Thread: Vox Solemnis

Post Vox Solemnis

It has been said that I was quiet until I had something to say, and then it was serious, well perhaps that time has once again come...

. Vox Solemnis

So much has happened over the past months and years...so much that is hard to explain, and we search for answers. Some of us even search for the right questions to ask. If there is one thing that has persisted on this planet, it is tension. People have asked why Neutrals have appeared on occasion to be uniting. Is it to prepare to defend themselves, to become a third faction, to break away from oppression/control by Clan or Omni? To all these things, I simply cannot answer. A neutral conference even existed for a while for some time, as we tried to align ourselves, to add some sense of purpose and meaning to our existence. I was twice elected to head this gathering, but the friction it created from outside was simply more than its purpose was meant to alleviate. So, with deeper thought, perhaps that was never meant to be.

Neutrals are indeed a misunderstood people, as varied as the distance between Omni-Tek and the Clans themselves. Some of us are militant, some of us are pacifists, and we exist in all places between the extremes. We have been called noncommittal, afraid, outcasts, untouchables, opportunists, fence sitters, targets… the list is endless. And yet, ironically, quite a few people seem jealous of our position. We are still at a great disadvantage in battles against anyone else. We do not have the benefits package that OmniTek offers its employees. We do not have the training that the Clans have made available for members of the resistance. Does it mean that we are ignorant? Foolish? Deluded? Or are we simply confused? We have lives, we have work, we have families, and we have feelings, just like everyone else. We have dreams, we make mistakes, and we agree with each other, we disagree with each other. In all things, we have reserved the right to make choices, like anyone else, and we have struggled to make do with the best we can. In fact, when the first groups of OT and Clan members left to settle in non-political zones, they wanted to be left alone…to simply not be bothered, but this has never happened.

We were once told we were under Clan au****es, according to the Tir Accords. But who amongst the neutrals was asked what we as a people thought of that? Who amongst the neutrals felt the need for such government or protection in the first place, or was it just decided for us? And when were we supposed to have acknowledged those Accords anyway? Then as the Accords fell into disarray (seems we were not the only ones never consulted), we were then told that we were effectively to be treated as employees of the Omni-Tek Corporation. As our fate was decided again (apparently again without our input), I must ask, if that is the case, where then is the protection from Omni-Tek Guards and such? Where are the wonderful benefit packages that so Omni-Tek employees enjoy? To be honest, we never asked for either. It seems as both Clan and Omni factions have struggled with “What to do about neutrals,” we have become perhaps a thorn in the sides of both. Ironically, it is the choices and actions of both sides that have precipitated this, more than anything. And they have discovered that neutrals are a very determined and resilient people. It basically means we are no different than anyone else. Perhaps we are not as organized as the Omni-Tek machine, and perhaps we do not have the desire as clans folk to overthrow such a machine. But it makes us no more and no less; our goals are not too different. Ask yourself, why DID neutrals leave Omni and Clan in the first place?

We who are neutral do not see one side or the other as an “enemy” as such. We just wanted to be left alone. Loren Warr made a good point by saying, “Being neutral, symbolizes the essence of the human spirit and of freedom of choice.” Indeed it does. But the Warrs have taken a step many have, and have compromised their own neutrality. And it is in this action that they do not speak for many who remain neutral, mainly by their actions and cooperation only with Omni-Tek. But then, they are not the first, and will certainly not be the last, as a number of neutrals have felt compelled to take up arms of their own accord…some to defend their lives, others to wage an assault. As they show force against those participating in the conflict, they have necessarily undermined their own neutrality as well. Sadly, they also have undermined the lives of other neutrals too, They nontheless did what was their right, and they made a choice, and no one has the right to criticize them for that. It is the result of that choice that is the issue. They responded to the call of greed, and sadly mammon seems to be only one of many monsters on Rubi-Ka that we may never kill. Even those who hired them made a choice, and it was only after other ideas had failed. Regardless, it has become too obvious that we will not be left alone by either side in this conflict. One simply cannot fight one side or another and claim to still be “neutral.” And now…we are fighting ourselves. Many have criticized mercenary groups in the midst of the war, but this sort of thing has existed since the first world wars back on earth. In fact it is a valid stance for someone claiming to be neutral. Being neutral does not mean just being pacifist, even though I am one. And yet I am a hypocrite, I have killed Omni, Clan and neutrals alike, in countless missions, not to mention the countless wildlife I have done the same to in the wilderness. In each case it was in self-defense, but I CHOSE to enter, so I am still partly responsible. But in many recent (violent) incidents neutrals have favoured one side over the other, and that is NOT neutral.

