Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Soloing and Teaming (the conclusions)

Re: I fart in your general direction

Originally posted by Gene13
    We're also the Kings of run speed, Über-gods of SMG and Guardians of the Super Duper Cool Thingy.

/G13
    Yeah!
    And all u non-fixers better watch out, coz this thing(super-duper cool-thingy(™)) is so powerful not even FC knows what it is!
    Teknolord, Rubi-Ka 1 fixer.

/me pops back in
    /me looks around
    /me still doesnt see any official response about fixers
    /me goes back to singing

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

Re: About Roots

Originally posted by Crin
    One problem with roots is that it is hard to synchronize with you other teammates so that they don’t shoot your roots and break them. One solution is to have the root unbreakable for a couple of seconds after it is cast. This will allow time for lag and other team members to see the root and quit their attack.

If you think that is too powerful, add a version of the root that will put a shield around the target for a few seconds. While the shield is up, the target can’t attack or be attacked.
    agreed! maybe a damage shield that blocks 80% damage and hits are only 20% likely to break root for the first 1/4 of root durration. from there it'd go maybe 40%/60% for the second 1/4 and 10%/90% for the last half of durration. maybe this is too much, but perhaps that shield would also block that much damage (80%, 40%, 10%) coming from the monster. i could see this as an area effect nano being a long wall at lower levels, and perhaps a dome that might cut your team off from the outside for some time long enough to kill what they have? that's crowd control!
    ÷÷÷Crikket the Gunsmith÷÷÷
    "I like my work and I hope you do, too -- but if you don't, I really couldn't care less. Take me or leave me -- but don't bug me." -- Johnny Carson

Funcom has it's head screwed on backwards as far as the tank issue is concerned.

Why is the only viable tank an Atrox Enforcer?!?
    Why do they get a funky tool for agging, when a soldier has to make do with this huge IP-sink peice of garbage that doesn't work a darn?

An enforcers special nano gives them a boost in OFFENSIVE power, while a soldiers is purely defensive. As a soldier you are a tanking machine, and by the nano's you would think that is true.

A soldier has special agro nano's (that are useless because of nano-skills-inoperative) and a shield that can take hits from 3 enemies at a time.

Oops! Funcom forgot they designed the soldier to tank. Wow is they're face red. Because ALL of this tanking ability of the soldier is lost when you cant hold the attention of the mobs.

How about that general Aggression enhancer? It's useless mostly too. I have sunk countless amounts of IP into Psychology, and the best i can do to the mob is make him run around in circles hitting everyone instead of just the weakest member of the party.

But fear not! Funcom has graciously allowed soldiers to become even more useless in a team (since they can't hold a mobs attention - and that's all they are good for is tanking). Introducing: Da Taunter! Yes, this beautiful peice of work only works for Atroxes AND as an additional benefit, it uses a nano skill that no soldier in his right mind will pump.

So, by the nano's you would believe that soldiers are meant to tank? Sadly, funcom has forgotten this, so no point using nano's anymore. Might as well just sink that beloved IP into your gun - that's all we're supposed to do i guess.

Lightbulb Super

Every idea you had sounded superb. Just as a friendly suggestion, I would give team missions UBER priority. All the people on these threads would whine and moan alot less if they were too busy running a sweet mission with 5 other people and getting PHAT loot.
    Also you'd have to have the IQ of leet fodder to not see that people are DYING for autosplit as far as money loot goes. Please implement that asap.

Since it is very interesting about this proposal, I writes in for the first time.

First,it is a thing that having considered first is strong as for an adventurer's DS, it is it only at the time of a solo and the way of Enforcer is actually excellent.
    Although it is the layer of an adventurer's DS, this has very much Nano for cast DS, and is unsuitable for there being an effect only in one more attack type. Probably, its this one will be more convenient since the thing of Enforcer can raise HP.

Next, although it is the proposal to give the Crowd control to an adventurer, the way after this also clarifies what occupation an adventurer is really thinks that it is good.
    I hope that you give a more appropriate adventurer rather than the Crowd control (for example, more various transformation nano formula).

Talking Monster aggro vs killing them

How about a little record with your character listing what you kill? Like say I have killed 2000 more fleas then anything.. so I get a title "Flea Exterminator" and all fleas agro on me on sight to show their hate for me? oh well ditch the title.. but I would like it.. *giggles thinking of -Sigmatay Elite OT killer- or -Sigmatay Robot Destroyer- * anyway a system that might like give us a list of about what we kill would be nice.. then on our character bio it might say - kills= 30% monsters, 60% Humanoids, 10% player characters or even better get down to like fleas and shades and all that so we know what will aggro at us for shooting them to much.

anyway, short post.. thanks for reading
    Sigmatay agent

Originally posted by Nalissa
    How about that general Aggression enhancer?
    It is not. In fact it's still way better than Da Taunter! As for keeping aggro soldiers have to rely on their massive alpha strike first than on their superior damaga output.
    Ask yourself why are you out damaged ? Check the Q of your implants and weapons I bet you'll have 80% of the answer.
    Remember too that past 100+ you will be clearly out dmagaed by any MP or Eng bot.
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

A few errors in Funcom's message

As a level 143 adventurer, I am currently having problems, both solo and teamed. So I turned to the boards to see what I am doing wrong and after reading this message from funcom, I am know more aware than ever that it is not me who is making the mistakes, but rather Funcom who is missing the point. The post listed Doctors as the primary Healers, and Adventurers and MAs as the 2 secondary classes. Well I urge any Funcom member to take a walk a walk to Broken Shores city of home and listen to the yells. They will soon find out that at levels 100+ the 2 secondary healers are MAs and Traders-adventurers need not apply. The simple fact is 100+ teams dont want substandard adventurers as docs, the want MAs and TRADERS!! I've teamed with traders who can use team heals at level 130 that heal the team for up to 1k hitpoints, while it takes an adventurer to use a level 170ish spell to do the same. Now i dont play a trader so I am unsure how the nano should work, but in my mind a traders heal should heal the team while taking away from the trader. Well news flash!! I've been in teams with traders and been healed by them and the trader casting the nano doesnt lose any hp.. In fact A level 115 trader heals better than my level 143 adventurer anyday and everyone knows it. The problem is after level 125 the adventurer gets heal nanos very sporatically. Sure Funcom implimented many lower level adventurer heals, too many in fact, but we still lack a decent amount of higher level heals. And the other drawback to adventurer heals is the wide range on our heals (450-850 for example). and the truth is most of the time we heal for closer to the bottom of that range than the top. Adventurer heals need to have their minimum heal amount raised so the gap is smaller. So just a note funcom, Doctors are the best healers, followed by MAs, then Traders, thn its a close race between an ADventurer and the MP pet. So dont think that adventureres are balanced because of a high healing ability we are actually 4th or 5th on the list for healing abilities.
    The post stated that adventurers have the best damage shields. Well damage shield need to be looked at 2 ways. First is the amount of damage it saves the player from recieving, and 2nd is the amount of damage the shield dishes back at the attacker. The adventurer shield definately by far are not the best at reducing the damage recieved. Take a look at the engineer shields, the soldier mk, the nt's absorption and nullity, the mps shields, etc. The adventurer shields only protect for the first so many points of a certain type of damage. the other class's shields protect against all types of damage and for much higher amounts. so the adventurer shield definately lack on this aspect and are not th best but rather way down on the list. As for return damage, well the adventurer shields do ok, but the soldiers MK shield is still better. So point being is that the adventurer damage shields are not the best, especially since almost every group you team in will ask you take it off since it auto breaks roots and calms. So its a neat line of nanos that are useless in group play. They are also broken in PVP. Myself as an adventurer if I place my shield on and enter PVP with an enforcer who also has a damage shield on. When he smacks me he does damage and he recieves my shield damage.. Thats it.. As an adventurr when I smack him I do damage to him, his shield does damage to me, which sparks my shield to damge him, which sparks his shield to damage me again. So From the enforcer's side he gets hit by shield damage only once. However as an adventurer I get hit by his shield damage twice!!!! How is thsi fair?? Its not, plain and simple its broken.
    And dont get me started on the fact that every other class can cast nanos levels ahead of themselves but yt an adventuerer at level 143 with maxed title caped skills, and level 145-175 implants all created with nano abilities maxed cant even cast nanos my own level without outside buffs. In short dont give adventurers any more credit than they are worth. In fact dont give us any credit as we simply suck at this time in the balancing issue
    Android18 Lvl 143 adv.

On soloing, Doc's slow NF make me unfun & unplayable game, almost same as NT's 0CT 2k dmg chain nuke.
    Hope block high level Doc NPC's debuff too.

We are discussing something we call "Dyna-camps". That is something like a spread of more focused camps around the world, where content change and adapt to the players around it, a bit like outdoor-auto- content, changing the playfield.
    If you're thinking what I'm thinking, this could be sweet, sweet, sweet, and the most impressive thing about AO.

For example, let's say a lot of people are heading out towards the Rhino Camp outside of Newland one day. Too many, in fact, and people from all different level ranges. Well, when you zone into the Rhino Camp, you don't zone into the same "zone" as everyone else, you zone into the zone for your level group. For example, if there are:
    20 level 10-20 chars
    20 level 20-40 chars
    20 level 40-70 chars
    Then, each level range would get its own separate playfield. This would be teh bomb, because you could always go to a certain playfield and be certain that there are critters there for you to kill, and people for you to group with, and it's not over-crowded. There's nothing worse than having a runspeed of 50, running all the way out to the middle of nowhere, finding the zone unhuntable because it's too crowded, zoning someplace else and finding that too crowded as well, etc.

The code may already be there: after all, the missions are random - why not the hunting grounds? At least, some of them. It wouldn't have to be all of them, perhaps, and this would keep everyone happy.

Yeehaw!

Sodiers?

We are forgotten again?

Zurick, LVL143 Ruba-Ka1

Re: Monster aggro vs killing them

Originally posted by Sigmatay
    How about a little record with your character listing what you kill? Like say I have killed 2000 more fleas then anything.. so I get a title "Flea Exterminator" and all fleas agro on me on sight to show their hate for me
    I LOVE IT! DO IT NOW! HAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Give me liberty, or give me a bronto-burger (or kill me)!

Whaddevah," We will pillage your women and sodomize your towns!" Corny"The wise-cracking slayer of many!"
    Yahmuddah "Yeah, yours! Whatchagonnadoooo?

Where Have All The Advents Gone

Greetings, fellow travellers. My primary character is a 130+ adven on rk2, so i have some experience to draw from. Firstly, let me say that i agree with what most of the others had to say, on all counts (and adven shields ARE useless - i cant give them away in teams). I am pleased to see that the development team is in fact composed of intelligent and amicable people who are really trying to make this game as great as it could be. That being said, i have two beefs - and dont get me wrong, im not angry at all, just wanted this to get out there since it seems to me that the squeaky wheel gets the grease in AO - here they are:

1) as far as i know, the highest lvl char on rk2 is a fixer, so....
    (not that im sayin they dont have real problems, just that it is possible to overcome them with clever play)

2) at the risk of sounding biased (which i am) i must say that the reason u all at development are not hearing more complaints from advens on the message boards is because there arent any advens to complain. My guild is 120 people strong and we have 3 advens - 1 of whom has not been online in at least a month. the other is a noob. That leaves me, and the amount of advens my level that i know of (including omni and nutral) i could count on one hand. Recently ive been seeing more pop up as twinks, but overall, all the advens i have known since the beginning are gone. This in itself must say something about the class.
    See, the trouble with advens is that they were designed to be the jack-of-all-trades, like the bard (or so i am led to believe). But the adven is not nearly good enough at any 1 thing to do it even passibly well as a substitute.
    - i cannot tank in group play without at least a heal pet and a doctor on me at all times
    - i cant substitute for a doc even with the help of an ma
    - i cannot solo, period
    - with rare exception, i cant even give my buffs away
    - since the nerfing of FA pistols there is not a single worthy pistol available in the game, which leaves an adven with only 1he as a truly viable option. Yet the only good 1he weapon is the rider executioner, and heavy weapons skills are dark blue to non-atrox

