Thread: Marisha's origin tale

Marisha's origin tale

Omni-Medical operating room audio file. Doctor Philip Lightner, Nurse Shelia Runge attending physicians. Operation date: October 14th, 29466. Operation description: Implantation of Omni-Tech type 38 Foreign Organic Material Hunter-Seeker Factory running Omni-Soft Hunt-Seek v18.6.

Transcript begins.

Nurse Runge: “Begin recording. Nurse Shelia Runge assisting Doctor Philip Lightner. Patient is one Meta Durousseau, Bureaucrat contracted to… Omni-education. What is a teacher doing up in the mines? Trying to teach Atrox to read? Doctor Lightner has just inserted suction tube into patients digestive tract.”

Doctor Lightner: “Terrible design. Should have separated the canals, you know. So long as the digestive and the respiratory share the same pathways, you’ll have the danger of choking on vomit. Terrible way to die. Omni Med should have designed the new Homo lines with two mouths. Much more efficient.”

N: “True. But then they would have been even more freakish. Homo Opifex has such a terrible skin tone. Almost corpselike, don’t you think? And their ideas of hair fashion. Laughable. Do you want to head over to Rompa after work tonight?”

D: “Quiet. I think this one is waking up. Miss Meta Durousseau? Can you hear me? There’s been a terrible accident and you are recovering at Omni Med. No, please don’t bite on that. It keeps your lungs clear should you vomit while you are unconscious. I’ll remove it. There will be discomfort, mind you. There. Much better, yes?”

N: “My name is Nurse Runge, this is Doctor Lightner. We are your attending physicians. Can you tell me what the date is? Pupil dilation seems good, Doctor.”

Patient Durousseau: “October… Fourteenth? Twenty nine, four sixty six.”

D: “Good. Now Meta, may I call you Meta? There’s been an accident. That’s why you’re here. The Dust Brigade attacked the mines at Argentum. Your lucky your family had you insured. You will feel a great deal of disorientation and confusion. This is a natural side effect of the resurrection. Have you ever died before? No? Well, let me be the first to congratulate you on your return from that recently discovered country. No. No, don’t pass out on me.”

N: “Should I hit her with a stim, Doctor?”

D: “No, I think she might come around. Look at the vitals. See, massive blood pressure drop… Say, is that internal bleeding? I suppose we should do something about that. Hit her with some nanites to patch that mess up. Should have the factory installed in a moment.”

N: “So, what are teachers doing on the front lines?”

D: “I read some article in the Times about how this group of Opifex are leasing abandoned sections of the mines and turning them into housing up in Argentum. Getting it dirt-cheap by the way. They work in the mines, live in the mines.”

N: “So they can avoid the sun and get even worse complexions? Splendid. Nano factory shows optimal placement. Wonderful work, Doctor.”

D: “I’m an artist at heart. Their moving their entire families up there, I read. Their public relations guy said something about how parents will work harder and fight to the death knowing their children are nearby. Speaking of housing, I hear you and Donivan have got a new place up in Rome.”

N: “Yes. You should come and see it. Where having a house warming party on the twenty-seventh. You should come. Bring Jack too.”

D: “Jack doesn’t do parties. Too shy. Never takes me dancing. Ah, she’s starting to come around again.”

N: “Miss Durousseau? It’s me, Nurse Runge again. Here. This button will inject a synthetic opiate into your bloodstream if the pain gets to bad. Whenever you can’t endure the pain, press this button. Yes, just like that. No, you can’t press it again. It has a five minute reset before you can get another.”

D: “Meta, we need to discuss your condition. Can you understand me? Do you realize that you were three months pregnant?”

P: “Yes… The pain is very bad, Doctor…”

D: “We’ve had some problems after the seventh, when the insurance databases were sabotaged. We’ve been working around the clock to fix those problems, and I’m afraid that your file has had significant data degradation. When you insured last, your child’s genetic pattern was saved as well. There has been significant genetic data over bleed into your file, after the sabotage. There’s no easy way to say this, Meta. Your child’s life force pattern has dissipated, and his genetic structure has comprised your own.”

P: “My child…”

D: “Irrevocably dead, I’m afraid. However, because of the sabotage, and the data over bleed, you have foreign tissue developing in your body, almost like a form of cancer. We’ve had to implant a nanite factory inside you. These nanites will seek out and destroy all foreign tissue within your body that does not match your genetics. Otherwise, there is the danger that one of your organs could begin to develop a mass of foreign tissue, resulting in organ rejection and system failure. This will unfortunately be a factory that you must carry for the rest of your life. If only you had died after your file had been repaired.”

P: “My…”

D: “Your worried about your pregnancy. It’s not like you can never get another child, mind you. There is an expensive process where two of your eggs can be combined. Now, you will be essentially giving birth to yourself, almost a form of cloning you see. Now, it is experimental, and success is not guaranteed…”

N: “Doctor, she’s passed out again.”

D: “Well, her vitals have stabilized. Send her to post op. Nothing more we can do for her here. So, who’s on the slab next? Ten credits say it’s a male nano.”

N: “Your bet is accepted. This is Nurse Runge, assisting Doctor Lightner. End recording.”

Transcript end.
    Marisha Durousseau, War Dominatrix of The Honored Maidens

Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright?--CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Ethics of Greed"

Read Marisha's Journal, and see what she's doing

July 12th, 29468, Northern Artery Valley

The Sergeant was just about to decide who would carry Stackpole back to the LZ when the shot rang out. Instinctually, he dove to the ground, trying to identify where the shot had come from and where his best cover would be. Not everyone in the squad was diving for cover. Amateurs, he thought, are going to be the death of me.

“Durousseau, get you ass down!” Idiot girl doesn’t even know to find cover, and she’s our sniper. This recon is just going great. First, Stackpole blows his damn fool foot off…. Durousseau was holstering her pistol, and was splattered with blood. Stackpole’s corpse had just begun to dissolve as the nanites went to work digesting the organic matter. Alverez eyes were wide with shock as he cradled his grenade launcher, mumbling to himself “You shot him in the head…. In the head.”

“What the hell is your malfunction, Durousseau?” Friendly fire accidents were an acceptable risk in the Omni Tech Armed Forces, but Durousseau had just evacuated a wounded solders head in front of her squad. As she turned to him, he immediately noticed that her eyes were cold and hard.

“Sir,” she spoke calmly, “the toecutter mine had immobilized Private Stackpole. To transport him back to the LZ would of required two additional soldiers. The Clans would of succeeded in neutralizing three soldiers before contact with the enemy had been made. Private Stackpole had submitted to a cellular scan before leaving base, per military doctrine, and in all likelihood is reforming as we speak. We need to be at optimal combat efficiency for when we reach the enemy obstacle lines.”

“You don’t go shooting men in your own squad! What the hell are you thinking?”

Private Durousseau moved in close, and spoke calmly. “You weren’t born here, Sir. Colonists can’t understand the true nature of Rubi-Ka. Only natives. We don’t have wars here. The last war ended the moment Omni-Tech caved to ICC pressures and gave the ressurection technology to the Clans. Before that moment, we could have ended all conflict on this planet. We could have had an unstoppable army that could not die. ICC pressure ended that possibility. When the Clans got the tech, war ended here. There are only extended battles of attrition and a drain on resources. This attrition will last until one side decides it cuts to deep into their bottom line, and doesn’t make economic sense anymore. Only a native can understand this. Foreigners who learned their jobs offworld can never really understand.”

The big Atrox with the laser nodded his head. “She’s got a point, Sarge. That’s how it is around here.” The natives in the squad were nodding. The offworlders seemed shell shocked.

The Sergeant stared at Private Durousseau. What has driven this girl to become such a nut? Is it something inherent in growing up on a world where you know you won’t die if you have the cash, or did something happen that made her insane? Her given name was Meta, but she insisted that everyone call her Marisha, which meant bitter or pissed off in some other language she spoke snippets of. She trained like she had something to prove, and during live fire exercises she often seemed to have no regard for her safety. Most disturbing was the “No Organic Transfusions” warning sticker on her armor, and tattooed on her arms. He had tried to get information on her condition months ago, but Omni-Med was being difficult, claiming it was part of the doctor-patient confidentiality agreement.

“Goddess, Durousseau, Stackpole is going to wanna kick your ass nine ways to Sunday, and I ain't gona do a damn thing to stop him. When we get back to base, I’m gona put you in for a transfer to another unit.” In the good name of Buffy, how in the hell am I going to pull this group back together, now that crazy girl Marisha’s done broke it apart? I am gonna have to ride her ass, and bring everyone together in their hatred for her. Sad thing is, she’s right.

Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright?--CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Ethics of Greed"

Now, for the OOC bit...

OOC: I wrote these two up may months ago, and have been meaning to share them with the larger RP community as a whole for a while now. There is a part three, but every time I work on it, I hate elements of it more, and it continues to grow and get longer, which is sad in a way since it’s all built around one line. Your comments and criticism is welcome and desired.

OOC

I wrote a couple of chapters to my bio as well before loosing momentum. The work is good. The longer we wait...the more needs to be caught up! Maybe i'll get around to catching up to present day....
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

OCC:Marisha,
    Your tales are pretty good. When i started my background story
    on this board , it was nothing like your stories. My was very basic.
    Keep up the good work!
    Rheena
    The Honored Maidens