Life is choices, and we all must face the consequences of the choices we make, big or small. Some have united with sympathizers on both Clan and Omni camps, and are drawing numbers, slowly and surely, to their causes, violent and nonviolent. Others have wanted only what was theirs, the Notum that their lives have depended on. Others of us who call ourselves neutral have tried to respect everyone equally, and have chosen a path of peace. We do not see either side as the enemy. And then there are those of us who simply want to be left alone, (All we ever wanted in the first place) to live their lives as we have chosen…and not be bothered by politics or this conflict in any way (which is likely impossible). I simply cannot hate, much less hate someone I have never met. If we live on this planet, we WILL be a part of the conflict in some way…but HOW we choose to be involved is up to us. I am not Omni, I am not Clan, but I have friends all over, and I do my best to respect both sides. I honestly don't care who or what you represent, if your heart is (trying to be) pure and you are respectful of others. I care about people, not organizations.

Sigh...groups of us indeed did come together on occasion, and it was only to speak, and to create a voice that would be heard. And what that voice wanted to say is simply this: Since 29250, a group of people walked away from the au****es of Omni-Tek and the Clans, to be left alone, and as much as possible to seek a non-political life. And so we must ask again: If we stand, let us stand…if we fall, let us fall…all we ask is that you let us do it on our own. You’d think after 30,000 years we might at least have learned a little something…

Cést la guerre...
    Last edited by Catalyste; Mar 6th, 2003 at 07:48:27.
    "Ignorance is the greatest evil we will ever face" . -Dr. James Cone, ca 1990 CE

Available for Weddings, Mediations, Treaties, Celebrations, and Hugs...
    Neutrals come join #neutrality on irc.funcom.com! Everyone welcome.
    Counseling available by appointment-Priestess Cathryn Ardman
    Cat's Closet

Favourite Chat Colours: 250 200 250, try it!
    I am an adventurer, of COURSE I like going camping! :P

Still the same ol' Cat...
    Happy to see people like you are still out there.
    General of Apocaylpse

--The Council of Atroxes--
    Power to the Atrox!

Catalyste has the ability to set words on thoughts

(pardon my grammar, I'm a bit tired)
    ~Have you hugged your leet today?~

F̶u̶n̶c̶o̶m̶ ̶l̶i̶s̶t̶e̶n̶s̶ ̶:̶)̶
    Thanks for "fixing" DM, Funcom, yeah, no really... thank you so, so much. I was missing having my toolset put back to 2007.

I haven't never found two neutrals who are sharing same opinion. Life is chaos, and most of time we can't make any decisions.
    Quit whining (.com)(tm).
    ... listening whining since 2001-07-21 11:12:43...

Opinions are just that, and should never be exactly the same
    "Ignorance is the greatest evil we will ever face" . -Dr. James Cone, ca 1990 CE

Available for Weddings, Mediations, Treaties, Celebrations, and Hugs...
    Neutrals come join #neutrality on irc.funcom.com! Everyone welcome.
    Counseling available by appointment-Priestess Cathryn Ardman
    Cat's Closet

Favourite Chat Colours: 250 200 250, try it!
    I am an adventurer, of COURSE I like going camping! :P