Keeping these things in mind and not wanting to be part of the headache for u in the development team who, im sure, already have more than enough to deal with at the moment, i leave u with some constructive suggestions, which may spark a train of thought (or at the very least fill some blank space on the forum

- take heavy weapons out of the ATTACK DEPENDENCY of rider executioners, thus it is still needed to wield one, but u will not be penalized in attack rating for not maxing a dark-blue skill every lvl.

- beef up the advens dam shields at least to the point of the shields that the MoB advens use

- add some new morphs:
    I was thinkin of possibly a short-term dam multiplier morph - like the nanos for MAs - crash of thunder and such - possibly morphs for caster AND target, with brief duration and temporary nano shutdown afterwards

ex.: "Cat and Mouse" - transforms caster into tiger (graphics already done) and the target into a leet, giving AC and init debuffs to target and attack bonuses to the caster for a brief period

ex.: "Cornered Rat" - transforms target into a rollerrat for a brief period - giving substantial bonuses to attack and damage, but lowering ACs and health for the duration - like a last ditch effort to save the team from the terrible boss mob at one's own expense, a "berzerker" nano, if u will

those are just ideas but maybe they will give someone else a viable idea or just make u laugh, i dunno
    Anyway, thanks for reading this (if u actually got this far) and overall this game is pretty amazing, gl to u all and i will see u in BS missions for the next 50 lvls
    Last edited by Bartleby; Feb 25th, 2002 at 21:11:04.

"Sleep or Mezz nanos will also include a PvP component. They will be attack-speed debuffs, mimicking the effect they have on monsters. Remember, these nanos are one-hit-100%-break always. Also, they will not stop people moving around or fleeing."

As you know, since damage has twice the nano cost of healing, it would be a good (if not only temporary, but please soon!) solution to let mezz nanos stop combat in PVP for 5 seconds or so where the charmed could not start combat again with at least the caster of the nano, and during this time the Crat/NT could recharge their nano pool somewhat. Mezz nanos could be the damage casters form of reloading.

I posted a though on the agent side of this in the game mechanix section entitled "Agent Balancing...can it be done? Here's an idea"

Off Topic - Crat

Ok. I've read some of this thread. Not all of it, but some. And I'm about to go way offtopic.

First off, I'f like to say that Funcom is doing thier level best to improve the game. Its not perfect, but thoes of us that have hung in there since release (and theres not a lot of us) can tell you just how far AO has come since that rocky beginning. Yes, some classes are still broken. Fixers leap to mind immediatly. Fixer is the only class I havent played, mostly because of all the dark-blue nanoskills. After getting several characters past 50, I could see just how bloody hard that class was gonna be to play. To anyone who's managed to get a Fixer up to a respectable level, I salute you. You have far more patiance then I.

Now then. For some unfathomable reason, folks keep lumping Bureaucrat in with 'the worst classes in the game'. Im guessing many of these folks have never actually =played= a Crat. I am currently 71st level, and I'm going like a house afire. Playing a Crat is very much like playing a Shaman was in EQ. Really hard work untill you got your pet, then WHAM, you were a god. Crat =seems= like a redheaded stepchild at first (we're the only pet class that dosent start out with a pet!), until you get your first charm. Then there's no stopping you. Crat is all about finesse, not brute force. Heck, I havent fired a shot in anger in 20 levels or so. We have pets and charmed critters to handle bludgening down the mobs, the Crat's job is to manage the battle. Its the ideal solo class. You create your own group as you go along.

That being said, I need to state for the record that I have never grouped with my Crat. Not once. I'm strictly a solo artist, always have been. So I am really not qualified to comment on group dynamics. However, Crats solo so darn well, it almost feels like Im cheating. Hence, I must disagree with folks who say Crats need fixing. We dont. Theres a few tweaks we'd like to see done, but overall, I am perfectly happy with how this class plays. And before I get flamed down by the few 100+ Crats out there, gimme a month or 3 to get that high, and I'll see for myself.

