Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Soloing and Teaming (the conclusions)

Thumbs up Roxx0rz

Funcom certainly has the right ideas, if this is all gonna be implemented i'm going to be very happy. Those articles really show that the AO team can THINK and they have innovative and cool ideas. Good luck implementing them!

More camp spots would indeed be better, especially high lvl. Making an alternative to Lush Fields would be very cool too.

One thing I have to disagree with though:
    The adventurer's dmg shield just plain sucks. We all know that.
    High lvl content is the key to fix the game. Add new hunting grounds, make some viable loot and money-dumps for higher lvls.

ok, started reading and got as far as:

"Having tried fixing for instance the Fixer or Agent, does not mean we have a profession that is finished in balancing compared to the others. We will most likely come back to them very soon. The next profession we are improving in ability is the Martial Artist. After that we do the Agent again, and then most likely the Adventurer - maybe the Nano-Technician? (There, I mentioned it I could list all professions in the order I think they should be improved. I won't though, because I would like the ability to adapt to the changing world, where player strategies and skill - so often interacting with - and setting the agenda for our everyday work."

you have tried to fix the fixer???
    is this refering to the summon nanos?
    or the grid armour?

please point me to the fixer fix.
    every profession in the list that gaute mentioned, when talking about themselves, more often than not also mentions that the fixer is more gimped even than them and deserves to be given something.

obviously funcom do not see this.

I will continue reading, but I can see many of my friends quitting the game

I like almost all of what I saw in that message, but the monster family thing sounds kind of risky.
    There might be several bugs with this, as it is inevitable to have bugs with large patches like this. I think this should be done for teams that killed these monsters, so a player will not nearly die 10 times in a row if they choose to solo. Also, there should be a range of this effect, like if I am on one side of lush and kill a shade then take a ql 200 yalm (because of its speed) to the other side the creatures should be less likely to attack as the ones where I first killed the monster. You mentioned how a family of monsters would attack, but I am not sure if that family would be every single shade that I come across or just the same type of shade that I killed so it would stay around my level. If I killed a level 35 shade when I was at level 35 and I walked around the zone for a few minutes before getting attacked by a level 75 shade I would be very angry due to the lose of all my xp. I agree with the idea of a monster family but I would recommend that Funcom thinks this one over for a long time to make sure that it is done well.

I still don't believe MAs are going to be fixed. He talks about Agents an awful lot in there. I bet the Agents are going to be the next uber class. Sounds like MAs will just get another heal or some crap that has nothing to do with our fighting ability.

Hunting Grounds

I think more hunting grounds are a highly desired item we would like to see implimented. Change them or something!! Case in point: I roll a new char then my hunting grounds are as follows every single time and it gets old:

Mutie Camp just outside ent in the forest.
    Mutie Camp east of baraxs.
    Mutie Camp south of that one
    SW pipe in lush near op
    SW mine in lush
    NW mine in lush
    VB's in 20k
    Shades Shade Shades OMG MORE SHADES
    Bothackers + Claw Camp
    Medusas<-----NERFED TO ALL HECK AND MORE !!!!!! (Impossible To Hunt If You Didnt Know)
    Missions Missions Missions and lets see MORE MISSIONS UTILL LVL 200 OUT OF BROKEN SHORES<-----YOU MIGHT AS WELL CALL THAT AREA BROKEN GAME CAUSE THATS WHERE WE FEEL YOU LEFT OFF

Basically I feel I can level at a decent pace through lvl 80 and I generally have fun doing it; however, what then. Meds were cool; they were hard but very cool. That is gone now and when we got a clanner in our group and killed the poor omni guards for xp(so lame) we had a chance. That is now gone. So where can i lvl up. If there were places to go we would have found them by now. How about a hint of a cool spot to level past 80, as I am SURE you at FC did not intend for all to suffer through missions untill lvl 200. Thanks.

Steroidjerk 142 Atrox Beam Wielding Enforcer
    Meatpopsike 82 Atrox Beam Wielding NanoTech
    Eaxtmxe 48 Atrox Trader Dual Wielding El Diablos
    Imonfire 38 Atrox Beam Wielding Martial Artist*Beams are too cool

I'm still thinking about this information and deciding my reaction, but let me say that I *really* appreciate finally getting some tangible information and not so much of the smoke and mirrors game.. more articles should be like this one..

Fixers

Please please please dont forget about us fixers, please. We badly need some loving, and even my hugs arent enough anymore, we need something to make us usefull. I dont want to be uber, just to useful.

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

I agree with SteroidJerk on the hunting spots. When I started my account, there were tons of places to hunt all over the world. It was great. But that changed, and now lots of people are stuck in missions if they want any XP at all. Sure there are a few awesome hunting places out in the boonies that no one really knows about, but flying for 15 mins to save is kind of a pain. I'd really like to see some more hunting spots around the cities, maybe 5-10 min from Tir, Athen, etc., where outposts are plentiful.

As a Crat, I have to tell you that those speeches are mana from heaven. Even if they "spam the chat", they make us useful in teams. I don't care about chat spamming, this is AO, not AIM. Plus people in heavily populated areas will usually pay me to turn it off....and I have zero problems with that.

The new AI sounds very interesting, I'm eager to hear/see more.

And, for christ sake, help out the fixers. I don't understand how those poor folks cope with the gimped-ness of their profession. I really feel for them. Show a little Fixer love.

Karanah, lvl 80 Clan Crat

Communication is good.

And, Gaute did seem to understand agents' issue with concealment. Yes, some of us can sneak full hard missions(with difficulty). Others can't... but overall, we're certainly not saying, "let us sneak full hard missions better!". This would be ridiculous.

As mentioned by Gaute, we want concealment to work >way< better against yellows and greens and greys.

The one thing he left out was the aimed shot issues. Aimed shot is based on concealment, and so the random way that concealment is calculated at any given moment means that we all have to go in and out of sneak mode over and over, hitting the aimed shot button over and over and over to finally get it to work. This is ridiculous. Aimed shot concealment needs to be severed from regular concealment and figured in a completely different way.

With 1000 in concealment, I sat and tested my aimed shot against reets and other level 1 mobs yesterday, and a sizeable percentage of the time "the monster was aware of my presence" and I had to go in and out of sneak mode and ram on the stupid 'o' key dozens of times in a row to get it to work.

But, we will hopefully have an opportunity to explain all in detail when the agent fix is being prepared.

Overall, I want to say that this sort of communication between Funcom and the players is exactly what we need. And I'd like to see about 10 times more of it, 10 times more often.

I agree lilnymph.
    fixers arent calling to be uber, we are just calling for some attention.
    but every fixer issue is ignored or appears to be brushed aside as if un important.
    we are told that we have things in the works and we will be happy with them. no details, just teasers. while other proffesions get details such as where they are in the list, when they are going to get a patch for them.

all we have documented is the black market, which we have heard nothing official about, and grid looks... which I cant see as worth the time to code or design unless they make the grid more than a place to travel through for 5 seconds.
    both of these things are envisioned.. not in progress.. and now we find that we are not getting a patch before the MA's the agents the advents or the NTs.
    every profession wants a patch like the MP patch and no profession needs it more than fixers.
    if we are currently in the process of being fixed can you at leats give us some information on when you started or when you tried or what on earth you are thinking with some of the things that you come up with for fixers.
    because so far nothing brought into the game could even nearly be called a fixer fix.
    Grid armour was getting there, almost, well it makes those who have it playable. but it is unobtainable. especially for the casual players.

the fixers need a fix more than anyone else
    give us a patch or at least give us all of the info you have on what you are planning for us so we can see what you are thinking and where you are going with the profession. so we can descide if we should bother continuing.

today I am one pissed fixer

As a bureaucrat I like the proposed changes to crowd control, and thanks for the new speech nanos - crit buffs are cool

I feel I can solo well even at higher levels (well, 96 anyway), as Gaute said pet classes are doing ok. What I would like to see is more diversity like increased number of high level spawns, team missions, and other stuff to do like tradeskill things etc. I don't want to hunt all the time, so something fun to do that doesn't involve missions would be nice (after team missions are implemented of course - max focus on these please).

And please fix MAs, Fixers and Agents
    Vincent Stritzke
    Omni-Tek Rubi-Ka

thumbs up

This is my first Post here but that doesnt mean i m the complete newbie here before everyone jumps at me....

First thing i d like to say bout this article is ....

THATS WHAT I CALL CUSTOMER CARE

and i really mean that...

i ve read so many threads bout not caring for customers need and that kinda stuff that i feel ...now u are on the right way and a big thumbs up on this one.

I know there will still be room for improvement and at any given time a special char class will feel that this class is underpowered, isnt good for team play etc. etc ....

So far i can say (yet) i played four char classes up to lvls around 30 (yeah .. i know ...wait till u reach higher lvls wait till u get bored of missions bla bla)... so what ?

I have fun and thats why i am here.... if i wont i ll quit even without a word. Does someone really think they (FC) takes special care if u post a thead like fu*** the sh*** up i ll quit immediately if u dont fix .... whatever ??? Is someone really that kind of primitive ??? Its still my money and i m not willing to pay for something i dont like ...right ?

Rarely i see posts ... good work best ever seen .. and stuff like that . So this is one !

I recognize the excellent work so far and i still see the possibilitys where this game can go to. Have someone of u ever tried a diffrent MMorg like DAoC ? I did and even DA launched (well, at least in Gemany) a good time behind after AO the Grapics in DA su** as hell compared to this one as an example. U dont even have a Map to find a loacation so most time u run around like an Idiot tryin to find a spot.
    And right now some DA lovers jump on me and post things like ... but u know how long it takes before they fix a problem like ...
    Yep , right but could i be possible that there are much more people hangin around here than DA ??? So it becomes just a little easier to down a server for patchwork, eh ?
    Sure did this game still have diffrerent things better than AO but isnt it possible to look sometimes on the bright side of life (game) ?

So during game play (here) i made quite a few very good friend from around the word ( if u read this Hi Miakoo, Nidre and Anon) and we have such a good time together exept the simple monster-huntin-exp-gaining stuff and kind like this.
    I still start laughing when i remember our last visit to the Nightclub in Tir where i ve made that special screenshot.. thats my favorite Desktop Wallpaper and it puts a smile on my face every time i start the PC.

Well i could go on and on with so much good things in this game but my basic point i d like to say is :

guess u are on the right way now FC. Give ur community more threads like this, more input about what u are doin how desicions are made and we ll have a loooong time together (even that my phone bill will kill me someday). And for the people criticizin (hope, i wrote it right) i d like to say .... yep, keep it on put all the critics u have up in here but please do it constructive. It really doesnt help if u post threads like ... i quit if .... that just fills message boards and doesnt help in any way. Hell it even blocks moderators from readin the "important" threads ...

so, cya all in the game then

Gloozee (and i play a Fixer and i m lot yellin bout fix me first !)
    Enija (MP ... good work on pet pathfindin last patch.. it works like a dream)
    and 3 more (hehe... wont tell everything here exept one is a NT and its like a cakewalk so far)

I'm sure that the list of professions to fix was rather off-hand, but this non-fixer definitely believes that fixer is the most gimped profession bar none! The things given to this profession have been almost universally useless and it needs to get some attention fast. Grid armor is great but is so rare that the instruction disks go in the millions, I'm sure that by now you understand how useless the various summon nanos are.

My suggestion is that you look at each profession and see whether they are: able to solo ca. 60% missions when played by good players; able to contribute in groups to an extent that they will actually be wanted and not just taken if there are no better alternatives; have a highly sought after over-equipping buff or tradeskill that can be sold, as this is the basis of the Rubi-Ka economy at this point.

When the game started, the worst professions, in order, seemed to be MP, crat, fixer. You have made the MP into arguably the best profession and given small adds to the crat and minimal help to the fixer. The worst professions now seem to be fixer, adventurer, crat.

Implement the rest of the crat promises (most especially paperwork tradeskills!) and we'll be off that list. Make the Psychic checks better and you'll not have to listen to us anymore. :]

Scorus

/me takes a deep breath

ok, things i didnt say.
    thanks for the article. I do appreciate it, alot of people are constantly shouting for info on what funcom are thinking and this gives us exactly that.
    thanks for the customer support and the info.
    but now listen to the customers shouting about fixers k?

thanks again
    /me has calmed down a little.. but will still continue to rant about fixers as it appears to be how you go about getting fixed

Yes, that sounds fun ;c)

Now what about going through the changes that you've done to fixers, because I'm not seeing them.

BTW, GREAT article.. you have no idea how much I learned about how the game works and what you focus on.
    Christopher "Gogliostro" McClymonds - Neutral Circus Artist for Forsaken
    Epos "Levandri" Nine - Clan Tradesman for Forsaken
    Sherwood "Velorik" Cordiero - Neutral Patcher for Oddities
    Augustus "Cipheron" Shone - Neutral Leet for Oddities
    Stormbringer "Keelan" Nine - Neutral Mute for Oddities
    Prince "Vidorian" Swicord - "The First One"
    Joseph "Silensus" Markarian - Clan Memory for Concubia Nocte
    Prince "Kahveh" Delaet - Neutral Coffeemaker for Oddities

Re: Hunting Grounds

Originally posted by Steroidjerk
    I think more hunting grounds are a highly desired item we would like to see implimented. Change them or something!! Case in point: I roll a new char then my hunting grounds are as follows every single time and it gets old:

Mutie Camp just outside ent in the forest.
    Mutie Camp east of baraxs.
    Mutie Camp south of that one
    SW pipe in lush near op
    SW mine in lush
    NW mine in lush
    VB's in 20k
    Shades Shade Shades OMG MORE SHADES
    Bothackers + Claw Camp
    Medusas<-----NERFED TO ALL HECK AND MORE !!!!!! (Impossible To Hunt If You Didnt Know)
    Missions Missions Missions and lets see MORE MISSIONS UTILL LVL 200 OUT OF BROKEN SHORES<-----YOU MIGHT AS WELL CALL THAT AREA BROKEN GAME CAUSE THATS WHERE WE FEEL YOU LEFT OFF

Basically I feel I can level at a decent pace through lvl 80 and I generally have fun doing it; however, what then. Meds were cool; they were hard but very cool. That is gone now and when we got a clanner in our group and killed the poor omni guards for xp(so lame) we had a chance. That is now gone. So where can i lvl up. If there were places to go we would have found them by now. How about a hint of a cool spot to level past 80, as I am SURE you at FC did not intend for all to suffer through missions untill lvl 200. Thanks.

Steroidjerk 142 Atrox Beam Wielding Enforcer
    Meatpopsike 82 Atrox Beam Wielding NanoTech
    Eaxtmxe 48 Atrox Trader Dual Wielding El Diablos
    Imonfire 38 Atrox Beam Wielding Martial Artist*Beams are too cool
    It's not that there is no where else to hunt, it's that no one else goes anywhere else. If you're omni, I could show you loads of other places to hunt. Problem is, most other places don't have the convenience of sitting in one place and hitting Q all day for mass XP with almost no risk. Right now, I'm doing my best to level without EVER going to lush hills. Problem is, it's real hard to find a team. Luckily, I'm in the largest guild on RK, so I can usually find a few people to explore with me. Just for example... here's where I usually hunt in low levels...
    (These are just the GC areas, there are lots more in other places)
    1-4 or so backyards
    5-12 or so galway shire (outside rome blue)
    13-20 or so bull bridge (galway county)
    20-30 or so hammer breeders, plants, bulls in north GC
    30-40 or so Scorpid pit (galway county)
    40-60 or so Manteze area (poole, in galway county)

a few other good spots...
    20-30 various places in clon****
    30-50 a few places in 2h0, a few spots in clon****
    40-60 a few places in andromeda
    40-60 a few places in 4 holes

Mid hunting... upper stret east, andromeda, longest road

As for high level hunting... Milky way, broken shores, belial, longest road, PW, EFP, etc. But wait, you say... that's more risk than just doing missions all day next to a save term... tough crap. Try playing the game instead of mindlessly doing missions over and over again.

I could go on, but that's enough for now. The beauty of it is... I NEVER hunted mutants. I saw the entire world in my low levels, instead of being one of the many lvl80 noobs out there who has never left Lush fields ops.

This is actually a good game, but most people just burn out because they never take the time to do new and fun things (like hunt something else, somewhere else, for a change)

-D

Ok, for the firt time in my life I am having to remind myself that this is just a game.

I am furious.

But it is just a game. But it is just a game.

Where is the Fixer fix? Where was the Fixer fix? Over and over we were told that our fix was on the way. We were next. Remember "Super Duper Cool". We were also told, point blank, the the changes in the game up to this point were not the Fixer's fix but the they were on the way. And now we get this crap.

Having tried fixing for instance the Fixer or Agent, does not mean we have a profession that is finished in balancing compared to the others. We will most likely come back to them very soon. The next profession we are improving in ability is the Martial Artist. After that we do the Agent again, and then most likely the Adventurer - maybe the Nano-Technician
    I am so close to quitting right now. (btw I truely hate it when people say that, but at this point I don't really care).

Don't really know what to say? I am waiting for the "Oh it was a mistake on my part and the Fixer is still the next profession to get some luv, post". If that doesn't come and I mean soon... well connect the dots.

P.S. I havn't read this thread yet so if this has already been covered then sorry for the duplication.

No I'm not, I'm just pissed.
    Last edited by Crin; Feb 8th, 2002 at 18:50:09.

Dropcid: aah, reminds me of the days where the BB in Galway County was THE place to get a group. It was so much fun taking teams way up north to the nature preserve or up do do young minnimamoths when the hammer breeders were camped. Anybody who was raised out in lush never knew fear. Every grouping I had out to Poole to hunt manteze was full of excitement. You always knew somebody would die, but you fought your best because it was good xp. Or when you could finally team in the cage, and the Gargantula Challenger would come through and wipe out a team.... then everyone in the cage would stop what they were doin just to take it down.

Lush fields is just an xp terminal.

Great Article............ I think that this type of support is what everyone has been asking for. Basically recognition that you hear us and are taking our suggustions into consideration along with your course of action for resolve. I know not all issues and all classes were represented, but its a start and far better than the canned "We are looking into that" response of the past.

Keep up articles such as this and put the proposed Thread for "This class is getting love next patch what needs addressed" and as a whole the community will be happier, minus the never happy always complaining type trolls which exist with every game....

Overall a step in the right direction and signs that this game still has promise and will continue to improve :P
    ~*~ Nanoprincess ~*~
    Katelin Cyani Kerans

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast