Thread: It got me thinking...

It got me thinking...

OOC -

Okay you have events.
    Back in the day event were usually people wanting to have a Omni vs. Clan.

This is what I SEE spammed in the chat constantly, I want Clanners to fight, In OOC...Ah cmon where are the clanners!

This anoys me, I truly do hate people wanting it to be a "Red VS Blue"

And YAH! This is a follow up from you know who you are thread.

Now that "WE ALL" And some people dont reliase this yet, but now WE ALL! ALL OF US Have an enemy to fight ...OH please...Okay mr.player who plays and doesnt read the story or anything.... What is it?

Q: Who is the enemy we all fight?
    Cloudeh: Dear..God *Clenches fist" The dust Brigade!

Now...
    When I made a Char on Rubi-ka 2 with my friend becuase he doesnt like rk1, too laggy he says, I was helping him learn thegame, getting items and stuff, showing him the basics.
    The Dust Brigade attacks 2ok..So much for the people saying k2 has no events you lie :P

Me" Cloudeh" level 8 Engineer and my friend "Suismedi"Lvl 8 Doctor had some fun, even tho we really where no help, my friend was awed, he liked it.

But people saying Quotes such as;

Neutral Player " Cmon you neutrals, Kill these Omni scum!"

Or the Clanners going " Hahaha We are powerful you will die"

Now, what really got me ...

Neutrals are wanting to stay out, for Role playing sakes why are neuts saying Die omni scum!

This Neut thought the Dust Brigade was on thier side.

Alot of people told him to shut up and well...most of them where saying what I was.

People saying "OH come on this guy wont Die" Is really pissing me off.

Or "This is a waste of time im outta here"

I told you...
    There has been 3 mini events so far with the ..no 4 with the dust Brigade.

And Can I say..... YES.. Clanners and Omni and I saw ONE Neutral attack the Dust bridgade.

Who ever you are, great work you people are good.
    I did hear one clanner shout, Omni...I and the clans shall help you.

I even shouted out, FOR GOD SAKES, OMNI..CLAN..Stop your whining and differences and HELP, HERE AND NOW, PROVE IT.

Scene 1:

If 2ok was a 0% zone and the dust brigade attacked, how many "counter -strike" Player would attack the opposite side?"

Gets you thinking huh?

I really do hate people SPLURTING out crap saying oh who cares I play for fun.
    Yeah me too but your spoiling it for everyone.

I got told to grow up when I shouted "The Masked figure is down, Search the perimiter".

What happened to role play? and uh...after that there was a DB Commando outside, tee hee.

Please, Read the story, know whats going on.....play with it, you can make a difference if you do it big but really.
    Just play along ok.

OOC-
    I forsee the the Great Alliance of Clans and the Empire of Omni-tek joining forces to bring doom to those shadowing horrors called the "Dust Brigade"

The two great powers fought many a battle together, lesser than for but against, if you understand. The time comes when history repeats as does birth and death, it will happen again, (OOC- Just Play along with it and have a good time")

Keep the fan mail comin!

We're fighting a losing battle Cloudeh.

Most players are broken, yet again what might have been has been let down by the dregs of humanity, and also by the incompetence of Funcom.

Despite this game having only been going a little over 6 months, its already developed a horrible hollow feeling, to the point where I think most people have given up caring.

Personally I'm sick of trying to build something out of this game, I tried hard as one of the leaders within Div9 to get something to happen, but we were let down by Funcom and by the stupidty of many of the players.

It became obvious that it was pointless, so I quit Div9 and now I may even quit AO all together.

So now we pass the time, waiting for the next game to come out and hoping beyond hope that maybe, just maybe they will get it right.

Its probably the impossible dream, a MMORPG which rises above the simplistic button pushers and quakeheads. Free of dOOds etc.

And even though I know games like SWG will be no different in terms of playerbase, at least I'll know the company behind the game is going to be professional.

1 out of 2 has got to be an improvement over this mess.
    Ye Olde and Original Founding is BACK !

Australian Timezone - RK1

I like when Cloudeh has to complain, because its what I feel. The idiots saying they play for fun, right. I'm playing for fun too, and anything that comes with a good story, companionship, love, the sense of belonging. Okay, So I've got 3 things against 1.
    " I play for fun!" says the newbie.
    " So do I." Says the RPer.
    " Then let me have fun"
    " I also play to belong to a community."
    " I play, just for fun."
    " I also play to forge new friendships."
    " I'm a newbie so I can't understand that yor reasons are better than mine, but since I don't understand it I must ruin it! Death to the Omni Scum!"
    "Aren't you Omni?"
    " I told you I play for fun!"