I apologize for straying so far off the topic. But it just had to be said.

(Note to you n00b Crats: Take the very first 200cr you make on the training field, run out and buy your pet, then run back to training. It'll make things a LOT easier. And you wont lose mobs to all thoes Engies and MPs anymore.)
    ++++++++++++++++++
    Swing
    199 Solitus Engeneer
    Omni-Tek, TestLive
    "It used to be that brave heroes would go out into the darkness and slay monsters. Now that we've banished the darkness, we've discovered we're all monsters."

I made my earlier comment about teaming and soloing both being rewarded equally, but I have to say after doing a bit of grouping my opinion has changed.

Grouping is too damn easy as it is and is already more rewarding than playing solo. Christ when I solo I have to be on my toes. In a group I can watch TV and gain XP 4 times faster than if I were not in group. Frankly I am a bit sick of people leveling as fast as they do with such little effort because they are in a group.

Thumbs up secret agent man

it seems that if agents were true specialists at espianage, assassination and "liberation" of goods not rendered their own then two things must happen. First as it was metioned in the article, agents must be rendered invisible in sneak mode to both players, npc's and mob's; with the exception of team members. however this mode is broken in the event of combat. im not sure; since i currently have no agent character; but perhaps the cloaking device and concealment skills do this already.
    the other thing i wanted to suggest is that breaking and entering skill allows players to "pick-pocket" npc's; including but not limited to: guards, merchants, monsters, and Harry (heh). Ofcourse perception = discovery + aggro = "you may reclaim your items in 60 seconds" lol.
    Lastly and most importantly agents should have the unique ability to mimic alighnment and freely enter enemy zones and join enemy teams or travel in pvp areas where an enemy wanders in unsuspecting; seeing a neutral soldier; then surprise. I realise this would be complicated to implement. suggestions are: new nano line; by product of mimic class lines ie.. mimic clan soldier, mimic omni soldier, mimic neutral soldier, etc..; device playable by agents only; requiring concealment skill to be directly proportional to duration. Also i'm not sure how the mimic nano lines work but i feel that they should be able to self cancel immediately and that a separate timer be implemented restricting a recasting of that particular mimic line; or any other for that matter; perhaps using a locked on use injunction or a non-friendly nano effect.
    Again im no computer programmer but i think those types of changes would make the agent much more versitile; unique and genuinly agent like

Re: Soloing and Teaming (the conclusions)

Originally posted by Cz
    The article can be found at http://community.anarchy-online.com/...articles/2140L

Cz

I like most of the ideas in the article however there is one suggested change that does concern me.

I prefer soloing to grouping presently. And so do many others. I do group as well but like the idea that I can go off on my own at any time and fight and hunt at my pace.

However in the suggested changes, there is one item that would change that thus making soloing impossible. That suggested change was the 'family' hate attribute or faction killing suggestion. If I am hunting solo, I like the fact that I can pick ones to fight without worrying about other creatures pouncing on me from behind. Many times it comes down to the last blow on whether I win or loose. If you implement this 'family kill' feature, anything that is part of that family will start in on me.. Now for groups, that is not so bad but for soloing?? It would give us NO chance to rest or heal or anything else.. Once we start fighting something, anything in its family will come after us and as a soloing hunter, that means no chance of survival.

I do like the idea when it comes to groups. I hate the idea for soloing. If implemented, everyone that solo's is going to find that doing things on your own will be impossible. We will be forced to group and for many of us, we prefer soloing over grouping many times over.

I think FC/AO needs to rethink this one item. I want to retain my ability to leave a group and go out on my own. I want the ability to log in for the one or two hours I may have at some point and be able to work on my character without spending an hour looking for a good group that is active and more interested in hunting than standing around talking. I want to spend my time doing something rather than be in a group where people are so afraid of dying that after ever third kill we have to stop hunting and wait while one or two members run off to save before they loose their experience.

Everything else sounds great. I hope this one item will be looked at again however.

Malakie

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast