act as jerks. Do they get much out of their money? I doubt it. And once they realise they want in on the fun it's too late, no one will take notice of them.

So just keep having fun. You're doing a good thing for the RP community.))
    Garret "Necc" Scheer press officer of Desert Winds (MSAS)

Karma, the world's true equalizer.

Free Rubi-Ka!

Keep up the work man, ther will always be aholes out there.

I found a great way to deal with them. Humor. No really it works. You ahve a person who stands behing you and does a emote that looks like they are humping you? Make fun of them. My opinion, a person who does such, wants attention. So I give them LOTS of attention. I coment about his nice thong. I tell him that I expect a phone call the next moring. I even ask him next time to at least buy me dinner. I Do this in such a way, that everyone else around me sees this.

And they laugh at the person. A little peek into human emotions. Noone likes to be laughed at. If everyone is in the room, laughing at his antics, pointing fingers and chuckling at him, they will stop. Why? Think about it. When you were a child, doing childish things, and people pointed at you and laughed at you, you didnt liek it one bit. Usually you woudl get mad and run away, not wanting the embarassment.

Some call this a form of harassment. Well i Beg to differ. Harrassment, in my opinion, is the action which offends another. Who starts it first, is the person at fault. Im a fairly nice guy. I like to poke gentle fun at some people. When I see however, someone outwirte annyoing someon else, greifing or just ruining another persons good time, I feel its my blessed right to walk right up and play along with te person who is greifing. THey dont like that allot Ive noticed.

Just keep in mind, the fact that human beings are essentially fools, and everyone has the opportunity to be a fool, they will most likely do such in a situation that where ther are no concequences for theri actions, such as in a video game. We certainly cant expect, the 13 yr old child at the other end of the keyboard, to have his mommy spank him for being naughty. So you have 2 choices really. Ignore them (iffey at best). Or go along with them. Funny thing is...if they do something what they think is funny, which is designed to make you feel bad, all theri wind is stolen when you go along with it.

Kind of hard to make fun of someones actions when they agree with you.

Of course, this situation doesnt pertain much to what you had to deal with. You were having a serious RP situation, and pulling out your thong wont work. So do as such as what was suggested, post a petition with the words "Greifing". THat will get eh Holy Powers above moving pretty fast.

(then again..I get a pervers pleasure turning the tables on someone who likes to greif.....call it a talent
    Metalynx: 216..... 4 more levels and the server will shut down!

Metalynx: "I seriously hope all the stupid people in the world don't congrigate in one spot, for all the weight of this massive amount of raw idiodicy, might collapse upon itself, creating a Singularity of Ignorant Stupidity, unmatched in strength by any black hole in the universe"

to Halouk

Hi, I watched u guys forming up n stuff in ft and outside and i was a little saddened to watch some lil idiot messing it up for you.

While not really subscribing to the whole roleplaying thing myself (within this game at least) i think that your performance outside FT made you look good and hopefully those with a common interest would not be deterred from joining in and getting involved because some clown repeatedly moons you etc.

Hope it all works out for you and good luck.

Love Riz
    Rizla

"Tomorrow belongs to those that can see it coming"

Re: to Halouk

Originally posted by Rizla
    Hi, I watched u guys forming up n stuff in ft and outside and i was a little saddened to watch some lil idiot messing it up for you.

While not really subscribing to the whole roleplaying thing myself (within this game at least) i think that your performance outside FT made you look good and hopefully those with a common interest would not be deterred from joining in and getting involved because some clown repeatedly moons you etc.

Hope it all works out for you and good luck.

Love Riz
    Woot! I have been noticed and appreciated!
    I just got NW... so towers are starting to take a bit more priority than marching.. nevertheless

you will probably see us on saturday around FT together, or a lot during this week

Keep an eye out inside and around FT
    Halouk - 205 Atrox Eng RK2
    Goodbye AO. I'll miss ya.
    Guide to Engineers in Society.

Dear Diary...
    Eng lft Part 2
    Yes I'm biased.

<<Bye everyone>>

Originally posted by Ognom
    4. Yuttos, why are they there, they came to sell things in borealis then disappeared back to there camps. There not mutants but what the hell are they???
    Hmmm ..
    I'm not sure either, except for one thing.
    I'm quite sure they're norwegian or .. at least used to be.
    Didymus - Solitus Trader, Member of Instability

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast