Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Official BORPAC Response to Chimeras unwarranted Attacks on Neutral Towers:

((The point is that I doubt he bothered to check the alignment of who was attacking him. If someone is shooting at me, I don't check their tag, I react by defending. Regardless of what he said, he had several people attacking him and that is the main point.))

Which is more useful in battle? Someone who lives to fight another day or a corpse? If I know I'm going to get killed by a gang of people, I don't make a futile attempt to fight (at least, not for long), I leave knowing that I'll be able to return later. Going to reclaim is neither noble nor brave, it's just going to Reclaim. It's easy to claim bravery when "Death is not permanent (TM)"
    Last edited by Nevver; Mar 6th, 2003 at 20:35:43.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

((And my point is that he shouldnt have said Several Clanners, and then when I said there werent he argued telling me I didnt know the facts. Basically he told me I was wrong, when he was wrong. Thats my beef on that.))

And who is to say that in those last 5 seconds before you die that you cant root someone, or take someone down to half health so someone else can finish him off? I would rather see my friends at Reclaim knowing they fought to the finish, than Evac out. At least if they die I know they were trying. Its easy to Evac and say that you were there fighting. But when you see each other at reclaim, you know who was really there with you.

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

(("Whatever" to that. It looks like what I do sometimes - nitpicking words. ))

That's a nice sentiment, but not a very good strategy. Which is more helpful to your friends: 1) Going to Reclaim, shaking off resurection shock, running all the way back to the fight, setting up your nano programs then going back in or 2) running to safety, healing for a minute, then running back into the battle where you can continue to fight along side of them? Personally, I'd rather do what is best to keep my friends alive and sitting at Reclaim is not the best way, in my opinion.
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

((Point was, that this time, I was not wrong.))

I dont have a problem getting speedily back to a battle. Just as Marlamin wouldnt. We are both Fixers. But I do understand what you are saying. However I would still feel more honorable dieing in battle than running. I am not the type that runs away when things get tough.

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

I have to weigh in with some points here...

OOC: In my support of BORPAC I speak outside of my guild Arion. For the purpose of RP I consider myself guildless as Arion does not RP...and although they own bases I personally do not have one tower placed and for RP purposes will not place one. It is also unlikely you will see me at a tower war since...well...I suck at PvP

IC again...

Point of fact: The nanomage breed depends on certain, as yet unknown, levels of notum in their environment for their very survival.

Point of fact: There is no known planet anywhere else in the universe where the nanomage breed can survive.

Supposition: External entities...most notably OT...has, and intends to continue, to export notum off-planet for as long as possible. (For the sake of concervatism I have labeled this a 'supposition' but I think we can all agree that off-planet interests will not voluntarily curtail notum consumption and this 'supposition' is more pragmatically a 'fact'.

Supposition: Notum is in an 'infinite' supply on Rubika. While there are many that believe this to be the case it is important to point out that the concept of an 'infinite' resource is inconsistant with the concept of entropy at a very basic physical level. For those that might say there is no entropy on Rubika I'd point to the resurection and reclaim process and the well known fact of deterioration with age to the point that reclaim no longer works...hence entropy. On one of two counts then we have been lied to or simply mislead through a lack of understanding; either there is NO problem with reclaim and age OR there is not 'infinite' source of notum.

Now...given these points how could a person of nanomage breed not find themselves logically concerned about their future and the future of their offspring?

Given the logic of their concern, and the obvious observation that most of Rubika could care less about that concern, how could they be expected to react in much of any other way? Indeed, with the deregulaton of notum mining Rubika has gone on a notum mining binge...NOT a carefully considered restriction of mining as what would be reasonable based upon their concerns.

While I do not condone wonton violence of any type, as most of you know, I can understand how they were driven to this point.

While I support the strict roll-back of notum mining and careful investigation and regulation of future mining, I have certain other concerns about BORPAC.

I question the Desert Winds involvement in BORPAC and their concerns over other environmental issues.

First off Rubika is NOT a naturally evolved ecosystem. In fact it is an ecosystem constantly maintained by technology. The lifeforms on Rubika are artificial lifeforms than were placed here with little thought as to balance and a self-sustaining ecology. I find it preposterous that anyone would be concerned over an artificial 'ecology'...if you can even call what we have an ecology...when nearly ANY balance of organisms can be maintained artificially.

Desert Winds; what exactly IS it you're protecting about this so-called ecology?

For example: Why is Nevver's hardwood deforestation, and my replacement with a coffee bean plantation, for Belial Forest any less ecologically 'sound' than what is there currently? Both were artificially put into place afterall.

We live on a terraformed world..and one that is continuing to be terraformed as we speak. No thought was put into a self-regulating ecosystem then and we don't seem to have one now so what is it you're protecting? How does notum mining adversely affect this artificial 'ecology'?

The only valid concern I can see here is that postulated by NLF for ages now; a depletion of notum is potentially dangerous to the survival of the nanomage breed. I must, for sake of balance, point out that this view is NOT shared by all nanomages... *points to her own wife as an example*

Originally posted by Nelida

First off Rubika is NOT a naturally evolved ecosystem. In fact it is an ecosystem constantly maintained by technology. The lifeforms on Rubika are artificial lifeforms than were placed here with little thought as to balance and a self-sustaining ecology. I find it preposterous that anyone would be concerned over an artificial 'ecology'...if you can even call what we have an ecology...when nearly ANY balance of organisms can be maintained artificially.

From the desk of Major McCovery
    Leader Desert Winds

Its this artifical ecology which keeps us all alive. If however you were return Rubi-Ka to her natural state, which some clans people do ((official story clan Gaia)), then all notum dependent species, including your charming wife, are going to die as they can not leave Rubi-Ka. If this artifical ecosphere collapses then again they will die.

Now I understand OT created every single one of the species you see on Rubi-Ka, installed the W.C.S., and began the terraforming process that sustains our presence here, I do not need this repeated to me ad nauseum ((I KNOW)). In order to function an ecosystem needs some form of design to recycle the various compunds eg nitrogen and carbon cycles. Species were not added randomly, each has a purpose and is inter dependent on the rest, those species include solitus, nanomage, opifex and atrox and leets. They are all now a part of the cycle of life we have created here on Rubi-Ka.

Rubi-Ka has been inhabited for generations now, almost 800years since the first colonists. Entire families have lived here for generations, more arrive everyday. That artifical ecosphere you so callously dismiss is the future to Rubi-Ka, it is the life line on which everyone who lives here, and whose families have lived here for generations depends on.

Now, do you see why I campaign and fight?

((edit for some typos))
    Omni-Pol intelligence report for Peregrinus Praecautus
    Known applicant of Third Faction
    Warning! Record is being accessed by an external source of unknown origin.
    Recovering file

be on your guard pilgrim
    File ends

Just to play devil's advocate...

Dr. Tiny, what happens if by blowing up enough Omni-Tek mining facilities that you finally make it not profitable for Omni-Tek to stay on Rubi Ka? The weather control system, something that I would guess was extremely expensive to develop and build, is not something that I would imagine Omni-Tek leaving behind if they decide to pull out of Rubi Ka. Then again, it might be such a massive structure that moving it is not even an option. But let's just say that Omni-Tek, or some radical Omni-Tek department, decided to destroy it rather than see Omni-Tek forced off of the planet due to terrorist activities. What then?

For the sake of everyone who lives on Rubi Ka, I hope these are scenarios that you have considered.
    Last edited by Nevver; Mar 6th, 2003 at 22:09:41.
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

One other point I just thought of.

Even if the WTS were left intact on Rubi Ka, it's a contraption that is still having the kinks worked out of it (as evident by the weird storms we still experience). Omni-Tek must have an entire team that is devoted to working on this thing who knows it inside and out even if the machine doesn't work perfectly.

If Omni-Tek pulls out and the team that developed and maintained the system goes with them, what then? Who is going to repair the WTS when it starts getting flaky? Who will continue to iron out all of the bugs? I know the Clans and Neutrals have some great scientists working with them, but I can't imagine any group coming in dry and trying to pick up where the WTS team left off without any prior knowledge of how it works. Sure, given enough time, they can get a good grasp on how it works, but is it enough time if the machine decides to just break down one day? Is that a chance that everyone is willing to take?

The only possible way I can see of preventing a global disaster should Omni-Tek decide to leave Rubi Ka is to try and recruit or outright kidnap members of that team. ((Ooh! There's a nasty piece of RP! ))
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Nevver you bring up a good point. If Omni-Tek where to leave we would be in a tight spot for a short time to continue the terraforming process. But Terraforming is hardly a new science and we are already intently studying the art. Also if a democratic society were to replace Omni-Tek I'd invision the entire planet would be terraformed, unlike now where Omni-Tek does the minnimum required.
    Aazamon General of the Nanomage Liberation Front

28973 The first Homo Nano is born in an Omni-Tek laboratory. The inclusion of trace notum into the DNA sequencing of Nano foetuses means that this breed is able to live only on Rubi-Ka.

Until all are free!

We are recruiting

The Nanomage Liberation Front

I don't mean actually terraforming, I'm talking about the weather control system that keeps the climate humming along. ((From what I understand, these are two entirely different things.)) So, while you might be able to expand the inhabitable parts of Rubi Ka through terraforming, without the weather control system, the whole thing falls down.
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Ah, sorry I just include that as part of the larger Terraforming process. Even if the mechanics of Terraforming can be devided weather control is clearly a part of the process and was included in my remarks. And BTW Omni-Tek has done a sub par job with it so far and I believe that is due to cost saving measures not the dificulty of weather control.
    Aazamon General of the Nanomage Liberation Front

28973 The first Homo Nano is born in an Omni-Tek laboratory. The inclusion of trace notum into the DNA sequencing of Nano foetuses means that this breed is able to live only on Rubi-Ka.

Until all are free!

We are recruiting

The Nanomage Liberation Front

Leader Desert Winds

The WCS is a critical component of life on this planet. While it may be profitable for OT to take that device and sell it for scrap if they are forced off Rubi-Ka or leave due to their lease expiring, could their investors and the galactic stock market stomach sentancing an entire planet's population to death?
    Omni-Pol intelligence report for Peregrinus Praecautus
    Known applicant of Third Faction
    Warning! Record is being accessed by an external source of unknown origin.
    Recovering file

be on your guard pilgrim
    File ends

Originally posted by Vixentrox

((Hope they were ATTACKING the tower with Chimera.....BORPACT remember, no tower defense for joo! ))

OOC (because it's in reply to an OOC statement, though my reply is true IC as well):

I'd just like to point out that we weren't there to protect the towers as such. Chimera went there to kill neutrals in an attempt to turn the neutral population against BorPact through fear of Omni reprisals. As such, the attack was directed at us, and I for one wont stand idly by as our (IC) enemies kill innocents and blame it on us.

Originally posted by Aazamon
    Omni-Tek has done a sub par job with it so far and I believe that is due to cost saving measures not the dificulty of weather control.
    But that is only what you believe to be true, it's not fact, which makes it a big gamble.
    Originally posted by Dr Tiny
    Leader Desert Winds

The WCS is a critical component of life on this planet. While it may be profitable for OT to take that device and sell it for scrap if they are forced off Rubi-Ka or leave due to their lease expiring, could their investors and the galactic stock market stomach sentancing an entire planet's population to death?
    Omni-Tek selling, destroying or otherwise dismantling the WTS is only one scenario that I presented. This still leaves open the possibility of them simply leaving it behind with noone qualified to run, maintain or upgrade it.
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Originally posted by Nelida
    I question the Desert Winds involvement in BORPAC and their concerns over other environmental issues.

Desert Winds; what exactly IS it you're protecting about this so-called ecology?

For example: Why is Nevver's hardwood deforestation, and my replacement with a coffee bean plantation, for Belial Forest any less ecologically 'sound' than what is there currently? Both were artificially put into place afterall.

We live on a terraformed world..and one that is continuing to be terraformed as we speak. No thought was put into a self-regulating ecosystem then and we don't seem to have one now so what is it you're protecting? How does notum mining adversely affect this artificial 'ecology'?

