Thread: Some thought on the Tir/Newland situation

Some thought on the Tir/Newland situation

I was thinking about the whole situation with the Sentinels and the Hired Thugs and the reactions and comments I am seeing around and I had a few thoughts that truely disgusted me.

Everyone who cries that the Sentinels and EO are doing something wrong are most likely just hypocrites.

Bear with me a moment as I work through this.

With the exception of OT, neither the clans nor the neutrals actually have a government (CoT was basically kicked out). In addition to a lack of governing body, neither the clans nor the neutrals have a law enforcement or court system.

Almost all citizens of Rubi-Ka undertake some sort of mission, almost daily. In those missions they are required to kill. Usually the targets are the enemy faction (although for neutrals its anyone), but included in these missions are regular neutrals. They are killed along side the enemy by almost everyone on the planet.

"Why are they there if they are not the enemy?" you may ask. Well, does simply being in a Omni or clan city make a neutral aligned? Does doing buisness with OT or the clans make a neutral aligned? No.

"But they attacked me first! They must be the enemy!" Maybe, or maybe they are acting like you would if someone stormed into your place of buisness, guns blazing. Could they simply be defending themselves? Maybe, that is what a court would decide.

"Well, I dont do missions like that." Ok, but have you ever slaughtered Bothackers or Virusbuilders or the like as they walk around their ramshackle homes in the wilderness? These neutrals dont even attack you until you come running up and blast them.

"But they are criminals!" Without a cout system these people have never been convicted. Legally they arent criminals. You deciding that they are and killing them is just vigillante justice, which is essentially murder.

"Well someone has to step up and eliminate the criminals!" Like the Sentinels are doing? Sure not all the neutrals they kill are criminals, and they arent doing it as a law enforcement body, but how can anyone attack them for stepping up without the concent of the masses and then do it themselves.

So, what all this have to do with the Sentinels and Newland?
    Well, I have seen poeple crying out that the Sentinels and EO have taken the law into their own hands. That they have no right to do so.

Isnt that what you are doing in every mission, or every camp you destroy?

With no courts to convict anyone that makes EVERYONE a vigillante! Every citizens goes out and takes the law into their own hands as they see fit.

Legally, the "justice" that vigillantes bring is the same as murder.

Now, I dont want to imply that everyone killed in the war for Rubi-Ka was innocent or all the soldiers out there are all criminals. I am talking about private missions you take on for money, or attacks on people who are clearly not invloved. Those are done for greed or vigillante justice.

How is what the Sentinels are doing any worse than that? Yes, they target all non clanners indiscriminately, but in a misison do you let the neutrals go free? Of course you dont.

Are the actions of the Sentinels worse because of their philosophy and ideology? No, it just makes it easier for you to justify what you do. "I'm not as bad as the Sentinels because I dont want genocide, but its ok if I kill innocents and take the law into my own hands like they do"

So the Sentinels didnt talk to anyone first. Do you ask permission to slaughter neutrals in missions? Do you think you should?

"But the Sentinels are criminals" Go set up a legitimate court and let the public decide. Individuals should never make their own justice, that what courts are for. Stop taking the law into your own hands, just like the Sentinels did then claiming to be different or better than they are. Until then, everyone who kills neutral indisciminately in missions or in their camps, anyone whop takes the law into their own hands, anyone who attacks or acts without asking some non-existant council is at best a pathetic hypocrite, at worst a murderer.

Do I think the Sentinels are right? No I dont. I dont support them at all. What seems patheic to me are all the people crying foul who have done the same sort of thing their entire life on Rubi-Ka. The loud minority that hold the Sentinels to a double standard. "Do as I say, not as I do" is not a good motto for building a new government on Rubi-Ka (OT already has that one in the south).

Edit: I know some people are trying to setup some form of clan government, and I applaud that. If you suceed, setup a court as well. BUT, since I assume this new governemnt wouldnt force anyone to be a member of their "nation" it wont be legally possible to enforce laws broken by non-members against non-memebers.

If for instance, the Sentinels do not wish to join in a new democratic (or whatever) governemnt, forcing them to would be about the same as OT forcing their will upon clanners and I dont think thats justified. If they do not wish to join, they will not be bound by the laws of the new government. If they should "break" a law by attacking a non-member the new government will not legally be able to do anything about it. If the new government should attempt to impose its laws on non-members and to enforce its laws amongst the non-member population it would be essentially the same as OT comming into Tir and enforcing OT Law in the clan population (which any non-OT employee will tell you isnt a good thing).
    Last edited by Fakonamo; Feb 16th, 2003 at 22:04:11.