Thread: Level requirement?

Level requirement?

I just had one question to the story dev team. Several friends of mine have expressed a concern that actually reflects my own concerns. SOme of them are even planning on quitting the game because of this and I would like to have some clear answer for their concerns that would be backed up by the actual AO staff. I am sure that many other players reading this have similar concerns. Basically, a lot of people, including me, are worried that character level will play a huge role in the story. In other words, you can't be a part of the story unless you're lvl 100 or higher. This means that AO is just another game that is based on kill stuff level, kill stuff level, etc. and only than take the advantage of the story. How about people who have been playing this game for a long time, but are simply not interested in killing stuff? All they want is to RP and be a part of the story, that brought them into AO in the first place. This concerns are well backed-up, as we see most events having high lvl requirements, just like story-related places. So to sum it up, is there a lvl requirement to be a prt of the story and if so what is it? And to what extent can a player of lower level influence the story? After all, not all of us want to be known as great fighters, some want to be great leaders, how do we get there? Thanks in advance!

Of course, as always, feedback from the players is always welcome, but I shouldn't be even saying that as I know you will respond anyway .
    Major Shadowolf Marone
    Blade Corp
    "Leading mercenery organization in the Galaxy!"
    Position - CEO
    Rank - Major

Personal quote:
    "Your advertisement could be here"

Thumbs up agreed

Thanks for this post, I think this is a really important point.

I play this game only for a couple of days now. Overall, I love it, I love the atmosphere, the graphics, and I really long to get involved more into the story.

I first started out with a soldier, so taking out as many bad guys as possible is my prime concern, and hobby :-D call me a maniac.
    But then again, as a soldier i start feeling silly when i have to fight along with *traders* and *bureaucrats*! I am supposed to be proud to be a fighter... can I still be?

Sure, I see the need for a "qualification" system, if only to motivate people to actually advance with their characters, and also as a reward to dedicated players. I don't basically have a problem with the level requirements.... but there should be more ways to gain exp for the different characters. I am convinced this would make Ruby-ka much more interesting.

As an Omni Engineer, I now have different ways to get exp. The only problem is trying to get money. That is a major reason that I even bother with Soloing. My friends aren't on all the time, so I can level faster. But I do feel like there is no "real" way I can even help with the story line, if I don't have the qualifications to get into one of the dungeons. So I can relate to people thinking they are not contributing to the story.

Am I, I think not.

Arrow The answer kinda...

I asked that very question and Cosmik replied w/a definate "YES". Move forward to 10/31 and guess what? My char was too low to kill a scarecrow. (Which was the Story launch) So, I couldn't get into the Steps until 2-3 days later when thay removed the requirement to get a teddy bear off of the scarecrows.

My response to your question is: "No at first" and "Yes after they remove the key/item to get in somewhere"

He lied to me.
    Kodiene
    Founding member of P.E.T.A.
    People for the Ethical Treatment of Atrox's
    PAINKILLR
    Mercenaries of Kai

"I personally think nerfs are death in an emergency patch. It is very cool to admit that there are a lot of things we can do boring, very boring in-game. Your input is being adjusted in some Fouls. I want to especially thank the players who WILL die.
    Have Fun! And I'll be seeing you online
    jonhelgi, designer - AO"

Thanks, but...

Thanks a lot for an answer, but could you please explain it more. Honestly I personally didn't understand exactly what you mean. Apperently you're reffereing to some game event that I missed. So could you please clarify that a bit? Thanks.
    Major Shadowolf Marone
    Blade Corp
    Position - CEO
    Rank - Major

Personal quote:

Never fear!

At least the two story event/mission/dungeons had nothing to do with the overall story... at least they seem pointless.
    When the Cyborgs attacked Tir, I was only level 24, but I was there anyway, I died 3 times, but that was Ok, I was taking part... going in the dungeons is a bit rough, but... it can be attempted if your really keen on it

What I'm more worried about is the fact that guild leaders have so much say in things.

A) Many guild leaders don't know what they're doing

B) Many guild leaders do not enforce roleplaying at all... in fact, in many guilds the leaders are the only ones I see roleplay...

I like roleplaying - I do... but so far Funcom has given me no way, reason to do it. We need more than clubs, and people who want to play solo, for roleplaying reasons, should be able to affect the story, politically, not just guild leaders. I've thought of getting 6 people to make a guild, then log on 7 characters get them in to the guild and have my own... just so I can affect things...

Problem is, so many people don't roleplay that it's impossible to try and give ideas to what's going on... Honestly, this game has a great idea behind it, but until everyone is ready to roleplay - sorry hack n slashers - it shouldn't be done...

Understand that everyone and their brother cannot be "part of the story" as it were. You can do your part of the story by doing missions (read the text, eh?) and going to political zones to kill clan members. The story isn't all GM events and amazing battles - the story is also the environment that you "live" in on Rubi-Ka. Just listen to the loud speakers in OMNI1 or any OMNI city about how OMNI-Tek is so great... do you get that as a daily action in any other game?

If that doesn't convince you, think about Star Wars (I hope you're familiar). This is a very similar story line - some big Empire (AO = Corporation) has some issues then some Rebels start to band together (AO = clans) and the big issue starts. Consider yourself some peon stormtrooper or rebel trooper at the lower levels (still doing their part in the greater battle mind you) and a commander or faction member making decisions at higher levels. Now, of course there are always exceptions to this - but think of it like that.

Another fact of the matter is - the people that have the higher level characters are generally more devoted to the game from all aspects so they tend to try harder to be heard.
    General Mege
    Minister of Political Affairs
    M.O.T.H.E.R.
    Mobile OMNI-Tek Heavy Emergency Response
    --
    Mege - Atrox Union Man
    Meger - Atrox Worker
    --
    Our alliance already has a name - OMNI-Tek.

Waiko, if you wonna join a guild that DOES role-play, than consider Blade Corp. Role-playing is what we're all about. Sure we have a few members who don't RP, but they stay at the bottom of the chain of command. THose that do role-play make it to the top.

mege, you brought up a few good points, but here is something to consider. I really like your Star Wars analogy. However, what about Luke Skywalker? How can I be one in AO? The answer is you can't unless you're GM driven NPC (like Eleena Oak).

Also I must disagree that those who are higher level are more devoted to the game. I have been playing since the third day AO came out. I have put lots of tme into the game and very much devoted to it. Yet, I am only level 25. Why? Simply because out of all the time that I play I spend majority of the time in meetings, talking with other people, dance clubs, whatever. Going around killing stuff simply doesn't interest me. I am sure there are many others like me out there. That's called RPing!
    Major Shadowolf Marone
    Blade Corp
    Position - CEO
    Rank - Major

Personal quote:

Film director extraordinairre RandaZ's Avatar

Like-minded RPers?

RPing... ripping? rrr...peeing?? err... huh?

Just kidding. I whole heartedly agree with Mege. There's more to life on Rubi-Ka than trying to be in the ground-war to end all ground wars. Nor is it simply trying to be on the front page of RNN or the community news page every single day.

However, I'm going to have to disagree with both Shadowolf and Mege on the point that higher level characters are more devoted to roleplaying. Dedication to role playing is irrespective of what level you are. I know good roleplayers who are 60, 32, 2, whatever. I myself am 59 and rising fast, but I see that as having little or no bearing on who I am... for those who don't know me, I'm Tappert Solminski, tailor of Rome-Blue.

Chances are, there will be a lot of Non-RPing number crunchers that are lvl 150+ by now, but that doesn't mean every high level character is a non-rper or not as devoated to RPing. The same is true for low levels... there are a lot of incoming number crunchers as well, so the level as a measure of RPing capability is meaningless...

So where does that leave us? Well, going back to why level requirements are imposed on Funcom story events... considering that so far, those dungeons are kill kill kill type of events, be glad that they did impose a restriction. Consider it as your friendly Omni-Tek recruiter telling you that... "no sonny, you'll just get yourself killed in there. I won't be a part of that suicide mission of yours." Aside from there, there's little or no RPing involved.. so don't get too worked up about that.

But remember, they have other non-level restricted events such as meetings, rallys, etc that'll actually have more influence on the overall story than some god-forsaken dungeon that instakills people who zone in :P

And now for the shameless plug, if you're really honestly interested in roleplaying, I suggest you check out RP Central. We're a group of AO players that came together when they locked this forum. Some of us are starting player created RP events/missions that hopefully will give Rubi-Ka more than a one-dimensional feel (I mean in terms of something other than bash bash kill kill). Check it out.

Tappert
    Slotine Zembower
    R.U.R. Member (RK1)

Tappert Solminski
    Tailor of Rome-Blue (RK1) [currently MIA]

Re: Like-minded RPers?

Originally posted by Tappert
    However, I'm going to have to disagree with both Shadowolf and Mege on the point that higher level characters are more devoted to roleplaying.
    Err, when did I say anything like that? I am afraid there was a missconfusion, so just o clear things out I qoute myself:

Originally posted by Shadowolf
    Also I must disagree that those who are higher level are more devoted to the game. I have been playing since the third day AO came out. I have put lots of tme into the game and very much devoted to it. Yet, I am only level 25. Why? Simply because out of all the time that I play I spend majority of the time in meetings, talking with other people, dance clubs, whatever. Going around killing stuff simply doesn't interest me. I am sure there are many others like me out there. That's called RPing!
    Hope this clear things out a bit. I never, in any shape or form, stated that those who are higher level are more devoted to the game and/or role-playing. I clearcly stated that person level has either no indication of their devotion to role-playing or opposite (the higher the level the less devotion as more time spent killing stuff).
    Major Shadowolf Marone
    Blade Corp
    Position - CEO
    Rank - Major

Personal quote: