Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternate reality?

Savoy, they have a game like the one you describe, scary thing is it's in RL, not VL.

"Reality is a crutch for those that can't face up to a good fantasy."

-Shuldrich

Read the book Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. That's exactly what AO is for me.

Literally "living" on Rubi-Ka is not an option for me, and I have no inaccessible wishes to change that. But I live there, nonetheless. Whenever I have the time in RL and nothing pressing to tend to, I allow Tarryk to use that time...because he has many equally pressing things to tend to. That's just the way it is.

In many ways, AO is a parallel reality to our own. I try not to look much deeper than that. I like the balance I draw out between the two, and I love my experiences in both worlds, RL and AO. I wouldn't change a thing.

(save for a decent couch in my apartment...on both worlds...).
    --The connections that enable us to learn are infinitely more important than our state of knowing.

RUBI KA

I'd sure love to chase my little nanomage women around and taste their feet for myself instead of licking my own feet while playing and imagining it's a nanomage woman's feet.
    Nanomage: The OTHER other white meat

OOC

Difficult question at best. I would say I would not mind...a.."Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe", kind of existense. Where both are equally "real" and you can somewhat choose to go into either reality. I mean..on RK...I'm a guild leader, fairly well known...sometimes respected and thought well of. In RL...I'm just..me. Another face in the crowd. I don't dislike my RL, but it is mundane. RK life I can do and be things...that would be difficult at best to parralel in RL. I can theoretically become a leader of an army, or a CEO big tradeing corportaion or a leader of a crime familiy..or a master spy on RK. Things that, are also possible in RL, but much more difficult to achieve.
    Last edited by Vixentrox; Mar 7th, 2003 at 19:04:20.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

I'd sure love to chase my little nanomage women around and taste their feet for myself instead of licking my own feet while playing and imagining it's a nanomage woman's feet.
    If you're flexible enough to lick your own feet, you could be flexible enough to lick other parts of your body and have even more fun playing and imagining. Just a thought.

Originally posted by Demenzia

((And that's what makes life so worthy...
    If we could reclaim at - almost - will, it'd lose all its true meaning...))
    ((I guess it all depends on how you look at it. I agree life is special and worthy, and I don't want to lose it. The problem with that is, because its so worthwhile, I don't take any unnecessary risks. In an AO universe the level of courage is greater and there is less of a risk because of the 99% chance of being reclaimed.))

((True, but would people really take the risks, in the end?

When Man has no challenge, Man grows lazy. I can't prevent myself from thinking to the City of the Immortals, in one of Tanith Lee's Flat-Earth books. All the greatest human minds, given the Gift of Immortality. And what do they do in the end? They do'nt create masterpieces anymore... they simply 'are', because there isn't any challenge left, such as 'I want to leave something GREAT behind me before I die'.

This is a book, but given the amount of wooonderful things many people are able to achieve when they're in holidays or at home without a long time *ironic grin* I don't doubt anymore that it could be true. We behave differently in the game, because we know it's a game, and if we're tired of our toons, we just have to turn the comp of and go hang out with riends or whatever. But I'm pretty convinced that if we were to live in such an 'exciting world'... in the end, people wouldn't do anything that would make them get out of their little habits.

... I think I should stop drinking beer in front of my comp - and my 2-cents philosophy with it )
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

((interesting question. I'd prolly say RK because I'd never have to worry about death. I wouldn't be getting killed all the time because I wouldn't be killing stuff. Only reason I do now is for Pit Lizard, which I reckon I could execute without killing millions of things if AO were real life. Plus I can actually do stuff in RK politics, can't too much in RL And not that I don't like RL, but on a day to day basis, its boring. I would need a better AO flat though ))
    Bliqz: "anything Uwen says is a vicious and ugly lie"

((First Thought: OHMYGOD HOLY SHEET YOU BET YOUR ARSE YES.

Second Thought: Welllll...I'm kinda allergic to pain. Dying would suck.

Third Thought: I wanna go back and forth.))
    ~~~~~
    Katelin "Missmaul" Locknane -Sloooowly climbing her way out of the dank pits of gimpness. But stil crazy. Ya know...just in case you cared.

Originally posted by MissMaul
    ((First Thought: OHMYGOD HOLY SHEET YOU BET YOUR ARSE YES.

Second Thought: Welllll...I'm kinda allergic to pain. Dying would suck.

Third Thought: I wanna go back and forth.))
    ((Just don't go out killing stuff. hard to die if you spend all your time in a 100% zone ))

Originally posted by Uwen

((Just don't go out killing stuff. hard to die if you spend all your time in a 100% zone ))
    ((Well almost. Remember that suppression gas only keeps people(and things) from attacking you. You could still get hit by a bus, drown in whipped cream, or choke on a pie. The Insurance system is still there though. It must be a great relief to most folks on Rubi-Ka. I imagine people that have lived their lives protected by insurance feel a lot of paranoia traveling off world because then permanent death becomes a reality.

Anyway, to answer the question. On RK I have millions of credits, I'm popular(well not Tarryk-popular but more popular than in RL), and I am a Nobel-prize winning Engineer.....so where do you think I would rather be??? ^_^ ))
    Last edited by Lyricia; Mar 8th, 2003 at 02:39:17.
    Advisor of First Light
    Tradeskill How-To's, Engineer Profession Guides, and Jello Wrestling at The Tir School of Engineering
    Confused by Alien Tech? Check out my Alien Invasion Guides

New to Engineering? Try HighOrbit's Engineer Guide. Thanks HighOrbit

Originally posted by Savoy
    Oh, but if you were on Rubi-Ka, you'd get to play this awesome computer game set on 21st century Earth in which people get own with their lives, looking after thier carreers, families, kids perhaps... Yeah I know it doesn't sound like much when you describe it, but it's really addictive!
    They still play The Sims 30,000 years in the future? :P
    Atvar
    Board member of the Peewee Avengers

Originally posted by Lyricia

((Well almost. Remember that suppression gas only keeps people(and things) from attacking you. You could still get hit by a bus, drown in whipped cream, or choke on a pie. The Insurance system is still there though. It must be a great relief to most folks on Rubi-Ka. I imagine people that have lived their lives protected by insurance feel a lot of paranoia traveling off world because then permanent death becomes a reality.

Anyway, to answer the question. On RK I have millions of credits, I'm popular(well not Tarryk-popular but more popular than in RL), and I am a Nobel-prize winning Engineer.....so where do you think I would rather be??? ^_^ ))
    ((hmmm... I could jump off buldings and in front of buses and come back.... Drown in whipped cream? Sounds kinky. Choke on pie? Occupational hazard I'm sure. Definitely RK ))

((IC and OOC i dont like Rubi-Ka. I wont go into detail why. So i'd never want to live on it. Would i want to live in the AO universe? hmm...let me think about that one...HELL NO.))
    Alex Neboja Graveheart

Assault Corps, cpl of Omni-Pol

------------------------------------------------

Angelus IceKing Anasazi

"I'm an Enforcer, my motto is simple. Hit, stick, bust d***...and talk ****, and what? Talk ****, and what? Talk ****!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12