Thats what talking gets you. Its an even 3:1 against the RPers. Look at the amount of people who play AO everyday and how many that post here. I believe I've killed my 3:1, maybe, 8:1. Then there are the idiots on these boards...16:1? I dunno, but RPing can only survive on a pure RP server, like one my friend hosts for UO (Ultima Online). Those were the good ol' RPing days. I vote make RK2 a RP only server, because it seems the RPers are more prominent there. I'm gonna start a guy on RK2 soon, but until then, kill the CS newbies!! They wouldn't know how to roleplay even if you told them to RP as "Themselves."
    -- Falling never killed anyone, its always the landing.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    RK-1
    |OT|
    Telgi-61 Solitus Enforcer
    Gauf-31 Nanomage Doctor
    Saruzi- -=128=- Opifex Nano-Technician.
    Manstien-44 Solitus Soldier

point, but

Watch out for Rollplayers Ego. I do some RPing and enjoy it. But the egotistical elitist attitude is a bad idea. People are just having fun, and you need to learn to deal with them instead of whining.

Seeing what I do, a RP only server would be way to pretentious for me, thanks. I'd rather have people around who can let go.

OOC

I agree with all your complaints against non-RPing d00dz, but as far as the Omni/Clans conflict goes, it *is* the center of the game, you must admit. I am new to the game, so I guess I haven't grown tired of it, but to me it's one of the attractions. I like political conflict and strife (in a role-playing context, that is) and I think it can generate excellent RP opportunities. I think that Funcom would do better to provide interesting twists and developments in the Clans/Omni war, instead of throw all that out for some deus ex machina that makes clan and Omni come together and be friends. I would call that the "Independence Day" solution (after the movie).
    Numi7, Omni-Tech Employee
    Solitus Engineer
    Division 3 [Omni Reclamation]
    RK2

Re: OOC

Originally posted by FeloniousPunk
    I agree with all your complaints against non-RPing d00dz, but as far as the Omni/Clans conflict goes, it *is* the center of the game, you must admit. I am new to the game, so I guess I haven't grown tired of it, but to me it's one of the attractions. I like political conflict and strife (in a role-playing context, that is) and I think it can generate excellent RP opportunities. I think that Funcom would do better to provide interesting twists and developments in the Clans/Omni war, instead of throw all that out for some deus ex machina that makes clan and Omni come together and be friends. I would call that the "Independence Day" solution (after the movie).
    The Dust Brigade are accused of being clanners by omni, and show in game as neutrals - nobody knows WHO they are so, that is appropriate. It wouldn't surprise me if they are really omni sponsored... The ID solution presupposes they are neither omni or clan...

Cloudeh i apretiate your opinion concerning role playing....
    but u said: "Neutrals are wanting to stay out, for Role playing sakes why are neuts saying Die omni scum! "

Im neutral and i play this role playing multiplayer game, and do u think i dont wanna role play since im a neutral?
    Man you couldnt be more wrong, i play this game to role play, but i choose to be a neutral cause i dont have any opinion on wether go clan or omni...i have no reason for it yet.....but hey im role playoig and neutrals are a part of the game. U dont play a MMORPG if u dont wanna roleplay...

But whats the deal of Clanners and Omnis running around and yelling STFU and GET A LIFE in a in caracter channel??
    I bet there are more Clanners and Omnis that dont ever role play nor try or know how to do it than there are neutrals.....hey i dont even have to bet...i see it every day.

And u said: "This Neut thought the Dust Brigade was on thier side."

How do u know im not a part of the Dust Brigade?

When it comes to sides, neutral is no "side" thats why its called neutral......

and u said: Alot of people told him to shut up and well...most of them where saying what I was.

Btw: it was me who yelled....

U call yelling STFU and GET a LIFE as a replie to my statements for role playing??? noway man ....Use the OOC for that crap language....

You are not automaticly a role player if your a clanner or Omni....
    I see more clanners and omnis NOT role playing than i see neutrals....so

OOC-Cardolan no where did I say that.

This is what I said.
    Neutrals are wanting to stay out, for Role playing sakes why are neuts saying Die omni scum!

Where does that say neutrals dont roleplay?

Cardolan you have misread what I said can you please apologise?

Sorry if you got what I said wrong but please, Take away what you said.

PS. When can player be part of the dust brigade? I been shouting at the damn transport "BEAM ME UP! BEAM ME UP I WANNA JOIN YOU!"

-OOC
    Last edited by Cloudeh_; Feb 13th, 2002 at 12:03:26.

ahhahahaha u see im almost blind cause i crashed in my yal like 4 years ago....so there u have the reason for my misspelling also(click on my pic and u see the scars...and the mohawk is not a real mohawk...its the remains of my old yal's steering wheel and the doc cant remove it cause then ill die)
    Sorry Cloudeh!

OOC: I take it all back, but hey u dont know if im a part of the dust brigade.....make a neutral and u'll see :OOC
    Last edited by AO n00b; Feb 13th, 2002 at 17:12:29.

The impossible dream

Originally posted by Falcon
    We're fighting a losing battle Cloudeh.

Most players are broken, yet again what might have been has been let down by the dregs of humanity, and also by the incompetence of Funcom.

Despite this game having only been going a little over 6 months, its already developed a horrible hollow feeling, to the point where I think most people have given up caring.

Personally I'm sick of trying to build something out of this game, I tried hard as one of the leaders within Div9 to get something to happen, but we were let down by Funcom and by the stupidty of many of the players.

It became obvious that it was pointless, so I quit Div9 and now I may even quit AO all together.

So now we pass the time, waiting for the next game to come out and hoping beyond hope that maybe, just maybe they will get it right.

Its probably the impossible dream, a MMORPG which rises above the simplistic button pushers and quakeheads. Free of dOOds etc.

And even though I know games like SWG will be no different in terms of playerbase, at least I'll know the company behind the game is going to be professional.

1 out of 2 has got to be an improvement over this mess.
    I agree, players can't make a good roleplaying MMORPG without the help of the company and vice versa. It's a nasty, never-ending cycle.

I agree that it is the impossible dream, I've seen enough of the 1st generation MMORPGs to have a pretty good idea. I remember how psyched I was when I got into the Ultima Online beta:

"I love Ultima! Finally, a chance to RP there! With other people who enjoy it as much as I do!"

A month later the beta ends (a month long beta? No wonder there were/are so many bugs and cheats!) and the next week I'm assaulted by SuPaK1lla and his spiritual brothers enmass. The roleplaying community on UO thrashed around for a bit, became more active for time, and by now, I'm sure it has pretty much died out.

There can be more to playing this game (or any other MMORPG) than level, level, level ... the problem is, the average person does not know how to roleplay. It's not an easy thing for the average person to do. It means you have to be able to step in someone else's shoes, something that is very difficult for anyone to do. I'm just thankful I got started with dice and AD&D manuals at a young age. Roleplaying isn't used by psychologists (and by trusting lovers in the bedroom) for nothing ... it is a powerful tool that can teach you more about yourself and other people than most people have the guts or inclination to learn. It's a sobering event, learning that the world does not revolve around YOU. (It's also the beginning of true adulthood.)

A company can't make l33t d00ds into roleplayers. A company can only try to cater to the roleplayers, maybe try to find a way to lift l33ts to that next level by sucking them in, interesting them. Rest assured, if you don't want to roleplay, you won't. Or at least won't do it well. It is a learned skill, polished by practice. If saying that makes me elitist, so be it. True roleplayers are a whole other breed entirely from your average gamer. Imagination, empathy, acting ability, the ability to separate fantasy from reality, character from OOC.

MMORPGs have many interfaces to help RPers roleplay. Emotes, OOC channels, etc. But if you seriously want to roleplay, I suggest you get pen-and-paper, dice, and a gamemaster who will cater the experience to you and your fellow players, tell the story, interpret the rules, all real time. It's also a great way to get friends together and have a ball. No computer interface will ever replace true pen-and-paper roleplaying.

I enjoy this game thoroughly, I play it for many reasons, including the people I have met both in game and on these boards. When I tire of it, I will move on. I will try my best to make a difference, but in the end I'll probably be back, rolling up characters, drawing out maps, and preparing my friends for a new adventure in some dungeon somewhere.

"Have you ever tried to, step in my shoes?
    Have you ever tried to, balance that pain?
    Have you ever tried to, stand in my shoes?
    They'll never be quite as soft as they seem."

- Incubus, "Have You Ever" - from the album "Morning View"

Best regards, all!

- Sllaagor
    Clan - Atrox Enforcer

there is a saying,'you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it roleplay'

this game is what you make of it for the most part, BUT, there needs to be more of a reward for rp'ing and there needs to be better communication to the playerbase about it. I want to RP but as I am not in the closed circle of privleged people that know when something is going to happen, I am never involved in the events.
    Frelo - Level 29 Fixer (and loving every minute of it)

Anahata - Level 110 Solitus Trader
    Khephra - Level 6 Solitus Engineer
    Zaum - Level 8 Nanomage MP
    Merkaba715 - Level 50 Nanomage NT (Sleeping till NT's are fixed)
    Dimholt - Level 10 Atrox Enforcer
    Omni
    Rubi-Ka 1

'The only ones that see the end of war are the dead' - Plato