The only valid concern I can see here is that postulated by NLF for ages now; a depletion of notum is potentially dangerous to the survival of the nanomage breed. I must, for sake of balance, point out that this view is NOT shared by all nanomages... *points to her own wife as an example*
    Your wife is an example of the "artifical lifeforms" you seem to have so little regard for as well... the only difference being that we human beings don't rely on the ecosystem to the same extent other living beings do, and as such are not threatened yet. This, however, does not mean that we don't rely on it at all... you will sorely miss it if is destroyed.

Does for example the leet have any less right to live in a stable ecology than the "natural born" species on Earth, just because it's predecessors were concieved in an Omni lab nearly 1000 years ago (as were the nano, atrox and opifex breeds)? Since they were introduced, these species have evolved on their own, and subtle yet important mutations set them apart from the lifeforms Omni created.

Important breeding grounds for many species have been laid to waste by the presence of towers and the havoc caused by the changing gas cycles in these areas. The eco system we have today is by no means perfect, but there was a balance to it all, a balance that is quickly being destroyed as some species suffer reduced populations due to the predations of the mining towers.

(( This is not just IC makebelieve, many hunting grounds have been affected, as major spawn points in tower areas just don't spawn anything due to the towers. ))

Originally posted by Rubel
    Your wife is an example of the "artifical lifeforms" you seem to have so little regard for as well... the only difference being that we human beings don't rely on the ecosystem to the same extent other living beings do, and as such are not threatened yet.
    Nanomages are not artificial lifeforms, they are humans just like we Solitus. We're all modified from the original human species, but some are more modified than others.

Just nitpicking.
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»

Also known as...
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Originally posted by Nevver
    Nanomages are not artificial lifeforms, they are humans just like we Solitus. We're all modified from the original human species, but some are more modified than others.

Just nitpicking.
    I wouldn't expect anthing else from the resident Devil's Advocate.

However, my other example the leet is also based on the genetic structure of original Earth animals. This is in fact true of most of OT's creations, as they are way too cheap to build it all from scratch.

To Miss Sulema "Fleshreaper" Mischler

It appears that this new BORPAC alliance have not done thier research very well.

As a member of Omni-Pols Medical, Research, Trade & engineering department, I have done a lot of research into Notum and the planets sustainability for the Nanomage breed, because I myself am a Nanomage.

Notum is a renewable source, the current mining operations are currently only after Raw Notum which means it has to be mined from the ground.
    Nanomage are alive because Notum is also in the air, you breath it everyday, by breathing it you are sustained.

Notum will never become depleted on this planet, because it is too important, the Insurance terminals which we all use are reliant upon Notum as well as Nanotechnology.
    Rubi-Ka has led the way in the development and enhancement of Nanotechnology and Omni Scientists have only discovered about 5% of Notums potential uses.
    Notum is not like a Gem which was rare on Old Earth, as Omni Surveys and ICC surveys have shown, Notum is abundant.
    It is in everything.
    Now if you choose to wage an act of terrorism on the people who mine Notum on Rubi-Ka then do you aswell think you should be judged.
    As a Nanomage our sepciality is in the use of Nanotechnology, only made possible by using Notum to augment our nanobots. Every time we use a nano program we use Notum, so would you not count yourself a Notum exploiter?

Wether you take small or large amounts of Notum you are still taking it.

"If you have a rich man with 1 million credits and a poor man with 1 credits, if you take all of their money away arent they both poor?"

You need a worthy cause, and your acts of terrorism due to you not seeing or understanding the whole truth shows lack in your ability as a Nanomage to see the truth.

And your slogan "Till all are free", Nanomages are free and always have been free, we have a mind just as the Solitus,Opifex and Atrox, we sign or allegiances to whomever we see fit and we serve those who we wish to serve.

For you as a Nanomage to stoop to a level of terrorist brings shame amongst us fellow Nanomage breed.

I will say this, Once Omni-Tek opens up public passage to the City Of Jobe, you will see.

Do not let your mind stay clouded.

You have my Regards

Tikon......
    Tikon - Forever an MP. Rest in peace my dear old friend.

Remember, Life is a Journey, Not a Destination, So enjoy the ride..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12