Thread: OOC: When does the lease expire?

OOC: When does the lease expire?

Many recent 'in character' posts regarding the lease have all stated that Omni-Tek's lease expires in approximately 25 years. However, time line shows the lease expires on 29,550 which is 71 years from now.

Realize that the ICC limited the lease to 29,500, but then moved the lease back to 29,550 after Omni-Tek's protest. Thus, expiring 71 years from current Rubi-Ka time.

The second bit of contradicting information states that Sol Banking Corporation "is allowed to buy limited interests on Rubi-Ka starting January 1, 29500." Does this mean Omni-Tek's lease expires on 29,500? Certainly not. This means the planet will have two lease holders. One being Omni-Tek as the majority lease holder, and Sol Banking Corp. being a limited lease holder if they decide to purchase limited interest.

Thoughts?

January 01 28708 A thousand year lease on Rubi-Ka is signed and authorised. The ICC registers no contenders to the lease. Rubi-Ka is considered a barren and unusable resource, far removed from transportation channels; expensive, distant, dead, and bombarded by dangerous levels of radiation from twin suns.

January 18 29444 As part of the cross-corporate penalties affecting all ICC member-corporations, Omni-Tek's lease on Rubi-Ka is severely reduced. It now expires on January 1, 29500.

March 13 29444 ICC and Omni-Tek agree to extend the lease to January 1. 29550, with an option to extend it further if OT complies with all future ICC rulings.

March 15 29444 Sol Banking Corporation lodges a formal complaint against the ICC for favouritism, and moves for the ICC board to be suspended. The motion is immediately denied, but Sol is allowed to buy limited interests on Rubi-Ka starting January 1, 29500.

I'm not sure what it means, but I like bankers about as much as rollerrats and look forward to shooting a bunch of them.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

I think the information isnt contradicting. It sounds like we are being set up for another war. When SBC begins to purchase interests 50 years before OT's lease is up that would cause conflicts. I suspect this may have something to do with the booster pack that is coming out allowing us to create towns and such thereby establishing their interests on Rubi-Ka. Dont know for sure, but it may be SBC that helps us create these towns. Sounds pretty interesting.

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

It sounds as if, in 29500, OMNI will be required to sub-lease some parts of Rubi-Ka to SBC. As to how the ICC will determine what "limited interests" OMNI will be forced to give SBC access to is a guess.

It would be very intersting to see a SBC faction be introduced, thus giving us a three way conflict over Rubi-Ka (assuming Neutrals continue to consider themselves as a non-faction). How many OMNI employees would move to SBC, especially if the corp came in waving some nice incentives to leave OMNI employment? Considering SBC would only have limited rights and, in a probability, would be trying to position themselves (and their forces) to better take advantage of OMNI lease ending in 29550, the conflict could take on some very interesting twists. Would SBC try to dominate the new Shadowlands, using it's unusual Notum (from what I understand) as leverage against OMNI. Would they be Clan friendly or agressive giving the Clans a fight on two fronts?

You bring up an interesting point with some very interesting possibilties.

We are already in negotiations with SBC to sublet Tir so that they can construct a mini mall complete with a Rossie Cheese.
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

LOL!!!

Originally posted by Nevver
    We are already in negotiations with SBC to sublet Tir so that they can construct a mini mall complete with a Rossie Cheese.
    Mmmmm.... cheese.....
    Bliqz: "anything Uwen says is a vicious and ugly lie"

Fixerben beholds the Power of Cheese as it destroys Tir.

Originally posted by Uwen

Mmmmm.... cheese.....
    /tell Helpbot whois Nevver
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

(( "Contradicting" was the wrong choice of word. The paragraph was meant to explain why people think 21 years versus 71 years, and why their conclusion might not be 100% accurate.

As we all know, SBC has been used numerous times in the story already. As far as SBC comming into the crux any time soon. Not possible given that the story is suppose to end before we reach 29,500, and I don't think the story will leap ahead 21 years to reach that point before the story ends. This is not to say Funcom won't, or can't, think of some other creative way to introduce SBC into the crux, ahead of schedule.

All that aside, the primary issue is 21 or 71 years, which everyone has strayed away from. ))

Originally posted by Cemetarygate
    ((I don't think the story will leap ahead 21 years to reach that point before the story ends. This is not to say Funcom won't, or can't, think of some other creative way to introduce SBC into the crux, ahead of schedule. ))
    ((One thing I've never looked at is how the time line moves along in relation to actual time. I'm assuming that we're talking about Rubi Ka years and I have no idea how long of period of time that is. So, if that isn't already established, it might be possible to move things along at a faster real time pace.))
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Originally posted by Nevver
    ((One thing I've never looked at is how the time line moves along in relation to actual time. I'm assuming that we're talking about Rubi Ka years and I have no idea how long of period of time that is. So, if that isn't already established, it might be possible to move things along at a faster real time pace.))
    (( Interesting point. Makes me think of how quickly night and day pass, and the little game clock in the right corner moves, in comparrison to real time.

That aside, days, months and years seem to move in relation to actual time. That is, today is Thursday, March 06 2003 (in my time zone) and is Thursday, March 06 29,477 RST. Tomorrow will be March 07, 2003 real time, while RK will be March 07, 29,477. The game (days/months/years) have not yet moved any quicker, since launch, than real time, and I don't think it will. Again, not saying Funcom won't, or can't, decide to move game time up a few years. ))

edit : (( So, I agree. It's entirely possible for things to move along quick, they simply havn't yet. ))
    Last edited by Cemetarygate; Mar 6th, 2003 at 18:38:25.

Well since the year on RK changed at the same time as the year in RL did I would assume that each RL year is 1 RK year. And since every RL hour is 1 RK day. Lets do the math to see how many days are in a RK Year.

24 RK Days in 1 RL Day

168 RK Days in 1 RL week

Roughyl 672 Days in 1 RL Month

8064 RK Days in 1 RL year

Seems real odd. But that is my understanding of the time related to RL. And how we are to get from 71 to 21 years, I have no clue. Maybe that will be explained in the Shadowlands.

(( OOC:

It appears that someone somewhere said the Omni-Tek lease expires on 29500, and no one ever really challenged it. Until Now. You have the info in front of you, so why ask others what they think? It clearly states the lease expires on 29550, and that the SBC can start sub-leasing in 29500. But me thinks that it'll all change anyway once the Shadowlands are opened to us. I have a feeling the ICC will break the lease with Omni-Tek and we'll get the war that so far hasn't really materialized))

Originally posted by Fixerben
    Well since the year on RK changed at the same time as the year in RL did I would assume that each RL year is 1 RK year. And since every RL hour is 1 RK day. Lets do the math to see how many days are in a RK Year.

24 RK Days in 1 RL Day

168 RK Days in 1 RL week

Roughyl 672 Days in 1 RL Month

8064 RK Days in 1 RL year
    (( Huh? ))

Originally posted by Fixerben
    Seems real odd. But that is my understanding of the time related to RL. And how we are to get from 71 to 21 years, I have no clue. Maybe that will be explained in the Shadowlands.
    (( Suppose to be 73 and 23. Error on my part.

73 years arrives from subtracting the current year 29,477 from 29, 550, the lease expiration date.

23 years arrived from subtracting the current year 29,477 from 29,500, the limited lease purchase date. ))

Originally posted by Tifanyx
    (( OOC:

It appears that someone somewhere said the Omni-Tek lease expires on 29500, and no one ever really challenged it. Until Now. You have the info in front of you, so why ask others what they think? It clearly states the lease expires on 29550, and that the SBC can start sub-leasing in 29500. But me thinks that it'll all change anyway once the Shadowlands are opened to us. I have a feeling the ICC will break the lease with Omni-Tek and we'll get the war that so far hasn't really materialized))
    (( I thought maybe there was something I missed, considering the entire RP community was using 29,500. ))

((OOC:

To clarify a bit, SBC won't sublease post-29500, they will PURCHASE outright.

Think about it this way: under the communist regime in the Soviet Union in the middle/latter-middle of the 20th century, ALL property was government owned and controlled (i.e., "owned" by all of society by its representatives). When the Soviet market was liberalized under Gorbachev, private ownership finally became possible, at market rates.

Now, on Rubi-Ka, Omni-Tek owns NOTHING. It is leased out to Omni-Tek by the ICC in accordance with the ICC's mandate. This lease is exclusive insofar as the control of land is concerned. However, other corporations are currently allowed to own business establishments - just think Miir and Bronto Burger. Now, this might be with OT's acquiescence, but it might be "free market", as well. Also, SBC products are sold on Rubi-Ka - Sol Fire Executioners are one thing that come to mind. Thus, SBC currently conducts business on Rubi-Ka through the supply of products to market.

But, in 29500, SBC will be able to "BUY" limited interests on Rubi-Ka. Given that other corporations are currently allowed to set up shop on OT property, this can only mean that SBC will be allowed to extend that right into actually "owning" land that was previously under lease by Omni-Tek. I would imagine that, by "limited", the ICC means that: (i) only certain land areas will be available for them to purchase; (ii) only a certain percentage of total land will be available to purchase; and (iii) that any land developed by Omni-Tek (as evidenced by the errection of structures, thus precluding SBC from offering 10 or so trillion credits for Omni-1 HQ ) will be off-limits to SBC.

This right is only available to SBC as a result of its complaints. But, in 29550, when Omni-Tek's Lease on Rubi-Ka expires, pressumably ANY entity will be allowed to purchase rights from the ICC (including the clans), as Omni-Tek will no longer have an exclusive right, over everyone else, to the lands of Rubi-Ka.))
    Emiliy Age
    Unit Leader, Foreign Relations
    Speak your heart, don't bite your tongue...

Whisper's Edge | Gridmail | Engy's Workshop | Tir School of Engineering

Bliqz on Shadowlands: "Gonna make it hard to decide who I can and cant eat."

Originally posted by Emiliy
    ((OOC:

However, other corporations are currently allowed to own business establishments - just think Miir and Bronto Burger.

...and RUR!

Seriously, I am definitely one of the guilty parties for having pushed the "25 years" thing. I am pretty sure read that somewhere in black & white without having to do my own calculations, but I don't recall where.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Originally posted by Savoy

Seriously, I am definitely one of the guilty parties for having pushed the "25 years" thing. I am pretty sure read that somewhere in black & white without having to do my own calculations, but I don't recall where.
    ((OOC: Is it possible it WAS there in black & white a few months ago, but was changed when the Timeline was updated?? With a new writer for the main story, maybe some timeline things needed to change to fit the new direction of the story...))
    Last edited by Jekor; Mar 7th, 2003 at 19:53:48.

OOC

That may very well be true. Lot of things seem to have went "poof" .
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.