View Poll Results: Should numbers be accepted in character names?

Voters
464. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, leave it like it is

149 32.11%
  • No, stop people from using numbers in the names

315 67.89%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Numbers in in-game names?

No new nick names with numbers in them.

Keep active characters with numbers in them due to grandfather clause.

Do normal maintenance to free up existing names such as purge names of people who are have cancelled game N (6?) months or longer and especially those with accounts that have no characters above N (50?) level.

Problems with numbered names:
    1) L and 1 look too much alike. How many times have you tried to send a tell to someone trying to figure out what's a number and what's a name?

2) Unrealistic role play in these names for the most part. Yes I agree there are exceptions. The existing rule helps but it's utterly stupid to have peter1 peter2 peter13 etc., and l33t speak names kinda take away from the environment and make us look like IRC or a BBS or something.

-- Munkeezon
    Active chars:
    My Shade MunkeeShrike - Named for a Bird with the habit of catching other birds and small animals and impaling the uneaten portions of their bodies on thorns - of the Huge, Inc. family.
    Munkeezon - of The Dojo
    Munkeezon & Alts on Testlive - of The Bratpack

Fellow Shade? Creep over to us in the Shadows

My opinion

In some cases number actually make sense in nicks. On the other hand, numbers can be a disaster to the game atmosphere.

I would suggest that numbers where not alowed at char creation. If you for some reason have a RP reason or the number would give a killer nickname, we do have the namechange petition. And then someone would actually screen that namechange and remove the "bad" uses of numbers in nicknames

Originally posted by Munkeezon
    1) L and 1 look too much alike. How many times have you tried to send a tell to someone trying to figure out what's a number and what's a name?
    Zero, because I figured out how to use the little info window before I started to send tells to complete strangers.

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.
    Are you having an argument on the internet, again?

Gene13 - on a space odyssey since 2001
    XXX - N

Some day your ship will come in, but you will be at the airport.

Please also prevent the use of "Fix", "Fixer" or "Nerf" in names. If your gonna stop people from using numbers why not prevent them from using all the stupid names. Seeing names like "Gankmonkey" "Nerfmepls" and "AnotherFixerClone" are more annoying than seeing John23.

example:

If I had built a repuation using the name 'Daredevil' and some wanker decided to run around calling himself 'Daredevi1' .. yeah, that would annoy me. I would even go so far as to call that harrasment. I have seen this ingame.

also:

Once, when characters shared the creation room, I played a joke on some strangers. I would make the ugliest character I could, then wait by the nameing machine. As soon as 'Charname' picked his name, I would name myself 'Charname2'. When they saw this, most got quite upset. Why? Because in a MMORPG, your unique identity is important. (I had a 'lol' and then told them I'd delete the toon.)

of course, FC should have thought of this before release,
    and I really don't know what they can do about it now.

Well, I despise numbers in names and it's one the most irritating things in the game right now. Seriously dilutes the value of the game for me. Actually could be one of the factors in deciding to leave. So for some people it actually is that big of a thing.

On the other hand, I absolutely don't mind if someone has a reason for a number such as Stomper2000. I would be annoyed to see the name in-game, but if I got an explanation, I'd be cool with it.

I would think that if anybody actually _wanted_ a number in their name, that they should be allowed to /petition for it. That would be what? 8 people?

Better accomodation of the _real_ names (Joe "Mnemo" Wyles) might help. My name is 'Joe'.

Even worse is all the idiots who couldn't come up with a name and decided to call themselves Fixxxxer, Ifixjoo, Fixitall, Bigfixer, Enfdude.

And my personal favorite wandering RK with a copyrighted name, Jarjarbinks.

I've seen so many characters fresh out of creation over the last few months that managed to come up with a name that was original without having to resort to nonsense. Makes me wonder if those who give up are really trying that hard.

(a little irony: In real life a nickname is something you are given by someone else, but not something you choose.)

anyways,

It boils down to this. If you take away the ability to add numbers you are limiting a players creativity.
    There are numbers in nicknames becuse that's the same way it is in real life:

"the 44. caliber killer" - David Berkowitz(son of Sam)

NO player has the right to stifle another when they both pay the same monthly fee for AO. So why is Funcom even asking players? The system is fine as it is.
    Why try to limit it? I thought Funcom was trying to avoid limiting (nerfing) features. Don't try to fix something that isn't broken.

If some new player wants to be Phixxorr666, then so be it. They paid their monthly fee so they get to play however they feel like playing regardless of whether or not I like their style.

The players that are whining about "roleplaying" are just pathetic. Who's to say that 26000 years into the future people dont use numbers in their names? I'm sure that it's hard to have a unique name after 150,000 years worth of humans have chosen names before you. Also, cloning would be an ancient science by then so Bob1 and Bob2 would be just fine.

(and) It beats those stupid everquest names players use!
    RK2
    Qwikz - HUGE Inc.

"I should get one of those signs that says "One of these days I'm gonna get organezized".

Oh Yes please stop it .

Ao is a mmorpg and there is no reason for people have number in there nickname , if they will have a join with their other char they can use the last or the first name to show it .

And for theme who already have a number in thei name, change 1 by A , 2 by B etc . We will laugh a lot

But i agre with the fact that you need prevents to have sommes worl like gimp, gank , noob ... in nickname .

I can't imagine how people can't have no imagination
    Que les Anges vous protegent ...

Originally posted by munn
    Oh Yes please stop it .

Ao is a mmorpg and there is no reason for people have number in there nickname , if they will have a join with their other char they can use the last or the first name to show it .

And for theme who already have a number in thei name, change 1 by A , 2 by B etc . We will laugh a lot

But i agre with the fact that you need prevents to have sommes worl like gimp, gank , noob ... in nickname .

Agreed! It looks nicer if you see different names with no numbers.
    Characters on Atlantean
    Main Character: Ardoyt Former Rubi-Ka Citizen and Former Omni-Admin Employee
    Characters on Rimor
    Deleted
    Anarchy Online Related Stuff
    Former AO Stratics News and "The Community Says" Reporter
    The Death of Ardoyt

Shoot me please.

I am totally and completely and utterly confused by this. Why are you (CZ, Funcom, whoever) wasting anyone's time? Who gives a flying **** about the use of numbers in someone's name? Why even bring it up? Please tell me there is a logical and reasonable explaination for not just wanting to remove the numbers but even caring about them in the first place. You told someone on another forum that you loved his idea but you all were too overworked and so you wouldn't even bring it to the developers. Yet here we have a poll around something as rediculous as whether or not to allow numbers.

However, I did vote and I do have an opinion. Yes, they should be allowed. I don't care what someone chooses for their name.

Thanks. Have a good day.

Originally posted by munn

I could take this from one player, and if this is you Jisun I apologize. If not, get a *etc clue. In many many cases it's not about not having the ability to make up another name. It's about not wanting to get another name.

And CarLBanks, if we're aiming for a game that looks nicer they should remove that avatar you're using. Christ, get a haircut.

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.

XXX - N

Cz said earlier not to make bad comments about someone's suggestion and not to take a jab at it either!
    Characters on Atlantean
    Characters on Rimor
    Deleted
    The Death of Ardoyt

Originally posted by CarLBanks
    Cz said earlier not to make bad comments about someone's suggestion and not to take a jab at it either!
    Yeah, I just wanted to point out that munn was wrong in assuming that names with numbers comes from people that lack the imagination to make up one w/o numbers.

Btw, if you really care about what Cz says you should go read the guidelines again. You're spamming.

/G13
    pirates. with lasers.

XXX - N

I'm not spamming! I don't ever mean to spam!
    Characters on Atlantean
    Characters on Rimor
    Deleted
    The Death of Ardoyt

Originally posted by CarLBanks
    I'm not spamming! I don't ever mean to spam!
    Examples of spamming include posting the same information repeatedly, or in several forums
    /G13
    pirates. with lasers.

XXX - N

Unhappy Numbers in Namer

I dont think that numbers in names is very cool. Idont like seeing all the Alpha1574 and stuff, and i think those people that had to have thier name changed to default XXX sould get to pick a new name. Numbers in names might be good for robos but not people. if its your second carictor try alphaJR or something

OMG, I cannot believe this argument has gone on as long as it has!!!!

The opinion that names in them aren't as creative as those without is just that, personal opinion. I have a character named Aeriss1, and I like the first part and don't believe the "1" following it detracts from the first part at all. Following the present argument, Aeriss would show my creativity at work, while Aeriss1 shows that I have none???!!!!!

Let's follow this some more. The present argument means that names of, oh.......let's take books, are lessened by the inclusion of numbers. Bat 13 is less creative than Abbot and Costello meet the Mummy *grin*, 13 Monkeys is less creative than Flipper, and Fahrenheit 451 and THX 1138 are less creative than Earth Girls are Easy. I don't THINK so.

By the way, notice that several of the last few titles had to do with SciFi sorts of stories? The inclusion of numbers into names fits grandly into the scifi genre. And as for folks who believe that it will make it seem like it is a MMOPG if we allow numbers in names...................*assumes bestus bedside manner here, for those in fragile conditions*........it is a MMORPG, get used to it, deal with it, don't confuse it with real life.

Civil liberties *yah, even in make believe worlds* are indivisible.........we either have them (all of us), or none of us has them at all. I think a name like Aeriss1, and Gene13 (it rhymes, so there ought to at least be a half English credit in there somewhere lol) and the rest are just fine, and I think names like Bubba289378 are silly. For me to have the right to assume my name, I have to allow others to take what they feel are cool names and use them as well. I am advised to keep my subjective opinions about the creative potential of others to myself, and so Aeriss1 and Bubba289378 get to peacefully coexist.

Please, please don't let the personal dislike of one person (and while I do support your right to voice such, I resist allowing it to dictate rules for the rest of us) turn into a dictate that detracts from peoples' right to select the names they feel suit their character best.
    Keep on keepin' on!

quote: ""Please also prevent the use of "Fix", "Fixer" or "Nerf" in names. If your gonna stop people from using numbers why not prevent them from using all the stupid names. Seeing names like "Gankmonkey" "Nerfmepls" and "AnotherFixerClone" are more annoying than seeing John23.""

"....stupid names...." Yes, I agree, we all prolly know what we all mean by "stupid names". But I suggest it gets very tricky when someone or some body begins to set itself up to decide what is stupid/unrealistic/improper/illegal for everyone else.

Yah, yah, don't even start.........I don't mean laws of the land sorts of stuff. I mean like which books aren't suitable for me to read (hey, that's my call, not yours), how I name my child (and although I think Mary Twinkletoes would be a horrid thing to do to a child, I will fight for someone's right to select it), and any of the list of MANY things that small groups try to decide for the larger majority.

Personally, I abhore the use of "fix" anything in a fixers name. But ya know, it just wasn't my call, and so I don't let it bother me. I might wonder about the person's motivation for using such an uninspired name, but I don't let it bother me, and I certainly wouldn't petition to take away their right to aspire to what, IN MY OPINION, is a mediocre name.

Again, let's please take all this energy and spend it somewhere where the quality of the game is improved, and numbers in names surely isn't going to be the issue that defines improved quality.
    Keep on keepin' on!

Vallikat stands and applauds Lyandri

Preach on sistah!
    Cathryn "Vallikat" Thompon

Your queen of muffiny goodness!
    Director - Gridstream Productions --->Tune In Here

Member, GSP Dancers

Gunney: Lissunin ta GSP mayukz me wanna play... wut bettah reezun duz enee wun need?

After all, we're living in a world where people are created, not born, and the names with numbers sort of go along with that feel.
    Exactly!

What about THX1138?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast