Thread: Please consider this suggestion for allowing small amounts of IP reallocation

Please consider this suggestion for allowing small amounts of IP reallocation

Players invest a lot of time into making the characters they way they are, and it's rather frustrating to have the IPs that you once spent (and were useful at the time) suddenly become an IP sink over the course of a patch or two. There needs to be some options to allow players to adjust their IPs to compensate them for changes to the game, that is in no way the fault of the player who spent the IPs before the changes.

I propose adding a series of new items to the game, that can allow you to convert a few points in a skill back into IPs. I've heard that there used to be some kind of IP rings or something that actually gave you bonus IPs back in beta. It could be in some ways be similar to that, except you don't actually get "free" IPs, but rather have the oppportunity to get refunded a few IPs in an old skill.

I would suggest that these be uncommon to rare drops (but *NOT* No Drop) and be specific to a skill. You could have the number of points possible to be refunded based on the QLvl of the item (such as points refunded = 1/2 or 1/4 of the QLvl of the ring). I don't know how much would be fair.

Example:

Ring of Retraining (Concealment) Q50. Right click to permanently lose 25 points of Concealment, with IP refunded. Must have at least 25 points invested in Concealment or else the item cannot be activated.

It would be up to Funcom to figure out what they'd feel would be a fair QLvl to refund ratio, but I think this is a solution that would be a reasonable compromise that wouldn't be really exploitable, but yet would allow for the reallocation that some are begging for (without global resets, rerolling, or other drastic solutions on the part of player or Funcom).
    Last edited by Phinnias; Nov 19th, 2001 at 23:35:33.

Great, yet another way for powergames to tweak their chars.

In essense, I agree with you. There should be some way to refund IP spent on a skill made useless by a patch.

But, what would eventually end up happening is powergamers would end up buying all the rings or whatever for an extrodinary price, making it inaxcessable the people who the item is aimed at (casual gamers).

Not everyone is motivated only by credits Spydur.

I would much sooner give a ring away to help one of my friends than to sell it to some high level player for a big profit. Or, save it until I could find someone to trade me another ring that I would actually need.

Secondly, sure it could help powergamers do tweaks on their characters, but even powergamers deserve a break when they have wasted IPs because Funcom decides to make a skill less worthwhile (or even worthless) after they've already spent large amounts if IP.